Photo

Why Having a High Rank Can Suck Ass

243 replies to this topic
GTALegion
  • GTALegion

Leader of the GTAOLegion

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:39 AM

Yes, I'm level 180. No, to get my level I didn't glitch or hack or spam Criminal Records (although that race sure came up enough during my time racing, though I'd often tire of it after one or two races). And yes, once I hit level 140, I glitched enough money to buy a z-type, but that was just to finally round out my racing garage. I'd just saved up over a million and a half for my Entity I  was not eager to do so again so soon so I gave in to temptation.

But I've pretty much played since launch (literally, I took two days off of work to get in as soon as it was available). Being fortunate enough to not have any major problems since, I've earned my share of RP and cash. I usually play about 5-6 hours a day if I have to work, 8-12 if I don't.

If you couldn't tell, I love this game. Some may call me a no-lifer, but I disagree. I spend time with my family, I work, I draw, I do all the things I usually do, except all my other games have been pretty much replaced by this one. Instead of an hour or two of Left 4 Dead 2, an hour or so of Fallout NV, and about the same stretch on Red Dead Redemption, I spend all my gaming time on GTAO. If that's a no-lifer, then most of us gamers are. We're on a forum about a videogame for god sakes.

That said, I learned something today after all that time. No matter how "legit" or whatever you are, if you have a high level, people will always think of you as either a hacker, a cheater, a glitcher, etc. I've been kicked from so many games, been called a no-life-having-loser so often, that all the hard work I put into a game I love has turned against me.

At first, people marvel at my rank when they see it in lobbies, and I feel a slight measure of pride. Then come the comments; "He's probably a hacker." "He probably farmed that one race over and over." "Dude must not have a life." "Kick him."

So now I mostly just play with the friends I made early on. The ones that leveled along with me, or simply watched as my rank rocketed past theirs, yet still want to play with me because we have fun and level doesn't matter.

I digress. My point is, having a high level isn't all that I thought it would be. I get to enjoy the small sense of pride that comes from it for all of about 2 seconds before the name calling and accusations of hacking start flying.

If you're a similar level, and did so more or less legit, do you experience this as well? And for those of you that aren't a high rank, does this make you leery of attaining one?

• Zenzic, Capimeeen, ParanoiaX and 10 others like this

Nipper
  • Nipper

Proud TRiSKULL Leader

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:42 AM

I'm rank 69, and it brings a tear to my eye knowing that one day, probably soon, it will roll past onto 70. :(

• OG Sunny, cityspud, 7csc and 20 others like this

Coyteria
  • Coyteria

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:43 AM

A friend of mine hacked his way to level 1000. He pissed me off by doing that. So I reported his ass.

• Ninja_Gear, jayjay5396, NoSignal666 and 7 others like this

scubadave
  • scubadave

💎 Diamond Club 💎

• Members
  • GoSquared

that post is like a book... so are u for glitching or against?

• Jeone likes this

anticon
  • anticon

Rat

• Members

What's your game time?

MLO_III
  • MLO_III

Honest Cheater

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:46 AM

125 from RR. Still get kicked out of everything. Been freeroamin ever since and am now 131. Finished my grinding a day before the replay patch came out. Still waiting for the average to catch me.

GTALegion
  • GTALegion

Leader of the GTAOLegion

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:51 AM

What's your game time?

Play Time: 9d 23h 50m

TLDR

Reading is hard for some people, I guess.

that post is like a book... so are u for glitching or against?

It's not really about glitching, but I'm mostly against. I still feel guilty for doing it enough to buy my Z-Type, but as i said, I'd just saved up for my Entity and wasn't eager to do so again so soon.

Halver7
  • Halver7

Rat

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:53 AM

Level 129 here. Get it alot. Normally by young sound players, who just have to make comments instead of just shutting the fk up and playing the game.

They are normally the lowest skilled players, so they need to start making excuses before you kill them.

Its good when you get a lobby of older more mature gamers. Makes for a much more skilled game and people just play and enjoy and at the end of the game when you spawn in freemode you just get in your car and drive off instead of getting excited and trying to kill everyone.

• Daviedv likes this

DannyMan
  • DannyMan

Hustler

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:03 AM

Sir are you a rapist????
  • ghostrider135, ImBoss450 and MantisFang like this

Hypertion
  • Hypertion

Prankster

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:03 AM Edited by Hypertion, 04 November 2013 - 05:05 AM.

