Quantcast

» «
Photo

Is Michael Townley the best GTA Protagonist ever?

243 replies to this topic

Poll: Michael Townley the best gta protagonist or not? (452 member(s) have cast votes)

Is Michael the best Protagonist?

1. Yeah (105 votes [23.23%])

Percentage of vote: 23.23%

2. No.. (269 votes [59.51%])

Percentage of vote: 59.51%

3. I dont know. (78 votes [17.26%])

Percentage of vote: 17.26%

Vote Guests cannot vote
lwalsh00
  • lwalsh00

FC Halifax Town supporter

• Members
  • England

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:44 AM

I thought Michael was ok, but the best protagonist is obviously Claude.

MrIbby
  • MrIbby

Rat

• Members

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:47 AM Edited by MrIbby, 17 November 2013 - 12:47 AM.

NO.
He is nothing but a co**su**ing two face cowardly selfsih a**hole.

f*ck YOU MICHAEL.
  • WacoKid614 likes this

carl turtle
  • carl turtle

Trick

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:22 AM

Tommy-Vercetti.jpg

SuperGTFan
  • SuperGTFan

Big Homie

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:17 PM

He's far from the best IMO. But he does have terrific lines like the hypocrisy and hipster thing, I remember back in the first trailer when I first so him narrating "why did I moved here?", it was kinda misleading when he said something about playing with his kids, because he really doesn't seem to be fond of the family man life.

Also, he shouldn't have been suddenly the antagonist Rockstar said that we're going to play as, Trevor would have been the better enemy, like making him helping Franklin in killing Michael, while the latter doesn't help in killing Trevor, would have been also great if Trevor is the one who suggests to Franklin that they should "Roll on M!" before Franklin reaches him.

This would have made him the perfect rival of Niko.

ShadowCola
  • ShadowCola

Paleto Pride.

• Members
  • England

Posted 14 July 2015 - 10:25 PM

No but he is probably the most unique. I mean he is the first protagonist to have a family. Even though his family are detestable.  

• theGTAking101 likes this

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:17 PM

He's far from the best IMO. But he does have terrific lines like the hypocrisy and hipster thing, I remember back in the first trailer when I first so him narrating "why did I moved here?", it was kinda misleading when he said something about playing with his kids, because he really doesn't seem to be fond of the family man life.

Also, he shouldn't have been suddenly the antagonist Rockstar said that we're going to play as, Trevor would have been the better enemy, like making him helping Franklin in killing Michael, while the latter doesn't help in killing Trevor, would have been also great if Trevor is the one who suggests to Franklin that they should "Roll on M!" before Franklin reaches him.

This would have made him the perfect rival of Niko.

I thought Trevor was the antagonist?
  • Mr. Fartenhate likes this

SuperGTFan
  • SuperGTFan

Big Homie

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:24 PM

No, they made Michael look like the antagonist in the endings, while Trevor looked a bit innocent as he refuses to participate in killing M.
  • TheRealCMPUNKFan and UptownRider like this

Jabalous
  • Jabalous

Villager

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 July 2015 - 11:34 PM Edited by FiS!!HeR, 14 July 2015 - 11:35 PM.

If Michael is anything, he's the shallowest GTA (III, VC, SA, IV,V) character alongside Trevor and Franklin. There's nothing special or interesting about them. They just fit into the plastic world of modern Los Santos.

• Official General and Donut like this

Misunderstood
  • Misunderstood

Keep up, motherf*cker!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 July 2015 - 12:07 AM

Well, Michael is the best protagonist in GTA V....but that's not saying much. 

• Nonpareil1983, gunziness and theGTAking101 like this

NintendoFanboy
  • NintendoFanboy

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 15 July 2015 - 12:16 AM

CJ the best and Niko the worst.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 15 July 2015 - 12:21 AM

I'm convinced you're a troll now.
  • gunziness and A.O.D.88 like this

Nonpareil1983
  • Nonpareil1983

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 July 2015 - 12:50 AM

He's the best in V by far, but he's not the best ever. I do like him and would have enjoyed GTA V a whole lot more if he was the sole protag. Would have he been higher up if he was the only protagonist too, but alas that's not the case, so I've still got him under Tommy, Niko and Johnny. 

• TheRealCMPUNKFan likes this

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 July 2015 - 01:07 AM

Obviously it's very subjective. Personally, he's my favorite, right next to Niko.

