The story is inconsistent.

109 replies to this topic
FireBallz21
  • FireBallz21

The Ultimate Question: Doctor Who?

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:12 PM

Can't say better than these people above, so I'll just say this:

- My biggest problem with the story, was that, that GTA f*ck all of you singature feeling missed.

III had it, Claude being a badass

Vice City DEFINITELY had it

SA had more or so

IV also had it, not as good as Vice City tho

• Official General likes this

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:16 PM

It should have been Michael, A Los Santos Vago fro East LS, and a biker from AOD

EXACTLY! Something along these lines. The three niches of the GTA universe are satisfied: The high-class and decidant mobster/organized robber style, the home boi gangbanga urban gang style, and the gritty and brutal back-country biker gang.

The mistake of GTA V was forcing them all to work together. Trevor and Michael hated each other. The whole f*cking game was a Tommy Wiseau style "fuk u mikul u betray me" up until the LAST scene, LITERALLY THE LAST MOMENT when Trevor says "we're killing Weston together, this action makes us best friends again." Franklin was presented in his trailers your ol' "Grove Street Gangsta". How many missions did he go "banging"? Two? Three? How much was Chop used or Lamar seen? How big of a feel did we get from da "hood"? Franklin transformed into Michael, but the game didn't present itself like that. "Look, he's wearing his green hoodies and ballcaps! He's riding a green motorcycle! That's some 'gangsta sh*t, homie'!" But wait. Franklin lived in Vinewood Hills. He used professional grade weapons with multiple attachments (really disappointed in the lack of 'rag-tag street' guns in this game.)

It would have been much more interesting if the protagonists were working against each other, like how Luis was working against Johnny and Niko, but didn't do it on a personal basis, their stories just aligned all Pulp Fiction style. Michael and Franklin could have been like Johnny and Niko. Friends and business partners on the surface, but they unknowingly (or possibly even knowingly) worked against each other. Niko kills Jason, not because it's personal, just because it's business. The same reason Johnny kidnaps Roman.

Consider this proposition for a DLC, set before or after the events of V.

Three characters. An Chinese Mobster from Vice City, a LS born and reared Balla, and a Lost MC prospect from Liberty.

The mobster could tie in all the f*cking story gaps with big-wigs like Madrazzo and the Chinese crime boss. We could see why these people were assholes, and maybe even get to kill them. Just like how Luis killed Bulgarian, bringing justice to an asshole against our original Niko. Give him the nice cars, and some real professional weapons. And hey, maybe integrate some melee combat that DOESN'T SUCK? Give him martial arts skills, keep his violence less away from mass shootouts that accompany dumb, low-tier gangs, and have him go shove some other mobster's foot up his own ass for disrespecting the boss.

The Balla could keep us in the "hood" environment most of the game. It would be very interesting to try to turn our perspectives. Since 2004, it's been "f*ck the Ballas!" Why? Let's try "f*ck the families!" Since Grove Street is "no more", I don't think you'd be pissing off those "cj teh bestitst grov4lyfe" fanboys too much. Give him the rag-tag urban weapons; pipebombs, automatic pistols, sawn-offs, etc. You can throw him into some good urban shootouts.

The last is a Prospect from the Lost MC. A gang just totally SHAT all over. I've made many threads and replies on this. A ton of people bought and loved TLaD. They formed many MCs on the social club in response. And then what? The AoD are completely forgotten about, the Lost are reduced to "dumb mook shooting gallery" status, and Johnny, Terry, and Clay

Spoiler
There were TWO, TWO f*ckING CHOPPERS, in addition to like six rice rockets. And, you can't even wear a leather jacket in GTA:O without gay motherf*cking racing stripes.

So much potential was lost with the Lost. This is southern California. Hells Angels and Mongols are always laying waste to one another. This is San Andreas, the BIRTHPLACE of the AoD. How have they magically disappeared? Can we see a war between The Lost and the AoD? It'd make Blaine County a lot more alive, an area only present in a couple Trevor missions. The Prospect could be given a whole new array of TLaD style choppers. Some back-country hunting rifles and molotovs, and maybe get some f*cking insight as to why

Spoiler
Maybe we could lay waste to TP Enterprises, piss of Trevor royally. It'd be fun to stick it to such an unlikable character.

