Photo

GTA Online Trailer Overhyped the Whole Thing

56 replies to this topic
Biohazard Abyss
  • Biohazard Abyss

SC Thread Avatar Comp Winner

• BUSTED!
  • Cuba

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:46 AM Edited by Biohazard Abyss, 05 November 2013 - 06:47 AM.

I honestly think one ofthe problems was this trailer.  It completely overhyped the experience and before you say I'm an idiot, etc, I love GTA Online, but it didn't live up to my expectations from this trailer.  I thought online was going to completely blow my mind and transcend every other online game.

Things to point out:

-Rockstar made it look like GTA Online was going to be like a story mode.  Not where you meet a character like Gerald, and then he just gives you jobs.  With the showcase of Lamar, Lester, etc I was expecting a lot more cutscenes in online, not just one to introduce the character.

-This is kind of irrelavent to the whole overhype thing I'm explaining, but I'm bothered that in the video, the player steals a Cheetah.  You can't do that, because you can't store it, let alone see it on the roads without it belonging to another player.  Misleading!  I was hoping to fight over high-end cars like how the player on the motorcycle is shooting him, I'm assuming because they want the car for themself.

-Robbing a liquor seemed awesome back then.  Maybe it was the dynamic camera angle and setup with the players, but I expected more than just pointing the gun at them and running.  But then again, how else would it be different?  Hmm...

-Apartment showcase was WAY overhyped.  I was expecting lots to do, since the narrator says you can invite your friends to hang out.  You can't do much in the apartment, which is a disappointment.  Except for the TV, it really serves no use.

-Introducing me to new characters?  Sounded like I would be more in-touch with them, not just phoning them for jobs.

-The armored truck robbery is terribly shown, lol.  With the buzzard and all, and the dude planting the sticky, it looked like some crazy next-level (haha Dom) sh*t.  But in the end, you throw a sticky out of your car, blow up the doors, get the money, then call Lester to get your wanted level off you.

Now I realize, these things done online like that overdramatic armored truck robbery can still be done, but I'm saying that the small payout doesn't make it worth it, unless you're into roleplaying or something I guess.  The trailer made online seem like it was going to be some revolutionary craziness, but everything was showcased so overdramatically.  Looks like a complete different game in the trailer! (minus the graphics of course and such)

Still a great online experience, just not like they showed it to be.

• tom_p1980, pokemon4ever and Ninjambie like this

danny2n
  • danny2n

Rat

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:50 AM

Agreed with the lack of cutscenes + any sort of story development online.

R.R
  • R.R

Soldier

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:02 AM

Eh, it's all down to interpretation.

It's the job of the trailer to overhype - it's the job of the consumer to look at it realistically. If you can't distinguish between marketing hype and what's realistic, you kinda deserve to be let down.

• Funkwalrus likes this

Biohazard Abyss
  • Biohazard Abyss

• BUSTED!
  • Cuba

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:09 AM

Eh, it's all down to interpretation.

It's the job of the trailer to overhype - it's the job of the consumer to look at it realistically. If you can't distinguish between marketing hype and what's realistic, you kinda deserve to be let down.

This trailer was overkill though.

Like, they basically duped us.  I've seen trailers like the Saints Row Cinematic one where it's awesome but you know it's cinematic, not actual gameplay.

Or trailers that just use a lot of crazy cool camera angles to lure you in.

But this trailer...

so deceiving :c

• M210F likes this

CarIJohnson
  • CarIJohnson

Grove Street Families

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:10 AM

I think it'll eventually level up to the trailer's hype.

It's only the beginning, they'll release more content soon (hopefully).

As much as I hate R* and their delays, I believe in them. They'll bring us more! 

R.R
  • R.R

Soldier

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:11 AM

This trailer was overkill though.

Like, they basically duped us.  I've seen trailers like the Saints Row Cinematic one where it's awesome but you know it's cinematic, not actual gameplay.

Or trailers that just use a lot of crazy cool camera angles to lure you in.

But this trailer...

so deceiving :c

I don't know, I don't see anything in there that's misleading tbh, I just see a well done trailer.

