Photo

The story is inconsistent.

109 replies to this topic
ColdHearted
  • ColdHearted

Nascar isn't a sport

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:37 AM

That's what happens when you build the game around an old retired family man who lives in a mansion up in Beverley Hills that also likes to play golf and do yoga for fun.

Blame it on yourselves for requesting such a lame character, not R*. I always see sh*t like "I dont wanna play as a ganstuh from da hood, he a hoodrat likE cJay, I wan classy guy who wer suit an live in nice house... not cJay i no can relate to da hood stuffz it gayz, yu guise.

Well there you go, there's your classy white guy from the hills, he's even got his own f*cking family just like in The Sims, so why are you complaining ? This is what you all asked for, STFU and enjoy.

Yeah, how dare they include separate characters and not force you to play as any given one the entire game.

You're right, I wanted to play as an unemployed, uneducated, small time gangster from "dah hood" so I boost my e-gangster super ego and reinforce a stereotype while simultaneously claiming that it doesn't exist. 

Oh and nice use of the word "fa**ot" in that other post of yours. How tolerantly democratic of you. I suppose after you leave these forums you are going to go add magnificent contributions to human literature that compare to great classics like F. Scott Fitzgerald or Philip Dick, or perhaps do something of value in society like help an elderly woman across the street. Perhaps your probation officer can think of something for you to do. 

Do you know what I think? I think you ought to pipe down that motor-mouth of yours before you embarrass yourself anymore, e-thug. 

Michael De Santa FACTS - Unemployed - FACT 2 - High School dropout - FACT 3 - Started out as as a small time gangster, drug dealer whatever - 3 FACTS to make you look like a dickhead in regards to your squeaky clean hero Michael the yoga master.

Also where the f*ck did I say I wanted to play as some small time gangbanger ? Whats with the whole I dont wanna play as some unemployed thug sh*t about it seems like you had some "stuff" you wanted to get off your chest there lil Timmy, I mean how many gangsters and bank robbers do you know of that have jobs and went to Harvard University ? Do they have a how to be a better criminal class now ? All I said is I want more crime less yoga and playing as someone affiliated with some kind of criminal organization, be it mafia, street gang, biker gang, whatever would be necessary for it to work in Rockstars realistic depictions of the criminal underworld.

Onto the second paragraph full of sh*t, "do something of value in society" "help an elderly woman across the street" and insinuating I'm on probation where did all this anger and bullsh*t come from ? And then you have the nerve to call ME the e-thug, really ? Did you take classes on how to be a f*cking hypocrite or are you just a troll ?

Do you know what I think ? You need to shut the f*ck up and think before you speak or else you're gonna get knocked the f*ck out one day for running your mouth.

• UltraGizmo64 likes this

TonyMontanaCDL
  • TonyMontanaCDL

Snitch

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:39 AM

It feels like it has been written by a high school student.

I mean, they create a great introduction and background to the story and then they're off to a good start. Everything is cool and the story flows well. Once they reach the middle of the story, they're struggling to find original ideas but can't wait to finish writing this damn story. The more they advance through it the more the good ideas come rare. So it's non-sense over non-sense and arriving at the end they don't have a f*cking clue on how to conclude this story that has gone downhill. So they come up with the idea of killing all the bad guys in the same mission and boom GTA v is born.

To be quite fair, the storyline in all the games has never been that good, outside the Scarface rip off in Vice City.

This game suffers the same thing IV suffered from an identity crisis. It goes from funny parody like moments to deep serious dialogue that you are supposed to be emotionally invested in.

I don't understand how IV got the praise it gets for it's dialogue. The game was incredibly boring and the story itself was a cheap rip off of something we've seen a hundred times before in crime movies. The drama was very dull, and it felt rushed in times too. Niko is no different than any other immigrant come to America, lives life of crime and becomes corrupted by greed.

If you really think about it, none of the GTA games really had a good storyline. It was just stuff in the background to get you from point A to point B. Only in Vice City did it really feel like you were in control of your own destiny since you were buying up the town and taking it over.

My biggest issue with 5's story wasn't even the story itself. Yes it's crap but the characters are prima donas that do nothing but bitch and moan constantly. Michael and Trevor's drama could have been a complete soap opera, and Franklin is always the one in the middle. It would have been loads more fun if the characters were not such drama kings and could actually get along and all had something in common.

