Photo

Frustration with violent game research.

7 replies to this topic
ACidTRIp6o6
  • ACidTRIp6o6

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:29 AM

I really feel like a spammer doing this with my first post, but, here we go.  I'm a communications graduate student and I'm doing my graduate thesis on gaming.  I've been frustrated with the treatment of video games by the mainstream media since I can remember.  It seems that everytime there is a violent attrocity commited by anyone that video games must be tested for culpability.  This inaccurate/informal test is done by siting agression model studies that show agression levels rise as we play games. I for one would like to see more gaming scholarship focused on the artistic/meaningful side of games!

Example: Instead of focusing on Trevor stealing a Coquette and murdering 5 prostitutes and escaping a 5 star WL, I'd much rather see rhetorical studies that look at things such as Micheal being able to truly connect with Franklin in a father/son relationship because he is isn't afraid of ruining Franklin like he is with his own son.  Ya feel me?

Anyways, if you guys and gals would be so kind as to take my little survey I would greatly appreciate it!  (Link below)

http://freeonlinesur...93zfcr7ca362666

If you have anything that you would like to discuss further about my project (which is gonna be a knock-out) hit me up.  I value any and all responses and questions.  

Gauntlet Hair
  • Gauntlet Hair

Professional Pilot IRL

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:51 AM

Took a survey. Good luck. 

ACidTRIp6o6
  • ACidTRIp6o6

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:26 AM

Took a survey. Good luck. 

Muchas gracias, sir.

ACidTRIp6o6
  • ACidTRIp6o6

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:38 AM

Thanks for the responses so far! Y'all have been knocking these questions out of the park.  Keep'em coming, people!

Mad_Maxine
  • Mad_Maxine

ʇnɥʍ

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:50 AM Edited by Mad_Maxine, 04 November 2013 - 02:00 AM.

Games.. are the thing now.

Rock music used to be the cause of bad behavior and violance,

then horror movies,

But nobody seems to have tried to ban books yet? I mean... havent religus books caused more death and destruction than every game, pice of music, movie, comic and every form of entertainment combined?

Anyway yeah.. people will allways find something blame insted of there own responsibility.

BTW I actully filled in the survey.

na89340qv0n34b09q340
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340

• Members
  • Saint-Martin

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:31 AM Edited by Joe Chip, 04 November 2013 - 02:31 AM.

I hope you don't mind the multiple essays I wrote. :pp

Instead of focusing on Trevor stealing a Coquette and murdering 5 prostitutes and escaping a 5 star WL, I'd much rather see rhetorical studies that look at things such as Micheal being able to truly connect with Franklin in a father/son relationship because he is isn't afraid of ruining Franklin like he is with his own son.  Ya feel me?

So more like how people look at movies and novels? There are a lot of video games that can be studied and reported like that, but there are also a lot that can't be. I think most people look at video games as a whole as if they're all the games that don't have any story or emotion; like thinking of all novels ever as Tom Clancy techno-thrillers.

ACidTRIp6o6
  • ACidTRIp6o6

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:26 AM

Games.. are the thing now.

Rock music used to be the cause of bad behavior and violance,

then horror movies,

But nobody seems to have tried to ban books yet? I mean... havent religus books caused more death and destruction than every game, pice of music, movie, comic and every form of entertainment combined?

Anyway yeah.. people will allways find something blame insted of there own responsibility.

BTW I actully filled in the survey.

Glad you mentioned this.  In my lit review I talk about a late 80's Japanese murderer who was found to have anime/manga/figurines all over his appartment.  And so for quite a while whenever there was a violent attrocity anime/mange would be the first thing to be blamed.  The Japanese media made Otaku out to be what our media does to gamers.  There is an important tie here to Columbine as it was the first time that the nation was truly worried about/concerned with gamers (aside from the outrage that DOOM and Mortal Komabt created in '92/93. 

...And dont forget comic books!! Historically, it seems that whatever nerds like doing worries the mainstream. 

ACidTRIp6o6
  • ACidTRIp6o6

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:30 AM

I hope you don't mind the multiple essays I wrote. :pp

Instead of focusing on Trevor stealing a Coquette and murdering 5 prostitutes and escaping a 5 star WL, I'd much rather see rhetorical studies that look at things such as Micheal being able to truly connect with Franklin in a father/son relationship because he is isn't afraid of ruining Franklin like he is with his own son.  Ya feel me?

So more like how people look at movies and novels? There are a lot of video games that can be studied and reported like that, but there are also a lot that can't be. I think most people look at video games as a whole as if they're all the games that don't have any story or emotion; like thinking of all novels ever as Tom Clancy techno-thrillers.

No prob! The more I have to analyze the better, and I chose this research path with the assumption that many gamers would be as passionate about this topic as I am. I would like to see games presented as an art from.  Though they can never be high art in the tradtional sense I think they are so much more.  Something completely different and fresh.  You can connect with Niko Bellic so much deeper than you can with the Mona Lisa. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users