Quantcast

» «
Photo

The Combat System is a Downgrade to Max Payne and ruins the gameplay.

42 replies to this topic
VVipeSide
  • VVipeSide

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:58 AM

Melee:

GTA 4's combat system was alright. You could push people, strike different moves, punch, alternative punch, kick. Disarm people, counter attacks. 

It wasn't as fleshed out as Sleeping Dogs' system but it was okay, for GTA.

In GTA 5 the combat system lets you enter some forced artificial stance, it is just like in MAFIA 2. 

The moves are scripted and every fight feels exactly the same. Definitely a downgrade to GTA 4.

Shooting:

Now this is a big disappointment. No crouching. No variation in the gunfight. Just look at everyone shooting, some stiff animation, people don't shoot from crouch. The moving is stiff, too. You just see people aiming in the very same position, shooting. Gunfights only let you sit around and wait until someone exits his cover and you leave your cover, too...it's all just not funny.

Then we got bullet time and the "X" which verifies a kill. Wow. 

But what about bullet wounds like in RDR or MP3?

No jumping during shooting neither.

Now this complaint is not for the sake of complaining, and all ya'll who enjoy the combat system be glad. 

But I stopped playing GTA 5 because of it. 

• UltraGizmo64 and ShinobiFixer like this

Tashan
  • Tashan

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:20 AM

Welcome VVipeSide to the GTA V SUCKS CLUB
  • VVipeSide likes this

CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:35 AM

The shooting does disappoint me a bit since it's not nearly as fluid as Max Payne 3's shooting.  Also, I hate how the aiming is stuck on the right side of your character (can't switch from right to left or vice-versa like in Red Dead Redemption or Max Payne 3).  Personally, I think that shoulder view aiming is bad since it can often times be used to "corner glitch" (shooting through corners while revealing little to none of your body).  However, having it where you can't switch the shoulder view is worse since the glitching is then biased towards those that aim around the right side of cover.  The best aiming for third-person shooters is where both the character and aiming crosshair are centered on the screen (as in the aiming being overhead, like in the PC version of GTA VC).  This system is unbiased and not as exploitable.

As for "shoot dodging", that can stay out.  It's kind of a trademark of Max Payne, and having every single shooting mechanic from Max Payne 3 would make the Max Payne franchise just about redundant (which wouldn't be good for R*).

• VVipeSide likes this

Pinnkiepie
  • Pinnkiepie

PIE

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:38 AM

I'd love to see pressing the R1 (Cover)-button to Crouch.

Clicking R1 close to Cover would move you to Cover, but Holding down R1 should put you into Crouching-position instead, from where you could move and shoot.

Zehealingman
  • Zehealingman

Sometimes I dream about cheese.

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:48 AM

Clicking R1 close to Cover would move you to Cover, but Holding down R1 should put you into Crouching-position instead, from where you could move and shoot.

Now that would be a good idea.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Goodfella

• Australia
  • Best Member in an Official Group 2012

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:09 AM

My disappointment with melee is the three have the same fighting style. Even in GTA IV/EFLC Niko, Luis and Johnny all felt different to fight with. Not the case here. Trevor at least should be able to smash people's heads into things like the trailer showed.
  • DeafMetal likes this

Kifflom!
  • Kifflom!

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:15 AM

My disappointment with melee is the three have the same fighting style. Even in GTA IV/EFLC Niko, Luis and Johnny all felt different to fight with. Not the case here. Trevor at least should be able to smash people's heads into things like the trailer showed.

agreed 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000x

Tashan
  • Tashan

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:17 AM

Finally GTA 4 is getting much needed appreciation from players who hated all this time.

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:22 PM

Jesus Christ, can we at least have a serious discussion for once? It's one thing to hate the game for no reason just to troll, but it's another to have a legitimate gripe with the game.

I was pretty shocked by how much of a step down the combat was from IV, RDR, and MP3. Mostly the from IV is the fighting system. I really hate the system in V where you just keep punching with your right fist, and sometimes the left. Dodging isn't even dodging anymore, you just hold it down and the game does it for you. The counter attacks are all the same. Other than that, they improved the aspect of fighting multiple people at once. That was very nice.

When Rockstar said the gunplay was going to be like Max Payne 3, I was excited. V is very simple though compared to MP3. The hip-fire feels like you're still aiming down the sights, just that the camera isn't zoomed in. MP3's was much more fluid.

Bullet wounds were toned down for some reason. Good in RDR, great in MP3. You had clothing fabric flying off, arteries/veins being severed from some wounds etc.

