Photo

The Aspects of Society Held in the Highest Regard are Forms of Slavery

139 replies to this topic
Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:21 PM

However, would parents even prefer their daughters be "pretty", or their sons athletic if it weren't for societal pressures?

You can only blame society for so much before the blame falls at the feet of the individual. And the sad fact is that too often those of us on the left wing of the political spectrum lionise the working classes whilst overlooking their rampant bigotry and medieval values system.

Consider how many resources are open to us, whether you be a factory worker or a street cleaner, consider how many outlets there are which show us the fallacy of gender roles, homophobia and other beloved prejudices which refuse to die.

Then have a five minute talk with the average worker bee, and see just how quickly they blame every f*cking problem on immigrants, gays, gay immigrants and anyone with a different skin colour.

It's not society that creates this bigotry, it's not the education system which ingrains it, it's them, it's just them.They're bad people, and they raise their sons to be stupid and their daughters to be weak.

They're ignorant and they wear it like a badge of honour, and I think it's time we stopped blaming ourselves when those around us refuse to better themselves.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:34 PM Edited by lil weasel, 04 November 2013 - 01:39 PM.

RoadRunner71: “Without education you become a brainless machine easily manipulable [sic].”

Politics: This is very important to Politicians, they need unthinking and or ignorant voters. And, they are doing very well with the current Educational System as it is. So cutting back on unnecessary lessons won’t change a thing.

“Child Labour”: Putting the truant trash to work (if the labour pool wasn’t already overloaded) might cut crime on the streets.

Education needs to have you learn how to do basic math (count change, etc.), read a map, and the National language (speak, read/write), and everyday ‘science’.

There is no need for General Education to spend time and money on frivolous extras. That is the business of ‘Business’ to train for their specific needs.

Everybody does not need to learn:

‘Rocket science’: How many of the dirty masses will use any of these 'important' math calculations while fishing the chips out of the fryer. However, boiling an egg chemistry would be useful.

Computer ‘science’: The biggest and most expensive fraud in the education business. They teach how to turn it on and off, along with searching with Google. Rare that a class learns decent Programming in a truly useful language.

Geography: If the person knows how to read a map that should cover it.

Social Studies: Who cares if the natives eat faux steak or poi? Where there is multi-coloured skirts as the National form of dress and people are driving Audi automobiles at 120 km per hour is the norm?

History: It seems this is National Pride issue (and thus skewed). People forget it anyway, and repeat it, as in the adage.

Knowing how to read and use a good Paper (‘Hard Copy’) Encyclopedia should cover it all.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Empty Pleasures and Desperate Measures since 1994

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:54 PM

So what you're saying is that your perception of violence is worse, not that the violence itself is? Isn't that logically akin to claiming that crime is getting worse when the statistics show it better? Seems pretty disingenuous to me.

Armed forces aren't a new phenomenon, either. In fact the number of individuals involved directly in the armed forces in most nations as a proportion of population is reducing.

I believe the violence is worse. In part due to the reasons I gave above. But also due to technology. We have more powerful weapons. Individuals are capable of causing more harm. More weapons are available. Guns are everywhere. The potential for violence is great.

My main point is: we have massive outfits geared toward nothing but war. Massive, technological outfits designed for maximum defense AND offense. Pre-calculated, essentially pre-meditated purveyors of war. Cavemen didn't have that.
So it's a question of what you feel, rather than what the evidence suggests? Isn't that basically just an article of faith? Also, capability is not an indicator of intent or actuality. The great warring states of the modern age have had access to weapons capable of bringing about the demise of humanity yet they've never been used, why is that,? Because a weapon employed for the purposes of deterrence has more strategic value as a deterrent than as a weapon. Even the worst and least competent leaders of the modern age have accepted the sword of Damocles which is highly destructive capability. The more you threaten its use, the more likely you are to be consumed by it.

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

Founder And Opening Batsman: Vinewood Cricket Club

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:56 PM

Also, you may be able to make an argument about attractiveness, but it is a fact that physical fitness leads to a better health situation. That is not a construct of society.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:41 PM

Where this argument falls down is that the slave masters go through basically the same education system. If you drop out of that system there's always the danger of becoming an ignorant chav, so it's best to get an education and then make your choices.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:28 PM Edited by lil weasel, 04 November 2013 - 03:30 PM.

[...], so it's best to get an education and then make your choices.

Yeah, Masters degrees get to work the counter, BA's work the fryer.

