Quantcast

» «
Photo

The Antagonists in this game are a big dissapointment

41 replies to this topic

Poll: The Antagonists in this game are a big dissapointment (92 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you agree?

1. Yes (50 votes [54.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 54.35%

2. No (42 votes [45.65%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 45.65%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Hustler

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:23 PM

In comparison to dudes like Sonny Forelli, Tenpenny and Dimitri  Steve Haines and Devin Weston look f*cking

ridiculous and not threatening at all

And that you cann kill them that easily in the end doesn't help at all

With Michael and especially Trevor they created without a doubt two unique Protagonists but in my opinion they somehow got the antagonists wrong

What do you think?

Car Lover
  • Car Lover

Lover of Cars

• Members

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:27 PM

I don't think so.  I never wanted to kill anybody more than I wanted to kill the effing prick Steve Haines.

Zodape
  • Zodape

Brilliant Gentleman

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:28 PM

Tenpenny will always be the biggest asshole.

(Nope, I'm not a SA fanboy).

shadyslady
  • shadyslady

I've never been popular - I don't mean to start now

• Members

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:49 PM

I try to compare them to the hd universe antagonists. Dimitri Rascalov: perfect antagonist. First appears friendly, stabs you in the back and it's really satisfying executing him on the platypus. Bulgarin, Boccino, Billy Grey are also very good antagonists. In V: Steve Haines, Stretch, Wei Cheng? A f*cking joke. I'd rather look at Trevor as an antagonist instead of them. He's the Joker in V.

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Hustler

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:56 PM

^ yeah I agree man I don't know why Rockstar f*cked the antagonists up

IceHot100
  • IceHot100

Out of Order

• Members

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:20 PM

The game was never about the antagonists. They were just fillers for the story. They just needed some bad guys who constantly get in your way. Heists were the main point.

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

I thought I would only need this meme for a few weeks...or so

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:37 PM Edited by saintsrow, 03 November 2013 - 11:37 PM.

The game was never about the antagonists. They were just fillers for the story. They just needed some bad guys who constantly get in your way. Heists were the main point.

I hear that, but there are plenty of threads saying that the heists were a big disappointment.  :bored:

It's looking like GTAV was a filler for GTA0. 

• ThroatSlasher2 likes this

AtomicPunk
  • AtomicPunk

I'm your huckleberry

• Members

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:41 PM

I hear that, but there are plenty of threads saying that the heists were a big disappointment.  :bored:

It's looking like GTAV was a filler for GTA0. 

I would give you a like, but I gave them all to Wildbrick LOL!

shadyslady
  • shadyslady

I've never been popular - I don't mean to start now

• Members

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:42 PM

Lol and I even forgot about Devin Weston cuz he's just forgettable.

Sasqui
  • Sasqui

Gangsta sh*t

• Members

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:57 PM

Not a big disappointment. Sure, they aren't Tenpenny, but they aren't awful. I think Rockstar could do better, however, and I'm sure they will in VI.

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Hustler

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:03 AM

Lol and I even forgot about Devin Weston cuz he's just forgettable.

yep he was your cliche rich man who has criminal ties and thinks he can do whatever he wants

VileClown
  • VileClown

Terrible In Terra-Belle

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:07 AM

In comparison to dudes like Sonny Forelli, Tenpenny and Dimitri  Steve Haines and Devin Weston look f*cking

ridiculous and not threatening at all

And that you cann kill them that easily in the end doesn't help at all

With Michael and especially Trevor they created without a doubt two unique Protagonists but in my opinion they somehow got the antagonists wrong

What do you think?

Nobody can top Officer Frank Tenpenny. You could tell Samuel Jackson was having way too much fun portraying him. Can't match Sam Jackson.

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:09 AM

... I think Rockstar could do better, however, and I'm sure they will in VI.

Got a sudden flash of deja vu; seems like some people were saying that same thing after GTA IV, TLOD and TBOGT.  :) and now here we are ....

Not a big disappointment. Sure, they aren't Tenpenny, but they aren't awful. ...

