Quantcast

» «
Photo

Clearing things up about non-American GTA's

8 replies to this topic
universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Videospiele sind meine Lieblings Videospiele.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:20 PM

I keep seeing these threads pop up about people wanting GTA games in London, Amsterdam, etc. While I don't mean to 'shoot down' ideas, it does get a little annoying when you see all these people request outlandish non-American GTA games, especially when Rockstar themselves said they weren't going to do it (source - http://www.gamespot..../1100-6414688/)

A new Grand Theft Auto game set in London is unlikely, according to Rockstar Games co-founder Dan Houser. Speaking with the Guardian, Houser said the developer could return to the setting of Grand Theft Auto: London 1961 and Grand Theft Auto: London 1969, but for a new franchise, not Grand Theft Auto.

"I think for us, my gut feeling is, GTA London was cool for the time, but games were more limited then," Houser said. "These days I think we would love to set a game in the UK, set in London, whatever, but I don't know if it would be a GTA game. I think there are plenty of great stories we could tell about the UK, great environments to showcase, great gameplay mechanics that could have a UK bent to them--I just don't think it would be a GTA necessarily."

Houser explained that Rockstar Games has "many" ideas for new games, but it does not have the development bandwidth to pursue everything it wants to. His own perception is that "GTA is America," he said.

Since the Grand Theft Auto series transitioned from a top-down perspective to a third-person open-world series, games in the franchise have been set in fictional cities based on major United States hubs like Los Angeles, Miami, and New York City.

Grand Theft Auto V launched on Tuesday for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, generating a record-setting $800 million on launch day alone. Versions of the game for the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 are likely to be released in 2014, according to one analyst.

Rainbow Party
  • Rainbow Party

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:44 AM Edited by Rainbow Party, 04 November 2013 - 12:46 AM.

Thanks for posting that! Yeah it's a shame but the guy was wise to keep it a little open and not discarding the possibility 100%. I guess it won't happen in the near future though so I'll just be hoping for a North Yankton DLC or something for now.
Maybe another idea they have in mind for London will be awesome anyway but I'd really like a GTA or GTA clone taking place over there again. So, I'm looking forward to whatever non-GTA game they make too.

Pooyan Cyrus
  • Pooyan Cyrus

Have Y'all Forgot About Me?

• Members
  • Mars
  • Helpfulness Award [Concepts]
    Best Concept Story 2013 "Grand Theft Auto: Ultimate"
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:36 PM

@universetwisters: Explaining things like this for people is just wasting time. Another post about this poped up around recently, and "GTA Amsterdam" thread started just the day after that! :lol:

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Gangsta

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:00 AM

London would be a great setting for a game.  I agree with Houser though, that a GTA set in London wouldn't really be a good fit.  I'm hoping the next generation brings new kinds of gaming experiences that don't rely so much on gunplay.

Shmiqq
  • Shmiqq

you know how it is man

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:37 AM

They're a long way away if they were to come anyway, since they haven't done a HD remake of SF VC and LV yet. It'll be pretty sad if they don't.

cj2000
  • cj2000

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:12 PM

USA is the only english speaking country with normal trafic. Paris, Berlin or any other cyty with normal trafic would also be not bad, but not London. Lefthanded trafic realy sucs.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Left to rust

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:23 PM

They're a long way away if they were to come anyway, since they haven't done a HD remake of SF VC and LV yet. It'll be pretty sad if they don't.

Why??? Is it so hard to move on and create new innovative things instead of being stuck in the past?

• ShaunNoWay likes this

W2B
  • W2B

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:50 PM

But GTA: Cape Town would be beautiful :cry:
  • universetwisters likes this

Shmiqq
  • Shmiqq

you know how it is man

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:49 AM

Why??? Is it so hard to move on and create new innovative things instead of being stuck in the past?

Well they made 2 cities HD, people will wonder "oh why not the others?"

They've done innovating before and that was making San Andreas into 3 cities rather than just SF (GTA 1), it's the fact that they chose these iconic cities for the themes e.g drugs in Miami, gambling in Vegas.

Not sure they're gonna just leave VC/SF/LV and do some other place (especially not outside US) just yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users