Photo

The story is inconsistent.

109 replies to this topic
iTruth
  • iTruth

Rat

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:07 PM

I don't think it's inconsistent, but it seems that after hitting that midpoint, they try to rush it a bit too fast, doing a couple of missions out of context.

With this said, I can say that I hated IV's story. After two years of breaks inbetween playing it, one day I managed to reach the final phonecall where you decide who dies, either Roman or the Irish girl, Packie's sister, but since I had seen those endings on youtube, I never even bothered to finish the game, and found myself deleting the save a few weeks later. 

Never even grabbed that game again. I also replayed SA's story a few months ago, and the whole thing derails for me after San Fierro.

V's story is not bad, but it's not great either. VC and VCS are the best for me.

Hooves07
  • Hooves07

Prankster

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:16 PM

I didn't hate it, but it definitely wasn't the best story ever told. It's got no heart (that's how GTA V feels) Cookie cutter rip off of other great or good movies. Weak antagonists don't help either.

• saintsrow likes this

Polish_Trucker
  • Polish_Trucker

It's the Hoff, I've been on this beach since Baywatch

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:42 PM

Eh, I liked GTA V's storyline however, it didn't grab me as much as GTA IV's storyline did.

You could feel every single emotion through out IV but with V, it doesn't have that much power. Also, I feel the V storyline was a bit.. too fast all of a sudden; like one minute you're repossessing a bike/SUV then the next minute, you're onto heists and before you know it, the storyline is over.

Backfire6
  • Backfire6

༼ຈل͜ຈ༽

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:56 PM

Blanket statement with no examples or ideas.

Well done.

Let me try... potatoes are starchy.  Discuss.

This and only this.

gtarules_95
  • gtarules_95

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:08 PM

it was surely the worst story of all gta games

no good antagonist, no real criminal stuff like in previous GTA's 

we were just the bitches of the FIB (especially for Trevor that sh*t didnt make any sense whatsoever)

GTA IV's story was much better and also the stories of San Andreas and Vice City were really good

I dont know what happened to Rockstar it seems they didnt give a f*ck about the story and just used it to promote their online sh*t

• RolfStarGames and Drunken Cowboy like this

ColdHearted
  • ColdHearted

Nascar isn't a sport

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:04 PM

That's what happens when you build the game around an old retired family man who lives in a mansion up in Beverley Hills that also likes to play golf and do yoga for fun.

Blame it on yourselves for requesting such a lame character, not R*. I always see sh*t like "I dont wanna play as a ganstuh from da hood, he a hoodrat likE cJay, I wan classy guy who wer suit an live in nice house... not cJay i no can relate to da hood stuffz it gayz, yu guise.

Well there you go, there's your classy white guy from the hills, he's even got his own f*cking family just like in The Sims, so why are you complaining ? This is what you all asked for, STFU and enjoy.

• Official General, latigreblue and JustOneMonth like this

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:15 PM Edited by Official General, 04 November 2013 - 06:16 PM.

That's what happens when you build the game around an old retired family man who lives in a mansion up in Beverley Hills that also likes to play golf and do yoga for fun.

Blame it on yourselves for requesting such a lame character, not R*. I always see sh*t like "I dont wanna play as a ganstuh from da hood, he a hoodrat likE cJay, I wan classy guy who wer suit an live in nice house... not cJay i no can relate to da hood stuffz it gayz, yu guise.

Well there you go, there's your classy white guy from the hills, he's even got his own f*cking family just like in The Sims, so why are you complaining ? This is what you all asked for, STFU and enjoy.

LOOOOL !!!!! Bravo !!!!!!  :^:  :^:  :^:  :^:  :^:  :^:  :^:  :cookie:  :cookie:  :cookie:  :cookie:  :cookie:

You spoke the truth right there. So many people were clamoring for this stuff, and they got it. Now look how boring and uninteresting GTA V turned out to be after the storyline and in certain parts of the storyline. Even the gang/hood-haters were wondering why Franklin saw little gang action. I would even have settled for some Mafia story with Michael, even though it's over-used. The family thing with Michael was interesting at first, but in my honest opinion, I just don't think it was a flying success - I don't know, but it just was not the great innovation I expected it to be. 