Another thing, this game suffered incredibly hard for not having any mob or cartel presence. The best they could come up with was Martin Madrazo who is the weakest character in the entire game. What made III and LCS so fun was having so many gangs and families in it. Same could be said about San Andreas and Vice City Stories.

• saintsrow likes this

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

''Cool it, assholes''

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:41 AM

Oh boy, Michael wasn't a school dropout, Infact he finished High school and was a State Quarterback, he tried for a career in sports but then he failed in it.

Get your facts straigh, asswipe.

TonyMontanaCDL
  • TonyMontanaCDL

Snitch

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:52 AM Edited by TonyMontanaCDL, 05 November 2013 - 01:55 AM.

Another thing that got me was how they constantly try and humanize these characters. It started with San Andreas and has continued ever since with the rare exception of Toni from LCS and Huang from CW. Toni was a prick that didn't try to hide it, and Huang was a spoiled little punk.

Michael can't just be a burnt out fuse, he has to have a family and all this other bullsh*t to sympathize for him and the choices he made. The whole "I got a family" line got old quick. And the sit downs with the shrink were down right pathetic and laughable when it comes to the ego they gave this guy. Just how much more serious do you want him to be?

It don't just stop there. Trevor, who is the most choatic and psychopathic one, they even had to humanize him and give excuses for him. Oh this is why he's like that, oh him and Michael used to be friends, oh he's a jerk in case you didn't know. What happened to just having characters that were simply criminals without all this humanizing bullsh*t? drug dealers kill each other, thieves rob people, etc etc. I don't give a flying f*ck about their past and why they are bad guys now.

I think people enjoyed Vercetti because he didn't have anything to bitch or moan about, he just got things done and killed anybody in his way and they never tried to humanize him and make him into a do good character.

For a series named after a f*cking felony charge, the protagonist needs to be someone I'm not going to feel sorry for.

• saintsrow and AtomicPunk like this

lizardman563
  • lizardman563

Give your free will a chance, you've got to want to succeed.

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:26 AM Edited by lizardman563, 05 November 2013 - 02:28 AM.

That's what happens when you build the game around an old retired family man who lives in a mansion up in Beverley Hills that also likes to play golf and do yoga for fun.

Blame it on yourselves for requesting such a lame character, not R*. I always see sh*t like "I dont wanna play as a ganstuh from da hood, he a hoodrat likE cJay, I wan classy guy who wer suit an live in nice house... not cJay i no can relate to da hood stuffz it gayz, yu guise.

Well there you go, there's your classy white guy from the hills, he's even got his own f*cking family just like in The Sims, so why are you complaining ? This is what you all asked for, STFU and enjoy.

Yeah, how dare they include separate characters and not force you to play as any given one the entire game.

You're right, I wanted to play as an unemployed, uneducated, small time gangster from "dah hood" so I boost my e-gangster super ego and reinforce a stereotype while simultaneously claiming that it doesn't exist. 

Oh and nice use of the word "fa**ot" in that other post of yours. How tolerantly democratic of you. I suppose after you leave these forums you are going to go add magnificent contributions to human literature that compare to great classics like F. Scott Fitzgerald or Philip Dick, or perhaps do something of value in society like help an elderly woman across the street. Perhaps your probation officer can think of something for you to do. 

Do you know what I think? I think you ought to pipe down that motor-mouth of yours before you embarrass yourself anymore, e-thug. 

Michael De Santa FACTS - Unemployed - FACT 2 - High School dropout - FACT 3 - Started out as as a small time gangster, drug dealer whatever - 3 FACTS to make you look like a dickhead in regards to your squeaky clean hero Michael the yoga master.

Also where the f*ck did I say I wanted to play as some small time gangbanger ? Whats with the whole I dont wanna play as some unemployed thug sh*t about it seems like you had some "stuff" you wanted to get off your chest there lil Timmy, I mean how many gangsters and bank robbers do you know of that have jobs and went to Harvard University ? Do they have a how to be a better criminal class now ? All I said is I want more crime less yoga and playing as someone affiliated with some kind of criminal organization, be it mafia, street gang, biker gang, whatever would be necessary for it to work in Rockstars realistic depictions of the criminal underworld.

