Ender's Game

4 replies to this topic
WBaker
  • WBaker

Acatalepsis

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:26 AM

I'd like to hear what someone thought about the movie who read the book. I stop reading reviewers who write "I didn't read the book but..." and the rest gave it a lackluster review. It sounds disappointing considering how great the book was.
  • StormerBoy likes this

tubbs51
  • tubbs51

Superbowl 48 Champs! GO SEAHAWKS!!

• Angels of Death MC
  • None

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:39 AM

I'd like to hear what someone thought about the movie who read the book. I stop reading reviewers who write "I didn't read the book but..." and the rest gave it a lackluster review. It sounds disappointing considering how great the book was.

I read the book. The book was wonderful. Such a good read.

The movie.... well i just saw it so its fresh in my mind unfortunatly, it was utter crap. Sooooo much was cut it was ridiculous. Some MAJOR backstories were sliced out and some minor but important character defining moments were sliced out too.

I honestly dont know how people will understand the characters and the interwoven stories of the book when the watch the movie. It did a real disservice to the books and the Ender Saga universe.

Overall i'd give the movie an entire pass. Dont see it at all just read the book unless you already have a Netflix membership when it hits that.

• WBaker likes this

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Zaibatsu
  • Japan

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:04 PM

If the movie was a stand alone thing, that is if the book never existed, it would be considered pretty good. However, the book exists. I also felt they cut out many defining parts, and went through the battle school segment way too quickly. Not much of the drama that actually happened there is shown. I guess they removed a lot of the stuff to make the movie more "family friendly". The giant's drinking game was also shortened a lot, and they ended by going into one of the other books, setting up for a potential sequel.

None of the philosophical arguments that Ender's siblings had either, it's like they didn't even matter. 

You can only go so far with child actor heroes. It just doesn't work in live action, with all the limitations they have to cope with.

It's an alright movie, just forget about the book while you're watching and it'll be alright.

• WBaker likes this

tubbs51
  • tubbs51

Superbowl 48 Champs! GO SEAHAWKS!!

• Angels of Death MC
  • None

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:50 PM

If the movie was a stand alone thing, that is if the book never existed, it would be considered pretty good. However, the book exists. I also felt they cut out many defining parts, and went through the battle school segment way too quickly. Not much of the drama that actually happened there is shown. I guess they removed a lot of the stuff to make the movie more "family friendly". The giant's drinking game was also shortened a lot, and they ended by going into one of the other books, setting up for a potential sequel.

None of the philosophical arguments that Ender's siblings had either, it's like they didn't even matter. 

You can only go so far with child actor heroes. It just doesn't work in live action, with all the limitations they have to cope with.

It's an alright movie, just forget about the book while you're watching and it'll be alright.

Thats the thing though, in the movie it feels rushed through. And honestly it never seemed like Ender fully developed as a character. I went with a couple people who didnt read the book and they were lost through most of the movie.

Crazyeighties
  • Crazyeighties

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:29 AM

I read the book. The book was wonderful. Such a good read.

The movie.... well i just saw it so its fresh in my mind unfortunatly, it was utter crap. Sooooo much was cut it was ridiculous. Some MAJOR backstories were sliced out and some minor but important character defining moments were sliced out too.

I honestly dont know how people will understand the characters and the interwoven stories of the book when the watch the movie. It did a real disservice to the books and the Ender Saga universe.

Overall i'd give the movie an entire pass. Dont see it at all just read the book unless you already have a Netflix membership when it hits that.
simple by reading the book

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users