» «
Photo

City is way over rushed

49 replies to this topic
OmeXr
  • OmeXr

Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:30 PM Edited by OmeXr, 18 November 2013 - 07:41 PM.

as you know vice city isnt that much as detailed or well thought as gta3. weird blank spaces, everything seems to be tried to cover up with big palm trees or big bushes.. and i think with the years passing by, its getting even worse. they had a great concept for this game, but the effort to bring this idea to life is equal only to an expansion pack. i can never take vice city seriously as gta3. with its unfinished and rushed work it totally feels like a expansion pack rather than a full game. what do you guys think?

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

"Goddess Of Light"

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:39 PM

The only thing that feels wrong about the game is the fact the the map is kind of flat compared to LC, and I'm mostly referring to the roads. I think VC improved the series in many ways, but I'm still not sure if I like it better than III. It's probably about equal to III for me. At least the map doesn't have huge wastelands like San Andreas. That game felt kind of empty at times.

• iainspad likes this

TonyMontanaCDL
  • TonyMontanaCDL

Snitch

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:14 AM

The game is 10 years old and this is what you're bitching about?

When it first came out, it was impressive. Of course it don't look as great today since 5 came out.

• RoachKiller_416, Pastry and iainspad like this

WBaker
  • WBaker

Acatalepsis

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:15 AM

Vice City was made for people who hated navigating Liberty City. It's flat and has a simple layout. I liked it personally.
  • iainspad likes this

Huntr
  • Huntr

Mercenary

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:14 PM

To be fair, they created Vice City under a year. And they've made helluva a job in my opinion.

• Blennerville likes this

thatstupidbug
  • thatstupidbug

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:16 PM

the city can be split in two part. the beach Island is great, good layout, lot of roads, neon everywhere, various enterable buildings (North point mall, police station, hotel, malibù etc...), a couple of little bumps here and there and the feeling that the city is a little bit bigger. The Mainland (with downtown) is where the map disappoint. Downtown is just a square with 4 roads around,, the long road from the docks to downtown take away half of the space, and the airport/docks is flat and empty. Plus, there are less interiors and  the overall quality is lacking at best, like in the junkyard, that take a lot of useful land for no real reason

But every GTA at the end suffer from a disease called "last Island/city sucks". In gta III shoreside is the Island with less road and buildings, in SA las venturas is less detailed than Los santos, and even alderney in GTA IV is the dreader part of the game (maybe done on purpose, but is still the less detailed) . But at the end of the day, i still think Libery city (in gta III) is the best city ever, because if you count the little space they used, it feels bigger and richer,,

super_slav
  • super_slav

Fo Shizzle

• Members

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:33 AM

Well VC was going to be an expansion pack for GTA 3 so that probably explains why it only took 1 year to develop.

Algonquin Assassin
  • Algonquin Assassin

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:51 AM

Isn't Miami/Florida naturally flat though? The only part I don't like about VC is the excessively large beach. Other than that it's my favourite city from the GTA III era.

gnad
  • gnad

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:37 AM

When it first came out, it was impressive. Of course it don't look as great today since 5 came out.

Shmiqq
  • Shmiqq

you know how it is man

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:19 PM

To be fair, they created Vice City under a year. And they've made helluva a job in my opinion.

9 months to be precise. In VC, I can learn to live with the map. It's nice. But in VCS, it's a problem especially with the misguiding radar.

Fairly easy to navigate through anyway, even when I play it on iPhone.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM, WILLY!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:37 PM

Isn't Miami/Florida naturally flat though? The only part I don't like about VC is the excessively large beach. Other than that it's my favourite city from the GTA III era.

Yep. Hell, in Florida, you don't even have basements, since you're so flip friggin close to the sea level.

iBUCKEYE
  • iBUCKEYE

Die Hard is a Christmas movie

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:38 AM

I loved the city. Game was made in less than a year and it the best of the 3d era.