Onto the second paragraph full of sh*t, "do something of value in society" "help an elderly woman across the street" and insinuating I'm on probation where did all this anger and bullsh*t come from ? And then you have the nerve to call ME the e-thug, really ? Did you take classes on how to be a f*cking hypocrite or are you just a troll ?

Do you know what I think ? You need to shut the f*ck up and think before you speak or else you're gonna get knocked the f*ck out one day for running your mouth.

There is no need to be upset, sir. 

First, I did not suggest at any point in my comment that I wanted to play as a character that "has a job and went to Harvard University." Though, based on your poor grammar skills, evident egomaniac attitude, and anger induced, rage-filled comments, it seemed pretty apparent to me that what you want in a GTA game is a foolish protagonist whose priorities and intellectual skills match your own. I personally would prefer not to play as a mouth-breather who is incapable of rational thought. Also, It's pretty hilarious that, in the absence of legitimate argument points, you constantly mention the yoga feature (something that the character "Michael" doesn't even enjoy doing) as it is the weak anchor that holds your argument together. Secondly, I did not make any assumptions in my 3rd paragraph, it was pretty obvious to me (and still is) that you are scum and I didn't need validation to assume so. Every angry, discriminatory, vindictive comment you make on this forum helps further my point. Granted, I'm sure you'll probably find a way to portray me as a "racist" or "hateful" even though you are the one who has used an anti-homosexual slur several times on this website and have a discernible hatred for white people. Lastly, I am not too concerned about being "knocked the f*ck out", considering that simpletons like you are generally all bark and no bite, and I always carry whenever I go somewhere. 

Ah yes, and my name is not "little Timmy" though I did laugh out loud when I read that. Whether you are trying to portray me as the stereotypical Caucasian male (Caucasian being something I am not, by the way) to garner support from your fellow closeted racist "e-thug ghetto lyfe" cretins or just trying to stir up emotions, you did a good job of getting me to laugh.

Have you considered a comedic career? 

Zodape
  • Zodape

CABINETS

• The Yardies
  • Argentina

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:09 AM

I just realized that all of you took the story waaaaaaaaaaay too seriously.

ColdHearted
  • ColdHearted

Nascar isn't a sport

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:25 AM

First, I did not suggest at any point in my comment that I wanted to play as a character that "has a job and went to Harvard University." Though, based on your poor grammar skills, evident egomaniac attitude, and anger induced, rage-filled comments, it seemed pretty apparent to me that what you want in a GTA game is a foolish protagonist whose priorities and intellectual skills match your own. I personally would prefer not to play as a mouth-breather who is incapable of rational thought. Also, It's pretty hilarious that, in the absence of legitimate argument points, you constantly mention the yoga feature (something that the character "Michael" doesn't even enjoy doing) as it is the weak anchor that holds your argument together. Secondly, I did not make any assumptions in my 3rd paragraph, it was pretty obvious to me (and still is) that you are scum and I didn't need validation to assume so. Every angry, discriminatory, vindictive comment you make on this forum helps further my point. Granted, I'm sure you'll probably find a way to portray me as a "racist" or "hateful" even though you are the one who has used an anti-homosexual slur several times on this website and have a discernible hatred for white people. Lastly, I am not too concerned about being "knocked the f*ck out", considering that simpletons like you are generally all bark and no bite, and I always carry whenever I go somewhere. 

Ah yes, and my name is not "little Timmy" though I did laugh out loud when I read that. Whether you are trying to portray me as the stereotypical Caucasian male (Caucasian being something I am not, by the way) to garner support from your fellow closeted racist "e-thug ghetto lyfe" cretins or just trying to stir up emotions, you did a good job of getting me to laugh.

You're so full of sh*t sh*t it's unreal, first you sarcastically say "You're right, I wanted to play as an unemployed, uneducated, small time gangster from "dah hood" then you say "First, I did not suggest at any point in my comment that I wanted to play as a character that has a job" you then proceed to spout a load of bullsh*t in an attempt to make yourself look intellectually superior to me thus reducing anything I have or will say to a steaming pile of sh*t, but you're not superior in any way to me so this attempt failed and will continue to do so.

