Quantcast

» «
Photo

Hey COCKSTAR! Why is the night sky so grainy?

43 replies to this topic
Ambitions
  • Ambitions

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:05 PM

No I noticed this as well.. The night sky looks like some pixels and it looks maybe like someone took paper and put it across the top of the screen and called it a sky 

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:59 PM

That's the thing about sh*t TV's. They make everything look like sh*t.

TakinThyBacon
  • TakinThyBacon

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:31 PM

Time for a new TV OP

old-tv-set.jpg

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:38 PM

Post this on their facebook page. Don't see the point of posting it here

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:48 PM

Wasn't this an official screen?

RSG_GTAV_Screenshot_178.jpg

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• Feroci Racing
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:01 PM

Chroma 4:4:4 dude, make sure your TV can handle it.

Aaron030792
  • Aaron030792

I love curry. :D

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:04 PM

Erm...

Night sky looks absolutely fine on my TV.

Macabro
  • Macabro

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:23 PM

Looks fine to me.

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:15 PM

I'm trying to tell him it might be his HDMI cable, if it's a cheap 8 buck one like I have, it's going to have some pretty terrible results. The official Xbox 360 HDMI cable will do wonders i'm sure.

It has nothing to do with the HDMI cable, this 'official' cable must obviously be overpriced and marketed as 'perfect'. HDMI only matters on version, the cords are the same, cheap ones have the same quality as expensive ones, it's typical for high-end companies to market theirs as 'better'. Chances are the manufacturer is the exact same for both the cheap and expensive ones. Any version of HDMI will work, since the console will only render up to an upscaled 1080p resolution. It's the 16-bit colour rendering system GTA V uses to ensure the game runs smoothly (even though it still has terrible lag problems). As I said, nothing will fix this problem until the PC version comes out, which will utilise higher colour bits, until then, nothing can be done to fix the sky, it's not the display or HDMI cable.

This person is absolutely spot on. Do Google searches for 16 bit vs 32 bit colors for games and you'll see exactly what the problem is.

Very sad that they even had to do this just to maintain performance levels. Color depth hhasn't been a relevant or even available option for increasing performance at the cost of visuals for really a decade now... sad.

But yeah the man in pink hit the nail on the head. Wait for PC port to see GTA V's true colors.

abaldwin360
  • abaldwin360

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:26 PM

It looks completely normal to me. Maybe it's your television?

I've noticed that, people blame the game yet they have a a television that doesn't exactly support modern gaming.

Or they haven't calibrated their television so it doesn't give the picture it's supposed to and they complain. I don't know if this is the case here, but I honestly haven't noticed anything wrong with the night sky. It looks quite beautiful to me. 

The term you're looking for is "crushing".

They need to adjust their gamma, brightness and contrast to get rid of the artifacts. Adjusting the in-gmae brightness levels would probably help too.

I had the same issue with Dragon's Dogma until I adjusted the brightness in the game. Everything looked horrrible in the dark and had what looked like JPEG artifacts until I adjusted it.

I also had to make some adjustments to my Xbox's output to get the best out of GTA V (running it at 720p with no upscaling made it look MUCH better on my television).

spamtackey
  • spamtackey

Business Socks

• Members

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:35 PM

It looks completely normal to me. Maybe it's your television?

I've noticed that, people blame the game yet they have a a television that doesn't exactly support modern gaming.

Or they haven't calibrated their television so it doesn't give the picture it's supposed to and they complain. I don't know if this is the case here, but I honestly haven't noticed anything wrong with the night sky. It looks quite beautiful to me. 

The term you're looking for is "crushing".

They need to adjust their gamma, brightness and contrast to get rid of the artifacts. Adjusting the in-gmae brightness levels would probably help too.

I had the same issue with Dragon's Dogma until I adjusted the brightness in the game. Everything looked horrrible in the dark and had what looked like JPEG artifacts until I adjusted it.

I also had to make some adjustments to my Xbox's output to get the best out of GTA V (running it at 720p with no upscaling made it look MUCH better on my television).

Well, I wasn't trying to describe the condition they were talking about, though I didn't know the name. Calibration is how I've heard people refer to setting the gamma, brightness, contrast, colors, and sharpness to get the absolute best picture possible for the television. A lot of people don't do it and when the picture doesn't look as good as it could they complain. 

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• Feroci Racing
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:39 PM

Doesn't GTAV have a one time set up though? Like I remember when playing the game for the first time it asks you to choose the brightness and contrast balance for the image to match the image as close as possible so you get the best possible picture from the game.

If your game is THAT bright, you've obviously not matched the image to how they intended and have overly brightened it out. So again it's another argument to you wanting a brighter picture at the expense of how Rockstar want you to view the game. So it's like blaming them for going against what they advise "Hey, you should match this contrast and brightness to get the best image quality" "NO, I'LL HAVE IT AS BRIGHT AS I WANT" *gfx problems* "OMG COCKSTAR WHAT'S WITH THE BANDING???".

woggleman
  • woggleman

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:10 PM

Set your console to only display in 720 and the picture is greatly improved. It is what the makers intended.

600noodles
  • 600noodles

Trick

• Members

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:10 PM

i think its sad people are saying "looks fine to me" 

lmao.. they are such f a g boys for cokstar. 

even rockstar said they used 16 bit colors to boost performance. 

and people blaming it on the tv.. lmao. 

it doesnt take a GENIUS to realize how awful dark colors appear in this game. 

and to all da f ag boys defending cokstar, go choke on it lmao... 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users