» «
Photo

Is it really worth it to buy a jet?

30 replies to this topic
terickson30
  • terickson30

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:52 PM Edited by terickson227, 04 November 2013 - 12:07 AM.

When I finished the main story, I purchased the airport hangars with Franklin and Michael. I tested buying a jet with Michael first, but soon realized that only one plane could be saved in a hangar that should be able to hold at least 2.

However, the real issue for me is that I don't see much of a reason to buy one at all. For one thing, if I want to jump out of a plane and parachute, I can just steal one, rather than lose over a million dollars paying for an aircraft that just gets destroyed.

In addition to that, there are only four runways in the game: Los Santos International Airport, Fort Zancudo, Sandy Shores Airfield, and McKenzie Field. Obviously, you get an instant wanted level at Fort Zancudo.

It would be nice if there were several large airports that you could fly to, like in GTA San Andreas, and have a hangar at each airport so you could take your saved jet, land at another airport, and taxi to your other hangar where it will be saved until you come back. I don't really see this happening, but I don't really see any reason to buy a jet either. After all, you can't even fly off the map to pretend you are making a flight worthy of anything more than a small propeller plane, since your engine shuts off automatically.

I wish that I could see a reason to, but all you can do is fly around the map, which seems far too small in a jet.

marco-polo
  • marco-polo

?

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:58 PM

I always thought it was pointless too, but if you've got excess cash...

Hooves07
  • Hooves07

Street Cat

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:04 AM

It's not since the most expensive jet always spawns at the far end of the runway. If you do buy it and crash they respawn, so no need to ever purchase again.

terickson30
  • terickson30

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:15 AM Edited by terickson227, 04 November 2013 - 12:16 AM.

It's not since the most expensive jet always spawns at the far end of the runway. If you do buy it and crash they respawn, so no need to ever purchase again.

You mean the Luxor that has a pilot in it? I thought that was always there.

Regardless, I still think that the jets have very little purpose, especially the larger ones. I tried landing one of the large passenger planes at Sandy Shores Airfield, and it exploded. It is possible to land at Fort Zancudo in one, but the military is attacking you.

They didn't add flyable planes in GTA 4, since there was only one airport, but this doesn't seem a whole lot better.

Art:Vandelay
  • Art:Vandelay

Architect, Latex Producer, Marine Biologist

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:17 AM

You can store all the planes, I would buy the planes that don't spawn elsewhere, I would also buy the cargobob
  • CuteBabyPenguin likes this

terickson30
  • terickson30

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:25 AM

You can store all the planes, I would buy the planes that don't spawn elsewhere, I would also buy the cargobob

I must admit, part of my reluctance to buy any vehicles, including planes, is that I don't understand how it works or how safe storing vehicles is. That is for another topic, though.

Art:Vandelay
  • Art:Vandelay

Architect, Latex Producer, Marine Biologist

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:29 AM

In sp you buy it an they will deliver it to your hanger (you can store any plane and all the planes at the same time). In MP you buy a plane and you call peguaus whenever you want it. It cost 1000$ to have it delivers it will then be deliversd to lsx or Trevor's airfield

terickson30
  • terickson30

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:59 AM Edited by terickson30, 04 November 2013 - 01:36 AM.

In sp you buy it an they will deliver it to your hanger (you can store any plane and all the planes at the same time). In MP you buy a plane and you call peguaus whenever you want it. It cost 1000$ to have it delivers it will then be deliversd to lsx or Trevor's airfield

Thanks, I believe I understand it a bit better now. However, the issue of there being a real reason have jets remains. The largest of the planes can really only be used to take off, fly around, and land back at the same airport you took off from, or to jump out of. The small jets can land at Sandy Shores, but there aren't many reasons to do so.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:12 AM

Just like a boat or helicopter, you do not lose your plane if it is destroyed. But yeah it feels pointless to buy a plane. Buying a hangar is worth it for the access to the airport, but a plane is pointless

terickson30
  • terickson30

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:48 AM Edited by terickson30, 04 November 2013 - 01:49 AM.

Just like a boat or helicopter, you do not lose your plane if it is destroyed. But yeah it feels pointless to buy a plane. Buying a hangar is worth it for the access to the airport, but a plane is pointless

It's a bit off topic, but I wish Trevor had the same access to Los Santos International Airport, so he could take or land planes from there without an instant wanted level. Maybe this could work realistically by allowing him to get access when either Michael or Franklin own a hangar.

Anyway, I just can't shake the feeling while playing that planes are close to unjustified. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy having planes again after GTA4, and there are some situations that warrant them. It just feels like, practically, there are very few roles that planes fill that helicopters couldn't with the map we were given, which takes most of the fun out of flying planes for me.

