Quantcast

» «
Photo

If you could bring back a now defunct game studio, which would it be?

45 replies to this topic
MindCorrupt
  • MindCorrupt

iCorrupt

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:03 PM

For me it would have to be Bullfrog, would have loved to see a proper sequel to Theme Hospital and Dungeon Keeper (although War For The Overworld is looking promising). Always enjoyed the quirky humour they had in their titles, really enjoyable games. I hear EA own the licence for these titles still, but I just don't think they'd be the same made by them.

It's sad also Muckyfoot (formed by former Bullfrog devs) went under as well, Startopia (space station sim) was fantastic and really deserved a sequel. If you enjoyed games like Theme Hospital you should give it a crack.

What about you guys?

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:30 PM

Bizarre creations.

I MISS YOU PROJECT GOTHAM RACING.

But it's nice to know the majority are still in game dev, with a lot forming lucid games.

W2B
  • W2B

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:44 PM Edited by Werebot85, 04 November 2013 - 08:12 PM.

I totally agree about Bullfrog and Mucky Foot. Startopia was awesome

Also Sierra. They made some really great classic adventures and of course the Quest for Glory series (which I loved). They were taken over by Vivendi and now Sierra is owned by Activision Blizzard..

Another studio that sadly closed down in '98 or '99 was Amazing Studio. As far as I know (I may be wrong) they only made one game, which was Heart of Darkness. It was an amazing game and I would've loved to see what else they could've come up with.

Heart_of_darkness.jpg

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:17 PM Edited by Xerukal, 04 November 2013 - 08:19 PM.

Pandemic Studios. 

256px-Pandemiclogo.svg.png

Ah, Pandemic. How I miss you so much. Destroy All Humans, Mercenaries... and most importantly... Star Wars Battlefront. Games of my late childhood and early teenhood. To this day, I have never stopped damning EA for closing them down. 

f*ck you, Electronic Arts. f*ck you very much. 

What could have been if Pandemic had stayed open...

So many possibilities, really. A proper sequel to Battlefront rather than just rebooting it (No disrespect to DICE. But I'm not too confident in them yet, lol), another Destroy all Humans, maybe even a potential sequel to Lord of the Rings: Conquest. It was one of their final games, on the weaker side for sure, but it had that Battlefront potential. That feel to it that Battlefront 1 once had. It could've been something great. 

• Tyler, 018361 and DeafMetal like this

Shmoopy
  • Shmoopy

Thug (͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:22 PM

RarewareLogo.jpg

marmoo
  • marmoo

Thug

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:25 PM

Acornsoft

Anyone one who can produce a game like Elite should go on forever

Ermac.
  • Ermac.

watermelon sarcasm

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:44 PM

The original

989_Studios_Logo.png

Syphon Filter, Twisted Metal III  (my personal favorite from the series), Jet Moto, Cool Boarders. Those were the days.

Curse you Sony, CURSE YOU.

Human

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:49 PM

I agree with Xerukal. Pandemic studios was great and if I could I would revive the company. Pandemic Australia made one of the funniest and most enjoyable games with Destroy All Humans. The first two were some of the greatest games that I had ever played. I never played any of the games after the first two, but I head they were not as good anyway.   

acmilano
  • acmilano

Soldier

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:53 PM

The original

989_Studios_Logo.png

Syphon Filter, Twisted Metal III  (my personal favorite from the series), Jet Moto, Cool Boarders. Those were the days.

Curse you Sony, CURSE YOU.

Yes! I would like to see 989 and Syphon Filter again. Also Pandemic Studios,creators of Mercenaries and Saboteur.

Crazyeighties
  • Crazyeighties

Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:57 PM Edited by Crazyeighties, 04 November 2013 - 08:59 PM.

The studio that brought us "The Getaway" and "The Getaway Black Monday"

Crazyeighties
  • Crazyeighties

Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:01 PM Edited by Crazyeighties, 04 November 2013 - 09:01 PM.

RarewareLogo.jpg

isn't that the "roush industry's" logo

iiConTr0v3rSYx
  • iiConTr0v3rSYx

Warning.... Warning... Controversy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:15 PM

Pandemic, Free Radical and Real Time Worlds.

• Xerukal likes this

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:45 PM Edited by nightwalker83, 04 November 2013 - 10:45 PM.

Dynamix then they could remake the sequel to Betrayal At Krondor  or sell the rights so that someone else could improve on it.

