Quantcast

» «
Photo

Where were gluten allergies 10 years ago?

22 replies to this topic
theadmiral
  • theadmiral

Founder And Opening Batsman: Vinewood Cricket Club

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:08 PM

Have you all (those of us that are well out of our teens!) noticed that every time you go out to a meal these days, someone, or their kid, has a gluten allergy? Why is this so common now? I'm not sure if there is actually any medical evidence. I had never heard of this when I was growing up. Slowly but surely it has become very popular to tell people you have a gluten allergy, and it seems in some cases people do this to pretend like their child is special or needs extra attention.

Where was this 10 years ago? How did it start? Why is it now so common? Is there actually any medical evidence of this? I realize there are serious diseases that involve this, but i'm just talking about your standard gluten free eater.

If you are a gluten free eater, please explain this to me!

• StormerBoy likes this

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Left to rust

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:15 PM

I bet the NWO is behind it :puts tin foil hat on:
  • theadmiral likes this

Harley
  • Harley

Cyclop 9

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:50 PM

There was a girl at my school who apparently had a gluten allergy. That was over ten years ago.

The-King
  • The-King

[Rekt Intensifies]

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:01 AM Edited by The-King, 05 November 2013 - 12:02 AM.

Gluten allergies are very much a real thing, most people who say they have gluten allergies on the other hand are pretentious jack holes who are using it as an excuse for their sh*tty diet that doesn't actually change anything.

It's all sh*tty misinformation about gluten being this ridiculously dangerous, unhealthy part of food. It's akin to the anti-vacc movement in how absurd it is, though anti-vacc is a much much much more dangerous health movement who's effects are genuinely harmful to society.

• Otter likes this

GTA_stu
  • GTA_stu

Ya filthy animal.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:11 AM Edited by GTA_stu, 05 November 2013 - 12:13 AM.

There's actually an advert for gluten free recipes on the bottom of my page.

KvsRW88l.png

I think that's basically the internet sticking it's middle finger up to you. 

• Irviding and Finn 7 five 11 like this

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:13 AM

:) The effects of all that Fluoride in the water is catching us up.

ADD, ADHD, bipolar disorder (actually manic-depressive),  expanded autism, et cetera. :^:

It isn't like the wackos didn't try to warn us...

Justin..
  • Justin..

Thug

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:19 AM

My mum has it. Though it took the doctors f*cking ages to diagnose it.

It's also a way of people asking for a non carb menu because if it's gluten free it's going to be low carb (not 100% but close) and it's easier to explain you're a coeliac than on a carb free diet

I<3GTAV
  • I<3GTAV

I LOVE GARY PAYTON NO ONE UNDERSTANDS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:23 AM

I'm only 14, so I don't really remember anything from 10 years ago, but I only know one person with a gluten allergy, and she was born prematurely so it may had something to do with it.

• StormerBoy likes this

Raavi
  • Raavi

• Antarctica
  • Best Moderator 2014
    Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:36 AM

http://www.foodaller...y-news0204.html

http://news.bbc.co.u...lth/1470899.stm

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/12209133

http://www.glutenfre...coeliac-disease

You just got proven wrong by the internet.

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:49 AM

I guess so Raavi but celiacs disease is not what i'm talking about. Most people who say they have this have not been diagnosed by a doctor!

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:22 AM Edited by F4L?, 05 November 2013 - 01:23 AM.

http://www.foodaller...y-news0204.html
http://news.bbc.co.u...lth/1470899.stm
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/12209133
http://www.glutenfre...coeliac-disease

You just got proven wrong by the internet.

I guess so Raavi but celiacs disease is not what i'm talking about. Most people who say they have this have not been diagnosed by a doctor!
As stated many people, particularly women like to be pretentious Jack holes and pretend they have it, it's probably some complex about wanting people to pity them. But it is very real indeed for some, even if they're not a celiac, I dated a girl once and tell you what, when she ate gluten it was not a fun time.

It's more recent apparent increase is probably due to better diagnosis, and again, pretentious Jack holes.

@lil weasel, I think better diagnosis is to blame rather than fluoride, many would have gone undiagnosed previously, or simply labeled as crazy.
  • theadmiral likes this

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:04 AM Edited by lil weasel, 05 November 2013 - 04:09 AM.

Not to worry. Doctors don't diagnose most problems until someone else puts a 'label' on it in a Paper.

There used to be a running joke: "Take two Aspirins ™ and call me in the morning."

After all, "Medicine is an Art not a science". and, "Doctors practice and the subject must be Patient".

It would be embarrassing, if not inconvenient for the medical community to come out and say they were wrong in that the toxic waste produced by the aluminum manufacturers wasn't as safe as they had claimed. Science marches on... (to the money man).