What really irks me is that NPCs are the terminator now. You can shoot their knees out and they get up ready to run in the Olympics. No limping like in IV. I can't really provide any examples since there are so many, and it depends on your own gameplay, but if you've ever played Red Dead Redemption or Max Payne 3, you saw how realistically and dynamically NPCs reacted to gunshot wounds in that game.

I'm really hoping all, or even most of this is fixable with mods. Hopefully when the PC version comes around someone can make the gunplay a lot more like MP3. They're on the same engine after all.

• UltraGizmo64 likes this

TrevorFuqsAshleyInHerButt
  • TrevorFuqsAshleyInHerButt

General Anal

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:00 PM

It is. It sucks ass. For real. Just like that kifflom! brat.

Ola441
  • Ola441

Hustler

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:29 PM

My reply is I like shooting and melee in gta 5 and it's better than gta 4.

Fights in gta 4 were so cartoony it was a sharp contrast from the realism rockstar went for (you aimed at people like you were trying to shoot em ), and on top of this the punches never connected when you wanted it to.

cover mechanics were straight up broken in gta 4, I couldn't take cover where I wanted to and I didn't stay in cover when I wanted to stay, not to mention the awkward angles to shoot enemies when you went into cover. The only thing that stood out was firing from cover (blind fire) but gta 5 has that as well so...

Shooting feels the same pretty much but it feels like gta 5 bullets go straighter and towards the intended targets, it's most obvious with the heavy MG in tbogt and if you compare that with the same gun in gta 5 the kills come better.

+ I love the dot, it's very un intrusive (if that's a word). It worked in mirrors edge as good as it works in gta 5

Red XIII
  • Red XIII

British and Proud!

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:03 PM

I agree about the melee but the shooting is smooth and fluid, a huge improvement from the clunky mess that was GTAIV.

AtomicPunk
  • AtomicPunk

I'm your huckleberry

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:12 PM

Exactly my complaint about the melee; All three have the same everything. They should have different fighting styles and stances. The melee is really bad this time in V.

SAINTSROW RULE
  • SAINTSROW RULE

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:20 PM

Hater gonna hate
Niko fight like dump ass

bicycles?
  • bicycles?

Peon

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:43 PM Edited by bicycles?, 05 November 2013 - 03:48 PM.

I didn't play gta4 enough to compare it to anything, but compared to RDR, gta5 is sh*t.

the lack of a crouch button, the fact that you can only roll when you have a weapon equipped, and the way you have to pull up/cycle through a menu every time you switch weapons [even melee and grenades,] and can't punch/kick without unequipping a weapon... All garbage.

not to mention you can only take cover when standing near a predesignated cover object, and the game will often stand you up against a wall in the line of fire when you were attempting to duck behind a ledge.  The map is FULL of things you should be able to duck behind, but they aren't predesignated cover spots, so you're stuck standing there, fully open to fire.

Almost everything about this game has been made about presentation/cinematics/visuals instead of actual user-control/gameplay.

That said... The fact that they abandoned the RDR-style gore is flat out ridiculous.  games from the 90s & early 2000s had better, MORE FUN roadkill/animal gore.  Why can't we just have exploding deer? It's so dissappointing that hitting an animal full speed in any vehicle has the same bodily effect as kicking one or shooting it once...

Does hunting count as combat?  Aside from dying instantly instead of actually being able to fight cougars off... You can't even harvest anything from your kills like in RDR, and there's zero gore... There's absolutely no purpose to the "hunting" in this game.

In fact, the goal of the very few "hunting missions" is to take a picture of your kill with a cellphone... How retarded are the people who made this game, or are they really just trolling us?

Speaking of trolling us... Offline players, or people without gold accounts, don't have access to the gallery, which means we can't actually use the cellphone camera unless we're on a mission that calls for it.  The only options I get as an offline ps3 player are delete picture or save to social network.

seriously, f*ck rockstar

mitchskaterr
  • mitchskaterr

Gamer

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:07 PM

I think the shooting is pretty solid, but i definitely hate the new fighting system. I wish you could do grabs and finishers. Also their only are like 3 counter animations, gta iv was way better with counters.. 

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

Melee:

In GTA 5 the combat system lets you enter some forced artificial stance, it is just like in MAFIA 2. 

The moves are scripted and every fight feels exactly the same. Definitely a downgrade to GTA 4.

I stopped there.

• Michael De Santa likes this

carl turtle
  • carl turtle

Trick

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:14 PM Edited by carl turtle, 05 November 2013 - 04:14 PM.