At an equal opportunity workplace everybody cleans the head.

• Boxman108 likes this

Raavi
  • Raavi

• Antarctica
  • Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:32 PM Edited by Raavi, 04 November 2013 - 03:41 PM.

Happiness = P + (5xE) + (3xH)

Instead of questioning society, try to achieve the above.

@Our resident senile senior citizen. For everything you do be it willing or unwillingly there is a mathematical equation.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:39 PM Edited by sivispacem, 04 November 2013 - 04:03 PM.

What a surprise to see GTAForums' most vocal critic of education cropping up in this topic. I've never understood your mentality on the subject. You go on about how education is worthless at increasing intellect, and then accused anyone who is educated on a subject of being a pedant to hide your own lack of understanding. Perhaps if you were better educated you'd struggle at expressing your views on the subject a little less?

Some food for thought there.

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:44 PM

That only happens when people aren't intelligent enough to pick the right type of degree path. If you honestly think a BA in English is going to land you a high paying job, you're nuts. Same for Gender Studies or anything of similar nature.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:22 PM

That's not entirely true. It does you no favours to study some of the humanities in some disciplines but I know several people with English literature degrees in pretty high flying positions. Things like management consultancies don't really give a crap what you're degree is in.

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:29 PM

That's not entirely true. It does you no favours to study some of the humanities in some disciplines but I know several people with English literature degrees in pretty high flying positions. Things like management consultancies don't really give a crap what you're degree is in.

I'm talking from an American perspective. I should've mentioned that. It might be different in the U.K. but a lot of English BAs here can't get jobs in their field of choice and have to resort to jobs at Staples or Starbucks. Undergrads can't get teaching jobs in New York and need a Master's degree, so they're stuck usually.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:33 PM

If everyone had a masters degree they would, then again if everyone had a masters degree the world would be a different place.

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:42 PM

@vlynor , I know plenty of people in the general business world with English or Psychology degrees that make six figures and are very high up. Who told you that?

Boxman108
  • Boxman108

Thug

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:54 PM

Hard to believe for me that knowledge itself would ever be detrimental.  Maybe useless as society is now but certainly not a bad thing.  What I hate is the education system.  It seems heavily apparent to me that most of it early on has been designed similarly to the general idea of a prison.  At the very least it supports the hive mind, which is never a good thing.

I was happy to be out of public school and started being homeschooled by the age of 10.  Was still able to learn everything I needed to know without all of the indoctrination.  Of course we still had to abide by general guidelines so I don't see why it's all that farfetched that the government is deliberately trying to have control over what everyone is supposed to know and learn.  I'd rather everyone have the option to simply learn all what is important to them personally, but unfortunately not all parents are good people, or a lot of times are just not able to access information about a lot of things on their own due to poverty, and idiots who do want a hive mind will do their best to try to stop that from happening.

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:07 PM Edited by Vlynor, 04 November 2013 - 05:09 PM.

@vlynor , I know plenty of people in the general business world with English or Psychology degrees that make six figures and are very high up. Who told you that?

B.A.s or Masters? And I'm just speaking from personal experience. I know some guys I play PC games can't find jobs with their history degrees, some English majors who are forced to work at Staples to pay back their loans, etc. And Arts/Humanities degrees have a ~10% unemployment rate after graduation.

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:33 PM Edited by theadmiral, 04 November 2013 - 05:36 PM.

B.A.s or Masters? And I'm just speaking from personal experience. I know some guys I play PC games can't find jobs with their history degrees, some English majors who are forced to work at Staples to pay back their loans, etc. And Arts/Humanities degrees have a ~10% unemployment rate after graduation.

BAs. Jobs like anything else are more about who you know, your motivation, getting noticed by your resume, and presenting yourself well in an interview.

Are you in the workforce? I think certain degrees in the humanities would definitely give you a disadvantage, but English is not one of them. Psychology is not either. If you are not in a specialized field, having a degree is pretty much just as important as what it is in.

PC gamers are not the best people to talk to about finding jobs - You'll find people that sit around on their arse all day and do not even try, but tell you that it is because of their degree or whatever else.

I know people with computer science degrees, physics degrees, chemistry degrees, etc that all cannot find work either. It is more about your attitude , ambition, and motivation.

Your original statement " If you honestly think a BA in English is going to land you a high paying job, you're nuts" is wildly inaccurate , with all due respect. I can tell you from personal experience in the workforce (business environment, not teaching) that I know plenty of people with a bachelors in English that make plenty of money. Psychology too, as I said, even though you did not specificly insult people with that degree.