I agree with that, and I also agree with the guy above that we all wanted to kill Steven fuking Haynes by the end of the game :)  (and actually that was kind of anticlimactic -- I expected a big boss battle to take him down,

Spoiler
, and some kind of logical resolution as a result.  I think that all the chest beating Rockstar does about creating cinematic video games, and their posturing about the importance of story and "1000 page scripts" led us to believe that they really had something extraordinary up their sleeve. 

WorldWideFM
  • WorldWideFM

Trick

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:20 AM

You're missing the point. the focus for this game was different than the past ones. This wasn't a traditional GTA revenge story. If anything, the people we play as are the real focal point, it's those characters that matter, and their interactions between eachother. Everyone else is secondary. if there's an antagonist in this game it's Michael or Trevor.

Sasqui
  • Sasqui

Gangsta sh*t

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:25 AM

... I think Rockstar could do better, however, and I'm sure they will in VI.

Got a sudden flash of deja vu; seems like some people were saying that same thing after GTA IV, TLOD and TBOGT.  :) and now here we are ....

Not a big disappointment. Sure, they aren't Tenpenny, but they aren't awful. ...

I agree with that, and I also agree with the guy above that we all wanted to kill Steven fuking Haynes by the end of the game :)  (and actually that was kind of anticlimactic -- I expected a big boss battle to take him down,
Spoiler
, and some kind of logical resolution as a result.  I think that all the chest beating Rockstar does about creating cinematic video games, and their posturing about the importance of story and "1000 page scripts" led us to believe that they really had something extraordinary up their sleeve. 
I was expecting a boss battle for Haynes and Stretch, even though I never really remembered wtf stretch did and why we had to kill him as Michael. Had the ending deaths for the bad guys been better, I'm sure the antagonists would have been looked upon more favorably in hindsight. Not to mention the lack of missions that made me dislike Stretch or even care who he was...

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Hustler

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:40 AM Edited by gtarules_95, 04 November 2013 - 12:41 AM.

You're missing the point. the focus for this game was different than the past ones. This wasn't a traditional GTA revenge story. If anything, the people we play as are the real focal point, it's those characters that matter, and their interactions between eachother. Everyone else is secondary. if there's an antagonist in this game it's Michael or Trevor.

Then why does ending c who almost everyone thinks its the only ending and where rockstar put most effort in revolves entirely around killing stretch haines and devin weston(the antagonists) instead of solving the Michael/trevor conflict?

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:57 AM

Then why does ending c who almost everyone thinks its the only ending and where rockstar put most effort in revolves entirely around killing stretch haines and devin weston(the antagonists) instead of solving the Michael/trevor conflict?

But how would having Franklin (a gangsta coming late to the game) killing either Michael or Trevor have been any emotionally satisfying resolution to the Trevor / Michael conflict?  Much better (the way a movie would do it) is for Michael and Trevor to have a big final, emotionally wrenching, multistaged battle between them. 

I agree that (1) the story could have capitalized on lingering Michael / Trevor unresolved issues. But actually, after the final heist, that was supposed to satisfy Trevor so he did not feel the need to take revenge on Michael, the need for resolution was supposedly gone.  The story could have continued with Trevor continuing to antagonize Merriweather, so that Michael, Franklin and Dave would have to bail him out sometimes, and then maybe mutually decide that Trevor has to go because he is destroying the status quo and their peaceful lives, at which point, Michael should have the primary responsibility to take out Trevor and he could get Franklin and maybe Dave and Lester to help in a final big boss battle to take out Trevor. 

But it seems like Rockstar either got tired of writing story, or just ran out of budget for making boss-level missions, and they they used Devin Westin (who was just a rich version of an over-the-top California-ized Brucie) as a cheap way to close off the story with the three protags in Ending C.  But as was said above, Devin Weston was not worth the time it took to create the cutscenes. 

Just medicore antag writing, I have to say, in general agreement with the OP. 

