• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic
StormerBoy
  • StormerBoy

Tribe Leader

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:11 PM

When I post new threads, the topic title allows me to input a maximum amount of characters. However, if I do that sometimes once the thread appears on the forum it has actually deleted off the end of the title because it was too long.

Surely you should be character limited to what will actually 'appear', when composing the message!?

[The first person to respond with 'don't like it leave' or 'get over it' or 'that's just the way it is', gets a bitch slap]

Stromae
  • Stromae

Mi Na Badman

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:39 PM

If you don't like it just leave or get over it, because that's just the way it is.

• StormerBoy likes this

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

Anything 80's

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:54 PM

You sure it has actually been deleted? To me thread titles that are too long appear with an ellipsis where it's been chopped off and if you hover the mouse over them the full title appears, and of course in the thread itself as well. Unless you have a really big screen, that's what you will get, there is simply not enough room.

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

Founder And Opening Batsman: Vinewood Cricket Club

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:59 PM

It would be nice to get a maximum character thing rather than letting you type as much as you want and chopping it off in the title when you post.

• StormerBoy likes this

StormerBoy
  • StormerBoy

Tribe Leader

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:28 PM

You sure it has actually been deleted? To me thread titles that are too long appear with an ellipsis where it's been chopped off and if you hover the mouse over them the full title appears, and of course in the thread itself as well. Unless you have a really big screen, that's what you will get, there is simply not enough room.

Yeah, it has deffo been chopped off

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:58 PM

What was your thread's title? There's no reason to have a thread with 50 words. Keep it short and to the point.

StormerBoy
  • StormerBoy

Tribe Leader

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:01 PM

What was your thread's title? There's no reason to have a thread with 50 words. Keep it short and to the point.

So it's my fault then?
  • pr0n- likes this

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:19 PM

Perhaps, you still haven't said what your topic title was?

Yes it gives you a character amount but with coding, it's possible the admins had the title text sized up more than default so it will remove a portion to allow to keep frame size.

But why would you need a paragraph for a topic title anyways?

Janky
  • Janky

More about nothing

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:16 AM

Thread titles are meant to be short and to the point. Like what was said before, there is no need to have a long thread title, especially one that exceeds the length of your actual post. Good examples for a thread title are: GTAForums Rules & Guidelines or GTA V Vehicle Database. Plus even if you were able to post a long thread title, more than likely a moderator would edit it down to a proper size.  

Keep your thread titles short, sweet and simple. If your thread is removed or the title is shortened then I'm sure it was for a good reason. 

StormerBoy
  • StormerBoy

Tribe Leader

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:10 AM

Perhaps, you still haven't said what your topic title was?

Yes it gives you a character amount but with coding, it's possible the admins had the title text sized up more than default so it will remove a portion to allow to keep frame size.

But why would you need a paragraph for a topic title anyways?

I was actually being sarcastic when I asked if it was my fault. I would quite happily give you the thread in question, but then this would turn into a 'well it's too long anyway' issue. The issue is, as I have already stated, that I was lead to believe that everything I submitted would be posted. This was not the case. I will make the thread titles as long as I see fit. If you consider them too long, then it is your prerogative to amend the limit, and that is how you will control it.

The issue is the one in your second sentence, that is what needs to be rectified.

Thread titles are meant to be short and to the point. Like what was said before, there is no need to have a long thread title, especially one that exceeds the length of your actual post. Good examples for a thread title are: GTAForums Rules & Guidelines or GTA V Vehicle Database. Plus even if you were able to post a long thread title, more than likely a moderator would edit it down to a proper size.  

Keep your thread titles short, sweet and simple. If your thread is removed or the title is shortened then I'm sure it was for a good reason. 

Have you read the thread?

Thanks for the lesson in writing titles.

Regards

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:22 AM

You know, I wouldn't mind if you complained about things that actually mattered. But no, you like fixating yourself on the most trivial of things. You were led to believe that you can post a long title; then you found out that it doesn't display the whole title. Any normal member would take this as a learning lesson and ensure that he doesn't use long titles again. Why do you have to be bitter about everything?

Lets look at this from the other side. If we introduce a character limit on titles, we'll have someone (probably you) complaining that you cannot post long titles. The way things are now, at least a member is allowed to post a long title if he/she so chooses and in order to ensure that it doesn't break the page, the title is cut off and is displayed when you hover your mouse over it. This combines the best of both options. I quite literally don't see the problem here.

StormerBoy
  • StormerBoy

Tribe Leader

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:44 AM

You know, I wouldn't mind if you complained about things that actually mattered. But no, you like fixating yourself on the most trivial of things. You were led to believe that you can post a long title; then you found out that it doesn't display the whole title. Any normal member would take this as a learning lesson and ensure that he doesn't use long titles again. Why do you have to be bitter about everything?

