Quantcast

» «
Photo

Is Michael Townley the best GTA Protagonist ever?

243 replies to this topic

Poll: Michael Townley the best gta protagonist or not? (452 member(s) have cast votes)

Is Michael the best Protagonist?

1. Yeah (105 votes [23.23%])

Percentage of vote: 23.23%

2. No.. (269 votes [59.51%])

Percentage of vote: 59.51%

3. I dont know. (78 votes [17.26%])

Percentage of vote: 17.26%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Flexx
  • Flexx

Greatest Human In World History

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:56 AM Edited by Flexx, 16 November 2013 - 02:57 PM.

Trevor is a favorite, but CJ's dynamic rise from nothing to something is what makes him the best protagonist to me.

Niko would have to be the worst.

Maybe its the American in me. I find Niko boring as hell.

Also not a fan of Liberty city.

• Grizzly322 likes this

senormidget
  • senormidget

Basic Bitch

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:53 AM

I'd say Michael is one of the worst protagonists of the GTA series. He's a back-stabber who pretends to care about his family when he quite clearly doesn't. His faux-remorse is really irritating.

Franklin is similar, he ditches his friends when he gets a fancy house and looks down on them for not having the opportunities he had to escape the ghetto. He's also a whiny bitch.

Trevor is great because he genuinely cares about his friends even after they betray him. As for his psychotic behaviour, at least he accepts that he's part of the crime game, he doesn't pretend he's just after one big score before retiring, he actually enjoys the life and knows that you can't be a morally-ambiguous crybaby (You can't be half a gangster - Jimmy Darmody). He is also funny and witty as hell. I like how he deals with his mother-issues alone too, he never once mentions her to any other characters unlike Michael and Franklin who constantly complain about their family/friends.

Tommy Vercetti is obviously the best protagonist though, he is the exact mould of a rank climbing mobster and he's voiced by Ray Liotta damn it.

Niko was okay but a bit hollow, I get that he was basically driven by revenge but that didn't seem enough to me, he didn't have much of a personality other than "confused immigrant in a new city who wants to make some easy money".

Claude isn't really worth discussing, GTA3's story was more about the supporting characters and Claude was just an excuse for you to be there.

Louis and Johnny were decent enough characters for DLC content, Gay Tony was a fantastic character I'll add.

Vic Vance and Toni Cipriani weren't great characters really but what can you expect really.

Opinions.

Midnightz
  • Midnightz

Populus vult decipi.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:22 PM

Gawd, Michael is the worst of V's three protags. I absolutely hate him. I hate his family too. It is cool to have a family type career criminal guy but this dude is just a dimwitted, superficial and spineless asshole who constantly bitches about everything. What does he truly value? Nothing and no one. What does he do? Complain.

The actor for him did a fine job so I blame the writers for his horrid dialogue. Rockstar did a decent job changing our minds about who's who as the game progresses.

The only things I like about Michael:

- his casual clothing
- yoga
- his experience/skill for heist planning
- his screaming when I toss him off a cliff

Enjoy.

Grand Theft Savage
  • Grand Theft Savage

'Bout that life

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:40 PM

Niko Bellic sh*ts on Michael Townley De Santa

Ellie Hunt
  • Ellie Hunt

Sonofa Gun

• Awaiting Authorization

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:53 PM

I'd say Michael is one of the worst protagonists of the GTA series. He's a back-stabber who pretends to care about his family when he quite clearly doesn't. His faux-remorse is really irritating.

Franklin is similar, he ditches his friends when he gets a fancy house and looks down on them for not having the opportunities he had to escape the ghetto. He's also a whiny bitch.

Trevor is great because he genuinely cares about his friends even after they betray him. As for his psychotic behaviour, at least he accepts that he's part of the crime game, he doesn't pretend he's just after one big score before retiring, he actually enjoys the life and knows that you can't be a morally-ambiguous crybaby (You can't be half a gangster - Jimmy Darmody). He is also funny and witty as hell. I like how he deals with his mother-issues alone too, he never once mentions her to any other characters unlike Michael and Franklin who constantly complain about their family/friends.

