Photo

The story is inconsistent.

109 replies to this topic
ABCDOGGY ginette
  • ABCDOGGY ginette

Kingpin

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:24 AM

It feels like it has been written by a high school student.

I mean, they create a great introduction and background to the story and then they're off to a good start. Everything is cool and the story flows well. Once they reach the middle of the story, they're struggling to find original ideas but can't wait to finish writing this damn story. The more they advance through it the more the good ideas come rare. So it's non-sense over non-sense and arriving at the end they don't have a f*cking clue on how to conclude this story that has gone downhill. So they come up with the idea of killing all the bad guys in the same mission and boom GTA v is born.

• NinjaWJ, TonyMontanaCDL, 727gta and 2 others like this

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

It's been a ride

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:30 AM

I mean, they create a great introduction and background to the story and then they're off to a good start. Everything is cool and the story flows well. Once they reach the middle of the story, they're struggling to find original ideas but can't wait to finish writing this damn story. The more they advance through it the more the good ideas come rare. So it's non-sense over non-sense and arriving at the end they don't have a f*cking clue on how to conclude this story that has gone downhill. So they come up with the idea of killing all the bad guys in the same mission and boom GTA v is born.

:^: Good synopsis of the GTAV storyline. 

• NinjaWJ likes this

AtomicPunk
  • AtomicPunk

I'm your huckleberry

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:37 AM

:^: Good synopsis of the GTAV storyline. 

Very good indeed! However, you are about to be raped by the fanboys with things like: "This is the best story ever told ina GTA, yo" OR: "You're just a little kid. That's why you don't get it"

• NinjaWJ and Ferocious Banger like this

Car Lover
  • Car Lover

Lover of Cars

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:39 AM

Blanket statement with no examples or ideas.

Well done.

Let me try... potatoes are starchy.  Discuss.

• J DawgMillenium likes this

Zodape
  • Zodape

El Crápula

• The Yardies
  • Argentina

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:40 AM

I liked the story, but you are right. It has some "eeh?" moments. Compared to the rest of the GTAs (except IV), it's alright.

The__BIGC
  • The__BIGC

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:45 AM

I agree. What I think is possibly the worst part of the story is when Michael is knocked out by the FBI agent, and goes is sent into the morgue. Absoloutely stupid!

• NinjaWJ and Anzand17 like this

Mad_Maxine
  • Mad_Maxine

¿ʇnɥʍ

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:51 AM

I played the game with my popcorn lodgic.

Wich is a way of saying im dumb, and I dont care what happens as long as someone tells me a fun story. I enjoyed the game,

• spongebob83 likes this

Red XIII
  • Red XIII

British and Proud!

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:05 AM Edited by Red XIII, 04 November 2013 - 03:07 AM.

The characters personalities felt inconsistent, I don't feel the story was inconsistent but to me I felt it was stupid that the trio were just a puppet to the FBI...some illuminati sh*t.

Also if you notice no one really cared about franklin, everyone was just using him to do their dirty work, he felt like a little bitch.

This game COULD'VE been something special, but rockstar messed up.

• NinjaWJ and Scaglietti like this

StupidAssHeadAss
  • StupidAssHeadAss

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:40 AM

Well done.

The narrative in the game is so bad it's not even funny. 

Like OP said, the beginning starts off great, story gets set up, characters are introduced cleanly (Franklin, Micheal, Madrazo) then the bank heist happens because of all the conflict Madrazo and FnM and your hype as sh*t to see what happens next. Great! 

Then Trevor comes into the picture... And for some reason, the moment you're introduced to Trevor, R* decides to throw out any notion of narrative they had, Trevor swears revenge on Micheal and now the two confront each other and what happens? The two go save Tracy from embarrassing herself on TV, then for some reason, Trevor just forgets whatever the f*ck he wanted to do to Micheal for about 94% of the whole story.

Then Micheal who starts sh*tting himself because Trevor found out he's still alive, goes to the FIB and now the ENTIRE story is f*cked, Madrazo is no longer introduced until some random event in the story that i can't remember, Didn't Micheal owe him about 2.5 MILLION dollars? I'm pretty sure that one bank heist couldn't have been enough to pay him back EVEN if they didn't split the profit, which they did between everyone who was evolved.

But that's not all, now that the FIB is introduced, you're constantly forced to doing some extremely random sh*t that serve absolutely no purpose other then the fact to remind you that Micheal is in debt to them. An example of this is the heist mission where the FIB believes terrorists are trying to create nuclear bombs or some sh*t, But it's revealed on the radio that it wasn't chemical warfare but some brand new perfume :sui:

R* at this point has no idea how they want the story to progress, no idea who the main antagonist is, and no clue on how they want to end considering the fairy tail ending they made the DeathWish option where they kill every "Bad Guy" and live happy ever after.