I find it funny how many people hate him because he's a liar, and how he betrayed Trevor. The way some people act on this forum, you would think he betrayed them or screwed them over. Haha.

• theGTAking101 and TheRealCMPUNKFan like this

SuperGTFan
  • SuperGTFan

Big Homie

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 15 July 2015 - 01:08 AM Edited by SuperGTFan, 15 July 2015 - 01:09 AM.

Isn't that what he revealed in ending A? Haha.

fac316
  • fac316

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 July 2015 - 01:18 AM

They just fit into the plastic world of modern Los Santos.

I think that's the point, its over the top w/ an incoherent plot, like most blockbusters. While IV was a gritty movie. But on topic I felt mike was the antagonist, you can make a point for Trevor (which is the point) but mike is lance Vance, dimitiri selling out your friend. Claude, tommy, lances bro, Toni, cj, Niko, johnny and Luis wouldn't do that. F for all the sh*t he talks abt Lamar saves him every time. T saved M during the wrap up. M is just a rat.

UptownRider
  • UptownRider

Intelligent Pothead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 July 2015 - 01:23 AM

Michael is good,but he's not the best. The best would probably be either Franklin,Niko,or Trevor.

Franklin- Although he's a shallow character with hardly any back story,he's basically the modern 3D era protagonist. Starting out as a small time gangster and then rising to the top while potentially killing the one he worked for (Depending on your choice for the ending)

Niko- He's the protagonist with the deepest story. Having his life ruined by a junkie,he moves to LC to exact revenge,while also seeking out the "American Dream" his cousin always bragged about. He kills countless people and commits various crimes,but in the end he only wants to leave his life of crime and live a normal life. However,he realizes that he may never truly be able to escape,after witnessing the death of someone very dear to him.

Trevor- The craziest of em all,even crazier than the silent psychopath, Claude. He represents GTA as a whole, and all the crime and murder and violence surrounding it. He also brings back the classic rampage missions. Along with all of this,he even shows to have a heart of some sort. Showing care and loyalty to his closest friends and even looks out for the occasional stranger,Trevor is a rather unique case of a psychopath,who is very aware of what he does and unlike every other criminal,never regrets nor denies his nature.

Compare these guys to Michael,and you'll see that he isn't the best protagonist of all GTAs. He's just a family man who betrays his best friend in order to escape his life of crime,only to fail later on and get caught back in it.
  • BurnettVice likes this

Mr. Fartenhate
  • Mr. Fartenhate

finna kms tbh

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 15 July 2015 - 01:40 AM

In GTA V: Yes
In the series: Oh god no! No way
  • TheRealCMPUNKFan and Uncle Vlad like this

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 July 2015 - 01:47 AM

They just fit into the plastic world of modern Los Santos.

I think that's the point, its over the top w/ an incoherent plot, like most blockbusters. While IV was a gritty movie. But on topic I felt mike was the antagonist, you can make a point for Trevor (which is the point) but mike is lance Vance, dimitiri selling out your friend. Claude, tommy, lances bro, Toni, cj, Niko, johnny and Luis wouldn't do that. F for all the sh*t he talks abt Lamar saves him every time. T saved M during the wrap up. M is just a rat.

Everyone acts like Michael sold out Brad and Trevor because "oh me bad guy, i want money all for self." But he did it for his family. If you're going to argue that he fights with his family too much, and that it's a lie, I'm just going to ignore you. All I'm going to say is that when Michael and Franklin hang out, there's a conversation where he mentions that Los Santos changed his family. They used to get along. Back then, when they did get along, is when and why Michael was willing to sell out Brad and Trevor so he could get away from that life and keep his family safe.

All of you seem to forget what crazy motherf*ckers Brad, and especially Trevor are. You also love to gloss over the fact that Michael didn't sell anyone else out. The kid that drove their getaway vehicle wasn't going to be sold out. The plan was to have Trevor killed, and Brad arrested. Michael never sold Lester out either. That's mentioned very early on in the game.

In fact, Trevor is the only person Michael really f*cks over the most - because Trevor is such a crazy and dangerous f*ck. Jimmy is scared sh*tless of Trevor. There's optional phone calls in the game that emphasize this.