Mr_Goldcard
  • Mr_Goldcard

Homie

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:05 AM

Honestly, I don't remember both of them...

NinjaWJ
  • NinjaWJ

Just trying to get by

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:20 AM

It was pretty bad. The antagonists were pretty forgettable and and the way you got rid of them was just lame. ONE mission to end the game? That is bad writing. They did not feel evil or compelling enough to be the bad guys of the story. They were kinda just annoying people.

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Gangsta Bunny

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:32 AM

I was expecting Don Percival to come in and start f*cking sh*t up as soon as I heard he was head of Merriweather. Too bad you only get a friendly email from him saying how you made him even more money. I would think attacks against one's personal army would've been met with more aggression.

I really thought Devin Weston was a dick though. I'm suprised more people didn't instantly hate the guy and want to put a bullet through that smug face of his. 

rovert
  • rovert

Los Santos Hobo

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:34 AM

I agree OP, I'm sick and tired of weak antags always relying on his henchmen, why can't they make a physically imposing villain who does all the killing and tormenting and that is hard to defeat?

NinjaWJ
  • NinjaWJ

Just trying to get by

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:37 AM Edited by NinjaWJ, 04 November 2013 - 07:56 AM.

I was expecting Don Percival to come in and start f*cking sh*t up as soon as I heard he was head of Merriweather. Too bad you only get a friendly email from him saying how you made him even more money. I would think attacks against one's personal army would've been met with more aggression.

I really thought Devin Weston was a dick though. I'm suprised more people didn't instantly hate the guy and want to put a bullet through that smug face of his. 

i wanted to the moment i met him, but i did not feel that he was that big of a villain. Not like an Officer Tenpenny

AndrewDeSanta
  • AndrewDeSanta

Republitarian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:54 AM

All three protagonists were the antagonists in their own way...and then there's Steve Haines.

InfernoV
  • InfernoV

Dont you just hate keyboard warriors!

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:02 AM

Steve haines had potential to be a great antagonist but we never saw enough of him and killing him was too easy.

Devin weston was a douche and very boring.

Wei cheng, seriously who the f*ck is this? He was mentioned a few times but did we even see him?

Stretch who?

Anyways, Tenpenny will always be the best antagonist. There is a slight chance in the future he could be beaten until you realise his voiced by SAMUEL L MOTHERf*ckING JACKSON!

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:19 AM

Devin and steve were both ok tbh slick they were both a pair of arrogant/cocky  assholes but did i get the same pleasure killing them as i did with Dimtri? NO! rascalov is still By FAR the best Antagonist in a gta game to date Imo so  in that sense they were Disappointing.

AndrewDeSanta
  • AndrewDeSanta

Republitarian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:47 AM

Devin Weston was the dumbest idea of a protagonist and i really didn't see the point 

Spoiler
he did nothing wrong...and Wei Cheng? Lol. 

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:55 AM Edited by GtaIvFanboy, 04 November 2013 - 08:55 AM.

Devin Weston was the dumbest idea of a protagonist and i really didn't see the point 

Spoiler
he did nothing wrong...and Wei Cheng? Lol. 

he did try to  kill Micheles  family to be fair. 

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Gangsta Bunny

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:55 AM Edited by Cutter De Blanc, 04 November 2013 - 08:58 AM.

Sending Merriweather to kill Michael's wife and daughter wasn't wrong? 

Not paying your guys for the car thefts wasn't wrong?

Trying to commit insurance fraud with Michael's movie wasn't wrong? 

tom_p1980
  • tom_p1980

Semi-Retired Forum Junkie

• Members
  • England

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:59 AM

Steve Haines was pretty good, could have been better tho. The rest were a bit "meh", you could take them out of the story and it wouldn't have even disrupted the flow of the game.

dooshtoomun
  • dooshtoomun

Thug

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:02 AM

Kind of thought that as well. Steve Haines was a complete asshole and I wanted someone to kill him so badly. The thing that disappointed me is that Devin was the final target, implying he's the main target. I really wanted Chris' death to be the last epic one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users