These enough examples for ya'? I'm sure at some point in the game you asked yourself, "Wait, why am i doing this again? and what for?"

• NinjaWJ, Ferocious Banger, UltraGizmo64 and 3 others like this

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:43 AM

Well done.

Like OP said, the beginning starts off great, story gets set up, characters are introduced cleanly (Franklin, Micheal, Madrazo) then the bank heist happens because of all the conflict Madrazo and FnM and your hype as sh*t to see what happens next. Great! 

Then Trevor comes into the picture... And for some reason, the moment you're introduced to Trevor, R* decides to throw out any notion of narrative they had, Trevor swears revenge on Micheal and now the two confront each other and what happens? The two go save Tracy from embarrassing herself on TV, then for some reason, Trevor just forgets whatever the f*ck he wanted to do to Micheal for about 94% of the whole story.

Then Micheal who starts sh*tting himself because Trevor found out he's still alive, goes to the FIB and now the ENTIRE story is f*cked, Madrazo is no longer introduced until some random event in the story that i can't remember, Didn't Micheal owe him about 2.5 MILLION dollars? I'm pretty sure that one bank heist couldn't have been enough to pay him back EVEN if they didn't split the profit, which they did between everyone who was evolved.

But that's not all, now that the FIB is introduced, you're constantly forced to doing some extremely random sh*t that serve absolutely no purpose other then the fact to remind you that Micheal is in debt to them. An example of this is the heist mission where the FIB believes terrorists are trying to create nuclear bombs or some sh*t, But it's revealed on the radio that it wasn't chemical warfare but some brand new perfume :sui:

R* at this point has no idea how they want the story to progress, no idea who the main antagonist is, and no clue on how they want to end considering the fairy tail ending they made the DeathWish option where they kill every "Bad Guy" and live happy ever after.

These enough examples for ya'? I'm sure at some point in the game you asked yourself, "Wait, why am i doing this again? and what for?"
The FIB said it was perfume to cover up suspiciouns.

Car Lover
  • Car Lover

Lover of Cars

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:11 AM

Well done.

Nope... it was pretty easy to follow along.  I never once said 'dafuq is this'?

NinjaWJ
  • NinjaWJ

Just trying to get by

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:27 AM

i agree that the story is inconsistent. I was hooked in the beginning of the game but then i realized how lame they tried to tie in the heists with Madrazo. Madrazo doesn't even play a big role in the game!!! I liked the story arc involving the FIB because i felt the missions were fun but it was true that they served no purpose. I was hoping the story would pick up after the Kortz Center mission but then it seemed like Rockstar needed to wrap up the story as soon as possible which was frustrating. Option C was a poor excuse for an ending; you got rid of all the antagonists in one mission. By the way, WHO WAS THE MAIN ANTAGONIST!?!? There is nothing that drives the plot forward.

HITMAN1342
  • HITMAN1342

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:29 AM

I'll agree that the story wasn't very captivating or intriguing as GTA IV was; however, GTA V had much more diverse missions which kept me interested. Maybe that was what they were going for?

NinjaWJ
  • NinjaWJ

Just trying to get by

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:31 AM

I'll agree that the story wasn't very captivating or intriguing as GTA IV was; however, GTA V had much more diverse missions which kept me interested. Maybe that was what they were going for?

I think they were because a lot of fans complained that the missions in GTAIV were repetitive.

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

It's been a ride

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:56 AM

I said, "dafuq is this?" when Rockstar introduced Trevor as a character.  :)

• Drunken Cowboy likes this

Mr_Goldcard
  • Mr_Goldcard

Homie

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:59 AM

I said, "dafuq is this?" when Rockstar introduced Trevor as a character.  :)

Yeah, Trevor just doesn't feel like a protagonist. He feels like a side character. Kinda like Phil Cassidy...

• Drunken Cowboy likes this

RowanSane
  • RowanSane

SURF crew Commissioner, Xbox 360

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:35 AM

Well done.

The FIB said it was perfume to cover up suspiciouns.
And Martin got paid back from the first heist. Its listed in the cash break down afterwards.

vivalavendredi
  • vivalavendredi

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:16 AM

I have to agree. V is poorly written and the whole game feels rushed.

Ending A and B are ridiculous and well… C wasn't satisfying either. It didn't gave me the GTA feeling that the older titles gave me

Tashan
  • Tashan

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:22 AM

I never gave story as importance as
many fans show for GTA Except VC (still not great but better than any GTA)

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:26 AM

Yep  the Story was pretty mediocre Overall much like San andreas it seems to be a bit over the place and loses it Identity (its not as bad as S.A though imo) its a shame really i was hoping for another well written Focused Storyline like we had In IV And Red Dead Redemption. 