148, never did Criminal Records glitch but did races with friends for car unlocks.. but that wasn't for RP anyways. have never touched the LSC glitch either...

most of my levels i got in one day playing Rooftop Rumble before most of the patches killed the rewards. from around 30 to apx 114 after a crazy long day of just grinding levels in a mission... since then i have done nothing but w/e i want or feel like doing, mostly random missions as i get them from NPCs or other players. that one day also got me enough money to get what i wanted so i could just have fun.

i dont understand why people instantly think i "glitched" considering i did everything Legit... even Rooftop Rumble....

i have been kicked from quite a few races for no real reason other than my level.... i dont understand why people do this tho as they can easily disable custom vehicles and even then its possible to run into a lvl 10 or so with max engine upgrades....

playing against a player who is 100+ is the least of the problems these paranoid people have...

i have also noticed however that many of my 100+ friends have stopped playing GTA:O already.... going to other games like BF4 and such.

moviezman
  • moviezman

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:04 AM

I feel you man , same happens to me almost every lobby I am in.
I just ignore it and enjoy what I have unlocked with every level.
  • Mpirerocks likes this

Lazysunday88
  • Lazysunday88

Prankster

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:07 AM

Just hit 75 tonight, and I've been playing since a couple days after GTAO launched with no character resets (knock on wood).  I think my rank is right in the "meat" of the online community.  There are lots of players higher and lots of players lower.  Luckily (I guess?) I can only play an hour or two on weeknights, so despite the fact that I ball pretty hard on weekends for 8-12 hours per day, I have a sort of built-in limitation so I can't get "too high".

That said, I understand where you're coming from.  Most lobbies I join have at least a couple players higher than me and generally races have at least one, and I have heard many of the same comments you described being directed at others.  I have never said anything to anyone in regards to rank/level, but I will admit that if they are significantly over rank 100 at this point in time, I do tend to think they probably farmed CR or Down the Drain or did mission replays early on, even though they may play completely legitimately, just a lot more hours than normal.

I get kicked from a lot of races when I try to join a quick race just because people are trying to boost or keep it crew only or who knows and that pisses me off because I did nothing wrong and now I have to go through the clouds to try again.  I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to have another reason for people to kick you.

Perhaps you could start a second character?  If you split time between them it's possible others will catch up to you and your current rank won't be such an outlier in a month or two and while you ranked up on the new one you would have a lot of time before you got to 100 or whatever again.  Money is shared between characters so it might be something to consider.  

• Mpirerocks likes this

MantisFang
  • MantisFang

Undead Insect

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:07 AM

But why did you glitch?

Hypertion
  • Hypertion

Prankster

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:08 AM

Oh i did forget to mention.. i have yet to be kicked from a survival lobby.

• KrazyFace likes this

600noodles
  • 600noodles

Trick

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:09 AM

you shouldnt have to defend yourself against "no life" comments. 

like who the f*ck cares? 

what the fuk do they care if someone likes to play this game for 8 hours a day. 

some people just dont ENJOY the presence of other people. and if someone has a problem with that then they can DEAL WITH IT. 

im level 124 :) (yes i no life this game) 

GTALegion
  • GTALegion

Leader of the GTAOLegion

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:11 AM

Sir are you a rapist????

Only noobs.

Just hit 75 tonight, and I've been playing since a couple days after GTAO launched with no character resets (knock on wood).  I think my rank is right in the "meat" of the online community.  There are lots of players higher and lots of players lower.  Luckily (I guess?) I can only play an hour or two on weeknights, so despite the fact that I ball pretty hard on weekends for 8-12 hours per day, I have a sort of built-in limitation so I can't get "too high".

That said, I understand where you're coming from.  Most lobbies I join have at least a couple players higher than me and generally races have at least one, and I have heard many of the same comments you described being directed at others.  I have never said anything to anyone in regards to rank/level, but I will admit that if they are significantly over rank 100 at this point in time, I do tend to think they probably farmed CR or Down the Drain or did mission replays early on, even though they may play completely legitimately, just a lot more hours than normal.

I get kicked from a lot of races when I try to join a quick race just because people are trying to boost or keep it crew only or who knows and that pisses me off because I did nothing wrong and now I have to go through the clouds to try again.  I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to have another reason for people to kick you.

Perhaps you could start a second character?  If you split time between them it's possible others will catch up to you and your current rank won't be such an outlier in a month or two and while you ranked up on the new one you would have a lot of time before you got to 100 or whatever again.  Money is shared between characters so it might be something to consider.  