Pooyan Cyrus
  • Pooyan Cyrus

Drake stole my notebook :(

• Members
  • Mars
  • Helpfulness Award [Concepts]
    Best Concept Story 2013 "Grand Theft Auto: Ultimate"
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:04 PM

In an interview about VC's 10th anniversary release, The Benz said that VC was going to be an expansion pack for III, and those closed tunnels were originally going to be a way to Vice City, not Upstate Liberty.
But they made the game take place in past, so that it wouldn't fit cuz it would seem like a time travel! Also, the game had nothing looking the same as 3, so that it would become a 1.5Gb download!
Vice City WAS NOT expected to be a stand-alone so it wasn't much detailed.

OmeXr
  • OmeXr

Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:16 AM

can you give a link for that interview? that point about tunnels connecting to vc makes no sense. because they ve said they made the tunnels so player can think there is more to lc than the eye sees but that statement completely against this. however, at least miami billboard and ray going to miami makes sense now.

• Ronin

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:51 AM Edited by Markwey, 10 November 2013 - 08:56 AM.

Still, after all these years, no matter how "flat" the map may seem - no GTA game beats the amazing atmosphere of Vice City.

And yeah, like someone mentioned before me - since it only took about a year to make VC, they made a helluva job, and this was back in 2002.

Okay, VC MIGHT have been a little bit rushed, maybe, I don't know, but they still managed to it the amazing game they did.

OmeXr
  • OmeXr

Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:54 AM

the point that they rushed the map caused problems not to its own game, but vcs aswell. have you noticed that vcs almost changed %60 of original vc map? and its not just "its 1984 and there has to be some changes" its because the map f*cking stinks. the second island is crap comparing to the first one. the houses are not even boxes, they are some mix of triangle and some shape of octagon. yes, they are that bad. i know that vc needed bigger map so people can see it as a improvement over the original game, but making bad buildings just for that purpose is just awful. its just the same as san andreas with c/p vc map and sf being so rushed only to have a big map. just look at gta3, it maybe really small compare to any other gta game, hell even original gta, but it have a soul. every place serves to some purpose. there is always some thinking behind making some building. but i can never say the same thing for vc and sa. and also, vc maybe didnt have enough time to make a detailed and well thought city and i get it but how about sa? i mean sf is just crap and flat. and it felt always empty to me.

MrMateczko
  • MrMateczko

I can be lazy only for so long...

• Members
  • Poland
  • Helpfulness Award [Chain Game]

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:24 AM

If you don't like it, make your own map.

They simply had the most time making GTA III, than VC or SA.

Same goes for GTA IV, the map isn't big, but it's filled with lots of stuff.

VC do seem to have bad map, but the map is not what makes the game great, it's all the other things.

SA is just legendary, and what makes you say that SF is boring? I find it quite interesting, and different to the rest of the cities. I actually like it more than LV.

Cherokee3
  • Cherokee3

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:41 PM

Vice city isn't much detailed i agree... Places serve not much purpose in mainland, it was supposed to be more industrialized. Roads are not well placed especially downtown area, cars spawn to make a 180 u-turn to get back on the road... But the atmosphere is amazing. The radio stations are great, match the colorful 80s lifestyle, song selection just like they are specially created for the game. The voice acting is a huge improvement. Cars handle sluggish and the braking doesn't respond fast enough, but i think the game is set to be slow paced. Feel much safer and free than in crowd infested LC, where i don't dare to walk out of my car, or drive slowly through a gang hood, esp the mafia... Alderney is actually cool, just like a city in the rust belt. Cruising with jim, terry and clay under orange sky while listening to LRR is a great feeling. Sigh... After that scene in V, playing TLAD is sombre and sad.

OmeXr
  • OmeXr

Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:48 PM

i can, and i can make it better.

how do you feel now?

just wait for vice city sxe, which will be my next mod after gta3 sxe. i can show anybody that the 3 era trilogy could ve been better, and i will.

just check the mod page, and you will understand what im trying to do:

http://www.gtagarage...ow.php?id=21448

GeorgeGTA
  • GeorgeGTA

GTA Master Gamer

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:31 PM

When I played first time GTA Vice City, that was in 2003, I was surprised how it's good game. I like map in this time, but now GTA Vice City is old. I don't like map, there are a lot of short streets.

MrMateczko
  • MrMateczko

I can be lazy only for so long...