I mean I see this come up with just about every big game release that I pay attention to, where people say publishers lied, trailers were misleading etc etc, and the majority of the time it's the community that infers things that simply aren't there.

• Relax_and_Get_High likes this

Relax_and_Get_High
  • Relax_and_Get_High

I smoked with Johnny Hopkins

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:12 AM

I honestly think one ofthe problems was this trailer.  It completely overhyped the experience and before you say I'm an idiot, etc, I love GTA Online, but it didn't live up to my expectations from this trailer.  I thought online was going to completely blow my mind and transcend every other online game.

Things to point out:

-Rockstar made it look like GTA Online was going to be like a story mode.  Not where you meet a character like Gerald, and then he just gives you jobs.  With the showcase of Lamar, Lester, etc I was expecting a lot more cutscenes in online, not just one to introduce the character.

-This is kind of irrelavent to the whole overhype thing I'm explaining, but I'm bothered that in the video, the player steals a Cheetah.  You can't do that, because you can't store it, let alone see it on the roads without it belonging to another player.  Misleading!  I was hoping to fight over high-end cars like how the player on the motorcycle is shooting him, I'm assuming because they want the car for themself.

-Robbing a liquor seemed awesome back then.  Maybe it was the dynamic camera angle and setup with the players, but I expected more than just pointing the gun at them and running.  But then again, how else would it be different?  Hmm...

-Apartment showcase was WAY overhyped.  I was expecting lots to do, since the narrator says you can invite your friends to hang out.  You can't do much in the apartment, which is a disappointment.  Except for the TV, it really serves no use.

-Introducing me to new characters?  Sounded like I would be more in-touch with them, not just phoning them for jobs.

-The armored truck robbery is terribly shown, lol.  With the buzzard and all, and the dude planting the sticky, it looked like some crazy next-level (haha Dom) sh*t.  But in the end, you throw a sticky out of your car, blow up the doors, get the money, then call Lester to get your wanted level off you.

Now I realize, these things done online like that overdramatic armored truck robbery can still be done, but I'm saying that the small payout doesn't make it worth it, unless you're into roleplaying or something I guess.  The trailer made online seem like it was going to be some revolutionary craziness, but everything was showcased so overdramatically.  Looks like a complete different game in the trailer! (minus the graphics of course and such)

Still a great online experience, just not like they showed it to be.

Ok let me give this a go. *cracks fingers*

1. I agree with you they did make it seem it would be a whole other entity of story.

2. Like you said it's irrelevant. High end cars can be found. They are rare, yesterday I seen an entity driven by a NPC in vine wood hills.

3. How else would it be different? Although I'd like missions where we rob a store and have crazy escape routes etc. but I'm sure that will be for heists and even then you can create your own crazy route.

4. Agreed.

5. Maybe heists will address this. Besides its online for a reason the people you should be bonding with are real players.

6. The armored truck robbery was great. I like it. You say it's different but it's not all you need is a friend to block it with a buzzard and then ride up place sticky and run. Gta online is about creating YOUR OWN experiences like that seen in the trailer and that can be said for alot of the points here.

7. Don't over analyze a trailer I guess.
  • yesir1 likes this

Raylion
  • Raylion

Prankster

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:48 AM

There are some things that can could be done better but I think there's still a lot of potential to come with this game.

The GTA series since it went 3D has always been top quality so I don't think it was over hyped.

I'm looking forward to the extra features when they come.

Dead Silence
  • Dead Silence

I don't know?

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:09 AM

THIS. When they said cutscenes I didnt think it would be a guy telling me to keep my mouth shut about him 7000 times.

2. Like you said it's irrelevant. High end cars can be found. They are rare, yesterday I seen an entity driven by a NPC in vine wood hills.

It was probably a player that quit the game while in his car. High end cars like that dont spawn naturally

• Biohazard Abyss and DDBX337 like this

Zonegamer
  • Zonegamer

Front Yard Balla

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:29 AM

The lack of cut scenes and story mode is really disappointing and makes the game progress feel repetitive but considering this is an MMO-esque, I didn't really set my expectations too high but a lot of basic features are missing like..