We will now skip the majority of what the Lizardman said as it's nothing but a load of made up fairy tales from his own crazy little mind, and here we will find another contradictory quote from the Lizaardman himself, "I'm sure you'll probably find a way to portray me as a "racist" or "hateful" even though you are the one who has used an anti-homosexual slur several times" this is where the Lizard man shows his inablity to stop running his mouth as he exposes himself as racist and hateful person all by his lonesome and he uses the excuse that I'm homophobic to justify his hatred.

He then accsuses me of having a hatred for the white race because I called him "lil Timmy" not a racial slur just...."lil Timmy" he then goes on to show us how much of a sissy he is by telling me he has no desire whatsoever to fight like a man but instead he'd rather shoot like a bitch.

You've once again proven to be full of sh*t lil Timmy, now go to sleep I think it's past your bed time, we dont want mommy getting all mad now do we lil Timmy ? Night night.

• UltraGizmo64 likes this

lizardman563
  • lizardman563

Give your free will a chance, you've got to want to succeed.

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:38 AM Edited by lizardman563, 05 November 2013 - 03:50 AM.

We will now skip the majority of what the Lizardman said as it's nothing but a load of made up fairy tales from his own crazy little mind, and here we will find another contradictory quote from the Lizaardman himself, "I'm sure you'll probably find a way to portray me as a "racist" or "hateful" even though you are the one who has used an anti-homosexual slur several times" this is where the Lizard man shows his inablity to stop running his mouth as he exposes himself as racist and hateful person all by his lonesome and he uses the excuse that I'm homophobic to justify his hatred.

LMAO!

I haven't laughed that hard in a while. 

No rebuttals, and your insults (which are occasionally acceptable) aren't even classy. You just skipped all of what I said, accused me of racism, a claim brought on by you foolishly misinterpreting my comment, and called me a bitch. 

LOL.

Seriously dude, consider being a comedian. You'd be great at it. While you're at it, try expanding your vocabulary a little. You are using alot of fillers and it doesn't make you look good. It's just a friendly tip.

ButtonSmasher
  • ButtonSmasher

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:41 AM

I mean, they create a great introduction and background to the story and then they're off to a good start. Everything is cool and the story flows well. Once they reach the middle of the story, they're struggling to find original ideas but can't wait to finish writing this damn story. The more they advance through it the more the good ideas come rare. So it's non-sense over non-sense and arriving at the end they don't have a f*cking clue on how to conclude this story that has gone downhill. So they come up with the idea of killing all the bad guys in the same mission and boom GTA v is born.

:^: Good synopsis of the GTAV storyline. 

Very good indeed! However, you are about to be raped by the fanboys with things like: "This is the best story ever told ina GTA, yo" OR: "You're just a little kid. That's why you don't get it"

This is the best story ever told ina GTA, yo. You're just a little kid. That's why you don't get it :3

AtomicPunk
  • AtomicPunk

I'm your huckleberry

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:05 AM

:^: Good synopsis of the GTAV storyline. 

Very good indeed! However, you are about to be raped by the fanboys with things like: "This is the best story ever told ina GTA, yo" OR: "You're just a little kid. That's why you don't get it"

This is the best story ever told ina GTA, yo. You're just a little kid. That's why you don't get it :3

Sure. I get it. I get it real good, yo G.

shadyslady
  • shadyslady

I've never been popular - I don't mean to start now

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:23 AM

I enjoyed GTA V's story right to the point after Trevor's intro. That was intense...but everything that followed didn't impress me. An overkill of The Lost Mc, Merryweather, IAA and Fib. It bored me. I wish it would have been suspenseful
  • Official General likes this

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Gangsta

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:36 AM

Another thing that got me was how they constantly try and humanize these characters. It started with San Andreas and has continued ever since with the rare exception of Toni from LCS and Huang from CW. Toni was a prick that didn't try to hide it, and Huang was a spoiled little punk.

Michael can't just be a burnt out fuse, he has to have a family and all this other bullsh*t to sympathize for him and the choices he made. The whole "I got a family" line got old quick. And the sit downs with the shrink were down right pathetic and laughable when it comes to the ego they gave this guy. Just how much more serious do you want him to be?