I completely agree with you on this one, just the way Trevor is compared to Michael and Franklin makes him my favourite. It's hard to believe, but Trevor is actually quite caring (when it comes to people he's close with, not the fact that he likes things that explode. xD), whereas the others don't give a monkey's about family and friends in the end.

ShadowDog94
  • ShadowDog94

Gaming since '94

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:58 PM

Tommy is still the best but Michael is a close second.

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:19 PM

I don't ever feel like a right badass when I play as Michael. I always feel like he should be doing more low-key stuff like smoking in the park and riding a bike around his neighborhood. Not blowing up 15 cop cars with a minigun, or crashing fighter jets. I like him and his character, but he doesn't seem like he would do the things I like to do in a GTA game, because he's a smart sophisticated criminal mastermind, not a reckless badass. 

• TheRealCMPUNKFan likes this

lol232
  • lol232

Got room for one more?

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:21 PM

CJ is worst GTA protag ever. Tommy & Niko the best.

This.

Michael seems like the central protagonist of GTA V, but Trevor is better IMO.

But in the entire GTA series, Niko and Tommy are the best.

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

ps3 has no games

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Topic 2014 [GTA V and Steam]

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:31 PM

He's behind Niko, really.

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

''Cool it, assholes''

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:33 PM

Can anyone tell me why is Niko considered the best?

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:37 PM

Well I can't speak for others, but I find Niko to be the most down to earth, caring yet ruthless at the same time.

I don't mean this as a generalisation or anything, but I wouldn't be surprised most people who find him boring are American and find it difficult to relate to a foreign character as most protagonists are of an American background (primarily).

I'm an Australian and what made me attach to Niko was his uncertainty of what America would be like as like him I've never been there either. The first time I played GTA IV I felt like I could feel everything he felt as he tried to settle in and understand American culture.

That's just me though. Niko isn't just my favourite GTA protagonist, but perhaps my favourite in general video gaming.
  • kvic likes this

Raiden雷電
  • Raiden雷電

I Am Lightning, The Rain Transformed

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:40 PM

Nope. Tommy Vercetti is.

Zodape
  • Zodape

CABINETS

• The Yardies
  • Argentina

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:53 PM

Tommy is the best of all. I don't like the guy, but I have to admit he is just the best.

My top favourites must be:

1- Claude: who needs personality when you are the definition of badass?
2- Trevor: funny as f*ck, very loyal and has the best missions in the entire franchise.
3- Niko: Perfect balance between badass and emotional. And I like his accent.

Michael is meh for me. He is not bad, nor good. He doesn't suck as much as CJ or Klebitz.

TheFoxRiverFugitive
  • TheFoxRiverFugitive

Sly Fox

• Facade Corporation
  • United-States

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:05 AM

He's definitely up there for me, but Niko set the bar pretty high in my opinion. He had a mysterious past that ruined him and we get to learn about it over time. 

-Niko

-Tommy

-Michael

-Claude

-Trevor

-Toni

-Johnny

-Franklin

-CJ

-Luis

-Huang

-Vic

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:17 AM

I wouldn't say Niko was the best GTA protagonist, but he's up there. But I did like his character and story, and I was very excited to play as an immigrant gangster coming to America. The whole theme was the epitome of a classic American crime story. 

biggsull
  • biggsull

Foot Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:56 AM Edited by biggsull, 16 November 2013 - 12:57 AM.

Michael is a stupid backstabbing rat piece of sh*t, If I could avoid playing with him totally I would.

Aaron030792
  • Aaron030792

I love curry. :D

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:40 AM

Niko Bellic is my personal favourite overall.

Oh BTW nobum...SonOfLiberty was having a laugh. He didn't actually mean it. Christ al-f***ing-mighty... :sigh:

GUCCI_MANE_PIZZA_PARTY
  • GUCCI_MANE_PIZZA_PARTY

I'm a little scared of being a slut.