Lets look at this from the other side. If we introduce a character limit on titles, we'll have someone (probably you) complaining that you cannot post long titles. The way things are now, at least a member is allowed to post a long title if he/she so chooses and in order to ensure that it doesn't break the page, the title is cut off and is displayed when you hover your mouse over it. This combines the best of both options. I quite literally don't see the problem here.

It matters to me, the consumer of the product on offer. Where are your business ethics, if you can't put the customer first?

Yes, it is trivial, and sorry if I'm not 'normal'.

'Learning lesson'? What? I don't want to have to worry about the system working properly every time I post something a little longer than usual. That's why I have come to this forum, for some 'support'.

'Lets look at this from the other side' ... it would be nice if you could!

'I quite literally don't see the problem here' ... and maybe that IS the problem?

You need to take the emotion out of it, and look at it professionally.

Kind regards

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:57 AM

Professionally.. once your thread title reaches a certain text character limit, it cuts off. Why? Because the entire version isn't going to accommodate to YOUR needs over a thread title. It's set in stone dude.. there's a limit for titles, even when it says '120 out of 150 characters used' or whatever the limit is, that doesn't matter. The page code is set.. once a title reaches that set code, it cuts off to keep it within it's settings. Chances are because the title size is larger than default, which is why it cuts off before you've even reached your character limit.

Now off the record, use your brain.

Understand? Only thing you're doing here is stomping the ground.. which I'm not sure why, your answers have been given to you. 

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:24 PM

It matters to me, the consumer of the product on offer. Where are your business ethics, if you can't put the customer first?

I can't tell if you're serious or just trolling now. You do realize that you're on a free service, right?

This is not a product that you have purchased, so you're not a consumer. You're simply an user on a free service where you cannot exercise any rights because, well, it's a free service. Neither are we a business or an organization trying to pull in more customers so we can feed our families better. Your perception of what a free internet service is seems flawed.

StormerBoy
  • StormerBoy

Tribe Leader

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:12 PM

I can't tell if you're serious or just trolling now. You do realize that you're on a free service, right?

This is not a product that you have purchased, so you're not a consumer. You're simply an user on a free service where you cannot exercise any rights because, well, it's a free service. Neither are we a business or an organization trying to pull in more customers so we can feed our families better. Your perception of what a free internet service is seems flawed.

Yes, I am deadly serous.

I am a consumer. This site provides me with a service and makes revenue returns thru adverts. I watch TV for free, and the TV channel makes revenue thru adverts. I am a consumer. That doesn't give me rights, but you would be unwise not to listen to my feedback.

This was a relatively straight forward piece of feedback, and as usual your defensiveness towards constructive criticism has blown it all out of proportion. I do wonder what this support forum is for as most people that post in it either get ignored, or shot down for doing so. So I'll let it go, and you can do your 'Godley, thread closed' piece to boost your ego.

Hugs and kisses

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:10 PM

Once again, you're as wrong as you can be. This website makes zero revenue. The most that the admins get are a few goodies from R* for running a fansite for their games. Whatever amount is earned by Google AdSense is directed towards the server running/maintenance costs which is insufficient and Tank is forced to pay the remaining costs out of his own pockets. A simple solution would be to make you pay to be a member here but we have always maintained that this website should remain free for all. If the server costs increase, the staff here are more than willing to pay for it from their own pockets.

And I have absolutely no problem with criticism if it is actually constructive and useful, and not bordering on something that is a personal annoyance. Whenever I have seen you criticize the forums, you manage to make a mountain out of a mole and that's what irks me. It's like you have absolutely no respect or consideration for the efforts the admins have put into this website to get it to where it is.

• Matty and GunWrath like this

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:26 PM

I am a consumer. This site provides me with a service and makes revenue returns thru adverts. I watch TV for free, and the TV channel makes revenue thru adverts.

Not if you're English. f*cking TV licence sh*t.

StormerBoy
  • StormerBoy

Tribe Leader

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:32 PM

I am a consumer. This site provides me with a service and makes revenue returns thru adverts. I watch TV for free, and the TV channel makes revenue thru adverts.

True, I considered doing an analogy of radio instead, which would work.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

• Members
  • England
  • Best Avatar 2012

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:36 PM

Technically the TV licence also pays for the radio aswell, as it basically pays for everything BBC. Just saying.

StormerBoy
  • StormerBoy

Tribe Leader

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:07 PM

Technically the TV licence also pays for the radio aswell, as it basically pays for everything BBC. Just saying.

But not if I only listen to none-BBC radio  :p

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

• Members
  • England
  • Best Avatar 2012

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:52 PM

But not if I only listen to none-BBC radio  :p

Ahhhhh sh*t nigga you got me. :D

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:25 AM

Yeah, this topic has ceased to serve its purpose. Time for lock!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users