Photo

The definitive "does body armor slow a car?" thread

19 replies to this topic
BrightonGTA
  • BrightonGTA

Snitch

• Members

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:44 PM

From what I understand body armor of any percentage will slow your car 5% - can anyone confirm this?

If so, it means if you are to have any body armor, you may as well have 100%

Thanks in advance to any replies, before I strip my racing cars of their armor.

GTALegion
  • GTALegion

Leader of the GTAOLegion

• BUSTED!

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:48 PM

I don't know to be honest but I don't think it affects it that much because I still get constant wins with full armor.

Sami Nitro
  • Sami Nitro

Mark Chump

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:51 PM

From what I understand body armor of any percentage will slow your car 5% - can anyone confirm this?

What do you mean, from what you understand it's 5%?  Have you tested it or read this somewhere to get that figure?  Otherwise I'd assume it makes no difference.

BrightonGTA
  • BrightonGTA

Snitch

• Members

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:54 PM

What do you mean, from what you understand it's 5%?  Have you tested it or read this somewhere to get that figure?  Otherwise I'd assume it makes no difference.

Could just be a myth, but on other forums people claim that body armor slows a car by 5% - the armor supposedly weighs down a car and reduces acceleration and top speed by a small amount - essentially the opposite of what carbon items do. People on other forums have allegedly tested this by comparing top speeds at 0% and 100% body armor.

I am asking this here, to see if any of you knowledgeable folk can confirm or refute this.

LeSuede
  • LeSuede

Donde estan las drogas ?

• BUSTED!

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:57 PM Edited by LeSuede, 03 November 2013 - 01:02 PM.

lol wut ?

Body armor is pretty much useless in this game, the tiniest fall takes away half of it anyway (which don't make sense as kevlar doesn't give a damn about gravity).

It is easily replaced by using Egochasers/P&O's/ Meteorites while in cover anyway, and it is that much cheaper. $50 dollars vs $500. I mostly only go for it in survival missions as the extra padding might save me from the extra unlucky bullet or the crazy AI spawning.

That being said, I wish it would be patched to be a least a little more durable. That and lung capacity, I enjoy swimming :(

But that'd be a weird thing if it did slow you down, as I mentioned above it's currently useless so that would make it a no-brainer to go without if that's the case. Don't think the 5% speed decrease is a deal breaker, it's just  that it reinforces the fact it currently serves no purpose, aside from wasting your cash.

xViLLn
  • xViLLn

Rat

• Members

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:00 PM Edited by xViLLn, 03 November 2013 - 01:01 PM.

lol wut ?

Body armor is pretty much useless in this game, the tiniest fall takes away half of it anyway (which don't make sense as kevlar doesn't give a damn about gravity).

It is easily replaced by using Egochasers/P&O's/ Meteorites while in cover anyway, and it is that much cheaper. $50 dollars vs $500. I mostly only go for it in survival missions as the extra padding might save me from the extra unlucky bullet or the crazy AI spawning.

That being said, I wish it would be patched to be a least a little more durable. That and lung capacity, I enjoy swimming :(

did you not read the title hes talking about car body armor

& to answer your question it does not slow down a car

FrEshBrEadStiCk
  • FrEshBrEadStiCk

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:01 PM Edited by FrEshBrEadStiCk, 03 November 2013 - 01:02 PM.

If it does, the difference is negligible.

BrightonGTA
  • BrightonGTA

Snitch

• Members

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:02 PM

Sorry, yes I'm talking about car body armor - I should have been more clear

Muse182
  • Muse182

Homie

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:04 PM

Armour seems to suck anyway. I have 80% at the moment on my cheetah and one slow crash still gives a big dent. I guess it's not an aesthetic thing, probably just takes more crashes to total it.

Trevingit
  • Trevingit

cheese meister

• Members

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:08 PM

if your vehicle is for racing then don't put any on, if your vehicle is a motorbike then don't put any on cos you will be dead before your bike blows up. Armour creates a lot of understeer, its hurts acceleration and braking but is very marginal. 

MarkGTAV
  • MarkGTAV

Rat

• Members

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:10 PM

The thread title is very misleading. I was expecting the OP to have done some testing and anticipated the results.

LeSuede
  • LeSuede

Donde estan las drogas ?

• BUSTED!

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:14 PM

lol wut ?

did you not read the title hes talking about car body armor

& to answer your question it does not slow down a car

I did read the title. It says "body armor". Have you ?

That being said, I can see where the confusion stemmed from.  So if OP meant car armor, then I wouldn't mind if that was the case. kinda funny as carbon reinforced car armor shouldn't add any real weight anyway. But either way,  I can still deal with the speed decrease. It's nothing game-breaking, even in races.

BrightonGTA
  • BrightonGTA

Snitch

• Members

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:24 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Conclusively - If it does make a difference, it's not much of one.

I'm going to strip it from my race cars, just in case it does give me an extra advantage anyway.

Rico UK
  • Rico UK

The Veteran

• Members

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:56 PM

Why don't you do a definitive test on the airstrip with times from standstill to end of runway, both with and without armour. Average the times and compare?

Corrupt King
  • Corrupt King

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:59 PM

Wow I'm winning races with a fully modded baca with 80% against fully modded entity's and adders I must be damn good

novesori
  • novesori

Car Enthusiast

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:05 PM

You need the armor more in racing than in free roam, because you have to deal with bumping motherf*ckers. My Entity has 60% Armor and still good handling.

But I saw myself on iFruit app, that Armor increases weight of the car.

crashhat69
  • crashhat69

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:09 PM

if your vehicle is for racing then don't put any on, if your vehicle is a motorbike then don't put any on cos you will be dead before your bike blows up. Armour creates a lot of understeer, its hurts acceleration and braking but is very marginal. 

is this true?

Jgagnon10
  • Jgagnon10

Rat

• Members

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:14 PM

It increases the weight and it's harder to run you off the road

SprunkJunkie
  • SprunkJunkie

Thug

• Members

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:18 PM

For my offroader a little extra weight should increase traction, I'll test it on my BF Injection.

AzraelX
  • AzraelX

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 03 November 2013 - 06:10 PM Edited by AzraelX, 03 November 2013 - 06:14 PM.

My race cars have 100% armor and it doesn't drop your speed, let alone by 5%. I tested with someone who removed the armor from their vehicle, we went to Down The Drain with catchup off and we were hitting the checkpoints simultaneously.

Not to mention, taking the armor off hurts you in races since your car becomes easier for other people to ram off the road and total. If you want to end up backwards with one wheel aiming in the wrong direction after someone hits you in a race, feel free to remove your armor (with no benefit, remember). Considering how prevalent ramming is, I'll keep mine on.

And removing armor also makes your vehicle useless in free roam.

if your vehicle is a motorbike then don't put any on cos you will be dead before your bike blows up

Really makes no sense, stop crashing into sh*t.

Armor has other benefits besides preventing your vehicle from blowing up, like make it continue to function normally before it blows up. And in free roam, it's easy for a bike to blow up well before you're dead (in races it never happens since people usually reset to the last checkpoint).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users