It don't just stop there. Trevor, who is the most choatic and psychopathic one, they even had to humanize him and give excuses for him. Oh this is why he's like that, oh him and Michael used to be friends, oh he's a jerk in case you didn't know. What happened to just having characters that were simply criminals without all this humanizing bullsh*t? drug dealers kill each other, thieves rob people, etc etc. I don't give a flying f*ck about their past and why they are bad guys now.

I think people enjoyed Vercetti because he didn't have anything to bitch or moan about, he just got things done and killed anybody in his way and they never tried to humanize him and make him into a do good character.

For a series named after a f*cking felony charge, the protagonist needs to be someone I'm not going to feel sorry for.

If you're looking for a game with no plot worth a damn and unrelatable characters then maybe Saints Row would be more to your liking.  It was fairly clear from GTA IV and RDR that Rockstar's games were going to contain more complex characters and be more plot driven than previous games.  So it's slightly irrational to get angry that their latest game doesn't have a generic plot and characters.

Pepperjack
  • Pepperjack

Reasonably

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:38 AM

Blanket statement with no examples or ideas.

Well done.

Let me try... potatoes are starchy.  Discuss.

Don't mind it

TonyMontanaCDL
  • TonyMontanaCDL

Snitch

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:24 AM Edited by TonyMontanaCDL, 05 November 2013 - 09:47 AM.

If you're looking for a game with no plot worth a damn and unrelatable characters then maybe Saints Row would be more to your liking.  It was fairly clear from GTA IV and RDR that Rockstar's games were going to contain more complex characters and be more plot driven than previous games.  So it's slightly irrational to get angry that their latest game doesn't have a generic plot and characters.

Why is it everytime someone says how they feel about the story it's always "go play Saints Row".

For a plot worth a damn, no one plays GTA for a storyline. That's why it's so damn boring when they make these games and center everything around the storyline that feels like a f*cking chore to do.

More complex characters and plot driven games? The plot is pretty much straight forward and the game feels very restricted around it.

In what way were the characters complex? Most the characters were wooden humanized characters that were one dimensional apart from antagonists who had little to no personality whatsoever besides "oh he's the bad guy". Haines and Ross from Red Dead were the same thing. They even gave Michael the same treatment of Marston with the family card.

I didn't like Red Dead's story either, but the difference was there was tons of things to do and have loads of fun playing it without the storyline being the main focus of the game, and despite a wooden storyline, John Marston was more fun to play as than any of the three characters in GTA 5. The missions in Red Dead were far more fun too might I add.

Ola441
  • Ola441

Hustler

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:11 PM

By the way, WHO WAS THE MAIN ANTAGONIST!?!?

Exactly. The character build up really was just awful. Everyone felt forced, especially through the protagonists perceptions.
Take a dynamic like Vlad and Dimitri with Niko. They give off their negative auras at the beginning of the story, reasons for the player to hate them. Niko exhibits a negative attitude toward them, as the player would.
Now Madrazo and Michael. The guy goes to Michael's house, beats him with a baseball bat, has his trash goomar spit on him, and then Michael goes to fetch him some money. Okay, Michael's being a submissive little pussy to this guy we're clearly meant to hate, something's gonna develop, right?

Okay, Michael and Trevor are in Madrazo's house. Trevor's giving off a negative response to him, but Michael's still being a little whimpering dog. What now? We're gonna run missions for him? Michael's gonna defend the man when Trevor insults him?

OKAY, NOW Trevor took Madrazo's wife. Are we gonna kill her? Ransom her? Madrazo's sending guys out to kill us. NOPE. WE'RE GONNA GIVE HER BACK! No consequences to us, no consequences to Madrazo. What did we get out of this? Some love relationship between Trevor and Patricia that's gimmicky and we're supposed to find funny? Bullsh*t.
You could argue it's more "realistic" to submit to the Mexican drug lord, but this is a game, it's fictional. There are tons of moments of unrealistic events we just take because it's a Grand Theft Auto game. How come I can kill several hundred cops and just sleep in my bed to be acquitted of my charges? It's a game. Give the player when they want. Let us kill f*cking Madrazo, who's an irritating, greedy, domineering asshole that they make you run missions for in multiplayer. Or hell, let Madrazo kill Michael, give ONE of the characters some consistency.