They could all integrate. The mobster could contract the Balla to do some grunt dirty work against Madrazo, but then Madrazo hires the biker to kill some Ballas. I don't know, if the friend dynamic wasn't so forced, I could see this working. It'd be a much better and diverse game than the wreck GTA V was.

• Deadly Target and Shah Sam like this

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:18 PM

This whole game catered to the (unfortunately the majority) San Andreas fan-base. Characters, plot, story, and atmosphere don't matter. Players just wanna roleplay as "gangstas", and run around shooting people while wearing a dress as Trevor.

They also over-hyped their dumb novelties in the trailers; heists, repelling, submarines, character switching, SCUBA diving, planes, Chop, etc. All great features that didn't realize their potential. It was also interesting that like the trailers centered around the execution of EVERY heist in the game except the U.D.

And, the CoD approach. "Here's your brief, slipshod campaign. It doesn't really matter because we made you multiplayer. It's really broken and content-lacking, but we're releasing a ton of DLC, so no worries."

This story really was pathetic. Rockstar has exhibited their unique ability in the past to deliver an AMAZING story with dynamic and memorable characters but ALSO incorporating fantastic  tight gameplay in beautiful landscapes. GTA III, Vice City, GTA IV, L.A. Noire, Max Payne 3, RED DEAD FREAKIN' REDEMPTION!

I don't know why they sacrificed all those elements for a gameplay experience that wasn't even that memorable. At least when they threw story and believability out the window in San Andreas, we got to steal top secret ooze for hippies using military jetpacks.

What the hell was exciting or memorable about this game? Franklin's incessant bitching? Trevor's crass and unfunny humor of just bullying a lot of likable characters into getting what he wants?

Spoiler

Even the limited heists, in my opinion, were pretty lack-luster. Up until the very finale where you essentially walk in and walk out with the loot.... I don't know why GTA fans are so down on Saint's Row if they herald dumb novelties and gags so much.

People cried and moaned about GTA IV being "too gritty". Guess what. That's believable reality. That made for a FANTASTIC story, and sh*t, GTA IV and its episodes were fun as hell. We need a GTA V DLC that's the style of Niko or Johnny's story. I was very disappointed with this over-hyped wreck of a game.

The game catered to boring bitches like you that fell in love with the hypocritical, serial hotdog eating, bowling fanatic Niko Belic and his depressing boring ass story. WTF was "gangsta" about GTA V ? Since when did Trevor running around in a dress like a little fa**ot = San Andreas ? You're full of sh*t.

Oh yeah, f*ck Jhonny Klebitz, I bet you cried like a f*cking little dick bitch when your virtual idol got f*cking owned like the little f*cking sissyboy that he was.

Saint's Row seems more your speed. Sorry I insulted your god, CJ.

Dope_0110
  • Dope_0110

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:25 PM

It should have been Michael, A Los Santos Vago fro East LS, and a biker from AOD

EXACTLY! Something along these lines. The three niches of the GTA universe are satisfied: The high-class and decidant mobster/organized robber style, the home boi gangbanga urban gang style, and the gritty and brutal back-country biker gang.

The mistake of GTA V was forcing them all to work together. Trevor and Michael hated each other. The whole f*cking game was a Tommy Wiseau style "fuk u mikul u betray me" up until the LAST scene, LITERALLY THE LAST MOMENT when Trevor says "we're killing Weston together, this action makes us best friends again." Franklin was presented in his trailers your ol' "Grove Street Gangsta". How many missions did he go "banging"? Two? Three? How much was Chop used or Lamar seen? How big of a feel did we get from da "hood"? Franklin transformed into Michael, but the game didn't present itself like that. "Look, he's wearing his green hoodies and ballcaps! He's riding a green motorcycle! That's some 'gangsta sh*t, homie'!" But wait. Franklin lived in Vinewood Hills. He used professional grade weapons with multiple attachments (really disappointed in the lack of 'rag-tag street' guns in this game.)

