» «
Photo

GTA IV - Best game of all time.

26 replies to this topic
Tikhung
  • Tikhung

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:12 PM Edited by tikhung01, 05 November 2013 - 02:13 PM.

IMO, i think GTA IV is the best game of all time(considered by the time it release). Not for a GTA game, but for the WHOLE game industry.

• FANTOMTRON likes this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Playa

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:22 PM

it is certainly a really good game (Niko is my favourite GTA Protagonist ) but the best game of all time? no

With the Episodes its certainly better because they add more variety

Rytuklis
  • Rytuklis

Soldier

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:25 PM

GTA IV was nice, it had a great story and the protagonist was badass, the game physics feel somehow more enjoyable than what I saw from GTA V so far, but the problem was that it was very limited.. We all expected a lot of interaction with the environment, the map was just too small, and PC's optimisation of the game was terrible.

BabeRuth
  • BabeRuth

Bronx Bombers Stadium

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:48 PM Edited by BabeRuth, 05 November 2013 - 09:50 PM.

(1) That's your opinion. But I know SIX GAMES off the back of my head that are better than IV(4) IN MY OPINION.

(2) I didn't care for Niko. And I thought all three of the protagonists in V(5) were better than Niko.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

A GTA V fanboy's worst nightmare

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Biggest Fanboy 2014
    Worst Fanboy 2013
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:19 PM

Big call to say it's the best of all time, but for me it's R*'s best.

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:36 PM

Its My  Favourite game of all time.  im on my 5th  playthrough and it still sucks me in more than most games i play first time around. its a Misunderstood Masterpiece. 

• CharlesManson855 likes this

jpm1
  • jpm1

Vice city citizen

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:08 PM Edited by jpm1, 06 November 2013 - 04:08 PM.

didn't play all the games of the universe but for me it's the best game in history , still a bit annoyed by the criminal thing typical to the series , but R* globally made a lot for people like me that aren't interest much by the bloody side of the game . when you say video games 4 names come to my mind (on a technical point of view) :

- GTA IV (GTA III was revolutionary too for its era)

- Zelda on SNES

- Mario Bros. on SNES

- Donkey kong on 80s portable crap consoles

- Pac man too

last 2 were more if you wanted to become epileptic as they were infinte (no goal) and very hard . but they were revolutionary for their era

FANTOMTRON
  • FANTOMTRON

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:08 AM

I loved 4 and I love RDR!! :)

gnad
  • gnad

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:56 AM

IMO, if they added the additional content that were in TBOGT and TLAD into the original GTA IV story, it would be a lot better. 

But I believe GTA V is better. I hope they release it for PC someday, I'd love to max out the graphics because in the console it's already good, imagine on the PC!

W2B
  • W2B

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:29 PM

Best game of all time? No, definitely not.

Best R* game (so far)? Yes, imo.

V might or might not be better than IV, I don't know. Waiting for pc version coming next year, so I haven't played it yet.

TakinThyBacon
  • TakinThyBacon

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:59 PM

I actually did not care for Niko all that much, I never really felt like I related to him on any level. But besides that I thik IV was an amazing game.

Neonic9
  • Neonic9

Linki

• Members

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:52 AM

When I seriously think about it, yeah, it may just be.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:06 PM

I definitely won't say it's my personal favorite game of all time but it's still a close second. VC will always be on top for me. I haven't played V because I am a PC gamer so I can't judge that.

But IV is a really amazing masterstroke, I can however easily state it's Rockstar's best this gen. It is highly under appreciated by the community and like Miami says a misunderstood gem. LC is beautiful, the story was fantastic and Niko was easily the 2nd best GTA protag for me, after Tommy. but still a very close second.

Slave Boy
  • Slave Boy

Minion

• The Connection
  • Finland
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2014
    Most Talented GFX Artist 2014
    Most Talented GFX Artist 2013

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:27 PM

Now that I think, it may be the game I have put most hours on.

But nothing will ever beat the fun I had with C64, Amiga, NES & Sega MegaDrive. That´s just the way it is, gaming can´t feel same at 15 and 39.

@jpm1, Those 80s portables were called Nintendo Game & Watch, if You mean the Orange foldable LCD Donkey Kong game which ran on batteries.

That was my first portable.

GeorgeGTA
  • GeorgeGTA

GTA Master Gamer

• Members

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:12 PM

I agree with you, but GTA San Andreas is also good.

jpm1
  • jpm1

Vice city citizen

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:35 PM

Now that I think, it may be the game I have put most hours on.

But nothing will ever beat the fun I had with C64, Amiga, NES & Sega MegaDrive. That´s just the way it is, gaming can´t feel same at 15 and 39.

video games were something totally new at that era so we were kinda hysteric when we played at them back then :lol:

@jpm1, Those 80s portables were called Nintendo Game & Watch, if You mean the Orange foldable LCD Donkey Kong game which ran on batteries.