I've actually started a new toon just because of this. It seems to alleviate some of it, but whenever someone calls me a noob, I have to bite my tongue so hard I'm worried about dying from bloodloss.

But why did you glitch?

As I said, I'd just finished saving over a million for my Entity, and I only needed a Sports Classic to round out my racing garage. I figured; what the heck, why not? I didn't want to save up over a million again so soon.

DannyMan
  • DannyMan

Hustler

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:13 AM

(yes i no life this game)

bro do you even English
  • GroundZero, GTA Banjo, KaptainMyke and 5 others like this

600noodles
  • 600noodles

Trick

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:14 AM

bro do you even English

wat?

Nipper
  • Nipper

Proud TRiSKULL Leader

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:17 AM

you shouldnt have to defend yourself against "no life" comments. 

like who the f*ck cares? 

what the fuk do they care if someone likes to play this game for 8 hours a day. 

some people just dont ENJOY the presence of other people. and if someone has a problem with that then they can DEAL WITH IT. 

im level 124 :) (yes i no life this game) 

It's called social conditioning.

Blame overall society.

I was brought up to look after my own sh*t, like that say, only ever look into your neighbours court to make sure they have got enough.

Hypertion
  • Hypertion

Prankster

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:17 AM

bro do you even English

wat?

ahem:

(Yes i have no life, so i play this game)

"brother do you even speak English?"

• iEatzNiggletz likes this

Lagful
  • Lagful

Certified Fresh

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:18 AM

Stop caring what other people think so much. You're doing it wrong if your main initiative to progress in online games is to be recognized by the rest of the player base.

• GTA Banjo and Tabula Rasa like this

GTALegion
  • GTALegion

Leader of the GTAOLegion

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:21 AM

Stop caring what other people think so much. You're doing it wrong if your main initiative to progress in online games is to be recognized by the rest of the player base.

I only care because it gets me kicked from games, really. Otherwise, it's water off a duck's back. Sure, I get a little gratification when they ooh and aah at it at first, before going all jellyrage, but it's not my motivator. I don't even focus on level anymore. Why would I? I have everything I want unlocked. It just kind of goes up on it's own. Sure, I grin a bit when I ding, but that's just years of RPG conditioning, I think.

Jolly SWAGman
  • Jolly SWAGman

Has a jumbuck in his tucker bag

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:24 AM Edited by Jolly SWAGman, 04 November 2013 - 05:27 AM.

Your a grown man and you care if strangers on an online game think you play too much. You also get a sense of pride in having levelled your collection of pixels higher than most people. I think these are bigger problem for you

I'd vote you cause your annoying. Do you ask everyone in the lobbies you enter to look upon your glorious level and revel in your greatness?
  • KaptainMyke and OA99 like this

GTALegion
  • GTALegion

Leader of the GTAOLegion

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:30 AM

Your a grown man and you care if strangers on an online game think you play too much. You also get a sense of pride in having levelled your collection of pixels higher than most people. I think these are bigger problem for you

I'd vote you cause your annoying. Do you ask everyone in the lobbies you enter to look upon your glorious level and revel in your greatness?

*You're

See my response above. I don't care about level really anymore. And I'm not overly proud of it.

You, however, sound like the type of person that'd kick me simply for being level 180 and call me a no-lifer.

butternutcherrios
  • butternutcherrios

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:32 AM

bro do you even English

wat?
chicken scratch

Jolly SWAGman
  • Jolly SWAGman

Has a jumbuck in his tucker bag

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:34 AM

*You're

See my response above. I don't care about level really anymore. And I'm not overly proud of it.

You, however, sound like the type of person that'd kick me simply for being level 180 and call me a no-lifer.

Go hose out your sh*t bucket
  • OA99 and Madara1224 like this

GTALegion
  • GTALegion

Leader of the GTAOLegion

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:37 AM

*You're

Go hose out your sh*t bucket

I'll take that as a yes then.
  • GTA Banjo, FirstLadyofGTA, Mac4167 and 3 others like this

JohnMcClainNYPD
  • JohnMcClainNYPD

New York Undercover

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:41 AM

I'm past 100 now. I really like doing the races. I really don't want to rank up any more but the more I race, the more my level keeps going up. 

biggsull
  • biggsull

Foot Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:41 AM

cool_story_bro.png

Hobophobo
  • Hobophobo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:44 AM

I'm rank 136 and I often get remarks like this. I Have 600+ races on my record and that gives you a ton of xp considering over half of them are wins. It sucks but I usually ignore them or agree with them ironically and proceed to kick their ass in a race.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users