It would have been much more interesting if the protagonists were working against each other, like how Luis was working against Johnny and Niko, but didn't do it on a personal basis, their stories just aligned all Pulp Fiction style. Michael and Franklin could have been like Johnny and Niko. Friends and business partners on the surface, but they unknowingly (or possibly even knowingly) worked against each other. Niko kills Jason, not because it's personal, just because it's business. The same reason Johnny kidnaps Roman.

Consider this proposition for a DLC, set before or after the events of V.

Three characters. An Chinese Mobster from Vice City, a LS born and reared Balla, and a Lost MC prospect from Liberty.

The mobster could tie in all the f*cking story gaps with big-wigs like Madrazzo and the Chinese crime boss. We could see why these people were assholes, and maybe even get to kill them. Just like how Luis killed Bulgarian, bringing justice to an asshole against our original Niko. Give him the nice cars, and some real professional weapons. And hey, maybe integrate some melee combat that DOESN'T SUCK? Give him martial arts skills, keep his violence less away from mass shootouts that accompany dumb, low-tier gangs, and have him go shove some other mobster's foot up his own ass for disrespecting the boss.

The Balla could keep us in the "hood" environment most of the game. It would be very interesting to try to turn our perspectives. Since 2004, it's been "f*ck the Ballas!" Why? Let's try "f*ck the families!" Since Grove Street is "no more", I don't think you'd be pissing off those "cj teh bestitst grov4lyfe" fanboys too much. Give him the rag-tag urban weapons; pipebombs, automatic pistols, sawn-offs, etc. You can throw him into some good urban shootouts.

The last is a Prospect from the Lost MC. A gang just totally SHAT all over. I've made many threads and replies on this. A ton of people bought and loved TLaD. They formed many MCs on the social club in response. And then what? The AoD are completely forgotten about, the Lost are reduced to "dumb mook shooting gallery" status, and Johnny, Terry, and Clay

Spoiler
There were TWO, TWO f*ckING CHOPPERS, in addition to like six rice rockets. And, you can't even wear a leather jacket in GTA:O without gay motherf*cking racing stripes.

So much potential was lost with the Lost. This is southern California. Hells Angels and Mongols are always laying waste to one another. This is San Andreas, the BIRTHPLACE of the AoD. How have they magically disappeared? Can we see a war between The Lost and the AoD? It'd make Blaine County a lot more alive, an area only present in a couple Trevor missions. The Prospect could be given a whole new array of TLaD style choppers. Some back-country hunting rifles and molotovs, and maybe get some f*cking insight as to why

Spoiler
Maybe we could lay waste to TP Enterprises, piss of Trevor royally. It'd be fun to stick it to such an unlikable character.

They could all integrate. The mobster could contract the Balla to do some grunt dirty work against Madrazo, but then Madrazo hires the biker to kill some Ballas. I don't know, if the friend dynamic wasn't so forced, I could see this working. It'd be a much better and diverse game than the wreck GTA V was.

Because you want to gangbang?

You clearly did not understand Michael and Trevor's relationship at all. They don't hate each other. Trevor loves Michael as his best friend. He holds him in very high regard. He just can't verbalize it as a result of his sociopathy, but he can never hurt Michael either and would probably give his life for him.

Franklin is NOT CJ, he DOESN'T WANT TO GANG BANG and Rockstart never said this was a CJ part 2: The Return of Brainless Gangsters story. Franklin is a man who knew there is much more to life and much more money to be made outside of the hood and had nothing to keep him there. The only thing that even remotely holds him back is Lamar's stupid ass. And each time he had to save Lamar's ass reminded him of why he wanted to get away from all that bullsh*t.