RandomNoun
  • RandomNoun

Homie

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:31 PM

LOOOOL !!!!! Bravo !!!!!!  :^:  :^:  :^:  :^:  :^:  :^:  :^:  :cookie:  :cookie:  :cookie:  :cookie:  :cookie:

You spoke the truth right there. So many people were clamoring for this stuff, and they got it. Now look how boring and uninteresting GTA V turned out to be after the storyline and in certain parts of the storyline. Even the gang/hood-haters were wondering why Franklin saw little gang action. I would even have settled for some Mafia story with Michael, even though it's over-used. The family thing with Michael was interesting at first, but in my honest opinion, I just don't think it was a flying success - I don't know, but it just was not the great innovation I expected it to be. 

It's not that it was a bad idea at all, it's the general laziness of the writing. Let's try and think of another video game protagonist who was a retired outlaw, trying to live a quiet life with his family, only to be pulled back away from it to account for his past actions ... Hmmm. Anyone?

The story, though initially interesting, was just lacklustre; it didn't fulfil its potential. I disagree with most comments about how bad this game is, and think it's great. But the story was definitely an overall disappointment for me.

Mr_Goldcard
  • Mr_Goldcard

Homie

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:36 PM

It's not that it was a bad idea at all, it's the general laziness of the writing. Let's try and think of another video game protagonist who was a retired outlaw, trying to live a quiet life with his family, only to be pulled back away from it to account for his past actions ... Hmmm. Anyone?

The story, though initially interesting, was just lacklustre; it didn't fulfil its potential. I disagree with most comments about how bad this game is, and think it's great. But the story was definitely an overall disappointment for me.

Red Dead Redemption.

xXGst0395Xx
  • xXGst0395Xx

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:41 PM

While V's story does have it's moments, there have been better GTA storylines in the past. Maybe it's because of trying to focus on three characters at once, I honestly don't know.

RandomNoun
  • RandomNoun

Homie

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:41 PM

Red Dead Redemption.

Haha. Yeah, thanks.

Max Payne 3 isn't too far off either, if you think about it. At the end of the day, Rockstar had no excuse to be so lazy with the storytelling, considering they've done it before.

PaletoChickenCapo
  • PaletoChickenCapo

King of the Forums

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:42 PM

Red Dead Redemption.

Wrong.

He's obviously talking about Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back. 

Mr_Goldcard
  • Mr_Goldcard

Homie

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:44 PM

It should have been Michael, A Los Santos Vago fro East LS, and a biker from AOD
  • Drunken Cowboy likes this

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:45 PM

After the masterpiece IV story was, I expected better. 

Any IV character is far more developed and interesting.

These guys from V are inconsistent. Everytime I see Michael being a c*nt when I load the game looking at people from a high horse, I wonder where the hell that came from.

• Ola441 likes this

Ola441
  • Ola441

Hustler

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:51 PM

I have no problems with the story.  It's certainly a better plot than any previous GTA title in my opinion.  Every previous GTA game was more or less simply about a guy making his way up the criminal ladder.  GTA IV had the addition of Niko's quest for revenge but that story arc felt out of place and uncompelling.

In GTA V I felt that the three character's motivation for taking part in the various missions was clearer and made more sense.  I felt their individual story arcs were more compelling than previous protagonists.  I think Michael is the best protagonist in the series' history.  Him being a family man brings a nice twist to the game.

At the end of the day GTA games are less about plot than they are about steeling cars and shooting people.  I also think the dialogue in GTA V is far better written than in previous GTAs.

I accept the story for what it was but I didn't sit right with me, there was no power play or politics involved, ie killing corrupt police gta sa and gta v, revenge like with Darko or even betrayal like niko girlfriend or big smoke.

Those elements you listed are too contrived for my liking.  I think the reason they had to do those missions for Haines was because they weren't in a position to say no.  They were being blackmailed.  I think Michael's motivations are fairly clear throughout the game.  Franklin wants to get out of the hood and he sees Michael as his ticket.  His reason for getting involved in all the other stuff was a mixture of loyalty and his commitment to whatever journey he was on with Michael.  Trevor is in a similar position to Michael in that once he's back in the picture and known to Dave and Steve then he gets blackmailed too.  I also think that he's loyal to Michael.  That aspect of his character is made pretty clear.