V ENDING SPOILERS V
What about ending C? "We're taking heat from every authority on the gang and federal level. Let's just KILL EVERYONE! Oh, we gotta make it a triangle. Uhhhh ,Stretch appeared in two missions and was kind of a dick to Franklin, obviously as much of a bad guy as Haynes. Let's KILL HIM! HE'S EQUALLY A BAD GUY! Then there's the Chinese boss, also appearing in a mission or two with no real personal connection to anyone except having been pissed off by Trevor's business practices. Gotta kill him too! What about Weston? They ULTIMATE FINAL BAD GUY BOSS! He was introduced toward the end and screwed the trio out of a few car payments. Let's make him THE CINEMATIC FINAL BOSS!"
If anyone, Haynes, should have been the only antagonist. He was introduced earlier, he was a dick to Michael, and Michael was a dick to him. Sorta like Niko and Dimitri. Or it could have been a more interesting "harmonious to bad" relationship. Like Dave could have betrayed Michael instead. Like Sonny and Tommy. Billy and Johnny. Big Smoke and CJ. Hell, even Niko was apprenticed to Dimitri early and, and sympathized with him.

R* was too ambitious with the character-switch dynamic. It could have worked, if they implemented it correctly. If they valued stories over the cheap switching gimmick, the story would just have been about Michael. He was a new character, breaking away from Claude's, Tommy's, CJ's, Vic's, Niko's, Luis's, and Franklin's f*cking "breaking out of the neighborhood/rags-to-riches" story. He was a different section of the criminal underworld, not mobster Tony, hired-killer Niko, biker Johnny, gang-banger CJ, he was new and interesting. The whole game had the bank robbery niche, yet it didn't make much sense that Franklin and Trevor were stealing millions just to continue to wear their backwards Families ballcaps and piss and bloodsoaked t-shirts. 

Uggggggghhhh... hopefully they redeem themselves in a DLC or in a next sub-game, like the Stories or Episodes style games.
Spot on. Because I took the story slowly I started to forget who was who. At least, I was pretending to myself that that was the reason. The reality was that I just didn't care.
One of the biggest 'WTF' moments I had in the game was the mission where you
Spoiler
. I knew what was supposed to be going on, but I didn't understand why it was happening like it was.
Literally my response to this mission (amongst many others):

epic-jackie-chan-template.png

Michael all of sudden decides that he's a movie producer and next minute he is passionate enough to kidnap actors, and chase ladies all the way across the map while fighting cops, then it turned out the movie was all digital and backed up. I was like thanks rockstar...

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:25 PM

I really can't work out if this describes the story of GTA V or your post. 

Started with intent and purpose, then faded into a mish mash of nothingness. 

ColePhelps27
  • ColePhelps27

Prankster

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:55 PM

Agreed. The last part was rushed, and it was too short. 

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:08 PM Edited by Official General, 05 November 2013 - 05:10 PM.

@ Coldhearted

All I said is I want more crime less yoga and playing as someone affiliated with some kind of criminal organization, be it mafia, street gang, biker gang, whatever would be necessary for it to work in Rockstars realistic depictions of the criminal underworld.

Once again, you hit the nail on the head brother. This was pretty much what I wanted to see a lot of in GTA V, alongside the so-called, main theme of heists. I cannot get my head over the fact that Rockstar thought of bullsh*t like yoga instead if drug-dealing and gang wars !!

@ RandomNoun

One of the biggest 'WTF' moments I had in the game was the mission where you chase the woman around the airport. I knew what was supposed to be going on, but I didn't understand why it was happening like it was.

Me too man. I was like, the the f**k is that all about ?? It was kind crazy and fun, but it just did not make sense. 

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:23 PM

By the way, WHO WAS THE MAIN ANTAGONIST!?!?

Exactly. The character build up really was just awful. Everyone felt forced, especially through the protagonists perceptions.
Take a dynamic like Vlad and Dimitri with Niko. They give off their negative auras at the beginning of the story, reasons for the player to hate them. Niko exhibits a negative attitude toward them, as the player would.
Now Madrazo and Michael. The guy goes to Michael's house, beats him with a baseball bat, has his trash goomar spit on him, and then Michael goes to fetch him some money. Okay, Michael's being a submissive little pussy to this guy we're clearly meant to hate, something's gonna develop, right?