GTA 4's combat system was alright. You could push people, strike different moves, punch, alternative punch, kick. Disarm people, counter attacks. 

do you have down syndrome? GTA 4 combat system was just terrible, it was slow, unrealistic, ridiculous!

• DeafMetal likes this

Michael De Santa
  • Michael De Santa

Big Mouth Prick

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:20 PM Edited by Michael De Santa , 05 November 2013 - 04:21 PM.

If you have any complaint ,Please Post them in this Topic (Complaint Box)

http://gtaforums.com...a-5-thread-v20/

Thank You

I am just getting tired of these Complaint Topic.

I am happy that you stopped playing

Give this Little Kid a Big Hand

citizen_cane.gif

GamerShotgun
  • GamerShotgun

The main protagonist.

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:30 PM

Well, a typical fighting scene from GTA V:

"Oh, he's fighting another dude, but at the same time, I'm so f*cking angry I'll kick his ass... AFTER he beat up that guy, because I have a f*cking moral code when it comes to fighting... DEEEERP"

• shadyslady, DeafMetal and VVipeSide like this

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:31 PM

Well, a typical fighting scene from GTA V:

"Oh, he's fighting another dude, but at the same time, I'm so f*cking angry I'll kick his ass... AFTER he beat up that guy, because I have a f*cking moral code when it comes to fighting... DEEEERP"

I loled

So true.

Gilligan
  • Gilligan

Midnight Toker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:33 PM

OP, you posted something saying you felt sorry in response to somebody implying that you're a cry baby on the first page.

Well I feel sorry for you if your daily routine only consists of moaning about a game on an Internet forum.

GamerShotgun
  • GamerShotgun

The main protagonist.

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:37 PM

Well I feel sorry for you if your daily routine only consists of moaning about a game on an Internet forum.

What if I told you that you can check out his forum activity, and it says that he wasn't online for like 8 hours. That's pretty much debunking your "all day" theory mate. Stop being a jerk and move along if you don't have anything constructive to say. :)

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Goodfella

• Australia
  • Best Member in an Official Group 2012

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:39 AM

do you have down syndrome? GTA 4 combat system was just terrible, it was slow, unrealistic, ridiculous!

At least it felt free and not scripted like GTA V's.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• Feroci Racing
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:48 AM

What I don't is how Rockstar Leeds made THE best fighting system in any GTA game (Vice City Stories) and it was ignored by Rockstar North, the stealth attacks, neck snapping, grab, headlocking, ground takedowns, etc in VCS were awesome, hell, you you get creative by grabbing people and then dragging thm in one direction and throw them (great for buildings).

• Bonnano likes this

GamerShotgun
  • GamerShotgun

The main protagonist.

• Members

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:30 AM Edited by GamerShotgun, 07 November 2013 - 06:36 AM.

What I don't is how Rockstar Leeds made THE best fighting system in any GTA game (Vice City Stories) and it was ignored by Rockstar North, the stealth attacks, neck snapping, grab, headlocking, ground takedowns, etc in VCS were awesome, hell, you you get creative by grabbing people and then dragging thm in one direction and throw them (great for buildings).

Exactly! I can't understand how they've overlooked that, or.. just completely ignored it. Especially because later on in TBoGT, they've even included fight clubs.

• Bonnano likes this

ShinobiFixer
  • ShinobiFixer

way of the snake

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:35 AM

I like this idea, you should tell R*

ShinobiFixer
  • ShinobiFixer

way of the snake

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:17 PM Edited by ShinobiFixer, 07 November 2013 - 12:18 PM.

Agreed, players should only be allowed to carry two types of weapons.  Enough to carry on your person.  People who use sniper rifles AND shotguns should not be possible.  The shooting mechanics suck, I was expecting Max Payne sh*t.  I hate the fact that people are carrying entire arsenals on them when I'm concentrating on only using the pistol.

Don't even get me started on stealth mechanics.

VVipeSide
  • VVipeSide

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:34 PM

OP, you posted something saying you felt sorry in response to somebody implying that you're a cry baby on the first page.

This forum, all forums about anything are there to discuss, to share opinions. And you can't ignore the fact that many people don't take GTA V as the best game ever and that it didn't live up to it's hype.

If you're so keen on the game and find everything amazing, go f*cking play it you c*nt.

Gilligan
  • Gilligan

Midnight Toker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:17 PM

This forum, all forums about anything are there to discuss, to share opinions. And you can't ignore the fact that many people don't take GTA V as the best game ever and that it didn't live up to it's hype.

If you're so keen on the game and find everything amazing, go f*cking play it you c*nt.
I never said I found everything amazing, where are you getting that from?

Calm your tits, sonny Jim.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users