• shadyslady, Drunken Cowboy and CharlesManson855 like this

Ola441
  • Ola441

Hustler

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:41 AM

Gta V story < IV story. I felt Nikos pain and struggle but I feel nothing for the 3 in GTA V, I just thought Trevor was cool and that's it.

IV should have made money matter and then it would have been very great. I would've drowned Nikos sorrows with money.
  • tom_p1980 and UltraGizmo64 like this

tom_p1980
  • tom_p1980

Semi-Retired Forum Junkie

• Members
  • England

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:50 AM

Gta V story < IV story. I felt Nikos pain and struggle but I feel nothing for the 3 in GTA V, I just thought Trevor was cool and that's it.

IV should have made money matter and then it would have been very great. I would've drowned Nikos sorrows with money.

Agreed. Whilst GTA4 was dog crap, the overall story, while depressing as it was, was far more engaging. Even the character development was excellent.

In GTA5 I really couldn't care less about any of them. I probably cared more for Wade, Lester and Lemar than I did the 3 main protags, and that is a bad sign in any game.

• Ola441 likes this

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Gangsta

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:50 AM

I have no problems with the story.  It's certainly a better plot than any previous GTA title in my opinion.  Every previous GTA game was more or less simply about a guy making his way up the criminal ladder.  GTA IV had the addition of Niko's quest for revenge but that story arc felt out of place and uncompelling.

In GTA V I felt that the three character's motivation for taking part in the various missions was clearer and made more sense.  I felt their individual story arcs were more compelling than previous protagonists.  I think Michael is the best protagonist in the series' history.  Him being a family man brings a nice twist to the game.

At the end of the day GTA games are less about plot than they are about steeling cars and shooting people.  I also think the dialogue in GTA V is far better written than in previous GTAs.

• J DawgMillenium likes this

Cowboy_vn
  • Cowboy_vn

Stoner

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:01 AM

I played the entire game high as f*ck, so the story made perfect sense man. 
However, I would've liked to have had a lot more maffia-missions in the game. When Madrazo got introduced, I really was hoping for some heavy mobsterplots. They could've used the Chinese and started a war between them. And let us decide which horse to back. Or screw them both over with Trevor to endorse his own enterprise. 
I also wanted a lot more bankheists, maybe even let us break into museums to steal high-end stuff. (side note on stealing: the sneakskill is pretty much worthless if when no one sees you entering restricted areas and you still get wanted***) 
Also, the three main characters (Micheal, Trevor, Franklin) are introduced great. But they lose depth as the story goes on. 
Micheal, the tortured soul, isn't quite tortured enough. (maybe Madrazo should've killed Amanda) 
Trevor, mister mayham, goes a bit soft on us. (should've made him snap)
And Franklin, mister nice guy who wants a better life, becomes a douche and doesn't complain about stealing and killing anymore. 
What's up with the gangs in the game, and their lack of being in the story?
I would've enjoyed fighting Ballas as Franklin and gaining rank in the Grove Street Families. 
I would've loved to see more bikers in the story and kill or join them as Trevor. 
And I'll say it again; maffia-missions as Michael. Let him rank up and fight other mobs. 
This game has sooooooooooooooo many potential, but the story is short, there's not enough big explosions and once you complete it, there's less to do than in GTA San Andreas (in which you can defend your turf against other gangs after the storyline). Even online, it's kind of boring. 
I really hope they add a lot of DLC. 
Still, I enjoyed playing it. 

Ola441
  • Ola441

Hustler

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:06 AM

I have no problems with the story.  It's certainly a better plot than any previous GTA title in my opinion.  Every previous GTA game was more or less simply about a guy making his way up the criminal ladder.  GTA IV had the addition of Niko's quest for revenge but that story arc felt out of place and uncompelling.

In GTA V I felt that the three character's motivation for taking part in the various missions was clearer and made more sense.  I felt their individual story arcs were more compelling than previous protagonists.  I think Michael is the best protagonist in the series' history.  Him being a family man brings a nice twist to the game.

At the end of the day GTA games are less about plot than they are about steeling cars and shooting people.  I also think the dialogue in GTA V is far better written than in previous GTAs.

In simple words explain

Trevor's motivations for all the things he did and Franklins? The first heist was to pay for michaels damage to madrazo. The rest until the end were FIB chicken change jobs.