Okay, Michael and Trevor are in Madrazo's house. Trevor's giving off a negative response to him, but Michael's still being a little whimpering dog. What now? We're gonna run missions for him? Michael's gonna defend the man when Trevor insults him?

OKAY, NOW Trevor took Madrazo's wife. Are we gonna kill her? Ransom her? Madrazo's sending guys out to kill us. NOPE. WE'RE GONNA GIVE HER BACK! No consequences to us, no consequences to Madrazo. What did we get out of this? Some love relationship between Trevor and Patricia that's gimmicky and we're supposed to find funny? Bullsh*t.
You could argue it's more "realistic" to submit to the Mexican drug lord, but this is a game, it's fictional. There are tons of moments of unrealistic events we just take because it's a Grand Theft Auto game. How come I can kill several hundred cops and just sleep in my bed to be acquitted of my charges? It's a game. Give the player when they want. Let us kill f*cking Madrazo, who's an irritating, greedy, domineering asshole that they make you run missions for in multiplayer. Or hell, let Madrazo kill Michael, give ONE of the characters some consistency.

V ENDING SPOILERS V
What about ending C? "We're taking heat from every authority on the gang and federal level. Let's just KILL EVERYONE! Oh, we gotta make it a triangle. Uhhhh ,Stretch appeared in two missions and was kind of a dick to Franklin, obviously as much of a bad guy as Haynes. Let's KILL HIM! HE'S EQUALLY A BAD GUY! Then there's the Chinese boss, also appearing in a mission or two with no real personal connection to anyone except having been pissed off by Trevor's business practices. Gotta kill him too! What about Weston? They ULTIMATE FINAL BAD GUY BOSS! He was introduced toward the end and screwed the trio out of a few car payments. Let's make him THE CINEMATIC FINAL BOSS!"
If anyone, Haynes, should have been the only antagonist. He was introduced earlier, he was a dick to Michael, and Michael was a dick to him. Sorta like Niko and Dimitri. Or it could have been a more interesting "harmonious to bad" relationship. Like Dave could have betrayed Michael instead. Like Sonny and Tommy. Billy and Johnny. Big Smoke and CJ. Hell, even Niko was apprenticed to Dimitri early and, and sympathized with him.

R* was too ambitious with the character-switch dynamic. It could have worked, if they implemented it correctly. If they valued stories over the cheap switching gimmick, the story would just have been about Michael. He was a new character, breaking away from Claude's, Tommy's, CJ's, Vic's, Niko's, Luis's, and Franklin's f*cking "breaking out of the neighborhood/rags-to-riches" story. He was a different section of the criminal underworld, not mobster Tony, hired-killer Niko, biker Johnny, gang-banger CJ, he was new and interesting. The whole game had the bank robbery niche, yet it didn't make much sense that Franklin and Trevor were stealing millions just to continue to wear their backwards Families ballcaps and piss and bloodsoaked t-shirts. 

Uggggggghhhh... hopefully they redeem themselves in a DLC or in a next sub-game, like the Stories or Episodes style games.
Spot on. Because I took the story slowly I started to forget who was who. At least, I was pretending to myself that that was the reason. The reality was that I just didn't care.
One of the biggest 'WTF' moments I had in the game was the mission where you
Spoiler
. I knew what was supposed to be going on, but I didn't understand why it was happening like it was.
Literally my response to this mission (amongst many others):

epic-jackie-chan-template.png

Michael all of sudden decides that he's a movie producer and next minute he is passionate enough to kidnap actors, and chase ladies all the way across the map while fighting cops, then it turned out the movie was all digital and backed up. I was like thanks rockstar...

If you don't understand what that is, you shouldn't even try and review the story. You lack English skills. It's called Irony. That is what Rockstar used in the story to make it complex. Michael wasn't fully sane. He was in the middle. Plus the fact that he was working for his dream producer so his instinct is to listen to him.

ShadowDog94
  • ShadowDog94

Gaming since '94

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:54 PM

GTA has NEVER had a good story. In fact, they are all pretty much variations of one story: start off with nothing and work your way to the top. The story shouldn't be the focus of GTA anyway. The focus should be on improving gameplay and adding more things to do in the open world.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users