Holy crap is it hard to go back to GTA IV after playing this

138 replies to this topic
American Alpha
  • American Alpha

The Man From Blackwater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:56 AM

Sometime this month I plan on buying a PS3 again to do just that. Plan on getting GTA IV, RDR, and alot of other classics. The PS4 is a deadzone right now. 

InScienceWeTrust
  • InScienceWeTrust

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:39 PM Edited by InScienceWeTrust, 26 January 2015 - 02:42 PM.

GTA IV was headed towards a new direction. It headed towards more realism, psychics and driving, and a darker and more serious story. But all the San Andreas fanboys came out and cried about how "the missions are so boring, i cant drive!, why cant niko stand still in a moving car!" All of these thing affected the way Rockstar made their next game. GTA V. This is the result. Good game, but could've been better. Way better. If there is any advice Rockstar can take, is not to take advice from fanboys.

Yup, they should take advice from cynical asshats like you who want the most realistic and unconventional sh*t in games. Are you also mad that Michael didn't have a set metabolism in game and didn't gain weight after drinking sodas and whiskey? How about Trevor not losing health over lack of sleep? Cars do not handle like they do it IV. Difficult doesn't mean realistic. If you don't like the game, don't come to the forum. If you don't like the driving, mod it and stop bitching. Face it, out of the 30+ million people playing GTA V, you are a tiny, miniscule minority.
  • ItsJustMeSrsly and SmokesWithCigs like this

SmokesWithCigs
  • SmokesWithCigs

The commish!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:39 PM

I still play GTA SA sometimes and it´s ok to me.The graphics and physics are dated,but the gameplay is still good and I can have fun doing stuff I that can´t do in GTA 5(gambling, burglary, basketball, arcade games, gang wars, gang recruitment, using weapons like sawed off double barrel shotgun or flamethrower...).

I´ll also try GTA 4 and ELFC later,to see how they would be after GTA 5

shooting hoops by yourself doesn't count ass basketball

MrDeSanta
  • MrDeSanta

Homie

• Members
  • El-Salvador

Posted 26 January 2015 - 09:00 PM

I`ve seen that many people have problems going back to IV because of the gameplay that feels outdated compare to V but not me. The gameplay is the last thing that bothers me, i still find it very good and satisfying. But i did have problems with the visuals in this game, as i`ve mentioned before. They were mostly related to my new 1080P TV.

This game runs catastrofic even on 720p, let alone 1080p so i have no idea what the hell they put "run at 720p/1080i/1080p" on the box when IV clearly looks the best at SD.

Now when i play it on old tube TV it`s way better, at least to the point where it`s playable but this blurry filter that IV has is really annoying. Maybe it`s the fact that i`ve got used to NG V`s huge draw distance too much and that`s why IV looks so unbeliavabely blurry to me nowadays but i know it never bothered me back in the days. Even after i`ve been used to LG V. 

Anyway it`s better on my tube TV now and i`m currently doing another playthrough in IV.

Strachan
  • Strachan

Team Comet

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 26 January 2015 - 09:18 PM

I have always loved IV, its easy for me to go back to because to me like a lot of people it seems like a more appealing direction of gaming. I mean, I play V and its got its good aspects but it definately feels like a different game. Riding a freeway for exampe compared to a V chopper...its a world apart.

TheJasonGallant
  • TheJasonGallant

Random Player

• Members

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:00 AM

IV is extremely good. I loved this game when I first played it and still love it. When I first played IV I was very impressed. I am pretty disapointed that GTA V didn't take the same direction as IV. The story in V is ridiculous, the driving is good but not as good as IV on many levels. I know it is just opinion but this is how I feel. IV is my favorite GTA and It might stay that way for a while seeing the direction they took with V, I unfortunatly do not think we'll get any serious GTA for a while.

• Miamivicecity likes this

Mr Pickles
  • Mr Pickles

Is Balls Deep Inside Candy Suxxx

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:21 AM

I love V don`t get me wrong but IV still has a draw for me,some sort of special something that pulls me in.

ainsz
  • ainsz

Senor Dickhead

• Members
  • England

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:41 AM Edited by ainsz, 27 January 2015 - 04:44 AM.

Apart from some of the character movement I don't find GTA IV that hard to go back to. I have a new save that's a bit over 6 hours and despite GTA V being newer I still like playing GTA IV just as much as before GTA V released.

I think V took a lot of ques from RDR's character movement. Never liked the navigation controls in RDR thanks to the way your character would carry on a movement and take a lot of the control from you in a lot of scenarios. V fixed it quite a bit but the nuances are still there.