Commitment isnt formed over a day,but thats how it seemed like between Frank and Mike. If they weren't in a position to say no, how did they even get into the position to kill Haines and all of these guys at the end? nothing changed apart from what was in their bank account. Btw it was only Michael that had anything to get black mailed over but it became everyone problem and it seemed forced onto them.

I think Franklin hung around because, as he says, he's getting shot at either way.  Trevor was still a wanted man.  The only reason Trevor was able to avoid being caught all that time was because Dave was the one keeping tabs on him.  With Haines in the picture they all had to play ball.  Aside from that the three protagonists are friends and decide to ride it out.  They thought if they played ball with Haines then they'd be home free in the end.

Trevor as you can tell from the story wasn't even the slightest bit intimidated  by any of the people bullying Michael and with lester on their side, wanted or not didnt matter and about Dave he was kidnapped so easily by Trevor, so tabs or not Trevor was not intimidated by him and he would have not been able to blackmail Trevor. To me the story seemed like Franklin and Trevor had no solid reason to do anything in the game. Trevors own thing with the gangs had a reason, Franklin kidnapping the balla guy had a reason but when you bring three of them together, the characters kinda become "ill just go along with it" because these guys (FIB and co that we could easily overpower) are "forcing" me to.

Yeah the fact they were friends makes them more likely to  have gathered up all their resources, called lester and stuck it to the FIB, Devon, Haines and Madrazo. Doing jobs for these people obviously would not make them go away as we saw with them coming back time after time. I and many other im sure just went along with it because it was the story and sure it brought about tons of cool moments but the reasoning was flawed.

You can even argue that Michael has his family to protect with and that could cover why he bowed down to FIB and the rest but it doesnt even make for a reasonable excuse for a GTA character,

RandomNoun
  • RandomNoun

Homie

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:52 PM Edited by RandomNoun, 04 November 2013 - 06:53 PM.

It should have been Michael, A Los Santos Vago fro East LS, and a biker from AOD

It should have been a story about a man trying to right his past. This is what it purported it to be. Michael should be a character we feel for; he should be a character who knows he's been a bad person and is looking for a way to balance the scales. Meanwhile Trevor, once crossed by him, is pressuring him back into the life, because Michael fears for his family. Franklin, however, is an upcoming criminal, who, seeing his own future reflected in Michael, is torn by the choice of avoiding the same fate or being forever a lowlife gangbanger.

• Ola441 likes this

Mr_Goldcard
  • Mr_Goldcard

Homie

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:57 PM

It should have been a story about a man trying to right his past. This is what it purported it to be. Michael should be a character we feel for; he should be a character who knows he's been a bad person and is looking for a way to balance the scales. Meanwhile Trevor, once crossed by him, is pressuring him back into the life, because Michael fears for his family. Franklin, however, is an upcoming criminal, who, seeing his own future reflected in Michael, is torn by the choice of avoiding the same fate or being forever a lowlife gangbanger.

I think you just described V's storyline.

RandomNoun
  • RandomNoun

Homie

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:03 PM

Nope: V's actual storyline:

An old bank robber suffering from serious ennui decides that having loads of money isn't good enough for him and so he hatches a series of impossible plans to get loads more money to do nothing with but buy expensive vehicles and leave them to get towed away and forget about them. Meanwhile there's his psychopathic friend who lives in a really tiny desert who's the likeable kind of psychopath. And there's also a black guy. They get together and blow loads of things up, pretend they know what they're doing (even when nobody else can make much sense of their motivations), and get away with everything and live like stupidly rich vagabonds for the rest of their lives (presumably).

• JustOneMonth, Ola441 and weirdkerr like this

Ola441
  • Ola441

Hustler

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:11 PM

Nope: V's actual storyline:

An old bank robber suffering from serious ennui decides that having loads of money isn't good enough for him and so he hatches a series of impossible plans to get loads more money to do nothing with but buy expensive vehicles and leave them to get towed away and forget about them. Meanwhile there's his psychopathic friend who lives in a really tiny desert who's the likeable kind of psychopath. And there's also a black guy. They get together and blow loads of things up, pretend they know what they're doing (even when nobody else can make much sense of their motivations), and get away with everything and live like stupidly rich vagabonds for the rest of their lives (presumably).

you are right, your previous one was the intended storyline.

