City is way over rushed

49 replies to this topic
ShadowDog94
  • ShadowDog94

Gaming since '94

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:35 AM

The city in GTA 3 feels generic to me. Just a big grey concrete jungle. Nothing special. I like the colourful vibe of Vice City with it's golf course, huge beach, Malibu Club, Ocean View and North Point Mall. Besides, literally everything about the game is an improvement over GTA 3.

AB0333
  • AB0333

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:40 PM

No, I don't agree with you. Thing is, you're blinded with GTA III, and can't see things from a different angle.

OmeXr
  • OmeXr

Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:05 AM

if im blinded than you r too. look at urself comparing a masterpiece with its expansion pack..

TJGM
  • TJGM

Boss

• Members
  • Ireland
  • Helpfulness Award
    Contribution Award [Mods]

Posted 27 November 2013 - 02:02 PM Edited by TheJAMESGM, 27 November 2013 - 02:04 PM.

All opinion if you ask me. III's map also felt rushed, if you look at industne, you'll notice R* didn't even bother adding lampposts in that area which is even more obvious if you're using Project 2dfx and flying with III aircraft.. :p

Although, I do prefer VC simply because of the colours, how R* used night vertex in VC was amazing to me and the bright colours in areas like ocean drive was awesome.

AB0333
  • AB0333

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 November 2013 - 02:50 PM

if im blinded than you r too. look at urself comparing a masterpiece with its expansion pack..

415ea_ORIG-Yeah_well_you_know_thats_just

OmeXr
  • OmeXr

Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:11 PM

id always choose an original well thought map over a big empty and meaningless "thing". thats why i will stick to III, Advance, Lcs and even hd crap IV over vc, vcs, sa and sh*thole v.
  • super_slav likes this

Kalv20
  • Kalv20

A.K.A. ManDog

• Members

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:31 PM

Doesn't that just mean you don't like the other GTA games (what aren't based in LC) because they're not "dark"?, I mean.. HD LC is literally just a replica of NYC, so it's not exactly a "well thought map".

TJGM
  • TJGM

Boss

• Members
  • Ireland
  • Helpfulness Award
    Contribution Award [Mods]

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:36 PM

You're calling the VC map a meaningless thing yet both III and VC are pretty much detailed as much as the other, very little. I don't see your hatred for the map especially since you even created a similar topic in the VCS section which if you ask me, the map in VCS is even better, especially the colours.

AB0333
  • AB0333

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:32 PM

Look man, I respect you, I love your mods, but now you're exaggerating so I'll end this discussion here. No dis.

iBUCKEYE
  • iBUCKEYE

Die Hard is a Christmas movie

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:33 PM

That " expansion pack" of a game that was made in less than 1 year went beyond what took the previous game 3 years.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:26 AM

id always choose an original well thought map over a big empty and meaningless "thing". thats why i will stick to III, Advance, Lcs and even hd crap IV over vc, vcs, sa and sh*thole v.

Jesus man, you're mods are good and stuff but your blind fanboyism for Liberty City is just too much. Amazing how you never bring up the one major flaw of gta3's LC and that it was designed for ground only. LC in the air is the unfinished mess!
  • universetwisters and Anzand17 like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Traum - Tagtraum - Am Fenster

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:46 PM

Jesus man, you're mods are good and stuff but your blind fanboyism for Liberty City is just too much. Amazing how you never bring up the one major flaw of gta3's LC and that it was designed for ground only. LC in the air is the unfinished mess!

Agreed. It's even funnier how whenever somebody challenges his fanboyism, he has a sh*tstorm...

• Anzand17 likes this

Anzand17
  • Anzand17

V.I.P

• Members

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:15 AM

The only thing that feels wrong about the game is the fact the the map is kind of flat compared to LC, and I'm mostly referring to the roads. I think VC improved the series in many ways, but I'm still not sure if I like it better than III. It's probably about equal to III for me. At least the map doesn't have huge wastelands like San Andreas. That game felt kind of empty at times.