IV controls a lot like III but with a real sense of weight and a bit of delay from controller input which can mess up sometimes. But has weird but amusing animation to boot.

All in all, I can jump right back in to IV with no problems. I prefer pretty much all aspects in IV to V and in the control department, I love everything right down to the gunplay which is the best yet for GTA, has a nice freedback with recoil with simple but effective aiming makes for satisfying combat.

V is some classless sh*te.

JokerSmokerToker
  • JokerSmokerToker

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to slap a bitch?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:09 AM

I played GTA IV online religiously for the past 5 years and I'm finding it much harder to go back to than I thought I would. I definitely didn't miss the more touchy physics as much as I thought I would. Everything in IV just feels archaic now compared to V. At first I didn't like the engine changes that Rockstar made to the series with V but now I see the brilliance.

i know the feels. i tried playing IV to get away from the Online grind of V, couldnt play for more than 15 minutes tbh...

i just want rockstar to introduce cop free lobbies, with no money to worry about, and weapons to pick up all over the map, no bounties, no crews, just good old fashioned GTA mayhem, like there was in IV. GTA:O just feels like forced roleplay now...

IV is extremely good. I loved this game when I first played it and still love it. When I first played IV I was very impressed. I am pretty disapointed that GTA V didn't take the same direction as IV. The story in V is ridiculous, the driving is good but not as good as IV on many levels. I know it is just opinion but this is how I feel. IV is my favorite GTA and It might stay that way for a while seeing the direction they took with V, I unfortunatly do not think we'll get any serious GTA for a while.

i have no clue why people claim the driving in gta iv is better than in v...

driving in gta 5 is so much more fun and user friendly, i f*ckin hated how much cars slid around in gta iv. i got really good at driving in iv over the last 4 years until v came out, but now if i go back to iv, i cant drive for sh*t anymore lol

i honestly dont like to fight the car to get it from point a to point b - drop a gear n' disappear, son!

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Biggest Fanboy 2014
    Worst Fanboy 2013
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:17 AM

Because people are allowed to prefer what you don't.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:30 AM

Because people are allowed to prefer what you don't.

UNACCEPTABLE. There can be only one opinion on GTAF.

But really, the driving in both is good, they're just different. I prefer V's because it's a little easier to have flashy, long chases that look like something out of Dukes of Hazard. IV's map is so much more claustrophobic and condensed, and that gives a feeling of tension that's different to V's open expanses and huge wide roads. It's a lot easier to feel like a badass in IV because of that tension, but the driving is nowhere near as controlled as V's. Obviously that works well for some, but not for others.

I mean, we're basically debating Pepsi Vs Coke here. Autobots Vs Decepticons. Apples Vs Oranges.

• Miamivicecity and drr26 like this

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Biggest Fanboy 2014
    Worst Fanboy 2013
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:33 AM

I know I've always been hard on GTA V's driving, but I understand why people like it. Still I prefer GTA IV's unforgiving, balls to the wall driving.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:36 AM

I don't find it particularly unforgiving. I think, if you were to take the vehicles from IV and put them in V, the driving would be very much comparable at a physics level, but the narrow streets of IV make it feel more intense than it really is. The wide roads of San An would just lend more of a margin of error and make it seem more forgiving. But overall, I think they're actually a lot closer to each other at the core than most people are picking up on.

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • Romania
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:53 AM

GTA IV is the only game where I actually enjoy going out with friends, it gives them some backstory.

GTA IV is the only game whrere I can love (no homo) an annoying guy.

GTA IV is the only game where an antagonist that I personally, as a player, wanted to kill, is present.

And there's a lot more. I would consider a jump from V to IV to be somewhat difficult, but one of my rules is that I never play two games that are open worlds. It's pretty much jumping from one world to the next. That's a clusterf*ck.

TheJasonGallant
  • TheJasonGallant

Random Player

• Members

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:49 AM

driving in gta 5 is so much more fun and user friendly, i f*ckin hated how much cars slid around in gta iv. i got really good at driving in iv over the last 4 years until v came out, but now if i go back to iv, i cant drive for sh*t anymore lol

i honestly dont like to fight the car to get it from point a to point b - drop a gear n' disappear, son!

I'll tell you why I like GTA IV's driving better, because the cars are heavy and I feel like it's more realistic. The physics are better. Sure it isn't perfect but I still like it better. I still like V's driving, but the cars are too light. Just thinking that a motorbike can push a truck or any car for that matter is beyond me.

Cyper
  • Cyper

Liberty City Lover Since 2001

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:12 PM Edited by Cyper, 27 January 2015 - 12:18 PM.