• Members
  • Poland
  • Helpfulness Award [Chain Game]

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:05 PM

i can, and i can make it better.

how do you feel now?

just wait for vice city sxe, which will be my next mod after gta3 sxe. i can show anybody that the 3 era trilogy could ve been better, and i will.

just check the mod page, and you will understand what im trying to do:

http://www.gtagarage...ow.php?id=21448

I didn't write that in sarcasm, I know your work on GTA III's improved map. Renderware engine allows us to make everything we want.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:08 AM

Playing Vice City right now, I painfully do admit how lacking in detail the map seems, I enjoyed GTA III a lot more, and still do, that game was a friggen masterpiece of its time.

Grievous
  • Grievous

Wall of Text Armada

• Members

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:51 PM

What's a shame is that even with Vice City Stories, they did not took advantage of the entire beach area that occupies Half of the east island terrain. Half of an island space!

Sure they at least added one side mission, beach patrol, to the area, and had one tough story mission take place there as well ... but that's it !

Perhaps the even bigger question is why they did made the beach such a huge are to begin with, and how come not a single character leaves anywhere near the area? it's full of hotels and apartment complex on the side.

Alderney is actually cool, just like a city in the rust belt. Cruising with jim, terry and clay under orange sky while listening to LRR is a great feeling. Sigh... After that scene in V, playing TLAD is sombre and sad.

Spoiler

OmeXr
  • OmeXr

Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:37 PM

i agree about vcs. lcs and vcs had the greatest cities in the 3era and they never able to use them in full size. vcs is all about mainland. on the other hand, original vc used both island equally.

and sadly, even with all those map fixes that vcs brought, i still think there is just much and much more work there to be done.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:47 PM

What's a shame is that even with Vice City Stories, they did not took advantage of the entire beach area that occupies Half of the east island terrain. Half of an island space!

Sure they at least added one side mission, beach patrol, to the area, and had one tough story mission take place there as well ... but that's it !

Perhaps the even bigger question is why they did made the beach such a huge are to begin with, and how come not a single character leaves anywhere near the area? it's full of hotels and apartment complex on the side.

Alderney is actually cool, just like a city in the rust belt. Cruising with jim, terry and clay under orange sky while listening to LRR is a great feeling. Sigh... After that scene in V, playing TLAD is sombre and sad.

Spoiler

And that whole tidbit about Alderney has what to do with Vice City?

Grievous
  • Grievous

Wall of Text Armada

• Members

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:29 AM

How should I know? ask the original poster of that comment.

I guess since we were discussing about the sandbox design and the atmosphere it created through details and gameplay physics, he sought to compare the two, Vice and Alderney, in his own way.

Might seem random, but there's plenty worse elsewhere.

chetstarr
  • chetstarr

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:18 PM

Can't disagree with that

OmeXr
  • OmeXr

Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:14 PM Edited by OmeXr, 22 November 2013 - 08:23 PM.

guys, im not a whiner or a spolied brat gets mad at old games. that was not the point of this topic.

even with nine months, they could make the city a lot better and meaningful. you dont need months to create a city or a street, if you have an idea of what you are doing. but r* just made a map with no thinking behind it.

but gta3 wasnt like this. even though it was a lot smaller comparing to vc, the details and well thought map design some how keep people interested and also feeling that the city actually bigger than it seems.

this is how i feel about gta4 too. maybe its small but still so much more detailed than gta v will ever be.

also maybe they had 3 years developing gta3 (1999-2001) but they were finished with map at first and then they had started with missions and stuff.

but this goes vice versa with vc. missions first and the map second. they were like "we will need a house in this mission and lets make it, and then lets fill the empty area around it with sh*tty buildings". thats how they made gtavc. the map was based on how missions was progressed. gta3 was vice versa.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
    Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:40 PM

How should I know? ask the original poster of that comment.

I guess since we were discussing about the sandbox design and the atmosphere it created through details and gameplay physics, he sought to compare the two, Vice and Alderney, in his own way.

Might seem random, but there's plenty worse elsewhere.

ah, twas a misunderstanding. Got my wires crossed

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:33 PM Edited by GtaIvFanboy, 22 November 2013 - 09:49 PM.

but his not comparing it to V Is he his Comparing it to III   how about reading peoples posts before commenting. :dozing:  and i agree liberty was set up lot better vice city was alright but it never had the Magic Feel LC had IMO. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users