Photo

10+ years and the BMX controls are still terrible

53 replies to this topic
tom_p1980
  • tom_p1980

Semi-Retired Forum Junkie

• Members
  • England

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:10 AM Edited by tom_p1980, 05 November 2013 - 09:13 AM.

Bike controls are bad, car controls are bad, motorcycle controls are bad as are the boat controls and flying controls.

R* made a beautiful world filled with gorgeous detail then f*cked us in the ass with the Saints Row-style controls. It's like meeting a beautiful blonde model, letting her give you a BJ to find she is actually a pre-op transexual with AIDS.

It looks good on the surface but deep down something is terribly wrong, and that my friend is GTA5.

Best suck it up op, the GTA5 fanboys are not gonna let you get out of this alive, not without raping your thread and calling you worse than sh*t.

The controls should have been better across the board and it is an easy fix, but people now are used to the flimsy Saints Row controls and R* won't change that because that means doing work, when instead they can be snorting lines of coke off a lap dancers tits with the billions of $$ they made from this game.

bicycles?
  • bicycles?

Peon

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:54 PM Edited by bicycles?, 05 November 2013 - 04:00 PM.

this isn't Grand Theft Bicycle

the cars, helicopters, planes, trucks, etc are all pretty retarded too, whether it's the handling, damage, spawning/despawning, lost saves/inability for offline players to save anything that isn't the characters personal vehicle, prices/waiting periods, etc...  there are many examples of the automobiles being worse in gtav than in their previous games.

It's easier to knock your wheels off than it is to dent your doors or sidepanels realistically. Sports cars drive up mountains way easier than trucks/suvs.  Big trucks are stopped dead in their tracks and can't push other vehicle out of their way. There are a TON of other examples of the non-bike vehicles in this game being garbage.

I'm focusing on the bikes because it's an area I'm familiar with and have been hoping for/expecting since gta3.  They could've at least attempted to improve the controls/animations over what was available on older consoles.  The whole game is a joke aside from the graphics and voice acting.

Kifflom!
  • Kifflom!

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:57 PM

the bike handling is perfect imo

fak u its my opinion!!!  :santa:

Foddzy
  • Foddzy

Hay Playa

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:36 PM

I was disappointed by the bicycle control-ability. Yes, it was fun to ride around some and do bunny hops over cars but frustrating in that it could have been so much more fun with some better controls. I think some off-road bmx style races could be crazy fun with better controls, and road races would be fun with better fatigue modeling and more fine grain abilities.

Echolex
  • Echolex

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:46 PM Edited by Echolex, 05 November 2013 - 06:49 PM.

I could go on and on with a list like that, but the bmx controls/animations are something that I've been following/hoping for/expecting improvement on since about 2002.

Yeah you could go on and on endlessly listing personal gripes you have with this game that was not designed with you in mind.

Or you could, I don't know, enjoy the f*cking game and stop complaining about things that you, personally, see as detrimental to the experience and no one else cares about.

Edit: Reading all of your other posts I think you must either now just be trolling or you're a really miserable person who is spending way too much energy being a pessimistic fool.

"The whole game is a joke aside from the graphics and voice acting."

Howabout you turn it off and trade it in then? Bye?

Foddzy
  • Foddzy

Hay Playa

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:01 PM

Wow, so needlessly harsh and reflexively contrarian. Yes, damn those who want something a little bit better.

I think, given the scope of GTAV's considerable accomplishments and freaking enormous scope, better bicycle controls would fall into the category of "cool and easy to add" - things such as an option for hold trigger to pedal, better in-air controllability, and a few controls for things like bumps and leans would make a huge difference.

I find it astounding if that isn't something most of us could agree on?

Echolex
  • Echolex

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:07 PM Edited by Echolex, 05 November 2013 - 07:11 PM.

Wow, so needlessly harsh and reflexively contrarian. Yes, damn those who want something a little bit better.

I think, given the scope of GTAV's considerable accomplishments and freaking enormous scope, better bicycle controls would fall into the category of "cool and easy to add" - things such as an option for hold trigger to pedal, better in-air controllability, and a few controls for things like bumps and leans would make a huge difference.