I don't find it particularly unforgiving. I think, if you were to take the vehicles from IV and put them in V, the driving would be very much comparable at a physics level, but the narrow streets of IV make it feel more intense than it really is. The wide roads of San An would just lend more of a margin of error and make it seem more forgiving. But overall, I think they're actually a lot closer to each other at the core than most people are picking up on.

There is quite a difference between them. It's not really related to the architecture. Driving in Los Santos in GTA IV is very different from driving in Los Santos in GTA V.

The first difference is that vehicles in GTA V is designed to be more 'responsive'. Taking sharp turns without losing control is much easier because the game does more of the work for the player. The weight of the vehicles is also changed. You can do much longer jumps with any vehicle and if you are upside down with your car, you can flip it around completely by steering right or left. The grip of the tires is also changed. In GTA V you can drive sport cars flawlessly offroad on both sand and up and down hills.The suspension is changed. Vehicles in GTA V are less sensitive to bumps and potholes. The damage model for vehicles is not neccessary changed that much, but, in GTA V the damage values for crashes have been toned down quite a lot with only one exception - which is falls, whereas if you land incorrectly the vehicle will instantly explode. The same goes if you're using the Patriot and crash into the rear of another vehicle and it might explode.

One of the few realistic changes in the vehicle handling for GTA V is that light vehicles (sports cars, motorcycles) handles much more realistic. Motorcycles in GTA IV did not have much similarity to driving a motorcycle at all. Anyone who have ever been driving a motorcycles know that you don't slide around with a motorcycle as in GTA IV and that motorcycles are extremely responsive. Sports cars in GTA IV had very unrealistic grip.

More than that, the vehicles physics in GTA IV is far more realistic than in GTA V. For me, focus on realism rather than accesibility and 'jump in and play' style of play is what makes games intreresting.

• Miamivicecity and Strachan like this

drr26
  • drr26

But I'm a f*cking raspberry!

• Members
  • England

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:31 PM

I started a new file on IV before I went into hospital, I was able to drive perfectly like when I played before V came out.

I still love this game so much. IV is a proper genuine classic now. 

I always start out with lots of guns by glitching inside a building and the cops can't get me but I can get them and their ammo :rampage:   It's funny to kill the 2 blokes that beat up Roman with a Carbine!

CarlitoDorito
  • CarlitoDorito

R* Defender (it's a joke)

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:23 PM

There's one thing I hate about IV, bloody toll booths!

ItsJustMeSrsly
  • ItsJustMeSrsly

Homie

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:29 PM Edited by ItsJustMeSrsly, 27 January 2015 - 02:34 PM.

GTA IV was headed towards a new direction. It headed towards more realism, psychics and driving, and a darker and more serious story. But all the San Andreas fanboys came out and cried about how "the missions are so boring, i cant drive!, why cant niko stand still in a moving car!" All of these thing affected the way Rockstar made their next game. GTA V. This is the result. Good game, but could've been better. Way better. If there is any advice Rockstar can take, is not to take advice from fanboys.

Yup, they should take advice from cynical asshats like you who want the most realistic and unconventional sh*t in games. Are you also mad that Michael didn't have a set metabolism in game and didn't gain weight after drinking sodas and whiskey? How about Trevor not losing health over lack of sleep? Cars do not handle like they do it IV. Difficult doesn't mean realistic. If you don't like the game, don't come to the forum. If you don't like the driving, mod it and stop bitching. Face it, out of the 30+ million people playing GTA V, you are a tiny, miniscule minority.

All R* had to do is keep all the stuff from GTAIV (except those, that need replacement/tuning...like different vehicles handling etc and such...which cannot be ADDED...), but everything else starting from vehicles, mini-games etc...all they had to do is to keep EVERYTHING from GTAIV and add tons more in GTAV...I still can't follow this logic, when developer think that if you cut something and place something instead of what you cut - you make better game, fresh etc...LOL Like if you keep all those stuff without cutting and add tons it wouldn't be the same! Way to excuse yourselves...For example you have a fighting game franchise with like 20 characters and you have another franchise in comparison with its own 20 characters, one has a sequel where each character return in addition to lots of new ones, another scraps half of the roster and introduce new characters on their place! Which franchise is better? For me first one, because i don't have to deal with half of the roster cut, because i used to all those characters and i don't just want to say goodbye to them and such...Why can't R* see it? ...why can't anyone see it? The more stuff you keep from previous games - the better game will be! And it means much less complaining! I understand that there still will be stuff to complain regardless (like hadling system, other gameplay mechanics, which cannot be altered, but rather replaced since previous titles...), but it would sure as hell reduce all the whinning by a long shot...

• B Dawg likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users