• Shah Sam and J DawgMillenium like this

Killerzone121
  • Killerzone121

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:29 PM

It feels like this story was written by a lazy 12 year old. Seriously? So Martin Madrazo, a dude known for being a fierce and fuc*ing asshole lets Trevor cut off his ear, and take his wife and he does nothing? When Trevs originally comes to Los Santos, he hates Michael and wants something but forgets and they are fine with each other until they get into a fight over whether Trevor was a hipster or not?We're supposed to hate Stretch(Who we only see in 2 missions), Wei Chang(For not doing a deal with Trevs, which actually made Trevs look like an as*hole), Devin Westin who didnt even show up until near the end and Haines who I really didnt care about. Are we supposed to feel anything for any of the protagonists? Michael, whos depressed cause hes rich? Trevor, who I actually disliked more than any of the antags, and Franklin, who we hardly know about? Are we supposed to like Trevor, who kills innocent people and is a nutjob? Such a BS story

• NinjaWJ and Shah Sam like this

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

Dime store angel of death

• Members
  • None
  • Best Story/Poem 2015 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:45 PM

That's what happens when you build the game around an old retired family man who lives in a mansion up in Beverley Hills that also likes to play golf and do yoga for fun.

Blame it on yourselves for requesting such a lame character, not R*. I always see sh*t like "I dont wanna play as a ganstuh from da hood, he a hoodrat likE cJay, I wan classy guy who wer suit an live in nice house... not cJay i no can relate to da hood stuffz it gayz, yu guise.

Well there you go, there's your classy white guy from the hills, he's even got his own f*cking family just like in The Sims, so why are you complaining ? This is what you all asked for, STFU and enjoy.

Potentially it could have been innovative, where the rich white guy was both a mission giver and a protag.  That would have been a bold new direction.  And it did kind of go that way for a while, with Michael giving Franklin some missions. 

I don't think that Michael's character had to be lame, and I agree that what should have happened, is that once his plan for a quiet family life got disrupted, Michael should have transformed into the super-competent leaders / mission giver / protag that he was before, a real Neil McCauley type. 

But I think that Rockstar once again, damn them, thinks they are great movie writers and script writers, and they wrote in all of this "inner conflict" bullsh*t to create drama.  Didn't work. 

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Traum - Tagtraum - Am Fenster

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:00 PM

Gameplay wise? It's a good game.

Plot wise, it's awful. Sure, it feels like 'grand theft auto' in the beginning, but by the middle of the game, you feel less like a criminal and more of a corrupt agent's personal hitman
  • ThroatSlasher2 likes this

TheKrigeron
  • TheKrigeron

Prankster

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:06 PM

Yeah, what I really wanted is a story about letting go and seeking forgiveness, Micheal should have been a guy who wants to stop killing and wants to forget about the past, he should also have a french Moustache, I mean COME ON Rockstar, you can make a YOGA minigame but you didn't bother to make a Swarve mustache for Micheal?

Also how come Trevor obeyed to the FIB? -I mean it's not like he has been telling Micheal to revolt during the entirety of the story, and was just doing the Jobs out of loyalty and Friendhip for Micheal- That's just INCONSISTENT. Now let me Employ a word that I read on some Review like "Lackluster" or "Ludoblagative Discobiscuit" to seem like a smart chap.

/Sarcasm in case someone didn't Realize, yo.

But seriously, a lot of people Need the story and character motivations spelled out to them, and when Rockstar does in the game they are still confused and dismiss it as Incositent or poorly writen. Others just describe what they wanted the story (overall game even) to be and then fault it for not being so, I don't no if I should cry or laugh, but I'm surely laughing.

(BTW, the original post I was going to make was full of insults and swear words but this is a Tamer version you sh*tty f*cktard)

fish61324
  • fish61324

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:07 PM

Blanket statement with no examples or ideas.

Well done.

Let me try... potatoes are starchy.  Discuss.

100% agree with you. The OP gives zero examples of what he is complaining about. Just another kid on here, finding some thing to complain about with GTA V.