-Variety of interiors (fast food shops, nightclub, fight club, etc.)
-Lack of character and apartment customisation
-Lack of cut scenes and storyline
-Crews (need I say more?)

And that's just the tip of the iceberg, anyway GTA Online's still young so I wouldn't write it off just yet but hopefully R* implement these features and much more down the line, no matter how small they may appear to be. 

danowat
  • danowat

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:32 AM

Games company in pre-release hype shocker.

Come on guys, you know the way business works, they aren't in it for ponies, kittens and kind words.

MisterRawgers
  • MisterRawgers

Swindler

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:44 AM

The trailer hyped me up and deceived me a little bit, but you can really only blame yourself for those sort of things. 

My biggest let downs are lack of interiors, no wildlife, lack of hairstyles and clothing + apartment interiors. There's an OK amount of clothing, but a lot of it is just different colors or designs. GTAO is still new though, they just need to pick up the pace. 

Coyteria
  • Coyteria

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:47 AM

It sounds like the trailer did exactly what it did. Blame yourself for overhyping it.

Myles Prower
  • Myles Prower

Mechanic

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:51 AM

Isn't the point of a trailer to look amazing and make you want to buy the game so from a marketing point it is supposed to be overhyped as possible without lying or being silly

SkeptikAT
  • SkeptikAT

Rat

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:56 AM

R* automatically assumes we all have 8 or so friends to play with at all time, if this was true then hell GTAO would be so much fun. Me playing with 2 of my mates and we had a good laugh.

As for the trailer being misleading, I don't see anything misleading apart from the fact they put heists in the trailer when it's not even out for release, that's the only issue I have.

DaCosta
  • DaCosta

G-T-Addict

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:29 PM

The trailer was so professionally made. I don't think it mis-sold the game but the reality is certainly less enticing than the advert. Because the same cannot be said of GTA V single-player (the game is actually better than the trailers suggest, I would say!), it makes it disappointing.

More so, Rockstar used the words revolutionary, game-changing and that there would be an emphasis on coordination, sharing and a lack of reliance on lobbies (menu screens)

I don't agree that the game is revolutionary, despite the fact that sixteen players can roam the entire world and complete tasks like gang wars and store robberies while NPC characters walk and drive around everywhere you look. It is very impressive but the trailer suggested more.

Of course, the heists are still to come - and they should be a new high-point. Also the free-DLC will add freshness while the custom creators will create infinite possibilities for race and mission designs, but I agree with Op that I am unhappy about the story mode and also the free-roam core mechanics.

There is no story mode really. It is entirely possible to avoid 99% of the missions and phone calls completely, levelling up with races and survivals instead, for instance. Missions feel like an optional add-on.

I don't think it's feasible to have too many cut scenes, due to the disk space limitations but I'd suggest the character missions should be mandatory in order to progress through the characters, which open up special abilities. Complete 5 Lamar missions and get introduced to Lester etc. The game should give you a clearer view of the missions you need to do and what you get for doing them. To give you short and medium term goals and get people wanting to do the missions.

Then they need to cleverly progress this on, using the custom mission tools, so that players work for other players (at a higher level than them, that have built a set of missions with the custom tools) in order to progress up to new even higher level players by achieving their mission set.

This would allow the fans to continue to build the GTA universe and allow Rockstar to get on with increasing the custom tool range, the universe and the activities.

This is the only way I can see the game lasting for years on end.

Also, what's wrong with having to drive to the character mission markers, like in single player? I didn't go fast-tracking around San Andreas in GTA V, so why force me to in Online? It at least makes me feel like I'm going to a location for a reason when I drive to a characters house.

GTA Online version 1 is a fundamentally flawed game. If they want the trailer to correctly represent the game, they need to change the core mechanics, making player individuality and progression the new emphasis and more intelligent player interaction.

Pinnkiepie
  • Pinnkiepie

PIE

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:37 PM

Wouldn't mind some new Contacts and Cutscenes added!