ColdHearted
  • ColdHearted

Nascar isn't a sport

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:14 PM Edited by ColdHearted, 04 November 2013 - 07:15 PM.

Red Dead Redemption.

Oh sh*t how dumb could I be ? Who can forget John Marston the blackbelt in yoga and level 1000 golf master, how stupid could I have been, I apologize for my stupidity.

For those who may not be aware of who John Marston is, he was an extremely fun guy from the early 1900's all he did was sit in his house up in Rockford Hills watching Tv but sometimes he would do yoga or play the puslating game known to most of you as golf, he could also lumber around on a tennis court like he thought he was Frankinstein in a pathetic attempt to play what is today known as tennis, he could also play darts which is one of the most enjoyable and exciting sports in the world today, greatest character of all time for sure, FUNZ.

Who needs crime when you've got yoga ?

RandomNoun
  • RandomNoun

Homie

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:16 PM

Red Dead Redemption.

Oh sh*t how dumb could I be ? Who can forget John Marston the blackbelt in yoga and level 1000 golf master, how stupid could I have been, I apologize for my stupidity.

For those who may not be aware of who John Marston is, he was an extremely fun guy from the early 1900's all he did was sit in his house up in Rockford Hills watching Tv but sometimes he would do yoga or play the puslating game known to most of you as golf, he could also lumber around on a tennis court like he thought he was Frankinstein in a pathetic attempt to play what is today known as tennis, he could also play darts which is one of the most enjoyable and exciting sports in the world today, greatest character of all time for sure, FUNZ.

(Think you missed my point ...)

ColdHearted
  • ColdHearted

Nascar isn't a sport

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:20 PM Edited by ColdHearted, 04 November 2013 - 07:21 PM.

Red Dead Redemption.

f*ck your point, the fact of the matter is Michael is a Sims character who got lost in the GTA world, and this is what you people asked for, like I said before STFU and enjoy.

RandomNoun
  • RandomNoun

Homie

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:22 PM

Red Dead Redemption.

f*ck your point, the fact of the matter is Michael is a Sims character who got lost in the GTA world, and this is what you people asked for, like I said before STFU and enjoy.

You make a solid argument. But I think, unfortunately, you're part of the demographic that Rockstar wants to, carefully, divorce itself from.

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

CHEESY VAGINAS!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:24 PM

This whole game catered to the (unfortunately the majority) San Andreas fan-base. Characters, plot, story, and atmosphere don't matter. Players just wanna roleplay as "gangstas", and run around shooting people while wearing a dress as Trevor.

They also over-hyped their dumb novelties in the trailers; heists, repelling, submarines, character switching, SCUBA diving, planes, Chop, etc. All great features that didn't realize their potential. It was also interesting that like the trailers centered around the execution of EVERY heist in the game except the U.D.

And, the CoD approach. "Here's your brief, slipshod campaign. It doesn't really matter because we made you multiplayer. It's really broken and content-lacking, but we're releasing a ton of DLC, so no worries."

This story really was pathetic. Rockstar has exhibited their unique ability in the past to deliver an AMAZING story with dynamic and memorable characters but ALSO incorporating fantastic  tight gameplay in beautiful landscapes. GTA III, Vice City, GTA IV, L.A. Noire, Max Payne 3, RED DEAD FREAKIN' REDEMPTION!

I don't know why they sacrificed all those elements for a gameplay experience that wasn't even that memorable. At least when they threw story and believability out the window in San Andreas, we got to steal top secret ooze for hippies using military jetpacks.

What the hell was exciting or memorable about this game? Franklin's incessant bitching? Trevor's crass and unfunny humor of just bullying a lot of likable characters into getting what he wants?

Spoiler

Even the limited heists, in my opinion, were pretty lack-luster. Up until the very finale where you essentially walk in and walk out with the loot.... I don't know why GTA fans are so down on Saint's Row if they herald dumb novelties and gags so much.

People cried and moaned about GTA IV being "too gritty". Guess what. That's believable reality. That made for a FANTASTIC story, and sh*t, GTA IV and its episodes were fun as hell. We need a GTA V DLC that's the style of Niko or Johnny's story. I was very disappointed with this over-hyped wreck of a game.

