Quantcast

» «
Photo

How to go about making a mockumentary film?

7 replies to this topic
universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich, so wie du bist.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:07 PM

It's a long story, but I'll try to condense it.

I've got a youtube channel I made a while ago. Kinda like a channel to "parody" conspiracy theorists as a whole. In short, I make up an alter-ego and make videos discussing various conspiracies that almost always have nothing to back themselves up (such as claiming that Neil Young himself is an alien because one of his songs mention spaceships). And between those videos, I usually have something relating to the subject with old 90s rave music playing loudly in the background. In a way, you can think of it like Chris Chan mixed with "Real Ultimate Power" and "Ghosts/Aliens", if that's a way of putting it.

Back to the original topic, I have decided that the channel itself was getting hard to keep up, simply due to laziness and me moving onto other ventures. As such, I've been thinking about "killing off" the channel. But like Neil Young said, "It's better to burn out than to fade away". Considering that statement, I've decicded that instead of simply abandoning the channel and leaving it as-is, I could make some kind of movie telling why there won't be no more videos from that channel. I haven't thought much about it, aside from that it should be a mockumentary thing where the movie is presented as "Trey" going around and trying to garner attention for alien hunting, going out to hunt them, and quite possibly never returning.

My question to you guys is, how would I make a movie like this and make it presentable, and not like a sh*tty middle school film project? So far, the plan is for the movie to be about half an hour long (for now), be a single-camera setup (much like borat), and have a lot of unnecessary and unfitting techno music, much like the original videos. As usual, any help is appreciated :)

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:51 AM

My go-to production tips:

- Aim for half as long, and then half that, and then half that. f*ck it. Make five minutes your max (most people will drop off after 2).

- Take a look at some recent docs to see how things are shot (interviews, B-roll) for inspiration. A recent favorite of mine is Searching for Sugarman.

- use a proper microphone.

- ???

- profit

I'll move this to the expression subforum as well.

Mr. House
  • Mr. House

I'm not good with people, but at least I'm not a racist

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:40 PM

Don't make it obvious that it's a mockumentary or satire. There's nothing less funny than a satirical bit going 'THIS IS SATIRE THIS PART HERE IS WHERE YOU LAUGH'

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:50 AM

I made a mockumentary wayyyyyy back in college.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eobfPRQlxBo

I had some fun but Im sure you'll notice it's a little rough around the edges. :)

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:45 PM

Don't make it obvious that it's a mockumentary or satire. There's nothing less funny than a satirical bit going 'THIS IS SATIRE THIS PART HERE IS WHERE YOU LAUGH'

I wasn't going to be bold and direct about it. Most of the humor would be from the main character wandering about town, trying to unearth some alien conspiracy that has the most logical answer, for example.

KeepCalm and CarryGun
  • KeepCalm and CarryGun

Falling Outside The Normal Moral Constraints

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:01 AM

You could make it look like a compilation of found footage shorts, from sources Trey sent footage to, or sources who 'found' it after Trey disappeared.

If there was just enough of a loosely linked narrative, done correctly you could make his disappearance make some sense.

Or you could just go to San Diego, and start jackin it.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:58 PM

You could make it look like a compilation of found footage shorts, from sources Trey sent footage to, or sources who 'found' it after Trey disappeared.

If there was just enough of a loosely linked narrative, done correctly you could make his disappearance make some sense.

Or you could just go to San Diego, and start jackin it.

That's a thought, a really good one. Like a compilation of found footage. It could totally work, especially with an intro scene with Trey telling all the media "bigwigs" to "pay attention to this mega paranormal sh*t and not those c*nty soap operas".

As far as his disappearance, I was thinking that he could keep wandering around some swamp with his camera man and they hear some UFO-esque noises, prompting Trey and the Camera Dude to flip out and start running away.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:06 PM

Also, here's a link to a demo of the intro scene to the movie. Tell me what you all think of it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users