I find it astounding if that isn't something most of us could agree on?

They could have added little inflatable flippers for your arms when you go swimming.

You know those little inflatable orange armbands that small children wear to ensure they're kept afloat.

They could have added those. And they didn't.

I've had it with your sh*t Cockstar.

Edit: I really don't mean to be one of those fanboy kids everyone refers to here who just makes everyone who complains about anything out to be a total idiot, I just don't see why the Hell so many of you want to spend your time complaining about such dumb little things as this instead of enjoying yourself in the game world you've been granted. It's really easy to enjoy it when you allow yourself to instead of concerning yourself with perceived imperfections. (nothing is or will ever be perfect)

Gauntlet Hair
  • Gauntlet Hair

Professional Pilot IRL

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:51 PM

^The hops are unrealistically high/floaty, and the command is delayed unless you hold the button down first, which for some retarded reason slows you down.

And it's about all you can do aside from spins and wheelies/stoppies, even though the bikeshop menu mentions stunts and grinding

What do you guys think of BMX bikes? I think there great, you can do a lot of tricks with them, and there pretty cheap

They made zero effort to improve the controls or realism as far as the bmx goes, and it's really weird to me to see people praising them for it.

"you can do a lot of tricks..."  really?

360s, front/backflips, wheelies and stoppies...  Wallrides and nose bonks and stuff are possible, but the floaty/slidey controls make it all retarded.

- you can't do rollbacks. You land a 180 and automatically just twist/slide the rest of the way around, or stop and start pedaling forwards.

- the bike shop website mentions double peg grinds, but the only "grinds" you can do are glitch-looking slides

- 360s look good if the gap/drop is big enough that you don't under rotate and slide the rest of the way around once you've landed.

- you can hold a trigger button to 'reverse' but have to mash x/a to move forward, and the instant deceleration is retarded.

- if you just tap the bunnyhop button, the actual hop is delayed by about a second and a half

- you can die from a single crash, even with full body armor

The moon gravity cheat makes it more fun, but you're kind of stuck in slow motion. I've seen a few people say they love the bmx, but then their videos show stuff that's entirely unrealistic and stupid...

I bet it's fun messing around with friends online with them, but "actual trick riding" is bogus in this game.

Who cares what the bikeshop menu says. The car menus mention certain cars being run on windy German roads, other cars having airbags, others having seats with DNA-resistant seating. None of that is in the game. The websites are dolled up to look nice and have interesting, witty paragraphs. Of course they'll mention stuff you can't do. 

bicycles?
  • bicycles?

Peon

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:17 PM

so basically, what you're saying is

14j92bs.jpg

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:55 PM

This has to be a troll thread. No way people are this dense.

B*tching about BMX controls... in a crime game.... really?

And the posted montages already show that you can do a great deal of stunts and tricks with a bike. What the f*ck more do you expect from middle aged white guys and a young thug from the hood?

StephenGTA
  • StephenGTA

StephenDrifts (PSN)

• Members

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:46 PM

I always a massive fan of Dave Mirra and Matt Hoffman pro Bmx. We have not really seen bmx games since those and a little on San Andreas. I have found a few pretty sick street spots and the underground skatepark but need people to roam the streets of gta 5 with and find new spots to ride. I.e i found a banked wall ride lastnight that i could 360 of back into the bank. pretty sick.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:48 PM

Trevor can do all kinds of tricks. Particularly falling off his BMX and rolling down a mountain, with only his chin as a brake.

bicycles?
  • bicycles?

Peon

• Members

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:06 PM Edited by bicycles?, 12 November 2013 - 01:07 PM.

I always a massive fan of Dave Mirra and Matt Hoffman pro Bmx.

Dave Mirra had the best controls and a pretty good park creator.  The Hoffman game had better graphics and some better trick animations, but the controls trick/button-assignments weren't as natural/intuitive.