For your staples example, I don't buy it - You can find a better job than staples without even going to college or graduating high school.

Boxman108
  • Boxman108

Thug

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:56 PM

Better job than staples without graduating highschool? lol.  I don't know what planet you're living on but I haven't been able to get a job for over three years despite having done so and dozens of interviews.

Mr. House
  • Mr. House

Lucky 38

• The Precinct
  • United-States

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:05 PM

Without education you become a brainless machine easily manipulable.

I guess this is why you must work under others to serve others. I guess this is why you must pay taxes to support your own supervision and control.

Government is there for a reason, while there should be as little as possible to maximize freedoms, certain things are a necessity.

Nope.

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:05 PM Edited by theadmiral, 04 November 2013 - 06:07 PM.

Better job than staples without graduating highschool? lol.  I don't know what planet you're living on but I haven't been able to get a job for over three years despite having done so and dozens of interviews.

I made 16$ an hour with 401k and benefits at age 15 in highschool by taking a certified pharmacy tech exam (2 months of studying, 1 day of testing) and then working  as a Pharmacists assistant entering perscriptions into a computer and then counting pills and filling them.

Location could be some of it, i'm in a major metropolitan area.

If you cannot get a job in 3 years time, that is on you and no one else.

Mr. House
  • Mr. House

Lucky 38

• The Precinct
  • United-States

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:11 PM

Do you know how many millionaires only have a high school education, or not even that?

• theadmiral likes this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"Not Santa's balls!"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:21 AM Edited by El_Diablo, 05 November 2013 - 12:22 AM.

We aren't happy with what we have. Will we ever be?

look man, speak for yourself.

I mean, who are you speaking for?

you don't represent mankind.

the tone of this whole topic (read: every post you make) is very telling. it's crying out for depression.

for whatever reason you appear to be a relatively sad and/or frustrated person. it's just oozing out of your words and attitude.

but seriously; speak for yourself.

I can't believe people have been honestly "debating" with you point-for-point. everything you type reeks of self-absorbed, pseudo-intellectual, and above-all-else pretentious horsesh*t. you have no special insight and your "philosophy" of life is not the least bit revelatory.

Boxman108
  • Boxman108

Thug

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:06 AM

I made 16$ an hour with 401k and benefits at age 15 in highschool by taking a certified pharmacy tech exam (2 months of studying, 1 day of testing) and then working  as a Pharmacists assistant entering perscriptions into a computer and then counting pills and filling them.

Same dismissive attitude most douchebags seem to have.  No wonder you were able to get a job.

• theadmiral likes this

BGModder
  • BGModder

Lola's Pimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:16 AM

Thread title is very true, thread content is assbackwards dumb sh*t lol

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:16 AM

Same dismissive attitude most douchebags seem to have.  No wonder you were able to get a job.

ROFL!

IM_YOUR_GOD
  • IM_YOUR_GOD

Christian Zionist Rank 9

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:51 AM Edited by IM_YOUR_GOD, 05 November 2013 - 02:51 AM.

slavery.jpg

I wonder if this guy will exchange a wife, a decent education and work with a 401K for the scars on his back.

"Mis-education is a form of slavery"

• theadmiral likes this

hflgk
  • hflgk

gtaforums.com

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:38 PM Edited by hflgk, 19 November 2013 - 06:43 PM.

We aren't happy with what we have. Will we ever be?

look man, speak for yourself.

I mean, who are you speaking for?

you don't represent mankind.

the tone of this whole topic (read: every post you make) is very telling. it's crying out for depression.

for whatever reason you appear to be a relatively sad and/or frustrated person. it's just oozing out of your words and attitude.

but seriously; speak for yourself.

I can't believe people have been honestly "debating" with you point-for-point. everything you type reeks of self-absorbed, pseudo-intellectual, and above-all-else pretentious horsesh*t. you have no special insight and your "philosophy" of life is not the least bit revelatory.

This isn't my "philosophy of life".  This is partially my view of society.

People aren't happy with what they have.  This is why they always seek improvement.  This is why they sought improvement to begin with.  Sure.  People are happy with the iPhone for a few months.  But then they expect an upgraded model just around the corner.  People act as if life isn't worth living unless something is always improved or upgraded.