That was my first portable.

true . lot of (cool) memories :lol:

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:37 PM

I'm calling it now. After some careful consideration, I've actually come to the conclusion that I personally prefer GTA IV to GTA V. V is better than IV in many areas, but then again IV comes out on top in many others. I'd say they are evenly matched, but I personally prefer IV if I had to choose one.

Vice City is still my best and most favorite GTA ever. 

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Biggest Fanboy 2014
    Worst Fanboy 2013

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:09 AM

I'm calling it now. After some careful consideration, I've actually come to the conclusion that I personally prefer GTA IV to GTA V. V is better than IV in many areas, but then again IV comes out on top in many others. I'd say they are evenly matched, but I personally prefer IV if I had to choose one.

Vice City is still my best and most favorite GTA ever. 

That's how I feel too. Most if not all of where GTA V comes out on top are what's to be expected from a newer game. I don't get it when people try to bash GTA IV by saying it looks worse. GTA V looks stunning I agree, but GTA IV is 5 years older. Of course it's not going to look as good.

Besides that I guess everything else comes under preference. GTA V has a large map that for some reason is horrendously underutilised. There's a prison that plays no part in the story. Even the prison in GTA IV played some role. Especially in TLAD. At first I felt inclined to defend GTA V's map, but the more I play it the more I realise it's got a whole heap of wasted space.

Anyway I think technically GTA V is undeniably a superior game. It's newer and has advantages GTA IV never did like all the recent R* titles GTA V took ideas from. However will I feel about it 5 years from now like I do with GTA IV? Who knows. If it does it certainly wont be because of the characters as none of the characters are remotely as memorable as GTA IV's IMO.

• Sting4S and nobum62 like this

nobum62
  • nobum62

eh. look. SH*T

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:10 AM

best game for gameplay? perhaps not.

best game for story? hell yes

Grievous
  • Grievous

Wall of Text Armada

• Members

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:54 PM

Nah not for its story.

For the atmosphere sure, but the story really dragged on for no reason other to allow Niko get acquainted with the various gangs working in Liberty.

Niko gets to work for the shadow government organization rather fairly on, and by that it was clear that they were going to help Niko deliver the special someone he was looking for.

Yet Niko persists on going on about with the various criminals around the city, and every time he ask for Their help to find the person he is looking for, it was getting a bit redundant, especially after the Florian Cravic situation.

It's no wonder when the shadow organization found the man Niko was looking for they demand him to do more work in their interest, mostly as a blackmail to cover up all the other loose incidents Niko was stirring up in the city.

And in the end it really came back to bite him hard. Had Niko not got involved with the mafia, the entire ending situation wouldn't have happened.

The voice acting were good but upon subsequent replays I realized that every character feels compelled to be angry or start shouting during nearly every single mission opening cutscenes. Not even in Lost and Damned did the characters felt the need to go shouting every time.

To me GTA IV best delivered in its gameplay presentation. From the whole 'walking' mechanic of the left analogue stick, to the internet services and news articles, to the character backstory revealed through the friend hang-out activities. It was a far cry from the past arcade-y settings. It was finally made compelling to walk around and explore a virtual landscape not just for story missions or side activity purposes, but just for the sake of it.

And to me they're improving it even further with GTA V.

So I say, the best is still yet to come.

And if we're lucky, they'll keep continue to improve it with every new entry.

Opiated_Escape
  • Opiated_Escape

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:45 PM

its a Misunderstood Masterpiece. 

I very much agree with this. I wouldn't necessarily say it's my favourite of all time, but that's because I'm rather indecisive. It's definitely my favourite GTA and a contender for my favourite game of all time, top 3 at least.

TonyMontanaCDL
  • TonyMontanaCDL

Snitch

• Members

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:20 AM

I take it you haven't played many games.

If GTA IV was released by any other company, it would not have received the praise it got.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Biggest Fanboy 2014
    Worst Fanboy 2013

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:53 AM

If GTA IV was released by any other company, it would not have received the praise it got.

Ah yes twisting opinions to make them appear to be facts.

• Ermacs and nobum62 like this

The4orTy67
  • The4orTy67

Spieler Hasser

• Members

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:41 AM

Well, for me, it is. 

kingkole02
  • kingkole02

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:16 PM

This game has impressed me beyond what I expected.  Online is quite interesting.

• Black & White likes this

KyleAElliott
  • KyleAElliott

Why did I move here? I guess it was the weather.

• Members

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:38 AM

At the time, I thought IV was the "prettiest" game I've ever seen. for 2008, it was pretty sweet. Although it is my favorite GTA, I would say it isnt the greatest game of all game nor R*'s best. Playing with Niko and getting emotionally drawn into the story was amazing.. and having TLAD and TBOGT added onto it made it even better. The DLC made you understand the story a little bit more. GTA IV isnt the greatest game of all time, but ONE of the greatest.

SmoothGetaway
  • SmoothGetaway

I got respect for reality

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:19 AM

It's a great game and the atmosphere is great. Dark and violent city for a dark and violent guy. But greatest of all time?

Maybe.... RDR is also right up there, in my opinion.

If you asked me what one game I'd have on an island with me, IV would definitely be on the short list.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users