Photo

IV vs V in terms of atmosphere/vibe

123 replies to this topic
Budweiser Addict
  • Budweiser Addict

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:52 PM

To be honest, I felt that IV had a much better atmosphere and vibe than GTA V did. I mean yes, Liberty City was a dark and gloomy place, but I really felt connected to it more so than LS and Blaine County. Following San Andreas much of the fanbase has come to the assumption that Grand Theft Auto is just some bright and sunny mountain climbing simulator.

The fact of the matter is that in a dark urban jungle you actually feel as if crime is going on all around you, whereas in GTA V it really felt as if your character were a part of just handful of criminals situated around the city. But like I said, that's simply my own opinion.

Which do you feel has a better vibe to it?
  • Ferocious Banger and Shah Sam like this

casper13
  • casper13

Cas

• Members

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:54 PM

GTA V, end of discussion.

• DaRkL3AD3R likes this

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Members
  • Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:01 PM

GTA IV makes me feel like I'm apart of a crime ridden sh*thole whereas GTA V feels like a holiday.

The gleaming skyscrapers, cold, trash filled streets, the sound of the subway smashing the tracks, seagulls near the water etc just make GTA IV that more atmospheric to me.
  • Apex., Sakurai Aoi and Shah Sam like this

undrtow218
  • undrtow218

ehh..

• Members

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:41 PM

Because I have been to NYC and not LA, I felt more connected and more relatable to IV. That sounded a little stuck up, but made sense in my head. The cold, hard feeling of Liberty City was more real to me than the glamour and shine of all the fast cars and that 'east coast vibe' that Los Santos gives off. None the less, I still find both games to be quite amazing. 

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

''Cool it, assholes''

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:07 PM Edited by Tenxax, 06 November 2013 - 04:10 PM.

I really liked LS, it had more of an ''alive'' vibe. Pedestrians actually talking to eachother or focused in updating their LifeIndaver statuses. Police Officers on foot that travel on pairs stopping at Homeless people commanding them to move along, the sound of Sirens and Firetrucks, the ambulances responding to somewhere and Police on pursuit of vehicles, the unique pedestrians you can find around like Jesse or Baygor The Epsilonist.

The Highway filled with vehicles and that change from LS to BC, where you can actually see that LS is filled with smog and such, the gardeners taking care of the Country club and Road Workers drilling holes.

Mirror Park with the hipsters and that really nice lake, the normal suburban area.. the beaches with the people that are bathing or gettin' themselves a natural tan, Sports freaks; Joggers runnin' around with their dogs or people in bicycles doing some sort of race.

Solomon's studios with the Sec Guards and the Alien or Astronout dressed Actors plus that Italy scenary being worked on by Staff, Michael going around showing Jim that hes happy with the outcome

East LS/Strawberry with the Gangs hangin' around the Projects and Grove Street with their pimped up cars, sometimes goes up in a fight, the Families greeting Franklin but with Michael or Trevor they're hostile to.

The ports filled with actual workers going about their day transporting trailers from here to there and the weird French Disorted Police Siren sound that goes around plus that beeping.

I really feel LS has more vibe rather than LC

• IveGotNoValues, Jacob-B, Ola441 and 1 other like this

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:07 PM Edited by Official General, 06 November 2013 - 04:09 PM.

GTA IV makes me feel like I'm apart of a crime ridden sh*thole whereas GTA V feels like a holiday.

The gleaming skyscrapers, cold, trash filled streets, the sound of the subway smashing the tracks, seagulls near the water etc just make GTA IV that more atmospheric to me.

Count me in, I'm with you on this  :^:

Felt exactly the same way.

@ NikoVercetti112

Very true indeed. GTA IV has more of that organized crime/gang feel in it's atmosphere because those elements were heavily involved in the storyline. GTA V just feels like a a few bunch of criminals causing havoc in the city, while everybody just goes about their everyday business. If V had more of a gang/OC element to it's storyline, then I would have felt differently, but they hardly figured.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:09 PM

They both have very different atmospheres. 

This thread is, essentially, like the age-old debate of East coast vs West coast hip hop, Pepsi vs Coke, SNES vs Genesis/Mega Drive.

I liked both. Haven't really decided which I like most yet, as I haven't had 5 years to play V yet. 

• Barry Spock, Nameless Foot Soldier and Jacob-B like this

Tashan
  • Tashan

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:10 PM

On the contrary, V is way better for the atmosphere where IV falls short.

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

''Cool it, assholes''

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:26 PM Edited by Tenxax, 06 November 2013 - 04:27 PM.

What Official General wants is C.J 2.0 Implemented into the game.

Without taking consideration that the game is based more of ''HEAT'' rather than the Gangster approach of S.A

GTA V haves it's gangs, mobs are scarce but Gangs. Gangs there are a lot.

