» «
Photo

10+ years and the BMX controls are still terrible

53 replies to this topic
bicycles?
  • bicycles?

Peon

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:25 PM Edited by bicycles?, 02 November 2013 - 08:28 PM.

Shortly after gta3 came out, rockstar sponsored an actual bmx team, with actual pro riders.  They had their logo in a lot of the bike ads, and even big logos over riding pictures on the back covers of magazines.

Me and my riding friends were psyched at the idea of such a fun open world game, with violence and cars and all that, with bikes in it.

Then San Andreas came out and the bikes were cool to look at and you could do some cool stuff, but the controls were awful, and there weren't any actual tricks besides wheelies/stoppies and spins. There are lots of cool videos of bike stunts, but most of it is super unrealistic, and it takes a lot of skill to actually do the few good, realistic things.

Later, I bought gta4 specifically thinking it would have bikes in it, and since it was on a new generation of systems, that the controls would be better. But there were no bikes...

And then I bought gta5, after seeing the beautiful, detailed bikes in the trailers.  Except the controls are still just as bad/limited, and now we've got the added feature of dying super easily/unrealistically, even if you have full body armor.

http://bmx.transworl...-jimmy-buchans/

Feb 7 2002

Sponsors: Kink Bike Co., Odyssey, Aera, hanger94.com, Innes Clothing, Rockstar Games

What is rockstar games? It’s a video game company that sponsors Kink. They put out games like Grand Theft Auto3, Max Payne, and Smugglers Run. We all got Playstation2′s and I’m so psyched. I can’t stop playing it.

http://bmx.transworl...tups-rob-tibbs/

Dec 13 2004

Sponsors: Kink, Rockstar Games, OBMX.com, Demon Seed Clothing, Duffs, Odyssey

they put a few of these out for a contest/promo around 2006 or so

2jdhy5x.jpg

35bwc3p.jpg

http://bmx.transworl...ovember-6-2007/

Nov 6 2007

Chris’ current sponsors are:
Kink Bike Co., Demolition Parts, DC Shoes, Duo, Rockstar Games, Square One, Pro Tec, and Bicycle Union.

How is it possible that they paid so little attention to fan input, even through years of sponsoring/advertising to/begging from a specific crowd?

I guess the same way you'd explain the driving/vehicle damage issues and other "mistakes" and "overlooked" basic details...

It blows my mind that people still defend this company so fiercely.

• Ramyhyday likes this

Dope_0110
  • Dope_0110

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:33 PM

This isn't a BMX game, and none of the characters from V, or CJ had any kind of BMXing background so it is perfectly reasonable that they can't do any tricks.

Of course it would be nice to be able to, but it's simply wasn't something to be expected. When that video first came out when they showed BMX in V everyone jizzed their pants talking about ''all the tricks they saw'' even though all that was shown was a few jumps and that was to be expected.

• gunziness and Doland J. Trump like this

Red XIII
  • Red XIII

British and Proud!

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:44 PM

Lol Why would body amour protect you on a BMX? Body armour is protect you from bullets, not falling of a bike haha

• senormidget and Jacob-B like this

RockstarFanboy
  • RockstarFanboy

GTA #2 FANBOY / Loyal R* Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:47 PM

Totally agree, why does the bmx controls suck so much in this Bycicle Simulat... oh wait

• Black Ninja, undrtow218 and Andy_lattermen like this

bicycles?
  • bicycles?

Peon

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:50 PM Edited by bicycles?, 02 November 2013 - 08:52 PM.

I wasn't expecting a "bicycle simulator," I was just expecting some basic improvement, or for them to actually listen to more than a decades' worth of fan input.

people praise the game for the detail that went into it, but point out things like vehicle damage, control issues, or anything else where they totally ignored/made worse actual detail, and those same people act like you're a retard for expecting something more/better than on old systems...

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:51 PM

I like riding the BMX. It bunny hops super high.

bicycles?
  • bicycles?

Peon

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:54 PM Edited by bicycles?, 02 November 2013 - 08:57 PM.