It's obvious Trevor is supposed to be viewed as one of the antagonists, but Rockstar screwed this up when they made him a playable character, and he goes from "sick, murdering psychopath" in the beginning of the game to "wacky, crazy, criminal with a soft side" once he gets to Los Santos and back to Blaine County. It's especially obvious when later in the game, he's out to get Michael, and constantly drops hints that he might kill him after "The Big One," after the vents of "Bury the Hatchet."

But for some people, Rockstar made him too likable. If he wasn't playable, and the player had no reason to connect with him, it would have been a lot easier for people to identify him as a minor antagonist.

But they did make him a player controlled character, and Dan Houser knew some people might like Trevor and side with him. That's where Dan's quote where he talks about the three protagonist idea comes to mind, where he mentions that he wanted a story where you have one guy who's supposed to be the antagonist from the start (Trevor), but then you figure some things out and view the original "hero" as the antagonist (Michael) and the former antagonist as the real good guy (Trevor). But then it gets switched up again (Bury the Hatchet/Fresh Meat) and the two keep switching roles as antagonists, until you're not sure who to root for.

So it comes down to whether or not you're on Trevor's side or Michael's. But I'm positive that if Trevor wasn't playable, people would have a completely different view of the whole thing. I'm not going to bother with the "What if Michael wasn't playable" because he was literally the first protagonist they came up with for GTA V, and the fact that the whole story and its main-arc revolves around Michael shows.

• gunziness, TheFlareEntercounter, Mr. Fartenhate and 2 others like this

Showstopper 26
  • Showstopper 26

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 15 July 2015 - 01:54 AM Edited by Showstopper 26, 15 July 2015 - 01:54 AM.

Niko is the worst.

Because he has an opinion? Plus isn't it me you had a problem with? That guy has been here for 8 years and barely ever posts. I doubt he's a troll. Weird that you're taking shots at him.

SuperGTFan
  • SuperGTFan

Big Homie

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 15 July 2015 - 03:01 AM Edited by SuperGTFan, 15 July 2015 - 03:44 AM.

Niko is the worst.

Because he has an opinion? Plus isn't it me you had a problem with? That guy has been here for 8 years and barely ever posts. I doubt he's a troll. Weird that you're taking shots at him.
I always found it weird that almost all of Niko's haters are hardcore fans of CJ.

Is it because the GTA 4 reviewers claimed that "they prefere Niko over previous protagonists" back in 2008?

Shadowfennekin
  • Shadowfennekin

Proud Saints Row and Pokemon Fanboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 July 2015 - 03:22 AM

Nope, Trevor is.

^ Well said. :)

DeeDogg_
  • DeeDogg_

Hired Gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:11 AM

Vs storyline is easily forgettable. So are the characters.

In the long run, V will be remembered by GTAO. It's the unfortunate truth
  • gunziness, fac316, Osho and 2 others like this

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:41 AM

"I didn't like it, so no one else does."

Yeah, that's why we have topics all the time of people talking about the story and characters.

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:44 AM

Tommy vercetti is the best protag of all times in the series. So, NO.
But M is good becoz F is boring and T just yuck! I don't like playing as T.
M > F and T.

SuperGTFan
  • SuperGTFan

Big Homie

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:47 AM

59 people are turning into a confused transgender prostitutes.

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

The Harwood Butcher

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:54 AM

I always found it weird that almost all of Niko's haters are hardcore fans of CJ.

And Trevor fans usually. As for the question Michael is still GTA V's best protagonist, but Niko will always be #1.:)
  • cp1dell, TheRealCMPUNKFan and Uncle Vlad like this

SJH1991
  • SJH1991

Scotland's finest

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:33 AM

Tommy Vercetti all the way.  Michael is a close second, Michael seems to be a more calmer version of Tommy

Phnx.
  • Phnx.

• Facade Corporation
  • Poland

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:39 AM

No, he isn't. IMO, Niko B is the best protagonist ever.

• MiamiViceCity likes this

LazyGator
  • LazyGator

Peon

• Members

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:10 AM

Niko > them all.

Niko is love, Niko is life.

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:20 AM Edited by Cutter De Blanc, 15 July 2015 - 08:22 AM.

I like them all in their own way (except Victor). I never really could relate to Niko on any sort of personal level, but he was very funny, and his story was interesting and engaging. He certainly seems the most human and fully fleshed out character of the bunch.
  • cp1dell and gunziness like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users