The Koreans

Los Santos Triads

The Ballas

The Families

The Vagos

Varrio Los Aztecas

The Lost MC

Madrazos Cartel

The Armenian Mafia

The Rednecks (Survivors of Trevor's passage on the O'Neils farm)

Marabunda Grande

Assasins and even the Gambettis are referenced (You get to save Sonny/Sammy's daughter during a random event)

Gtaman_92
  • Gtaman_92

Securing the bag.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:29 PM Edited by Gtaman_92, 06 November 2013 - 04:38 PM.

IV had the best atmosphere. 

• Shah Sam likes this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:30 PM Edited by Matty H, 08 November 2013 - 10:59 AM.

OP I agree with you GTA IV had a much better atmosphere and overall Liberty City was filled with various gangs who inhabited different areas of the city whereas there are apparently no criminals in Los Santos apart from the Families & Ballas and of course annoying rich pricks like Devin Weston

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:32 PM

What Official General wants is C.J 2.0 Implemented into the game.

Without taking consideration that the game is based more of ''HEAT'' rather than the Gangster approach of S.A

GTA V haves it's gangs, mobs are scarce but Gangs. Gangs there are a lot.

The Koreans

Los Santos Triads

The Ballas

The Families

The Vagos

Varrio Los Aztecas

The Lost MC

Madrazos Cartel

The Armenian Mafia

The Rednecks (Survivors of Trevor's passage on the O'Neils farm)

Marabunda Grande

Assasins and even the Gambettis are referenced (You get to save Sonny/Sammy's daughter during a random event)

The Problem is there is no real connection with the Gangs whereas in GTA IV or San Andreas or even Vice City you interact with the various gangs in the missions

in GTA V they are just there

Shmiqq
  • Shmiqq

you know how it is man

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:33 PM

To me it's like, GTA 5 to GTA 4 can be compared to GTA SA (or VC) to GTA 3. Crap-load of features, much brighter, less dark, less of a creepy tune.

Playing GTA 5 a lot made me want to play GTA 4 again, like a bad craving. Only thing stopping me is the driving. Hard to come back from GTA 5's new driving.

Mukaparska
  • Mukaparska

Rat

• Members

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:34 PM Edited by Mukaparska, 06 November 2013 - 04:35 PM.

Well, I like the countryside atmosphere in GTA V, but GTA IV managed to create a city atmosphere a lot better. It really felt you're in the middle of a crime riddled, dirty, busy and grey city. I didn't mind about the game not having much colors, it created that kind of an urban feeling. In GTA V, the city just isn't as deep, and you don't feel like you're part of it. '

Overall, I think GTA IV has better atmosphere. 

E: And also, I liked how the gangs looked pretty normal, not like they all have same kind of colorful clothes. 

• HoleInTheSky likes this

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

''Cool it, assholes''

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:48 PM

Because V doesn't shove every in-game gang into you making them your enemies or being the bitch or lap dog for them , there is a lot but the story only incorporates The Cartel, the Triads, The Families, The Vagos and the Ballas, the Lost, The ONeils and a PMC. While the others are just presented to make the game feel even more alive.

spamtackey
  • spamtackey

Business Socks

• Members

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:53 PM

I wouldn't say either really had better atmosphere but rather completely different atmosphere. It's like comparing Gotham City from Batman Begins to Metropolis in Man of Steel. Gotham is obviously meant to be a crappy place to live and stay and you can see it all over the place. It's one of the things I was most disappointed that they didn't keep up when they made The Dark Knight and Rises. Everything suddenly became clean and the city looked nicer and average. (And where the hell did the tram go? Did they just pull it down because nobody wanted to rebuild ONE section of track?) 

In GTA IV we're supposed to be in a gritty crime infested rathole of a city. In GTA V we're supposed to follow an ex-bank robber to a place where he gets away from crime. Two different stories, two different cities, two different presentations, two different feels. Neither is really better or worse except by personal preference IMO. 

• Ermac, ReekyAlex and JustOneMonth like this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:53 PM

Because V doesn't shove every in-game gang into you making them your enemies or being the bitch or lap dog for them , there is a lot but the story only incorporates The Cartel, the Triads, The Families, The Vagos and the Ballas, the Lost, The ONeils and a PMC. While the others are just presented to make the game feel even more alive.

but the problem is not even those gangs you listed have real presence in the game apart 1-2 missions

the only "Gang" V which is important is the FIB (throughout the whole story we are lapdogs of them) and Merryweather ( enemies the whole story)

TabooV2
  • TabooV2

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:54 PM

V > IV

Tashan
  • Tashan

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:57 PM

V = IV > SA > VC

JustOneMonth
  • JustOneMonth

Griefer? Better Call Saul!