PineboxFiller
  • PineboxFiller

Liar

• Members
  • Olympics

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:48 AM

Yeah I see what you mean as you can just steal the planes at the airport or steal it then park it in your hanger and it will respawn. The Mallard is worth it though as it's cheap, agile, can't be found anywhere that I know of, and is small and maneuverable enough to be landed on "emergency runways" i.e. anywhere straight enough you want to try to put it down.

terickson30
  • terickson30

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:01 AM

Yeah I see what you mean as you can just steal the planes at the airport or steal it then park it in your hanger and it will respawn. The Mallard is worth it though as it's cheap, agile, can't be found anywhere that I know of, and is small and maneuverable enough to be landed on "emergency runways" i.e. anywhere straight enough you want to try to put it down.

It is true that propeller planes have their uses, as you said. It would be nice to let the jets be used to their full potential as well. For example, remember the large cargo plane from the one mission, where you hijack it but it gets shot down? Trevor intended to land it at Mckenzie Field, but there is no way it could land there. As I said above, I tried landing a jumbo jet at Sandy Shores (which has a longer runway than Mckenzie Field) and it exploded, since it was too big.

Even if that plane were added, as I've heard some people suggest, it would be one more plane that doesn't fill any role.

Tritium
  • Tritium

Special Agent

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:08 AM

It is true that propeller planes have their uses, as you said. It would be nice to let the jets be used to their full potential as well. For example, remember the large cargo plane from the one mission, where you hijack it but it gets shot down? Trevor intended to land it at Mckenzie Field, but there is no way it could land there. As I said above, I tried landing a jumbo jet at Sandy Shores (which has a longer runway than Mckenzie Field) and it exploded, since it was too big.

Even if that plane were added, as I've heard some people suggest, it would be one more plane that doesn't fill any role.

Exactly, the wingspan is the same length as the whole runway!!!

terickson30
  • terickson30

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:25 AM Edited by terickson30, 04 November 2013 - 03:27 AM.

Exactly, the wingspan is the same length as the whole runway!!!

Maybe Trevor should next try to land a jumbo jet at the racetrack in Los Santos. Nevermind, I don't want to give him any ideas. I have to pay his hospital bills, after all.

I wouldn't mind seeing more planes in future updates, but much more importantly I'd like to have more options for flying, landing, and storing planes. For now at least though, it seems like we're stuck with Full Circle Airlines: Serving the only airport in San Andreas, we'll bring you right back to where you started!

marco-polo
  • marco-polo

?

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:32 AM

Since it was too big.

Yeah one touch on a rock and it's all over, try landing on the right runway instead of the left.

Skim low until no rocks are there.

terickson30
  • terickson30

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:03 AM Edited by terickson30, 04 November 2013 - 04:07 AM.

Since it was too big.

Yeah one touch on a rock and it's all over, try landing on the right runway instead of the left.
Skim low until no rocks are there.
Okay, I managed to do it. Landing at McKenzie Field in a jumbo jet still seems unlikely, but maybe I'll try it.

Despite this, I would still like to have at least one more major airport with hangars for all characters. Unfortunately, GTA Online seems to take 99% of Rockstar's attention, for now at least.

EDIT: I also managed to land at McKenzie Field in a jumbo jet, minus the right wing. I think it hit a tree right when I landed.

El Chinx Antrax is my hero 🕶

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:19 AM

The Mallard is a plane that looks similar to the dodo planes from past GTA games? If it is that plane I found it at the LS airport around the corner from Michael's hanger. 

El Chinx Antrax is my hero 🕶

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:23 AM

Flying planes is a prick but I got the army jet from army base and enjoy flying around as you can shoot and get into flight combat with the cops/sqaud/army if you don't get shot too many times or whatever else. So thats all I do with flying now I finished the game. I brought the luxer? jet, for Michael. Before I noticed it was parked on at the hangers to steal. 

With my game, I can't seem to work out where to store my stolen aircrafts? I seen three spaces and parked each plane/jet I stole on them spaces but when I go "click to get into purchased aircraft" I do and my stolen ones disappear for good. So I don't buy jack sh*t with aircraft. But, that army jet is beast and fun if you want a full scale war in the sky and good pilot :D

CiviX
  • CiviX

Snitch

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:39 AM

Didn't read the whole topic, so sorry if it's mentioned before. But i have bought most of them, i got the cash. But i noticed that when you steal one, and then spawn one that you bought. The one that's stolen dissapears forever.

marco-polo
  • marco-polo

?

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:55 AM

EDIT: I also managed to land at McKenzie Field in a jumbo jet, minus the right wing. I think it hit a tree right when I landed.

It just came off or the whole thing blew up? I've never had it come apart without detonation.

Mpower
  • Mpower

Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:54 AM

Yeah, it's useless since all those airplanes spawn at the airport. I bought the hangar just to get rid of the wanted level and store the P-996 Lazer. One for michael and another one for franklin

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

Killed by drones.