^The hops are unrealistically high/floaty, and the command is delayed unless you hold the button down first, which for some retarded reason slows you down.

And it's about all you can do aside from spins and wheelies/stoppies, even though the bikeshop menu mentions stunts and grinding

What do you guys think of BMX bikes? I think there great, you can do a lot of tricks with them, and there pretty cheap

They made zero effort to improve the controls or realism as far as the bmx goes, and it's really weird to me to see people praising them for it.

"you can do a lot of tricks..."  really?

360s, front/backflips, wheelies and stoppies...  Wallrides and nose bonks and stuff are possible, but the floaty/slidey controls make it all retarded.

- you can't do rollbacks. You land a 180 and automatically just twist/slide the rest of the way around, or stop and start pedaling forwards.

- the bike shop website mentions double peg grinds, but the only "grinds" you can do are glitch-looking slides

- 360s look good if the gap/drop is big enough that you don't under rotate and slide the rest of the way around once you've landed.

- you can hold a trigger button to 'reverse' but have to mash x/a to move forward, and the instant deceleration is retarded.

- if you just tap the bunnyhop button, the actual hop is delayed by about a second and a half

- you can die from a single crash, even with full body armor

The moon gravity cheat makes it more fun, but you're kind of stuck in slow motion. I've seen a few people say they love the bmx, but then their videos show stuff that's entirely unrealistic and stupid...

I bet it's fun messing around with friends online with them, but "actual trick riding" is bogus in this game.

Red XIII
  • Red XIII

British and Proud!

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:57 PM

I don't know if you have noticed but rockstar weren't aiming for realism with this game...

bicycles?
  • bicycles?

Peon

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:02 PM Edited by bicycles?, 02 November 2013 - 09:03 PM.

You'd be saying the exact opposite if I was complaining about how quickly the cops kill you, or about the way jets/helicopters fall from the sky from 'throttle abuse,' or the way car engines/tires fail so easily....

the game forces realism where it takes fun away, and they remove realism from places where it would be fun, and you people defend it at every step.

• RyanBurnsRed likes this

Car Lover
  • Car Lover

Lover of Cars

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:05 PM

I have no problem with the bike controls.  It takes a more delicate touch than driving a car... just don't work the controls like a gorilla beating a drum.

In other words, get better at the game.  Bikes are fine... user error is to blame.

bicycles?
  • bicycles?

Peon

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:10 PM Edited by bicycles?, 02 November 2013 - 09:10 PM.

"User error" or control touchiness doesn't account for any of the things I mentioned...

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

We're born with nothing and we die alone

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:15 PM

You tell em. Some of the posts here on this forum are ridiculous.

List somethings you don't like about the game, and these people jump on you, pretty much flaming you for 

your opinion while boasting their own. It's disgusting.

Imagine if there were no bikes in the game. If anyone complained, the trolls would just come and post sh*t like "the game is amazing already and has so much detail, etc etc"

• boxmonster likes this

DeadZombie
  • DeadZombie

Sons Of Ditka - Leader

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:15 PM

Sucks to suck op

Red XIII
  • Red XIII

British and Proud!

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:19 PM

You'd be saying the exact opposite if I was complaining about how quickly the cops kill you, or about the way jets/helicopters fall from the sky from 'throttle abuse,' or the way car engines/tires fail so easily....

the game forces realism where it takes fun away, and they remove realism from places where it would be fun, and you people defend it at every step.

No I wouldn't, cops kill you quicker to make it more challenging, not because rockstar thought it was realistic, if R* were aiming for realism the cars would handle differently and you would get killed by 1 or 2 shots.

Car Lover
  • Car Lover

Lover of Cars

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:20 PM

"User error" or control touchiness doesn't account for any of the things I mentioned...

Really?  You sure about that?

but the controls were awful

that the controls would be better. But there were no bikes...

Except the controls are still just as bad

bicycles?
  • bicycles?