Maxing out a Contacts Contact_Meter, let's say doing X amount of Missions for Gerald, could unlock a new Contact, specializing in more Assassination Missions.

Maxing out Simeons Contact-Meter could unlock another Contact with Cutscenes etc, with a whole different type of Missions.

Shellfish
  • Shellfish

COYI

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:39 PM

We would have more content already if it werent for the car glitchers.

PreciousWall
  • PreciousWall

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:52 PM

2:00 "Or simply cruise around showing off"

reality:

explosion-voiture-warner-704939.jpg

• SidSid and dreaded_verse like this

R.R
  • R.R

Soldier

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:58 PM

^^ I lol'd.

To be fair though, it isn't rockstars' fault that the community is full of cocks. And they did try to nullify the cock factor a little.

prestonchan
  • prestonchan

Playa

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:14 PM

one thing I do expect at the begining, is the number of players

I thought this is just like other MMOPRG like everquest something we create own character in a specific server, and this cannot be transfer to other server, we stay here, and we live here, even we meet @$$hole, we fight back in a GTA style, or we avoid them just like other NPCs. 

the 16 ppl game room is rather multi-player to me

other are great, we have our own garage, we drive our own cars.

(this is a brand new idea of GTA, as you wont actually keep using 1 single car in the pass few version of GTA I guess)

we can choose our out fits (this come to a taste issue, they do have a lot of choice in the shop anyway)

and you can see your character grown day by day. 

I am level 35 now and I still thing interesting so far, and I didnt spend too much time on story mode yet.

• minieye likes this

xXxTerrorist
  • xXxTerrorist

Snitch

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:50 PM

In the video the bad guys can't shoot for sh*t.

These guys are running in with no cover at all and taking zero damage.

Totally not like this online.

Guys just snipe you down in seconds if you do this sh*t.

As for the rest I hope they just follow through and add lots of new content.

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:57 PM

I think people have lost their mind and over hype things themselves.

I watched that trailer again.. And basically, the only thing I see missing is heists and the content creator. Everything else is exactly as they showed, for me anyways.

xXxTerrorist
  • xXxTerrorist

Snitch

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:05 PM

We would have more content already if it werent for the car glitches.

Fixed it.

ElderTyrant
  • ElderTyrant

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

"THEY LIED"
No one has misled you except yourselves.

Joshancy
  • Joshancy

"I have to return some videotapes."

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

They made everything looks interesting, but you hit the nail on the head

Armored trucks robberies are stale

Almost no cutscenes

Apartments were really hyped up when they are just glorified waiting rooms/lobbies

It feels like a static world, so much potential yet it feels bland. Hopefully DLC with change this, but I'm not too optimistic about it

• Biohazard Abyss likes this

Timpey
  • Timpey

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:40 PM

In the video the bad guys can't shoot for sh*t.

These guys are running in with no cover at all and taking zero damage.

Totally not like this online.

Guys just snipe you down in seconds if you do this sh*t.

As for the rest I hope they just follow through and add lots of new content.

This. I actually read this post as if it was mine in another thread like this. It looks fun because they look badass. In reality you get blindfire sniped and have to restart the mission lol

Biohazard Abyss
  • Biohazard Abyss

• BUSTED!
  • Cuba

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:52 PM Edited by Biohazard Abyss, 05 November 2013 - 08:19 PM.

Why do people keep replying

"Hurr durr nothing is missing you're wrong."

Where in my post do I say something is missing?

Relax_and_Get_High
  • Relax_and_Get_High

I smoked with Johnny Hopkins

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:18 PM

And I see no posts saying anything is missing. 'Hurr durr.'

Crazy_LlamaX
  • Crazy_LlamaX

The Night

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:28 PM

THIS. When they said cutscenes I didnt think it would be a guy telling me to keep my mouth shut about him 7000 times.

It was probably a player that quit the game while in his car. High end cars like that dont spawn naturally

Yeah, I was hoping for a bit more story involvement but oh well. Now keep your mouth shut about me you hear?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users