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:42 PM

He's boring. Nothing about his character makes me want to play him. Why would I want to do yoga and walk around like a gorilla when I can play an ex air force pilot who can drop bombs for his plane and go on awesome rampages? He's a sellout, a backstabber, and I'm glad I got to kill him off. More money in Frank's and Trevor's pocket.

Benniwest
  • Benniwest

Tricky

• Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:46 PM

CJ is worst GTA protag ever. Tommy & Niko the best.

completely agree Tommy and Niko for me too although I prefer CJ over all three GTA V protags, actually I played GTA IV last night and got that great feeling whilst playing something which for me personally GTA V just hasnt got 

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

''Cool it, assholes''

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:48 PM Edited by Tenxax, 16 November 2013 - 01:48 PM.

Well he might be a backstabber but he did it with a good reason, and that was his family.

Amanda got pregnant, then got pregnant again and there was were Jimmy and Tracey came from, so he had to leave the game as he had something to loose unlike Brad or Trevor.

If it wasn't for that family he ''hated'' then the game would be set in North Yankton.

And killing him on my 2nd playthrough didn't give me ANYTHING but his family mourning over his dead.

Zodape
  • Zodape

CABINETS

• The Yardies
  • Argentina

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:00 PM Edited by Zodape, 16 November 2013 - 02:01 PM.

Well he might be a backstabber but he did it with a good reason, and that was his family.

Amanda got pregnant, then got pregnant again and there was were Jimmy and Tracey came from, so he had to leave the game as he had something to loose unlike Brad or Trevor.

If it wasn't for that family he ''hated'' then the game would be set in North Yankton.

And killing him on my 2nd playthrough didn't give me ANYTHING but his family mourning over his dead.

That's not a good reason.

(RDR spoiler) 

--------------------

John Marston sacrificed himself so the goverment would stop harassing his family.

--------------------

Michael, instead of taking the bullet, used his friends so he could save his own ass.

If I was Michael, I would have done one last job, give my cut to my family, and run off with my friends or on my own. No way I making them live with my problems with the goverment, and betraying my friends is not an option.

• BurnettVice likes this

ScottishHeist123
  • ScottishHeist123

After 5 years on the East Coast, it's time to go home...

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:52 PM

The actor for him did a fine job so I blame the writers for his horrid dialogue. 

"Horrid dialogue"? IMO Michael's dialogue and the whole story script was wonderfully written and is arguably the best in the series. I will agree Ned Luke did a phenomenal job as Mike.

Personally, I find Michael to be the best protagonist out of the whole series. He is a complex, complicated individual with the most interesting backstory in GTA. He's a rich, miserable killing bastard and he's knows it!

• John Smith and TheRealCMPUNKFan like this

AlmightySo
  • AlmightySo

Professional Hustler

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:55 PM

Him and Niko are really close for me. Niko had this drive that made him do what he did in GTA 4. Michael just wants money, I like michaels backstory. Maybe not the best but he is one of the greater ones. 

AlmightySo
  • AlmightySo

Professional Hustler

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:57 PM

The actor for him did a fine job so I blame the writers for his horrid dialogue. 

"Horrid dialogue"? IMO Michael's dialogue and the whole story script was wonderfully written and is arguably the best in the series. I will agree Ned Luke did a phenomenal job as Mike.

Personally, I find Michael to be the best protagonist out of the whole series. He is a complex, complicated individual with the most interesting backstory in GTA. He's a rich, miserable killing bastard and he's knows it!

I think Niko has a better backstory then Michael. He was poor, part of the army (dont know where hes from) and he came to Liberty City to get revenge but until then he has to go through all this stuff with Little Jacob, Vlad, he didn't stop either even after he was done he didn't feel happy and they made that clear when y ou kill ray he stands there staring at him like what now? Niko is the greatest.