Peon

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:21 PM

Imagine if there were no bikes in the game. If anyone complained, the trolls would just come and post sh*t like "the game is amazing already and has so much detail, etc etc"

They'd blame it on "console limitations" and then tell us to wait for the dlc...

calambos
  • calambos

Snitch

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:30 PM

i don't care about lack of "real" bmx tricks like tailwhip or barspin but inablility to ride backwards or doing flairs is just incomprehensible for me. even if you get jump big enough on a halfpipe (by approaching it with a wheelie) you can't properly turn your bike around and you always land to far. mid-air rotations are also to slow. it's all weird because you could ride in reverse in sa and easily pull off flairs on sanchez in iv. i have no idea why this regression happened.

bicycles?
  • bicycles?

Peon

• Members

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:19 PM Edited by bicycles?, 03 November 2013 - 05:21 PM.

i don't care about lack of "real" bmx tricks like tailwhip or barspin but inablility to ride backwards or doing flairs is just incomprehensible for me. even if you get jump big enough on a halfpipe (by approaching it with a wheelie) you can't properly turn your bike around and you always land to far. mid-air rotations are also to slow. it's all weird because you could ride in reverse in sa and easily pull off flairs on sanchez in iv. i have no idea why this regression happened.

I didn't play gta4 enough to know that, so I just checked it out on youtube...

god damn, I can't believe the ramp riding/stunt controls are still so bad in this game. Who designed the bike/motorcycle/ramp controls so I can know never to support anything they do ever again?

They focus way too much on the presentation/visuals, and the handling/controls/actual gameplay are either garbage, or degrading towards it. And it's not just the bikes - Why on earth would they not allow a crouch button? And people still act like it's an unquestionably perfect masterpiece?

Tashan
  • Tashan

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:27 PM

I never played San Andreas on consoles but on PC the controls were good and you can even mod it.
I see no point in complaining except PS2 San Andreas

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

My Name Is Notim Portant

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:36 PM

I don't know, I see that you can actually do some cool tricks unlike in SA even though you're not as fast a car now.

calambos
  • calambos

Snitch

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:38 PM Edited by calambos, 03 November 2013 - 05:39 PM.

god damn, I can't believe the ramp riding/stunt controls are still so bad in this game. Who designed the bike/motorcycle/ramp controls so I can know never to support anything they do ever again?

They focus way too much on the presentation/visuals, and the handling/controls/actual gameplay are either garbage, or degrading towards it. And it's not just the bikes - Why on earth would they not allow a crouch button? And people still act like it's an unquestionably perfect masterpiece?

none of this video examples are really good proof that you can easily do flairs/any tricks on halfpipes, but what I'm trying to say is that's all doable if you know how to do it in IV. Neither IV nor V have great controls/mechanics, but i kinda feel that all the mechanics in IV are in one engine (I know that's always how it is, but you just can feel it in IV), when in V every other type of wehicle/transportation feels to be controled by different "forces" :D

bicycles?
  • bicycles?

Peon

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:39 AM Edited by bicycles?, 05 November 2013 - 02:43 AM.

somebody posted this in the gameplay forum a little bit ago...

"New GTA BMX video. Realistic!"

http://gtaforums.com...ideo-realistic/

It's 2013. There's absolutely no way any of that should ever be called realistic, save for two or three pocket airs/transfers, parts of some wallrides, and parts of some nosewheelies.  Bike games on the original playstation were way more realistic in a lot of ways.

Pedaling during nosewheelies and hopping super high out of them? Pedaling during wallrides? Having to pedal in the halfpipes? Those stupid floaty/glitchy hops? Can only 180-to-stop? None of the 360s in the video were spun all the way before landing, but slid around once on the ground. And for gods sake the retarded grinds. Why would they mention doublepeg grinds in the game's bikeshop if they were going to make it so sh*tty and stupid, and not a doublepeg?

I swear to god rockstar is trolling all of us.

scrublord
  • scrublord

Certified Fresh

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:48 AM

Buying GTA for BMX? You're doing it wrong.

bicycles?
  • bicycles?

Peon

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:51 AM Edited by bicycles?, 05 November 2013 - 02:57 AM.