Cosmic Gypsy
  • Cosmic Gypsy

It's time for a trip

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:22 AM

Another studio that sadly closed down in '98 or '99 was Amazing Studio. As far as I know (I may be wrong) they only made one game, which was Heart of Darkness. It was an amazing game and I would've loved to see what else they could've come up with.

Heart_of_darkness.jpg

You're a legend for posting this, i remember this from when i was a child, only a few people i know ever had it, it was amazing. To this day i sometimes remind myself of it and ask people if they remember. 

MindCorrupt
  • MindCorrupt

iCorrupt

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:37 AM

RarewareLogo.jpg

I'm pretty sure Rare is still operating, it's just owned by MS.

Myron
  • Myron

I shot Reagan

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:48 AM

Interplay, but all the members that did anything of note have either joined InXile or Obsidian entertainment so I guess it doesn't matter.

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Boss

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:15 AM

Black Rock Studio (Pure, Split/Second)

W2B
  • W2B

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:51 AM

Heart_of_darkness.jpg

You're a legend for posting this, i remember this from when i was a child, only a few people i know ever had it, it was amazing. To this day i sometimes remind myself of it and ask people if they remember. 

My copy of the game was the only one I ever saw in my country. It was extremely rare, and no one I knew even heard about it. But I was lucky to find it, it was awesome. Frustratingly difficult at times, but awesome!

ClaudeSpeed1911
  • ClaudeSpeed1911

J.E.C.

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:37 AM

Pandemic Studios. 

Ah, Pandemic. How I miss you so much. Destroy All Humans, Mercenaries... and most importantly... Star Wars Battlefront. Games of my late childhood and early teenhood. To this day, I have never stopped damning EA for closing them down. 

So many possibilities, really. A proper sequel to Battlefront rather than just rebooting it (No disrespect to DICE. But I'm not too confident in them yet, lol), another Destroy all Humans, maybe even a potential sequel to Lord of the Rings: Conquest. It was one of their final games, on the weaker side for sure, but it had that Battlefront potential. That feel to it that Battlefront 1 once had. It could've been something great. 

Their last game The Sabutour was overlooked, the game was great.

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:50 AM

@Werebot85 Do you still have the game?

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:28 AM

Zipper_Interactive_Logo.png

Pandemic and Rare are just as f*cking worthy as mentioned.

W2B
  • W2B

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:50 AM

@Werebot85 Do you still have the game?

Yes. I don't even know if it will still run on my pc today (I have the pc version); haven't played it in almost 14 years

Mr. Sleepy
  • Mr. Sleepy

Infamous

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:13 AM

Never really played anything except The Saboteur, but I'd love a damn sequel or prequel or anything!

CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:51 AM

As mentioned a few times, Pandemic Studios is a defunct studio that should come back.  Many of their games aren't quite "top-notch", but they're still pretty damn fun.  The Saboteur is a very underrated sandbox game.  It's like a mash-up of GTA, Assassin's Creed, Mercenaries 2, Mafia, and a few other sandbox games.

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:08 AM

Pandemic Studios. 

Their last game The Sabutour was overlooked, the game was great.

Yeah, loved Saboteur. Still have the retail copy right here with me.  

Good times...

Boris The Vodka
  • Boris The Vodka

[Y]es

• The Yardies
  • Russia

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:55 AM Edited by SatournFan, 05 November 2013 - 01:07 PM.

Nevermind.

iiConTr0v3rSYx
  • iiConTr0v3rSYx

Warning.... Warning... Controversy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:30 PM

THQ was a publisher, not a developer.

And like what Capcom is currently doing, they killed themselves; sh*tty games with half the content as DLC.

MrPeteyMax
  • MrPeteyMax

DON'T TOUCH ME YOU FILTHY CASUAL

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:42 PM Edited by MrPeteyMax, 05 November 2013 - 12:44 PM.

bullfrog_productions_logo_616.png Or   psygnosis.png

Dnero
  • Dnero

Top Dawg

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:44 PM

Whoever said Pandemic  :^:

Next gen Mercenaries, oh my god.

• Street Mix likes this

The Pizza Delivery Guy
  • The Pizza Delivery Guy

If You Know What I Mean

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:37 PM

Rareware and Pandemic. They had fantastic games.

No RARE is not Rareware. It just isn't.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users