Quantcast

» «
Photo

What is the deal with all this zombie stuff?

13 replies to this topic
theadmiral
  • theadmiral

Founder And Opening Batsman: Vinewood Cricket Club

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:26 AM

I've never understood this. What demographic does it appeal to and why? It is so utterly uninteresting to me but I've realized I must be in the minority because there seems to be tons of people obsessed with it. Am I too old?

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:57 AM

Zombies appeal to two main audiences. The brainless majority that is in it just for the gore it guarantees, and the pretentious elite who like to discuss zombies as a metaphor for human condition. The later is necessary for all the movie, games, and literature on the subject to keep emerging. You probably fall somewhere in the middle, which leaves little appeal.

This is oversimplifying things a bit, of course, and there are many minority groups who like or dislike the genre for other reasons, but the above covers overwhelming majority of the people.

• Finn 7 five 11 likes this

Shyabang Shyabang
  • Shyabang Shyabang

Wild Thing

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:08 AM

The zombie theme has been done too many times.

W2B
  • W2B

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:48 AM

It all comes down to taste. It's just some form of entertainment, and you either love it or you hate it.

I personally like some zombie movies, games and The Walking Dead. I just find the idea of a zombie apocalypse interesting and there has always been a part of me that wished that something like that would really happen :)

ExtremoMania
  • ExtremoMania

Just a dose of metal everyday

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:15 PM

Zombies has somewhat become a popular culture in all forms of entertainment. Considering the amount of movies and games about zombie apocalypse has become a widely known topic throughout the passage of time.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:44 PM Edited by lil weasel, 04 November 2013 - 07:34 PM.

People like to see somebody (zombie) less intelligent than themselves being 'put down'.

So, what is the one guaranteed lesser intelligent ambulant creature 'on earth'?

Fish in a barrel shooting is the great gaming hook.

Have you ever seen a Chinese Zombie/Vampyre movie. Hilarious! :^:

Four minutes will give you a good idea of what I mean :)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=5wiGkCtTEQI

• 018361 likes this

Jeone
  • Jeone

question authority

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:55 PM

Zombies has somewhat become a popular culture in all forms of entertainment. Considering the amount of movies and games about zombie apocalypse has become a widely known topic throughout the passage of time.

But in places like Africa and the Middle East they are still feared

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:16 PM

I guess zombie games are As popular now as WW2 shooters were about 5 years ago. It's all a fad that'll burn out in a few years and be replaced by...I don't know...maytag repairmen?

ItsTotesSoFluffy
  • ItsTotesSoFluffy

Zombie

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:22 AM

I don't know why I love zombies so much. I got into films around the age of 16 and decided that I needed to see every zombie film ever. Since then I love games, comics, manga, tv shows, books etc with zombies :D

• theadmiral likes this

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:33 AM

Zombies appeal to two main audiences. The brainless majority that is in it just for the gore it guarantees, and the pretentious elite who like to discuss zombies as a metaphor for human condition. The later is necessary for all the movie, games, and literature on the subject to keep emerging. You probably fall somewhere in the middle, which leaves little appeal.

This is oversimplifying things a bit, of course, and there are many minority groups who like or dislike the genre for other reasons, but the above covers overwhelming majority of the people.

I'd say also that Zombie films are a simple concept that can make a good film rather easily, the zombies create a doomsday-like scenario without resorting to higher powers, and they remain an imminent threat to keep suspense and thrill throughout the film so they can focus on the storyline a little more without having to worry so much about creating thrilling circumstances, all they need to do is get someone stuck in a mess with a bunch of zombies rather than having to be creative.

That said zombie films are generally cheesy and UN unique but enough people are fans so they absorb all the bad acting anyway for cheap thrills and/or horror.

I Am Legend is a brilliant film though, both of them including the book, zombie film done right there. The majority of the rest is recycled garbage. (Dawn of the dead, ect)

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:35 AM

After you've seen so many zombie films and played so many zombie games, doesn't it get played out? I know with genres like vampires and stuff its cool for the first couple and then it becomes tired. This zombie thing seems to go on and on and the people who are into it want a zombie version of everything!

Nothing against it, don't mistake me. I've never seen a zombie film or played a zombie game. I just keep hearing about it.

ItsTotesSoFluffy
  • ItsTotesSoFluffy

Zombie

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:39 AM

I don't really find it tiresome, yes there are so many bad zombie films out there, even ones that are so bad that they're good. I actually feel the same way about vampire things, but not as obsessed. Maybe you just have to be into the supernatural genre :) I mean theres going to be things that I don't like that people obsess over with but I don't feel the need to question it :p

If you've never seen a zombie film, maybe you should.

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:41 AM

I don't really find it tiresome, yes there are so many bad zombie films out there, even ones that are so bad that they're good. I actually feel the same way about vampire things, but not as obsessed. Maybe you just have to be into the supernatural genre :) I mean theres going to be things that I don't like that people obsess over with but I don't feel the need to question it :p

I saw this TV show that comes on , I forget what it is called but its a bunch of people relentlessly shooting zombies. I think it comes on Sci-fi or some other crummy channel. It seemed OKish but I think it is just not my cup of tea in general. Maybe I need to see the good one that Finn4Life mentioned.

ItsTotesSoFluffy
  • ItsTotesSoFluffy

Zombie

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:49 AM

I saw this TV show that comes on , I forget what it is called but its a bunch of people relentlessly shooting zombies. I think it comes on Sci-fi or some other crummy channel. It seemed OKish but I think it is just not my cup of tea in general. Maybe I need to see the good one that Finn4Life mentioned.

Probably The Walking Dead :p 

I wouldn't watch I am Legend for a first zombie film as its a vampire film. Maybe you should go with something funny like Shaun of the Dead or Zombieland :p

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users