I'll speak for myself when I can live for myself.  When I can live without submersing myself into a society plagued by materialistic addiction just to earn money to exhibit my own symptoms of this disease.  I'll speak for myself when expectations of societal contribution are removed.  I'll speak for myself when I can exist for myself.

I'm not "crying out for depression".  I'm expressing a view.  If you would rather misrepresent my view as depression, so be it.  Continue to ignore the actual message and cast it aside as depressed drivel as most have.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:54 PM

Of course people want more than they have. That's equally applicable to educational and philosophical enlightenment. You can't dismiss all want as immoral wholesale.

hflgk
  • hflgk

gtaforums.com

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:58 PM

slavery.jpg

I wonder if this guy will exchange a wife, a decent education and work with a 401K for the scars on his back.

"Mis-education is a form of slavery"

Yes.  This image reveals the results of slavery.  But not modern slavery.  Slavery is simply the circumstance of having to succumb to superior influences.  We experience this today.  It is called society.  It is called "keeping up with the Jones's".  Call it what you may.  We may not receive lashings, but we receive fines, imprisonment and other consequences.   Actually, some still receive modern-day lashings -- in the form of beatings from law enforcement officers and the like.

Besides...  like most, you seem to be focused on only the physical apsects of slavery.  Not mental.  In today's society, if one does not keep up with all the current petty trends -- clothing, vehicles, housing, technological possessions, etc., they are viewed as inadequate.  As sub standard.  Imagine the impact this has on one's emotions and mental health.  One must continue running on the proverbial rat-wheel to earn money to keep up with all the new exciting trends.  Or they are usually cast aside as inadequate.  Basically, succumb to the superficiality or be thrown under the bus as a loser or as unwanted trash.  "You are not good enough without these objects.  You are inadequate without these things."  It's a mindjob.

And anyway, despite all this awesome advancement and progression, people still slowly decay and die.  People still experience pain, sorrow and depression.  Even with all the pharmaceuticals on the market.  Even with all the advancement.

hflgk
  • hflgk

gtaforums.com

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:09 PM

So what you're saying is that your perception of violence is worse, not that the violence itself is? Isn't that logically akin to claiming that crime is getting worse when the statistics show it better? Seems pretty disingenuous to me.

Armed forces aren't a new phenomenon, either. In fact the number of individuals involved directly in the armed forces in most nations as a proportion of population is reducing.

I believe the violence is worse. In part due to the reasons I gave above. But also due to technology. We have more powerful weapons. Individuals are capable of causing more harm. More weapons are available. Guns are everywhere. The potential for violence is great.

My main point is: we have massive outfits geared toward nothing but war. Massive, technological outfits designed for maximum defense AND offense. Pre-calculated, essentially pre-meditated purveyors of war. Cavemen didn't have that.
So it's a question of what you feel, rather than what the evidence suggests? Isn't that basically just an article of faith? Also, capability is not an indicator of intent or actuality. The great warring states of the modern age have had access to weapons capable of bringing about the demise of humanity yet they've never been used, why is that,? Because a weapon employed for the purposes of deterrence has more strategic value as a deterrent than as a weapon. Even the worst and least competent leaders of the modern age have accepted the sword of Damocles which is highly destructive capability. The more you threaten its use, the more likely you are to be consumed by it.

Bottom line:  These weapons exist.  These outfits designed solely for war exist.  They are larger and more advanced than ever before (according to recorded history).  People dedicate time and money to build and arrange these.  Some people's lifelong careers are in these fields.  Humans are wasting much time, energy and money to build these things.  Humans ARE threatening each other with these things.  Remember Korea?  Remember the supposed biological weapons used overseas not too many weeks ago?  Remember Mr. Kerry's dialogue, which was aired on t.v.?  Recall that the U.S. became involved in these things because others threatened to use and/or did use some of these weapons?  It's a big, ongoing global brawl. And the only real way to deal with this predicament is to compromise America's sovereign status.

hflgk
  • hflgk

gtaforums.com

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:18 PM

Where this argument falls down is that the slave masters go through basically the same education system. If you drop out of that system there's always the danger of becoming an ignorant chav, so it's best to get an education and then make your choices.

Sure.  One can go through the same educational system.  But if that individual has a wealthy family, a wealthy family that just so happens to be established in industry, then that individual could simply graduate high school with the minimum credits and STILL be extremely successful.  They still have access to the wealth.  They are still in the wealthy family.  They still have all the prominent associations.  Yeah, they barely graduated and didn't even take a statistics class, but they are still who they are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users