• J DawgMillenium likes this

ColdHearted
  • ColdHearted

Nascar isn't a sport

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:14 PM

That's what happens when you build the game around an old retired family man who lives in a mansion up in Beverley Hills that also likes to play golf and do yoga for fun.

Blame it on yourselves for requesting such a lame character, not R*. I always see sh*t like "I dont wanna play as a ganstuh from da hood, he a hoodrat likE cJay, I wan classy guy who wer suit an live in nice house... not cJay i no can relate to da hood stuffz it gayz, yu guise.

Well there you go, there's your classy white guy from the hills, he's even got his own f*cking family just like in The Sims, so why are you complaining ? This is what you all asked for, STFU and enjoy.

Potentially it could have been innovative, where the rich white guy was both a mission giver and a protag.  That would have been a bold new direction.  And it did kind of go that way for a while, with Michael giving Franklin some missions. 

I don't think that Michael's character had to be lame, and I agree that what should have happened, is that once his plan for a quiet family life got disrupted, Michael should have transformed into the super-competent leaders / mission giver / protag that he was before, a real Neil McCauley type. 

But I think that Rockstar once again, damn them, thinks they are great movie writers and script writers, and they wrote in all of this "inner conflict" bullsh*t to create drama.  Didn't work. 

Potentially ? Potentially Franklin could've had an actual story. Potentially Trevor could have been some big time drug pusher AKA a HD version of Huang Lee in CTW. Potentially R* could have put more effort into the trafficking missions instead of making a HD Smugglers Run. Potentially your dick could be bigger but its not.

Fact of the matter is Michael is lame, he's a Sims character, he doesn't belong in GTA, he does yoga, he's a bitch and that's bottom line cuz ColdHearted said so.

• Anzand17 and latigreblue like this

Anzand17
  • Anzand17

V.I.P

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:55 PM

I agree. What I think is possibly the worst part of the story is when Michael is knocked out by the FBI agent, and goes is sent into the morgue. Absoloutely stupid!

Omg i agree so much

AtomicPunk
  • AtomicPunk

I'm your huckleberry

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:01 PM

This whole game catered to the (unfortunately the majority) San Andreas fan-base. Characters, plot, story, and atmosphere don't matter. Players just wanna roleplay as "gangstas", and run around shooting people while wearing a dress as Trevor.

They also over-hyped their dumb novelties in the trailers; heists, repelling, submarines, character switching, SCUBA diving, planes, Chop, etc. All great features that didn't realize their potential. It was also interesting that like the trailers centered around the execution of EVERY heist in the game except the U.D.

And, the CoD approach. "Here's your brief, slipshod campaign. It doesn't really matter because we made you multiplayer. It's really broken and content-lacking, but we're releasing a ton of DLC, so no worries."

This story really was pathetic. Rockstar has exhibited their unique ability in the past to deliver an AMAZING story with dynamic and memorable characters but ALSO incorporating fantastic  tight gameplay in beautiful landscapes. GTA III, Vice City, GTA IV, L.A. Noire, Max Payne 3, RED DEAD FREAKIN' REDEMPTION!

I don't know why they sacrificed all those elements for a gameplay experience that wasn't even that memorable. At least when they threw story and believability out the window in San Andreas, we got to steal top secret ooze for hippies using military jetpacks.

What the hell was exciting or memorable about this game? Franklin's incessant bitching? Trevor's crass and unfunny humor of just bullying a lot of likable characters into getting what he wants?

Spoiler

Even the limited heists, in my opinion, were pretty lack-luster. Up until the very finale where you essentially walk in and walk out with the loot.... I don't know why GTA fans are so down on Saint's Row if they herald dumb novelties and gags so much.

People cried and moaned about GTA IV being "too gritty". Guess what. That's believable reality. That made for a FANTASTIC story, and sh*t, GTA IV and its episodes were fun as hell. We need a GTA V DLC that's the style of Niko or Johnny's story. I was very disappointed with this over-hyped wreck of a game.