Midnightz
  • Midnightz

Populus vult decipi.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:42 PM

Well, he's (Michael) your cup of tea and that's cool. For me, I prefer intelligent and articulate protags. Most of his dialogue struck me as primitive grunting. He's an idiot at best. He comes off as a dumb thug, and not as a professional thief. Was that intentional? I liked him at first but then... the spinelessness. Wow. What an asshole. And he whines... Omg, I couldn't stand the constant whining.

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:15 PM Edited by Official General, 16 November 2013 - 04:17 PM.

Well, he's (Michael) your cup of tea and that's cool. For me, I prefer intelligent and articulate protags. Most of his dialogue struck me as primitive grunting. He's an idiot at best. He comes off as a dumb thug, and not as a professional thief. Was that intentional? I liked him at first but then... the spinelessness. Wow. What an asshole. And he whines... Omg, I couldn't stand the constant whining.

Yeah I agree. Michael's and Franklin's whining and moaning kinda got on my nerves later on in the game. But atill prefer them over Trevor, I just hated that guy so much, he's worst ever GTA protagonist. I'm so glad I was able to kill him. Other than the fact that Trevor's scenes were sometimes funny, the guy was just despicable and repulsive. 

darkdayz
  • darkdayz

Homie

• Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:51 PM Edited by darkdayz, 16 November 2013 - 05:02 PM.

He comes second to Tommy. But he's sure close. His voice actor really nails his lines, some of my favourite lines come from Michael. I can't help but think the way I have styled him has added to his overall feel. Awesome suits a neck tattoo and his already bought glasses. I can imagine him in his own italian mafia orientated game. The game definitely would be more engaging and deep if it was just him and they went as deep as they did with Niko. That's how I feel anyway. I would of LOVED to of gone a lot deeper into the Movie studio missions with him in V. That would of felt great.

Because of three characters it certainly felt fake, he was like 'Im a movie producer', yet I had only done 2 missions in that role, it didn't feel substancial. Wher as when Niko boasted or spoke of something in the past or something he had achieved, we had done 20 missions with him in that 'saga' during his story. They have taken important detail out of the storytelling in aid of adding a 3 character gameplay mechanic ultimately, which for me is a bad decision.

Franklin I felt was just a reboot of CJ ultimately aspiring to the same 'making paper' goal, and Trevor, he was awesome, but could only work in the way he did. He wouldn't work in his own standalone story because it would get really annoying after a few hour, he would make way too many decisions the gamer wouldn't want for story purposes.

gear999
  • gear999

I need to change my picture

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:56 PM Edited by gear999, 16 November 2013 - 04:57 PM.

Toni Cipriani

ScottishHeist123
  • ScottishHeist123

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:12 AM

He's an idiot at best. He comes off as a dumb thug, and not as a professional thief. 

Hmm I would sort of disagree. When it came to family matters he was clearly gullible and deceivable (intentionally highlighting the mistrust and dysfunctional relationship between him and his family). However, during all the heist and multi-protag missions he came across to me as smart and extremely professional. He always took the lead and he clearly knew what he was doing.

ScottishHeist123
  • ScottishHeist123

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:35 AM Edited by StewartWilson1992, 17 November 2013 - 12:36 AM.

I think Niko has a better backstory then Michael. He was poor, part of the army (dont know where hes from) and he came to Liberty City to get revenge but until then he has to go through all this stuff with Little Jacob, Vlad, he didn't stop either even after he was done he didn't feel happy and they made that clear when y ou kill ray he stands there staring at him like what now? Niko is the greatest.

I loved Niko's story, too. He comes a close second for me. Two reasons why I like Michael's more:

1. Niko backstory was driven by him being betrayed, but Michael's was of performing the betrayal.

2. Much like nearly all the GTA protagonists up to GTAV, Niko was a hypocrite; he intended to get revenge on the man who killed his friends for money, but during the story Niko became a gun-for-hire (which Darko highlighted). Michael, on the other hand, knew and admitted to being a deceiving bastard.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users