Expecting them to actually improve on the controls, and paying full price before reading reviews/watching videos is what I did wrong.

It's not just the bikes. Many aspects of the game have been made worse, removed, or totally unimproved. The bikes are just the one part I focus on.

Why is the vehicle crash damage [aside from the stuff that slows you down/makes you crash or stop moving] so unrealistic/almost nonexistent now?  Why are the vigilante/ambulance missions gone? Why is the gore the same as 007 on the nintendo 64, instead of as good as it was in Red Dead Redemption?

I could go on and on with a list like that, but the bmx controls/animations are something that I've been following/hoping for/expecting improvement on since about 2002.

scrublord
  • scrublord

Certified Fresh

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:55 AM

Why are you focusing purely on the cons of the game? They majority of the game is an improvement with many new features.

bicycles?
  • bicycles?

Peon

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:04 AM Edited by bicycles?, 05 November 2013 - 03:13 AM.

The majority of the game is an improvement with many new features.

That's simply not true at all.

I'm playing offline only. The only improvements I'm aware of are with the graphics and voice actors. 

But the fact that there's no gore is a CONSTANT reminder that something's missing from those graphics, and a constant break from any immersion.

And then there are the cops who spawn/despawn as soon as you look away for a moment. It happens with vehicles you're driving sometimes too. drive up a mountain, get out, look around, turn back and your car is gone. And then you have the joy of trying not to die stumbling down the mountain, in which case you don't even get to watch the animation of yourself tumbling.

It's garbage, not an improvement, no matter how shiny the cars are or how good the police light bars look.

Some of the controls might be better, but the lack of a crouch button, the fact that you can only roll when you have a weapon equipped, and the way you have to pull up/cycle through a menu every time you switch weapons [even melee and grenades,] and can't punch/kick without unequipping a weapon, all negates any of the other control improvements.

The size of the map, and the all the graphical detail is useless for anything besides looking at.

I expected gameplay, not cinema.

Hooves07
  • Hooves07

Street Cat

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:05 AM

I used to be a BMX rider like him

Spoiler

No just kidding...

Spoiler

mariana_dm1989
  • mariana_dm1989

Mari

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:25 AM

BMX controls are great. Same for all pedal bikes.

Black Ninja
  • Black Ninja

Ninja of PlayStation

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:46 AM

Dude you should seriously shut up bro don't like the game trade it in for another game and complain about that game you like the game shut up dude the f*ck do you expect not to be that guy but this isn't Grand Theft Bicycle there's like 4 or 5 bikes in the game and the bike controls are good and GTA V is better than IV there weren't bikes in IV or any other GTA but VCS and SA for that matter dude it's not that serious

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:05 AM Edited by F4L?, 05 November 2013 - 07:07 AM.

somebody posted this in the gameplay forum a little bit ago...

"New GTA BMX video. Realistic!"

http://gtaforums.com...ideo-realistic/

It's 2013. There's absolutely no way any of that should ever be called realistic, save for two or three pocket airs/transfers, parts of some wallrides, and parts of some nosewheelies.  Bike games on the original playstation were way more realistic in a lot of ways.

Pedaling during nosewheelies and hopping super high out of them? Pedaling during wallrides? Having to pedal in the halfpipes? Those stupid floaty/glitchy hops? Can only 180-to-stop? None of the 360s in the video were spun all the way before landing, but slid around once on the ground. And for gods sake the retarded grinds. Why would they mention doublepeg grinds in the game's bikeshop if they were going to make it so sh*tty and stupid, and not a doublepeg?

I swear to god rockstar is trolling all of us.

You know I ride bikes nearly daily, not a BMX, a dirt jump/park bike, and honestly, It wouldn't be much fun if the stunts were as realistic as real life, Of course they're going to exaggerate them, because it makes it more fun, it's hardly ridiculous, it's just a little arcadey, which is good because otherwise it wouldn't be much fun, you want to do stuff in a game that you can't in real life.

However, I do wish they'd make the controls better.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users