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:59 PM

That's, just, like, your opinion man.

LC, but i liked both anyways.

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

''Cool it, assholes''

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:07 PM

Well, i'd rather be the Lap dog of a goverment agency and have cool things to do like rappel down a building and extract a presumed dead person rather than go and simply kill a Mob boss just to create a war between two Mafias.

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:15 PM Edited by gtarules_95, 06 November 2013 - 05:18 PM.

Well, i'd rather be the Lap dog of a goverment agency and have cool things to do like rappel down a building and extract a presumed dead person rather than go and simply kill a Mob boss just to create a war between two Mafias.

WTF dude its GTA not f*cking COD where you do this stuff like fighting terrorists and infiltrating buildings

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:16 PM Edited by ThroatSlasher2, 06 November 2013 - 05:25 PM.

I have never been to either NYC or LA in my life but, I felt more like I was really in New York City when playing IV. I kinda feel like I am in LA when playing V but ..  only when Im at the beach or looking at the LS Skyscrapers.

Edit: Perhaps it's because IV utilized the cold, gritty vibe of NY right from the get-go. The story of Niko made sense in the city it was told in. I think V did not do that. V's story could have been told anywhere IMO. Unfortunately, every plot points where it would have made sense for this story to be told in LA, were barely used, (if used at all). e.g: The hood story with Franklin, or Trevor with the Lost MC ( could have been A.O.D, for a more quality storyline ), heists that made more sense. Etc. 

• Mukaparska likes this

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

''Cool it, assholes''

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:31 PM

1st. of all, Im not your Dude, Buddy.

2nd. There were a lot of Corrupted Goverment Officials and Police Officers in most of the games, I remember Colonel Cortez giving you missions such as to steal a tank from a Military Convoy and stop the french GIGN and other agencies from Arresting him.

3rd. You're not fighting Terrorists all the damn time, the only time where I've killed a Terrorist was on the Hostile Negotiation mission, other missions had me kill G-Men and yeah make me infiltrate facilites.

4th. Just because I like those missions doesn't mean I want Grand Call of Theft Duty: Modern Autos, making those assumptions just make you seem a Little bit sutpid.

Tashan
  • Tashan

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:36 PM

Grand Call of Theft Duty: Modern Auto
LMAO
This game will rock. 3 games in 1 packaged deal to offer, cool!

RPhilMan1
  • RPhilMan1

Now or Never

• Members

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:24 PM

I also prefer the atmosphere of IV.

I just feel too disconnected in V.

RolfStarGames
  • RolfStarGames

Hustler

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:30 PM Edited by RolfStarGames, 06 November 2013 - 07:33 PM.

I also prefer the atmosphere of IV.

I just feel too disconnected in V.

Same here, for some reason GTA V reminds me the PS Home.

Harbour_Studio_%26_Avatar_PS_Home.JPG

PS_Home_Hollywood-Hills-600x337.png

• RPhilMan1 likes this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade
  • Italy
  • Best Poster [Vehicles] 2016

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:39 PM

I prefer IV. I just think Los Santos feels too superficial and, well, I prefer darker environments/whether sometimes. I enjoy the real Southern California vibe though. The Southern California vibe in V feels a little too twisted around, I honestly found it disappointing. I want I lot of clear sky days, less rain, dryer land, and better car culture.

Something about IV's atmosphere just attached to me though. Feels believable, serious, and just plain better. But that is just me. I know how fisty you V section people get when you partially read different opinions.

CorporalBean675
  • CorporalBean675

Icaras

• Members

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:30 PM

f*cking finally someone who takes atmospheres and vibes into account. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who cares. 

Anyway like you said, in a sense I feel more connected to GTA IV somehow. I can't explain it but it feels like I'm really there trying to live a normal life in Broker or w/e. In GTA V, like someone else said it seems more like a holiday than anything really. 

When talking about vibes and whatnot, I tend to look at how I feel emotionally personally as well in different environments. In GTA IV, I loved the atmosphere almost always and it was a really nice place to roam in. In GTA V, I get this superficial feeling where I don't like it in that emotional sense even though the game itself is awesome. Only some places are nice in GTA V. But it's starting to grow on me I can tell....just like GTA IV initially. 

• 11john11 likes this

haythem09
  • haythem09

Honorbru Dispray

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:45 PM Edited by haythem09, 06 November 2013 - 08:47 PM.

Liberty City is a sh*thole compared to L.S/S.A.

That can be good for the "sh*thole" vibe, but it makes for little variation, and a terrible playground for online. Which is why IV had the best Story in the IV saga, but TboGT had the best Online in IV saga (Because it kinda brightened up the sh*thole)

What I'm saying is, for random freeroaming and exploring, Liberty City dissapointed. The fact it was a sh*thole only benefited the Story.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users