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:16 AM

My Grandfather lost his teeth at 35. Had a heart attack shortly after.

Point (I'm barely making) is, that this crap has been going on for a long time. The north american diet over the past century has changed immensely and not for the better. It's just that men don't like to talk about this sh*t. I know a guy with Crohn's who suffered through pain and bloody sh*t for years before bothering to speak to a doctor. Since the mid nineties, the rise of women in popular media as cultural leaders has sparked an awareness.

This is not to mention the increased effects of hormones, steroids, pesticides and breeding for quantity over quality (and using filler, literally, look up cellulose) that we've all got to deal with these days. No wonder people are questioning why heir joints hurt after drinking a fee beer or why they get itchy splotchy and farty after a dinner at the Olive Garden. We are being fed garbage and we continue to eat it up because we all follow the path of least resistance by design.
  • Moonshield and Finn 7 five 11 like this

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:45 AM

Just like peanut allergies. When I was in elementary school it was just starting to become a trending thing for kids to have a peanut allergy and all of a sudden the school turns into a no peanuts or anything that may have ever come into contact with peanuts zone. This was completely foreign to my parents when I told them about it. Where did all of this come from?

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:50 AM Edited by F4L?, 06 November 2013 - 05:50 AM.

Just like peanut allergies. When I was in elementary school it was just starting to become a trending thing for kids to have a peanut allergy and all of a sudden the school turns into a no peanuts or anything that may have ever come into contact with peanuts zone. This was completely foreign to my parents when I told them about it. Where did all of this come from?

Peanut allergies are a very real thing, These things are having higher incidence rates now due to a large number of different things, better diagnosis like I mentioned earlier, being one of them.
Overly sterile environments being another.

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:52 AM

Peanut allergies are a very real thing, These things are having higher incidence rates now due to a large number of different things, better diagnosis like I mentioned earlier, being one of them.

+1 A peanut allergy can kill you or hospitalize you if you eat it in some cases.

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:25 PM

+1 A peanut allergy can kill you or hospitalize you if you eat it in some cases.
I know that they arw serious. I have a cousin who has had a few close scraps with death because of peanuts. In just confused as to how it can be such a big deal for my generation yet my parents (who are baby boomers) never heard of it

Irviding
  • Irviding

Sing, Sing, Sing - With a Swing??

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:04 PM

as mentioned above, there are very few people with gluten allergies. a lot of people want to believe they are losing weight by not eating gluten when in reality they are probably putting on weight because when gluten is replaced it is usually replaced with sugar

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:11 PM

Not entirely true. A gluten "sensitivity" is as real as, and far more prevalent than, celiac's disease, despite a wide gamut of implications ranging from making one a bit farty to full body rashes.

It's fair to say that a lot of people have jumped onboard because everyone's always looking for the next big, easy, healthy move they can make in their lives. But a lot of these people do enjoy benefits, like, losing a metric f*ckton of excess weight, for one. It is frustrating to see people use "allergy" in this case, so I can understand the mentality.

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:16 PM

Ever had a Mexican or Indian meal? The after effects do not indicate an allergy to me. I see what you are saying though

Irviding
  • Irviding

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:22 PM

Not entirely true. A gluten "sensitivity" is as real as, and far more prevalent than, celiac's disease, despite a wide gamut of implications ranging from making one a bit farty to full body rashes.

It's fair to say that a lot of people have jumped onboard because everyone's always looking for the next big, easy, healthy move they can make in their lives. But a lot of these people do enjoy benefits, like, losing a metric f*ckton of excess weight, for one. It is frustrating to see people use "allergy" in this case, so I can understand the mentality.

How exactly do people lose a metric f*ckton of weight by cutting out gluten? I still stand by my point that most of these people buying gluten free items do not need to be buying gluten free items. There is no inherent benefit of gluten in weight loss.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:52 PM

You're combining two arguments there.

a) you will lose weight by the shear fact that pretty much everything easily available and sh*tty for you contains gluten. See: beer, burgers, gravy. It's a associative relationship. I'm not saying, nor did I, that's it's a direct or "inherent" relationship.

b) stand by your statement all you wish, but I'll stand on the side of science - gluten sensitivity is a real and often uncomfortable thing, and not as rare as you might think.

Edit - I also confused your arguments. Agreed that the fad is larger than the group who benefits.

Irviding
  • Irviding

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:08 AM

Sure, but what I was making reference to was these new "gluten free" products which are generally worse than the product with gluten. When you remove gluten from something, you make it taste like sh*t. THey usually fix that with a sh*t ton of sugar.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users