• ThroatSlasher2 likes this

Ola441
  • Ola441

Hustler

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:28 PM

This whole game catered to the (unfortunately the majority) San Andreas fan-base. Characters, plot, story, and atmosphere don't matter. Players just wanna roleplay as "gangstas", and run around shooting people while wearing a dress as Trevor.

They also over-hyped their dumb novelties in the trailers; heists, repelling, submarines, character switching, SCUBA diving, planes, Chop, etc. All great features that didn't realize their potential. It was also interesting that like the trailers centered around the execution of EVERY heist in the game except the U.D.

And, the CoD approach. "Here's your brief, slipshod campaign. It doesn't really matter because we made you multiplayer. It's really broken and content-lacking, but we're releasing a ton of DLC, so no worries."

This story really was pathetic. Rockstar has exhibited their unique ability in the past to deliver an AMAZING story with dynamic and memorable characters but ALSO incorporating fantastic  tight gameplay in beautiful landscapes. GTA III, Vice City, GTA IV, L.A. Noire, Max Payne 3, RED DEAD FREAKIN' REDEMPTION!

I don't know why they sacrificed all those elements for a gameplay experience that wasn't even that memorable. At least when they threw story and believability out the window in San Andreas, we got to steal top secret ooze for hippies using military jetpacks.

What the hell was exciting or memorable about this game? Franklin's incessant bitching? Trevor's crass and unfunny humor of just bullying a lot of likable characters into getting what he wants?

Spoiler

Even the limited heists, in my opinion, were pretty lack-luster. Up until the very finale where you essentially walk in and walk out with the loot.... I don't know why GTA fans are so down on Saint's Row if they herald dumb novelties and gags so much.

People cried and moaned about GTA IV being "too gritty". Guess what. That's believable reality. That made for a FANTASTIC story, and sh*t, GTA IV and its episodes were fun as hell. We need a GTA V DLC that's the style of Niko or Johnny's story. I was very disappointed with this over-hyped wreck of a game.

The story was flawed but you cant knock the heists, it wasn't just walk in and walk out with the money lol..You cant exaggerate like that. They were very fun and im 21 btw not a kid.

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

dat was mad tekkers bruh

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:30 PM

That's what happens when people complain IV had too many missions. They remove missions, and that gives you a weaker storyline.

I think the story is consistent up until Devin Weston and Solomon are introduced. Who the f*ck are these guys? I'm just randomly delivering something to him, and I've never met him. And then he tells me I can work for Solomon. Who the f*ck is he?

The antagonists were weak. I never felt pissed off when Devin didn't pay Franklin for taking the cars. I didn't want money, I already had millions and nothing to spend it on. Games like MCLA and GT5 have much better economies. In GT5 I have millions, but I still want money to buy expensive cars, which there are a lot of. Sucks you can't do that in V, since with 30 million which you know you'll get, you can buy every car. Online has a weak economy too. My garage is full, I have a tank and buzzard, wtf do I buy now? I'd LOVE to buy extra garages and more cars, but nope. R* suck at economies.

So yeah, the story's weakness is actually also affected by the gameplay.
  • StingrayX likes this

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

CHEESY VAGINAS!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:42 PM

By the way, WHO WAS THE MAIN ANTAGONIST!?!?

Exactly. The character build up really was just awful. Everyone felt forced, especially through the protagonists perceptions.

Take a dynamic like Vlad and Dimitri with Niko. They give off their negative auras at the beginning of the story, reasons for the player to hate them. Niko exhibits a negative attitude toward them, as the player would.

Now Madrazo and Michael. The guy goes to Michael's house, beats him with a baseball bat, has his trash goomar spit on him, and then Michael goes to fetch him some money. Okay, Michael's being a submissive little pussy to this guy we're clearly meant to hate, something's gonna develop, right?

Okay, Michael and Trevor are in Madrazo's house. Trevor's giving off a negative response to him, but Michael's still being a little whimpering dog. What now? We're gonna run missions for him? Michael's gonna defend the man when Trevor insults him?