The game catered to boring bitches like you that fell in love with the hypocritical, serial hotdog eating, bowling fanatic Niko Belic and his depressing boring ass story. WTF was "gangsta" about GTA V ? Since when did Trevor running around in a dress like a little fa**ot = San Andreas ? You're full of sh*t.

Oh yeah, f*ck Jhonny Klebitz, I bet you cried like a f*cking little dick bitch when your virtual idol got f*cking owned like the little f*cking sissyboy that he was.

Saint's Row seems more your speed. Sorry I insulted your god, CJ.

Oh god not this "lost" and "Johnny Klebi*ch" bullsh*t again. If R* ever brings in another biker gang then it needs to be more believable than the lame...I mean the lost mc. R* saw how thin and lame it was. That's why they remedied it the way they did. Many polls show that TLAD is the least fav DLC by a landslide. I don't think there is any protag that got owned as hard as little Johnny did, and rightfully so. When little boys try to act like a man around real men, the result is always the same. Curb stomp. That was the only thing that I thought R* did right in the story. It's just too bad that we didn't get to set Brucie on fire and throw his ashes in the sewer.

Raavi
  • Raavi

Z

• European-Union
  • Best Moderator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:19 PM

Everything is engaging, interesting and makes sense until Trevor comes in to the picture, after that the game goes to sh*t. 

IceHot100
  • IceHot100

Out of Order

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:20 PM

I pretty much agree with you. The start was solid, it got a bit weak towards the middle and finally the end felt like they just ran out of ideas.

RandomNoun
  • RandomNoun

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:39 PM

There's no real character development, that's the problem. Where did these characters go? We should've seen Michael revert to his former self over the course of the game (transforming from stay-at-home dad to badass), then repent. Franklin's story should have been about getting out of the hood, stepping on all the people close to him, only to end up rich and alone. And Trevor? We needed to see a good side to him; we needed to see why he was the way he is (and not some throw-in about abandonment issues).

As much as people hate him, Trevor was perhaps the character with the most potential for growth. I always assumed we'd see him as the psychopath who would find reasons (through Michael and his family etc.) to forgive (for real reasons), and begin to see himself as the monster that cannot be changed--much like Niko did.

That is the main issue with the storyline. There's very, very little development in the characters. And that's a pretty big deal when it comes to narratives.

kvic
  • kvic

Grand PooBar

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:41 PM

To me it feels cheap just slapped together don't get me wrong it is a OK game but for me at least it won't have the same replay value thet 4 has. And I was really looking forward to the PC version but now I dout I'll buy it ,maybe I shoud have waited for the PC version.

CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:54 PM Edited by CryptReaperDorian, 04 November 2013 - 10:56 PM.

Many GTA games feel like this.  The stories start out great, but they then get lost somehow in the middle (mostly "filler" content to lengthen the game).  Sometimes, this lasts to the end of the game, and then you get an ending that's relatively "meh".  GTA SA is probably the biggest culprit of this, and even GTA IV has a lot of "filler".  However, I can forgive those games more than GTA V.  Why?  Well, I find that both GTA SA and GTA IV has much more likeable characters than GTA V.  Just about everybody in GTA V is annoying, if not a downright asshole (not even a "good" asshole like Dimitri, Vlad, Faustin, or Tenpenny).  The character's are forgettable for the most part.  Also, I hate how most missions don't even pay you.  Hell, you get over 95% of your storyline pay from a single mission.  That just makes that heist feel like a gimmick.  Don't get me wrong.  GTA V is one of the best games I've played this generation, but the story and story missions needed much more work.

RandomNoun
  • RandomNoun

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:00 PM Edited by RandomNoun, 04 November 2013 - 11:01 PM.

However, I can forgive those games more than GTA V.  Why?  Well, I find that both GTA SA and GTA IV has much more likeable characters than GTA V.  Just about everybody in GTA V is annoying, if not a downright asshole (not even a "good" asshole like Dimitri, Vlad, Faustin, or Tenpenny). 

