Quantcast

» «
Photo

Would you still play GTA if it had a main female character?

30 replies to this topic
Agd_Scorp
  • Agd_Scorp

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:11 AM

I'll get off started with one example; Why the f*ckin' f*ck was Tomb Raider one of the biggest flops in video-gaming history, even though they built the game very nicely, they invented alot in it but did not manage to get hold of enough sales, now, I posted this question on debate.org, and most people voted that they didn't play it because it simply had a "female character".

I'll use IBT's quote on this;

"Several discussions and criticisms have been made out of GTA 5's treatment to women. This has been an old problem for the franchise, having no female characters of substance. This is the time to build a game with a leading lady. GTA revolves around a machismo and male power fantasy storyline but GTA 6 might just be the time for the game to step out of its comfort zone. A narrative innovation can be made out of a female protagonist this time and with Rockstar's writing and character building talents, it could be an unparalleled experience without disrupting sales numbers and trend."

What do you think about this? Would you still play GTA if it had a main female character?

marco-polo
  • marco-polo

?

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:16 AM

It's a game of gangs and street crime, men are typically more involved in that than women.

In that life, prostitutes and violence against women is the norm, that's how it's portrayed on here too..

These things are made for realism, would i play a special forces game with a female lead?

No, because the popular special forces worldwide don't have women in the roles, so it'd be fake.

As for a lead on here, well no because a) it'd be fake in the grand scheme of things, and b) it'd be to please a crowd and not a community.

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:53 AM

please no female protagonist it just would not fit

Oddsock
  • Oddsock

Fresh and strong the world we seize

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:11 PM

Pretty much what marco-polo said, but honestly I have faith in Rockstar being able to create a female character we'd all love and identify with. When done right, people do love femme fatales. You quote Tomb Raider as being a flop, but the most recent iteration got great reviews and worthwhile sales. Even if previous games in the franchise have been bad, Lara Croft has been a prominent, "A-list" game character since her debut.

Anyway, since you're asking, I'd definitely play GTA if it had a female character. I don't decide whether or not to play games based on the sex of the main character, I play games based on whether or not the gameplay entices me.

Tritium
  • Tritium

Special Agent

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:15 PM Edited by Tritium, 05 November 2013 - 12:18 PM.

I was hoping I could have a character that matched me in a video game but no, that's like SOOO impossible for PopRockStar to do so I am stuck with a middle aged man with an annoying wife, son and daughter, a do-good always listens to M&T Homeboy gone riches Franklin and an old psychotic dude who sells hitchhikers to nude elderly guys...

Seriously, where's the realism in that?

marco-polo
  • marco-polo

?

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:28 PM

Middle aged man > Annoying family

Homeboy gone rich > Happens in the real world

Psychotic guy who offloads hitchhikers > Sure to exist

Where isn't the realism in that?

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:56 PM

I thought we already did with CJ? I mean he might aswell have when Catalina had more balls than him.
  • 02fishera, na89340qv0n34b09q340 and Th3MaN1 like this

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:55 PM

i would but it would annoy me i am very much against it and the reason being is she will Probabley  be some Tough  bad Bitch with Attitude and women like that whether   its in games movies or tv shows ALWAYS annoy me. 

Agd_Scorp
  • Agd_Scorp

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:06 PM

Female characters in GTA 6 would suck to be honest, it just won't fit in.

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:36 PM

I don't see the problem. Bring it on, just don't make it a stereotypical character.

na89340qv0n34b09q340
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340

• Members
  • Saint-Martin

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:58 PM

It's a game of gangs and street crime, men are typically more involved in that than women.

In that life, prostitutes and violence against women is the norm, that's how it's portrayed on here too..

These things are made for realism, would i play a special forces game with a female lead?

No, because the popular special forces worldwide don't have women in the roles, so it'd be fake.

...it'd be fake in the grand scheme of things

Psychotic guy who offloads hitchhikers > Sure to exist

Where isn't the realism in that?

Are you saying a Trevor-like male is more likely to exist than any violent female criminal? That's a pretty big stretch.

And well-known female criminals totally exist:

http://elitedaily.co...gangsters-time/

http://www.thelistic...s-of-the-world/

http://newsone.com/1...rs-of-all-time/

(Mass murderers:)

https://en.wikipedia...nifer_San_Marco

http://en.wikipedia....Sylvia_Seegrist

http://en.wikipedia..../Priscilla_Ford

Like with Michael (A family man), Luis (A bodyguard for a well-known celebrity), or John Marston (Who doesn't even want to kill people) the realism comes from how they explain why they're criminals, not who the criminal is.

Ermac
  • Ermac

oh sh*t it's Joe Budden

• The Yakuza
  • None
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:07 PM

I'm genuinely surprised no one has pulled the "you're sexist if you're against a female protagonist" card yet. 

I don't know to be honest. It would be interesting to see what kind of story they would go for. Would it be a woman forced into the life of crime, or would it be the more traditional "criminal working their way up the ladder" except with a feminine lead? 

The real million dollar question is, how would hookers work? Or better yet, would there be a side mission where we play as one? 

Spoiler

Pooyan Cyrus
  • Pooyan Cyrus

Drake stole my notebook :(

• Members
  • Mars
  • Helpfulness Award [Concepts]
    Best Concept Story 2013 "Grand Theft Auto: Ultimate"
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:03 PM

I'll decide after watching the trailer :p

LiangHuBBB
  • LiangHuBBB

Hustler

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:44 PM

put megan fox into the next gta game as main for the lolz

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:56 PM

Hell no I wouldn't play a GTA with a female character as protagonist.