OKAY, NOW Trevor took Madrazo's wife. Are we gonna kill her? Ransom her? Madrazo's sending guys out to kill us. NOPE. WE'RE GONNA GIVE HER BACK! No consequences to us, no consequences to Madrazo. What did we get out of this? Some love relationship between Trevor and Patricia that's gimmicky and we're supposed to find funny? Bullsh*t.

You could argue it's more "realistic" to submit to the Mexican drug lord, but this is a game, it's fictional. There are tons of moments of unrealistic events we just take because it's a Grand Theft Auto game. How come I can kill several hundred cops and just sleep in my bed to be acquitted of my charges? It's a game. Give the player when they want. Let us kill f*cking Madrazo, who's an irritating, greedy, domineering asshole that they make you run missions for in multiplayer. Or hell, let Madrazo kill Michael, give ONE of the characters some consistency.

V ENDING SPOILERS V

What about ending C? "We're taking heat from every authority on the gang and federal level. Let's just KILL EVERYONE! Oh, we gotta make it a triangle. Uhhhh ,Stretch appeared in two missions and was kind of a dick to Franklin, obviously as much of a bad guy as Haynes. Let's KILL HIM! HE'S EQUALLY A BAD GUY! Then there's the Chinese boss, also appearing in a mission or two with no real personal connection to anyone except having been pissed off by Trevor's business practices. Gotta kill him too! What about Weston? They ULTIMATE FINAL BAD GUY BOSS! He was introduced toward the end and screwed the trio out of a few car payments. Let's make him THE CINEMATIC FINAL BOSS!"

If anyone, Haynes, should have been the only antagonist. He was introduced earlier, he was a dick to Michael, and Michael was a dick to him. Sorta like Niko and Dimitri. Or it could have been a more interesting "harmonious to bad" relationship. Like Dave could have betrayed Michael instead. Like Sonny and Tommy. Billy and Johnny. Big Smoke and CJ. Hell, even Niko was apprenticed to Dimitri early and, and sympathized with him.

R* was too ambitious with the character-switch dynamic. It could have worked, if they implemented it correctly. If they valued stories over the cheap switching gimmick, the story would just have been about Michael. He was a new character, breaking away from Claude's, Tommy's, CJ's, Vic's, Niko's, Luis's, and Franklin's f*cking "breaking out of the neighborhood/rags-to-riches" story. He was a different section of the criminal underworld, not mobster Tony, hired-killer Niko, biker Johnny, gang-banger CJ, he was new and interesting. The whole game had the bank robbery niche, yet it didn't make much sense that Franklin and Trevor were stealing millions just to continue to wear their backwards Families ballcaps and piss and bloodsoaked t-shirts. 

Uggggggghhhh... hopefully they redeem themselves in a DLC or in a next sub-game, like the Stories or Episodes style games.

• RandomNoun, Ermac., ThroatSlasher2 and 1 other like this

ColdHearted
  • ColdHearted

Nascar isn't a sport

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:54 PM

Spoiler

The game catered to boring bitches like you that fell in love with the hypocritical, serial hotdog eating, bowling fanatic Niko Belic and his depressing boring ass story. WTF was "gangsta" about GTA V ? Since when did Trevor running around in a dress like a little faggot = San Andreas ? You're full of sh*t.

Oh yeah, f*ck Jhonny Klebitz, I bet you cried like a f*cking little dick bitch when your virtual idol got f*cking owned like the little f*cking sissyboy that he was.

• AtomicPunk and latigreblue like this

RandomNoun
  • RandomNoun

Homie

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:55 PM Edited by RandomNoun, 04 November 2013 - 07:55 PM.

By the way, WHO WAS THE MAIN ANTAGONIST!?!?

Exactly. The character build up really was just awful. Everyone felt forced, especially through the protagonists perceptions.

Take a dynamic like Vlad and Dimitri with Niko. They give off their negative auras at the beginning of the story, reasons for the player to hate them. Niko exhibits a negative attitude toward them, as the player would.

Now Madrazo and Michael. The guy goes to Michael's house, beats him with a baseball bat, has his trash goomar spit on him, and then Michael goes to fetch him some money. Okay, Michael's being a submissive little pussy to this guy we're clearly meant to hate, something's gonna develop, right?

Okay, Michael and Trevor are in Madrazo's house. Trevor's giving off a negative response to him, but Michael's still being a little whimpering dog. What now? We're gonna run missions for him? Michael's gonna defend the man when Trevor insults him?

