Quantcast

» «
Photo

The Antagonists in this game are a big dissapointment

41 replies to this topic

Poll: The Antagonists in this game are a big dissapointment (92 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you agree?

1. Yes (50 votes [54.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 54.35%

2. No (42 votes [45.65%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 45.65%

Vote Guests cannot vote
John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Gangsta

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:02 AM

I felt like GTA V didn't necessarily have villains but simply characters whose motivations were at odds with the game's protagonists.  To me that is more interesting than simply having some one dimensional bad guy as the antagonist.

Steve Haines and Devon Weston were certainly unlikeable a**holes but they weren't necessarily more deserving of death than any of the protagonists.  I felt like GTA V was the first game to address the fact that the protagonist were murdering criminals and not simply the good guys.

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:03 AM

Steve at least thought what he was doing was for a good cause. Devin seemed to almost revel in the fact that he was a sh*tbag.

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:03 PM Edited by DeafMetal, 04 November 2013 - 12:03 PM.

I think the antagonists of the HD era in general are pretty sh*tty compared to the 3D era. Dimitri is the best one by far but that's not saying much given how

Spoiler

VVipeSide
  • VVipeSide

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:16 PM

Devin Weston? Ridiculous. 

Some anonymous Merryweather soldiers? Gimmie a break  :yawn:

Steve Haines had potential but it's all just about some funding?  :yawn:

Rocco Pelosi runs away like a pussy and is just canon fodder?  :blink:

Him and Gianni, being much younger than Mike, and Rocco having experience as a made man in the Ancelotti family he just runs away from fat old Mike?  :blink:

Wei Cheng...some unfamiliar random chinese triad guy nobody gives a f*ck about. Similar thing with Stretch. He "sets" you up. Geesh. 

A set up is only done falantabulous by one antagonist, Dimitri f*cking Rascalov.

Who really cares about Stretch? 

These antagonists are really bad. 

So I HAVE TO look at Trevor even more as the antagonist. 

Trevor is a nice antagonist. RIP :rampage:

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:27 PM

^ yeah I think I agree with you he is certainly more threatening than Steve Haines and Devin Weston who are both just annoying pricks

Raiden雷電
  • Raiden雷電

I Am Lightning, The Rain Transformed

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:29 PM

Steve Haines is actually a very good Antagonist. But Not as good as Dimitri, they made you hate him with a passion in GTA IV. 

Raiden雷電
  • Raiden雷電

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:32 PM Edited by TensaZangetsu, 04 November 2013 - 12:40 PM.

ignore double post it was accident.

Raiden雷電
  • Raiden雷電

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:34 PM Edited by TensaZangetsu, 04 November 2013 - 12:40 PM.

deleted.

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:35 PM Edited by Official General, 04 November 2013 - 03:45 PM.

Him and Gianni, being much younger than Mike, and Rocco having experience as a made man in the Ancelotti family he just runs away from fat old Mike?  :blink:

Wei Cheng...some unfamiliar random chinese triad guy nobody gives a f*ck about. Similar thing with Stretch. He "sets" you up. Geesh. 

A set up is only done falantabulous by one antagonist, Dimitri f*cking Rascalov.

Brilliant post  :cookie:  :^:

I totally agree with everything you said here. You forgot Martin Madrazo - a Mexican drug cartel boss that does not mind other guys kidnapping and f**king his wife as long they bring her back alive and pay him some compensation money or do an assignment for him.

That corrupt FIB/cop/Merryweather story was some real, plastic Hollywood, boring bullsh*t. The worst antagonists in GTA ever. I was hoping that Franklin would get deeper into more beef and gang action with the Ballas and the Stretch double-cross, I hoped that Michael was gonna have more confrontations with Martin Madrazo and Trveor would have been more exciting if his battles with biker, redneck gangs and Mexican drug traffickers continued. 

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:45 PM Edited by DeafMetal, 04 November 2013 - 03:46 PM.

I totally agree with everything you said here. You forgot Martin Madrazo - a Mexican drug cartel boss that does not mind other guys kidnapping and f**king his wife as long they bring her back alive and pay him some compensation money or do an assignment for him.

That corrupt FIB/cop/Merryweather story was some real, plastic Hollywood, boring bullsh*t. 

You're discounting the fact that Trevor most likely massacred his entire guards and cut off his ear. That's why he stopped chasing those guys, not because of the money. This is the type of thing that makes the ending where Trevor dies complete BS tbh. The guy walked into one of the most dangerous man in LS's house, killed his bodyguards, and cut off his ear, but apparently, he runs away from a 20-something former gangbanger whose role model is an aging bank robber.

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:54 PM Edited by Official General, 04 November 2013 - 04:40 PM.

That corrupt FIB/cop/Merryweather story was some real, plastic Hollywood, boring bullsh*t. 

You're discounting the fact that Trevor most likely massacred his entire guards and cut off his ear. That's why he stopped chasing those guys, not because of the money. This is the type of thing that makes the ending where Trevor dies complete BS tbh. The guy walked into one of the most dangerous man in LS's house, killed his bodyguards, and cut off his ear, but apparently, he runs away from a 20-something former gangbanger whose role model is an aging bank robber.

Lol, didn't think of it like that !! I think you're forgetting that Franklin caught Trevor slippin' though. If you remember, Franklin called Trevor and gave him the impression he wanted a heart-to-heart talk about personal issues, Trevor either came without his gun, or he did not have it ready, so he fled first, before confronting him and Michael. That's my take on that. 

Waingro
  • Waingro

He was reaching for a gun.

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:31 PM Edited by Waingro, 04 November 2013 - 04:31 PM.

I think it was pretty obvious that Devin/Steve/Stretch were B story line antagonists. The player, based on how much depth he put into playing as Mike/Frank/Trevor, actually played both as protagonist AND antagonist. The main characters were their own worst enemies.

If you hung out often with them in different combinations you got a lot more deeper into their relationships. The cut scenes barely scratched the surface.

Now no one will agree with me because Americans needs to have "Evil Guy" to go after instead of accepting their own actions is ultimately much more evil.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users