That's a very good point. You nailed something there. I mean, that's part of what made IV so great: you really felt for Niko. Even without the 'choices', you always felt like you were doing someone else's dirty work. Like killing Faustin or Ray. They were bad people, but they weren't that bad. Niko was made to pull that kind of stuff off. And you shared his emotional struggle in killing people who didn't necessarily deserve what they got. Even Dmitri, as much as Niko wanted him dead, you could see he wasn't such a bad guy. You were made to live Niko's frustrating experience of trying to survive in a society that only wanted to use him.

kvic
  • kvic

Grand PooBar

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:04 PM

However, I can forgive those games more than GTA V.  Why?  Well, I find that both GTA SA and GTA IV has much more likeable characters than GTA V.  Just about everybody in GTA V is annoying, if not a downright asshole (not even a "good" asshole like Dimitri, Vlad, Faustin, or Tenpenny). 

That's a very good point. You nailed something there. I mean, that's part of what made IV so great: you really felt for Niko. Even without the 'choices', you always felt like you were doing someone else's dirty work. Like killing Faustin or Ray. They were bad people, but they weren't that bad. Niko was made to pull that kind of stuff off. And you shared his emotional struggle in killing people who didn't necessarily deserve what they got. Even Dmitri, as much as Niko wanted him dead, you could see he wasn't such a bad guy. You were made to live Niko's frustrating experience of trying to survive in a society that only wanted to use him.

This worked because you were one person not three, you were with Niko from the start to the end ,you knew him and his feelings ,with 5 your not with any one person long enough to figure out how they feel.

RandomNoun
  • RandomNoun

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:08 PM

This worked because you were one person not three, you were with Niko from the start to the end ,you knew him and his feelings ,with 5 your not with any one person long enough to figure out how they feel.

The number of characters is irrelevant. That's like saying a book or a film or a TV show that centres on more than one character is watered down.

AtomicPunk
  • AtomicPunk

I'm your huckleberry

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:10 PM

When I first stepped out the door with Franklin, and looked around, for a second it looked like a hood and I was really excited about seeing it open up, but it never did. Then he moves into that boring ass house and there's nothing going on there. I would've rather stayed where I was at. His story was non-existant and he got lost in the background. Michael isn't at all what I was exoecting. I was hoping for some gangster-type of guy, not a Hollyweird yuppie boy. Trevor ruined the game. His voice actor is great and all, but Trevor IS the wrong kind of asshole and he's too racist towards rural people. Then, he cuts off a mob bosses ear and takes his wife, yet, there aren't waves of his guys coming after Trevor? That just killed the whole thing for me, not that it was great to begin with. I just don't understand how R* came up with this story.....and thought it was good!!!! Yes, I am questioning their judement on a lot of things in GTA V.

• NinjaWJ likes this

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:40 PM

I agree with the aspect that it falls apart in the middle, amazing enough the Story of GTAV feels both rushed AND full of filler. And I agree on the story being inconsistent, especially this part regarding Michael and his family, the game is touted as Michael being a family man, yet they're not even present in he story for over TWO-THIRDS of it, and hell, when they do come back, a couple of missions later Michael sends them away again!

And my one biggest complaint. 69 MISSIONS, but it's not even that, sh*t like, "pick up the masks", "pick up some boiler suits" "Collect a car" "Collect another car" "Collect another car" are counted as entire missions! WTF, as if the game isn't short enough already, hell if this was GTA3 or Vice City, those last three separate collect a car missions would have been a single mission set to a timer to actually be challenging and fun to pull off, and would really be harking on the Gone In 60 Seconds vibe, which is f*cking set in LA!

As for Franklin, totally agree, I would have liked to seen more ghetto and hood stuff, I mean, the whole war with the Vagos and Aztecas introduced in like the second mission, GOES NOWHERE, Franklin got his Vinewood Hills crib way too early and just made most things with him feel distant and in the background, at least you got to keep Chop.

• NinjaWJ likes this

Sursion
  • Sursion

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:41 PM

This is the problem with having 3 protagonists. You're basically writing three stories that need to connect to each other. It does 't help that the game has no antagonist. You'd think Madrazo would be, since they set him up so well, but nope. He turns out to be such a not-villain that you don't even kill him in the final mission.