The bikes in GTAV look so good... The controls and the way the "tricks" are animated being as poor as they are is extremely disappointing

StephenGTA
  • StephenGTA

StephenDrifts (PSN)

• Members

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:13 PM

Yeah man the controls for bmx are doom on gta5 but you can still pull of some decent spins and grinds. Will they ever bring out another bmx game??? *WISHES 

tom_p1980
  • tom_p1980

Semi-Retired Forum Junkie

• Members
  • England

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:57 PM

This has to be a troll thread. No way people are this dense.

B*tching about BMX controls... in a crime game.... really?

And the posted montages already show that you can do a great deal of stunts and tricks with a bike. What the f*ck more do you expect from middle aged white guys and a young thug from the hood?

A crime game with yoga in it.  :lol:

• StephenGTA likes this

bicycles?
  • bicycles?

Peon

• Members

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:34 PM

"Oh but it's a car-based crime game."

that's why the controls, physics, & damage are so poor compared to games from the past 15 years, right?

Shanerygan
  • Shanerygan

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:59 PM

Listen, if you guys want a better physics engine, better bikes, better controls, better spawning and a great crime experience all packed into one thats better than GTA go play....

Oh wait.

bicycles?
  • bicycles?

Peon

• Members

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:03 AM

I saw someone post something a few weeks ago that really rings true, but I can't remember exactly how they put it. Something like...

"There's no element which gta shares with other games, that gta does best."

Yeah it's got all kinds of stuff in it, but it's all done very poorly

"Oh but it's a car-based crime game."

that's why the controls, physics, & damage are so poor compared to games from the past 15 years, right?

Why does the bmx have such horrible controls?

http://gtaforums.com...still-terrible/

Why do the airplanes fly so slow and bobble around like they're held up on a string? (put on cinematic cam and toggle the controls, it looks retarded)

Why do small cars climb mountains better than off-road vehicles and motorbikes?

Why do the trailer tires spin on big trucks?

Why can't a big vehicle push a small vehicle out of it's way?

Go drive any vehicle into a parked jetski trailer. Why can't you even budge stuff like that?

Why is the damage display so poor?

Why are we able to land on the roof of a convertible with it's top down, without doing any visible damage to the car or player?

Why do vehicles explode so easily, and why do those explosions transfer so easily to other vehicles in the area?

Why can't you crush cars with tanks, instead of them just exploding like garbage?

Why do the cars flip through the air like skateboards?

Why are mods like the snorkel totally useless?

Why couldn't they have just utilized a vehicle wheel, like the weapon wheel, instead of the totally flawed "realistic" save/lose/try to find/pay for system

the list goes on...

• UltraGizmo64 likes this

ViceCityStalker
  • ViceCityStalker

Balls Deep Inside Candy Suxxx

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:48 AM

MEH the bikes play like Final Fantasy these days.....X  X  X  X  X  X  X X towards infinity.

HeroicFails
  • HeroicFails

Heroic Since the start, Fail till i die!

• Members

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:34 AM

Pre-order recancelled due to the many flaws in this game, "0/10, IGN, No BMX physics..." fml

bicycles?
  • bicycles?

Peon

• Members

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:32 AM

there's A LOT more than just bmx physics missing from, or just plain bad in the game.

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:44 AM

I used to ride my bike and do Dirt Jump back in the days, hate the bad BMX handling.

StephenGTA
  • StephenGTA

StephenDrifts (PSN)

• Members

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:28 PM

After a bit of practice i think the bmx controls are bang on.. Here are a few pics of my flying about on my bike. 

0_0.jpg0_0.jpg0_0.jpg0_0.jpg0_0.jpg0_0.jpg0_0.jpg0_0.jpg0_0.jpg0_0.jpg

darkdayz
  • darkdayz

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:53 PM

This thread is an example of how people have come to take game mechanics in a GTA game for granted. What other modern open-world game even allows for a BMX, never mind what you can do on it. The handling is great on a BMX in GTA, the character animations are outstanding considering they are only used for one vehicle, you can bunny hop wheely and manage a 360 as well. Why the hell would they impliment any further controls for tricks? There's a line you don't cross and Rockstar did well to not step over it. GTA V BMX is fine. It is way more detailed than it should be for something used so little.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users