OKAY, NOW Trevor took Madrazo's wife. Are we gonna kill her? Ransom her? Madrazo's sending guys out to kill us. NOPE. WE'RE GONNA GIVE HER BACK! No consequences to us, no consequences to Madrazo. What did we get out of this? Some love relationship between Trevor and Patricia that's gimmicky and we're supposed to find funny? Bullsh*t.

You could argue it's more "realistic" to submit to the Mexican drug lord, but this is a game, it's fictional. There are tons of moments of unrealistic events we just take because it's a Grand Theft Auto game. How come I can kill several hundred cops and just sleep in my bed to be acquitted of my charges? It's a game. Give the player when they want. Let us kill f*cking Madrazo, who's an irritating, greedy, domineering asshole that they make you run missions for in multiplayer. Or hell, let Madrazo kill Michael, give ONE of the characters some consistency.

V ENDING SPOILERS V

What about ending C? "We're taking heat from every authority on the gang and federal level. Let's just KILL EVERYONE! Oh, we gotta make it a triangle. Uhhhh ,Stretch appeared in two missions and was kind of a dick to Franklin, obviously as much of a bad guy as Haynes. Let's KILL HIM! HE'S EQUALLY A BAD GUY! Then there's the Chinese boss, also appearing in a mission or two with no real personal connection to anyone except having been pissed off by Trevor's business practices. Gotta kill him too! What about Weston? They ULTIMATE FINAL BAD GUY BOSS! He was introduced toward the end and screwed the trio out of a few car payments. Let's make him THE CINEMATIC FINAL BOSS!"

If anyone, Haynes, should have been the only antagonist. He was introduced earlier, he was a dick to Michael, and Michael was a dick to him. Sorta like Niko and Dimitri. Or it could have been a more interesting "harmonious to bad" relationship. Like Dave could have betrayed Michael instead. Like Sonny and Tommy. Billy and Johnny. Big Smoke and CJ. Hell, even Niko was apprenticed to Dimitri early and, and sympathized with him.

R* was too ambitious with the character-switch dynamic. It could have worked, if they implemented it correctly. If they valued stories over the cheap switching gimmick, the story would just have been about Michael. He was a new character, breaking away from Claude's, Tommy's, CJ's, Vic's, Niko's, Luis's, and Franklin's f*cking "breaking out of the neighborhood/rags-to-riches" story. He was a different section of the criminal underworld, not mobster Tony, hired-killer Niko, biker Johnny, gang-banger CJ, he was new and interesting. The whole game had the bank robbery niche, yet it didn't make much sense that Franklin and Trevor were stealing millions just to continue to wear their backwards Families ballcaps and piss and bloodsoaked t-shirts. 

Uggggggghhhh... hopefully they redeem themselves in a DLC or in a next sub-game, like the Stories or Episodes style games.

Spot on. Because I took the story slowly I started to forget who was who. At least, I was pretending to myself that that was the reason. The reality was that I just didn't care.

One of the biggest 'WTF' moments I had in the game was the mission where you

Spoiler
. I knew what was supposed to be going on, but I didn't understand why it was happening like it was.

Literally my response to this mission (amongst many others):

epic-jackie-chan-template.png

• Ola441 and Drunken Cowboy like this

StingrayX
  • StingrayX

♢ Las Venturas ♢

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:06 PM

I may have to give V's storyline another playthrough. I enjoyed it mostly because of the missions, but I didn't really think about how inconsistent it was. Yeah sometimes I felt like, "Meh" but I didn't pay much attention. I was too anxious to finish.

I've played IV's story 5 times and 2 of those times -- once last summer and once this past summer -- I actually played through it slowly. It really is a magnificant story and I love how the other 2 characters tie into it. The part with Niko was my favorite though. His story started out like one of those books that start out slow but interesting, but then it got real intruiging. I don't know why so many bash it. It was much better than SA's and III's. I guess because people these days think anything gloomy sucks. :dozing:

IV's story just felt more believable and... special. It felt like GTA to me. To be honest, if V didn't have the ability to steal cars, I'd perceive it as a different game. It did not ferl very "GTA" at all to me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users