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Talented Writer 2015
    Most Talented Writer 2014
    Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:17 PM

Planes are just tacked on because we all demanded them return. They serve no purpose in this game, aside from a bit of fun for 3 minutes.

Online, you got dogfights etc, but yes, why buy one when you can steal one?

The hangers, can't they store ONE purchased vehicle and one "stolen" vehicle together?

I however, can not buy a hanger as Franklin. It just doesn't work...... 200 Million should be enough, right? I press right, twice...nothing. i walk away, come back, try again.. .nothing

x0v3rKiLx
  • x0v3rKiLx

Tally target, weapon away.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:41 PM

I only bought all the planes on the website because I had nothing else to spend my money on. I mod my save files so I have 2.1 bil (the max possible) on each character, so why not load their hangars. I currently have an F-16 stored in my hangar though. It's the fastest vehicle in the game as far as I can tell. I would like a C-130 though, I'm just waiting for Rockstar to patch the stupid glitch where the C-130 spawns so close to the wall that the right wing shears off.....if the hangar only stores one vehicle I have no clue why the hell the plane shouldn't spawn in the MIDDLE of the hangar....this isn't rocket science.

The main purpose to buying planes is so that you can switch between which one you want stored. Stolen aircraft that are stored at your hangar are lost if you switch your selected stored vehicle, which is why I also bought all the helicopters and boats, but stored the USMC Cargobob there after doing so, as well as the Police Predator.

If you're someone who earns their SP cash legit though, I say stay away from buying jets/helis/boats. It's all for vanity and not much functionality, except maybe for helis (but you can grab a Maverick from the South LS hospital anyway or spawn a Little Bird gunship through cheats if you don't mind the blocked achievements).

Don't feel bad about spending the money on hangars though, it grants you access to the LAX tarmac, which thus gives you free access to the Learjets and 747-800s that spawn there.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

Killed by drones.

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Talented Writer 2015
    Most Talented Writer 2014
    Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:32 PM

Why mod your savefile to get extra money?

If i knew how, i'd mod it to unlock the outfits you only get after finishing the story mode. I can't keep playing much past the final mission, as it feels pointless, so having the cool stuff during the game would be cool.

Doing the stockmarket/lester assassination missions can give you more money than you know what to do with, so buying planes and hangars is fine, but as you've said, it's all for vanity. "I've bought a jet!"
"Now what?"
"I dunno, ill blow it up i guess."

I was disappointed that there was so little missions not related to jets and helis - dogfights and heli battles etc (as hinted in the trailer), and the bit in the first trailer where you smoke that field. I was lookingforward to them! It feels to me like jets are just added on for the hell of it, that Rockstar just added sh*t to make everyone happy... or try to

x0v3rKiLx
  • x0v3rKiLx

Tally target, weapon away.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:29 PM

Why mod your savefile to get extra money?

Idk, if you're gonna mod your savefile, go all out I guess xD I modded my save anyway so I could get the Stinger GT in SP. Got it in chrome :D

terickson30
  • terickson30

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:43 AM Edited by terickson30, 05 November 2013 - 06:13 AM.

It just came off or the whole thing blew up? I've never had it come apart without detonation.
The plane did not explode, which surprised me. The right wing literally sheared off, but the engine was still running. If you must fly out to the Alamo Sea area in the jumbo jet, I recommend landing at Sandy Shores, and not McKenzie Field.

Grand Cannon
  • Grand Cannon

Everywhere and Nowhere

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:11 AM

In addition to that, there are only four runways in the game: Los Santos International Airport, Fort Zancudo, Sandy Shores Airfield, and McKenzie Field. Obviously, you get an instant wanted level at Fort Zancudo.

Bullsh*t, cool guys land on the bridges ,freeways, and highways.

terickson30
  • terickson30

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:06 PM Edited by terickson30, 05 November 2013 - 03:06 PM.

You can't save a plane on a freeway, assuming you even manage to land safely. In a small propeller plane, it can be done, but with a jumbo jet?

Grand Cannon
  • Grand Cannon

Everywhere and Nowhere

• Members

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:21 AM

You can't save a plane on a freeway, assuming you even manage to land safely. In a small propeller plane, it can be done, but with a jumbo jet?

The jumbo jet was a tad hard due to suicide drivers. But, it can be done.

terickson30
  • terickson30

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:50 AM

The jumbo jet was a tad hard due to suicide drivers. But, it can be done.

Regardless, the existence of other large airports, cities, and surrounding areas (like in GTA San Andreas) would add a lot to the the game. Sure, I could land on a freeway, but with the expensive hospital bills, I'm more inclined to drive, and flying large planes has minimal use for me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users