It wasn't clear to me why they couldn't just say screw the FIB and Devon Weston and face the consequences just like NIko or any other Gta protagonist. They just bent down and took those jobs, well Michael did and the rest just followed.

If they rejected the jobs, a campaign of 3 bank robbers, escaping the police, FIB and Devon Weston's private army and maybe madrazo would have been entertaining. Like there would be a cat and mouse game and Lester would be the thing that kept us from getting owned by our pursuers.

That's why one of the stand out moments in the game was Trevor and his vendetta against gangs in sandy shores, he reduced two complete gangs to sh*t but that never happened once again which was sad.

I accept the story for what it was but I didn't sit right with me, there was no power play or politics involved, ie killing corrupt police gta sa and gta v, revenge like with Darko or even betrayal like niko girlfriend or big smoke.

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Gangsta

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:39 AM

I accept the story for what it was but I didn't sit right with me, there was no power play or politics involved, ie killing corrupt police gta sa and gta v, revenge like with Darko or even betrayal like niko girlfriend or big smoke.

Those elements you listed are too contrived for my liking.  I think the reason they had to do those missions for Haines was because they weren't in a position to say no.  They were being blackmailed.  I think Michael's motivations are fairly clear throughout the game.  Franklin wants to get out of the hood and he sees Michael as his ticket.  His reason for getting involved in all the other stuff was a mixture of loyalty and his commitment to whatever journey he was on with Michael.  Trevor is in a similar position to Michael in that once he's back in the picture and known to Dave and Steve then he gets blackmailed too.  I also think that he's loyal to Michael.  That aspect of his character is made pretty clear.

Ola441
  • Ola441

Hustler

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:43 PM

Those elements you listed are too contrived for my liking.  I think the reason they had to do those missions for Haines was because they weren't in a position to say no.  They were being blackmailed.  I think Michael's motivations are fairly clear throughout the game.  Franklin wants to get out of the hood and he sees Michael as his ticket.  His reason for getting involved in all the other stuff was a mixture of loyalty and his commitment to whatever journey he was on with Michael.  Trevor is in a similar position to Michael in that once he's back in the picture and known to Dave and Steve then he gets blackmailed too.  I also think that he's loyal to Michael.  That aspect of his character is made pretty clear.

Commitment isnt formed over a day,but thats how it seemed like between Frank and Mike. If they weren't in a position to say no, how did they even get into the position to kill Haines and all of these guys at the end? nothing changed apart from what was in their bank account. Btw it was only Michael that had anything to get black mailed over but it became everyone problem and it seemed forced onto them.

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Gangsta

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:01 PM

Commitment isnt formed over a day,but thats how it seemed like between Frank and Mike. If they weren't in a position to say no, how did they even get into the position to kill Haines and all of these guys at the end? nothing changed apart from what was in their bank account. Btw it was only Michael that had anything to get black mailed over but it became everyone problem and it seemed forced onto them.

I think Franklin hung around because, as he says, he's getting shot at either way.  Trevor was still a wanted man.  The only reason Trevor was able to avoid being caught all that time was because Dave was the one keeping tabs on him.  With Haines in the picture they all had to play ball.  Aside from that the three protagonists are friends and decide to ride it out.  They thought if they played ball with Haines then they'd be home free in the end.

Tonesta
  • Tonesta

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:55 PM

Trevor was also still involved in the FIB missions because, basically, he enjoyed it!

But I tend to agree with the OP - the first twenty or so missions, up until Trevor gets to Los Santos, were absolutely terrific story-wise (all the missions were terrific fun-wise!). Set up the characters and various story plot-arcs perfectly.

After that - with the major exception of Burying the Hatchet, which was a terrific storyline mission - the whole plot was a bit Meh, and none of the endings were very satisfying.

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, I always carry my heat in these streets

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:05 PM Edited by Official General, 05 November 2013 - 02:25 PM.

Agreed. Whilst GTA4 was dog crap, the overall story, while depressing as it was, was far more engaging. Even the character development was excellent.

In GTA5 I really couldn't care less about any of them. I probably cared more for Wade, Lester and Lemar than I did the 3 main protags, and that is a bad sign in any game.

Count me in with all that, I agree too.

The storyline in GTA IV was much better. It was just more intriguing and engaging. I just loved Niko's various dealings, alliances, conflict and double-crossing between all different kinds of gangs and crime groups. The gritty New York setting provided the perfect backdrop for the story. Drug-deals, heists, mob hits, lots of gang shoot-outs, IV felt like essentially what GTA should be about - getting caught up deep in the world of ORGANIZED CRIME, MAFIA, GANGS, not being f**king lapdogs for corrupt cops and government agents. 

• shadyslady likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users