Eh maybe it felt wrong to you but if youve ever been to florida then you would know that its fairly flat.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

The Bad Fella™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Contribution Award [GTA III]

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:34 AM

Vice City isn't that over rushed at all, yes, the game came out only one year after Grand Theft Auto III but if you play Vice City enough you will see that there is detail there, amazing, little things that make the game as good as it is. Take a look at this trailer:

In that one minute video we can see a range of interiors, vehicles, characters and weather which are all very diverse and detailed and make the game special.

I don't think that the City is over rushed at all.

Billy Benedict
  • Billy Benedict

Town Drunk

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:22 AM

whoa, gta 4 liberty city is IMHO greatest open world of all time, most definately the greastest urban area in video games. period.but yeah vice city, the city at least, wasent the best job the ever did, neither was san fierro, but alderny wasent that bad, its just that there wasent enough to do there, so whenever you wanted to bowl, play darts or hang out, you would have to leave alderny. plus the fact that everyone in-game talked sh*t about alderny didnt help.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:21 PM

I like the feel of the whole map and the fact that it was created very quickly is even more impressive to me. Yes it is a small map but I probably spent more time exploring that map more than any other map in a GTA game. If you look at the map for the first time now then it is going to look very cartoony and very very small. However at the time of GTA Vice City's release it was very impressive and exciting.

• Osho likes this

barelyretro
  • barelyretro

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:40 AM

You know, it's funny. Looking back at the trailer posted above. I have to say, Vice City's poor graphics (comparing them to our generation's set standard) actually helps make its time setting more believable. When you think of the '80s, you think fuzzy SD, blurry, geometric, blocky, pixelated, all that jazz. And pretty much that's kind of how VC looks from today's perspective. I know that has nothing to do with the city's layout design. 

But being relevant, I always felt that VC felt small. I haven't played the game since before San Andreas came out, so I'm going off memory here, but. I seem to recall the first island literally being all linked together by one long road. Like you could honestly drive from the very northern point of the city, to the very southern point without having to turn onto another street or anything. Unless I'm vaguely remembering it wrong. And the drive from both ends of the city was fairly short! 

I think the minor islands were a little random. But I guess they wanted you to feel like the ocean was all around you since you had to actually drive across those long bridges over the water to commute back and forth. But the postcard loading screens got kind of tedious.

Prawn Island was a little meaningless. Like what purpose did that island serve other than housing the movie studio? And those three rundown gang infested mansions covered in graffiti? They actually seemed very eerie to me. 

The second island was actually very boring, and I dreaded even driving through it because it was just so unremarkable. The airport/military base area had a very bizarre set up, those intersecting roads that dip and then you have to go under the bridge or whatever. And all that junk around it. I think what really brought down the visual appeal of the west side of the city though was those darn Haitian/Cuban neighborhoods. I hated, hated, hated driving through them. One, I'd always get lost because it was so unremarkable and colorless in there. And I honestly had no attachment to the gang rivalry that was set in the story between both cultures. And it just seemed strange that those rundown neighborhoods were not too far away from the trending downtown Vice City area. You'd think the airport would have been placed in between the poorer neighborhoods and the business districts, and not at the far opposite end of the downtown area where all the business execs and wealthy people have flights to catch so they have to drive through the crappy poverty infested slums. 

• Mr_Leone and Scaglietti like this

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:55 PM

Never have I read something so rubbish. Vice City offers one of the best GTA vibes out of all of the 3-D games for me.
  • MiamiViceCity likes this

Jeansowaty
  • Jeansowaty

Not feelin' up to it right now, sorry.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:02 PM

Vice City is kind of too flashy. I know, I know, it's in Florida and in the 80's what would you expect? But see it: For example Manhunt 2 is set in Cottonmouth, close to Vice City. Is it as flashy and colorful? Nah.

zkroll
  • zkroll

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:56 PM

Vice City isn't about benchmarks and quantity.  It was an incredible story and atmosphere. 

If you're unable to appreciate that, perhaps it wasn't the game for you. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users