All female characters in the GTA universe so far have been awful

BabeRuth
  • BabeRuth

Bronx Bombers Stadium

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:01 PM Edited by BabeRuth, 05 November 2013 - 10:03 PM.

(1) Gangs recruit women too Y'Know.

(2) Have you not played MGS4?

I don't ever remember TOMB RAIDER being a flop.

I wouldn't mind, heck if there was a GTA FEMALE PROTAGONIST I would probably prefer over Niko, and the Mute.

marco-polo
  • marco-polo

?

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:04 PM

Are you saying a Trevor-like male is more likely to exist than any violent female criminal? That's a pretty big stretch.

No i never said that at all, nor did i say that they don't exist (female criminals)....?

I responded to Tritium's post about it not being unrealistic, not one word in that was said about female criminals at all.

By fake i meant because the numbers of violent criminals doing the stuff in this game are tilted heavily to the male side, and sure you could have any violent women but i think someone like Trevor fits in well with this game.

If you could think up a character with more detail than Franklin, male or female than i may be interested but as long as it's not like this:

i would but it would annoy me i am very much against it and the reason being is she will Probabley  be some Tough  bad Bitch with Attitude and women like that whether   its in games movies or tv shows ALWAYS annoy me. 

(Thanks for the mass murder links but, will make good reading.)

(1) Gangs recruit women too Y'Know.

(2) Have you not played MGS4?

As said - Men are typically more involved in that than women. Women may exist in gangs, but it's a significantly smaller number than males.

I'm talking about current day Seals and SAS special forces games, not futuristic bits and pieces in current day times.. And no i haven't, got pretty good reviews.

"Bad characteristics covered in Christs blood"

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:56 AM

R* would have try try very hard to make a convincing female character. I'm not against having a female character either. I just think that as a male gamer I would find it more difficult to relate to a female character and if my assumption that the majority of gamers and GTA players are male is correct then so would the majority of other players. I'm actually quite interested in seeing if R* can actually pull off making a convincing female protagonist.   

3Hunt
  • 3Hunt

Evilest nigga this side of the Mississippi.

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:09 AM

Yes, I would look at that virtual booty and dress her up inappropriately.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:07 AM

yes, I would still play a GTA game with a female lead.

but I would prefer a male lead.

if anything, they should give you choice to play as either male or female.

BabeRuth
  • BabeRuth

Bronx Bombers Stadium

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:46 AM

If anything, they should give you choice to play as either male or female.

Mr. Diablo sir, you speak of wisdom :)

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Gangsta

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:55 AM

I'd play it if it was a good game.  Playing as a female character doesn't offend me in any way.

ExtremoMania
  • ExtremoMania

Been saving it for a rainy day...

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:22 AM

Doesn't matter for me to be honest. If R* could pull off a wonderful characteristic for the female protagonist, such as her background stories and very immersive persona of course coming along with a wonderful voice actress, no harm at all. I'll still play GTA if it has a female protagonist.

Rainbow Party
  • Rainbow Party

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:21 PM

Rockstar just has to make sure that they do NOT SCREW UP. It's very risky for them to make a female protagonist but if they try to pull it off it has to be perfect. And yeah, if it's done right I'll love it, if it's not I'll lose some respect for the series.

Shmiqq
  • Shmiqq

you know how it is man

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:09 PM

Idc if they're male or female, but if they're a coward then I'd hate it. If they were a badass like several past protagonists such as Tommy, then it'd be pretty damn enjoyable.

And if they pull it off, it'll do great for their rep. However, some people may like the idea of consistency in male protagonists.

It may make it more diverse, just like how we've had white, black, Dominican, young, old etc protagonists.

BabeRuth
  • BabeRuth

Bronx Bombers Stadium

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:20 PM

If there was a main female protagonist, she would have more balls than Niko, and mute.

Aintgottime2bleed
  • Aintgottime2bleed

to weird to live to rare to die

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:35 PM

No cuz it just wouldnt work ( i can explain why but there to many reasons ). Best is just 1 male main character or maybe you can choose your gender/sex for the females who play but R* best keep old formula ( not gta5 ).

TaviColen123
  • TaviColen123

Trollhater

• BUSTED!
  • Romania

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:27 PM

Tritium, on 05 Nov 2013 - 2:15 PM, said:

I was hoping I could have a character that matched me in a video game but no, that's like SOOO impossible for PopRockStar to do so I am stuck with a middle aged man with an annoying wife, son and daughter, a do-good always listens to M&T Homeboy gone riches Franklin and an old psychotic dude who sells hitchhikers to nude elderly guys...

Seriously, where's the realism in that?

Why the f*ck do you play GTA then ? The characters have always supposed to be over the top except maybe Niko .

Kiffster
  • Kiffster

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:39 PM

yes, I would still play a GTA game with a female lead.
but I would prefer a male lead.

if anything, they should give you choice to play as either male or female.

This. Exactly this.

If they do add a female protag one day, she should be someone like Michelle Rodriguez imo.

countrymike84
  • countrymike84

honky tonker

• Members

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:43 PM

My concept thread Mill City has a female protagonist so yes, I do not mind at all if GTA has a female protagonist. She is vulnerable just like the male protag but can be tough as nails also.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users