Now, personally, I think the characters were written extremely well and I loved how they changed (Franklin learned to care about other people, Michael restored his family, Trevor forgives Michael and becomes a bit... Saner), but I have to agree. There were quite a few times I was left wondering "Why."

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:44 PM

Potentially ? Potentially Franklin could've had an actual story. Potentially Trevor could have been some big time drug pusher AKA a HD version of Huang Lee in CTW. Potentially R* could have put more effort into the trafficking missions instead of making a HD Smugglers Run. Potentially your dick could be bigger but its not.

Fact of the matter is Michael is lame, he's a Sims character, he doesn't belong in GTA, he does yoga, he's a bitch and that's bottom line cuz ColdHearted said so.

eb6.jpg?1307463786tumblr_mph219uawX1r96x1xo1_400.png

lizardman563
  • lizardman563

Give your free will a chance, you've got to want to succeed.

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:30 AM Edited by lizardman563, 05 November 2013 - 12:31 AM.

Yeah, how dare they include separate characters and not force you to play as any given one the entire game.

You're right, I wanted to play as an unemployed, uneducated, small time gangster from "dah hood" so I boost my e-gangster super ego and reinforce a stereotype while simultaneously claiming that it doesn't exist. 

Oh and nice use of the word "fa**ot" in that other post of yours. How tolerantly democratic of you. I suppose after you leave these forums you are going to go add magnificent contributions to human literature that compare to great classics like F. Scott Fitzgerald or Philip Dick, or perhaps do something of value in society like help an elderly woman across the street. Perhaps your probation officer can think of something for you to do. 

Do you know what I think? I think you ought to pipe down that motor-mouth of yours before you embarrass yourself anymore, e-thug. 

• Cutter De Blanc likes this

bsnooch
  • bsnooch

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:45 AM

Having multiple protagonists is not really a problem in itself (early guy richie movies anyone)?

I thought the biggest missed opportunity in the whole plot was the relationship between Mike and Franklin. It seemed so obvious to develop it through the heist missions where Mike would teach Franklin the ropes and eventually Frank would be "setting up his own jobs" like Mike says when pitches the first heist to F. Instead Franklin is usually just told what to do in each mission and even though in the end he sort of unofficially comes to 'lead' the crew he seems like nothing more than a glorified counselor to keep T and M off of each others throats. I just can't believe they abandoned that whole story arc after the first heist....

Cicero The Great
  • Cicero The Great

Only We can use majestic plural, deal with it

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:12 AM

It feels like it has been written by a high school student.

I mean, they create a great introduction and background to the story and then they're off to a good start. Everything is cool and the story flows well. Once they reach tyhe middle of the story, they're struggling to find original ideas but can't wait to finish writing this damn story. The more they advance through it the more the good ideas come rare. So it's non-sense over non-sense and arriving at the end they don't have a f*cking clue on how to conclude this story that has gone downhill. So they come up with the idea of killing all the bad guys in the same mission and boom GTA v is born.

No, it was written FOR the high school students

The game is oversimplified to appeal the masses, plain and simple

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

''Cool it, assholes''

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:18 AM

S.A was planned to have 3 playable characters, but due to technicall limitations they couldn't. Instead we've got Sir Johnson and the Grove Gang.

Cicero The Great
  • Cicero The Great

Only We can use majestic plural, deal with it

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:24 AM

S.A was planned to have 3 playable characters, but due to technicall limitations they couldn't. Instead we've got Sir Johnson and the Grove Gang.

Yeah, just imagine the fun if We could play as fat ass-smoke and Dick-ryder

SmoothGetaway
  • SmoothGetaway

I got respect for reality

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:29 AM

The story is sort of like if Heat and Cheech and Chongs Up in Smoke f*cked, and had a baby...then that kid grew up and had a love child with a young Donna Summer.

I enjoyed it, but no it didn't really make sense.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users