Quantcast

» «
Photo

Anyone else think the Merryweather airstrike sucks?

37 replies to this topic
MeGusta90
  • MeGusta90

I want a cool image under this sentence

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:20 PM Edited by MeGusta90, 01 November 2013 - 07:20 PM.

The fact that it's a flare makes it suck.

Should of been binoculars that temporarily take up a slot in the RPG/GL weapons category, you aim the binoculars and hold R2 for 3 seconds and that's where the airstrike goes.

Right now I only use the airstrike to mess around with friends.

tyrion14
  • tyrion14

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:21 PM

I used it once, it seemed useless.

Hypertion
  • Hypertion

Prankster

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:22 PM

i used it once, nothing happened..

MeGusta90
  • MeGusta90

I want a cool image under this sentence

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:23 PM

i used it once, nothing happened..

Also this^ Sometimes the pilot of that plane doesn't know how to fire the f*cking missiles

Lucius Aelius
  • Lucius Aelius

Loose Seals of LS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:23 PM

Definitely not very effective, I tossed the flair on top of a building a guy was sniping from and it didn't even kill him (a small building without cover too).

..GhosT
  • ..GhosT

GTAForums Veteran

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:25 PM

If you could "store" it, it would be great.

But if you buy it you must instantly use it, otherwise it vanishes and your money is gone. All you have is a spare flare.

FeaRx
  • FeaRx

Trick

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:26 PM Edited by FeaRx, 01 November 2013 - 07:29 PM.

Waste of money. The only time it's semi-useful is if someone is on a roof...you toss the flare right next to the building and it usually gets the job done. Aside from that, it's completely pointless. The flare was a stupid move on Rockstars part.

Sugar Free Nos
  • Sugar Free Nos

SHOWTIME is my savior

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States
  • Best Scrub 2014

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:27 PM

Merryweather in general seems like a useless resource. I have never been in a situation where I felt like I've needed their services. The chopper pickup ability is somewhat useful but he just flies so incredibly slow.  

EliteGamer
  • EliteGamer

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:30 PM

Tried it once, immediately threw the flare but nothing seemed to happen.

But seriously what is the use of an airstrike ability where you have to be standing right next to the target to initiate it and it costs  as much money as the highest paying missions.

Kracus
  • Kracus

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:31 PM

Merryweather in general seems like a useless resource. I have never been in a situation where I felt like I've needed their services. The chopper pickup ability is somewhat useful but he just flies so incredibly slow.  

I was getting repeatedly spawn killed by 3 guys once, called a backup helicopter and it actually worked quite well. Took their attention off me long enough for me to get some shots off and kill them. It also made them runaway and call me lame.

Later I caught up to them again in a cargobob and airlifted their vehicle while they were still in it to the top of the maze bank. They threatened to shoot me while I was transporting them (there were two in the car) and I told them they better both have parachutes. They didn't shoot.

• GTAVTheHeat and Sugar Free Nos like this

Eradicate
  • Eradicate

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:36 PM

Well yeah since you have to throw the flair it's completely pointless. If anyone is within throwing distance they're within shooting distance. Tried it once and was shocked you actually had to use a thrown flair.

Corrupt King
  • Corrupt King

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:37 PM

When i first unlocked it and bought it i pressed start set a marker on the map and waited then realize the person didn't die only to buy it again and realize i had to throw a flare >_>

twopair2s3s
  • twopair2s3s

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:37 PM

If you need a helicopter u can shoot the pilot and take it, so not that useless, and you can get the Mesa Jeep from killing the mercanary driving it

GTAVTheHeat
  • GTAVTheHeat

I can't picture life without a point of view..

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:39 PM Edited by GTAVTheHeat, 01 November 2013 - 07:41 PM.

I was getting repeatedly spawn killed by 3 guys once, called a backup helicopter and it actually worked quite well. Took their attention off me long enough for me to get some shots off and kill them. It also made them runaway and call me lame.

Later I caught up to them again in a cargobob and airlifted their vehicle while they were still in it to the top of the maze bank. They threatened to shoot me while I was transporting them (there were two in the car) and I told them they better both have parachutes. They didn't shoot.

Same here, I called for a back up heli and it gave me cover fire while I got away on foot while in the aqueduct.

I haven't tried the airstrike yet, a friend of and I were driving around and he threw the flare but nothing happened. I don't want to run the risk of wasting 12k.

Other than that there are different services for people who use them effectively, mercenaries seem like a popular one, ammo drop sucks because whatever you have you spend 1000 just to get 200 ammo, heli pick up I use too. Anything I don't like I don't use.

RAS_ZeroZ
  • RAS_ZeroZ

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:39 PM

Will the flare stay on top of a moving tank if you're lucky enough to get it there?

Epi
  • Epi

might be a girl in rl

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:40 PM

0_0.jpg

great stuff airstrikes... cleared out 8guys in 1sweep... thats what you get for shooting at my faggio

• iVoltScopez V2 likes this

Sami Nitro
  • Sami Nitro

Mark Chump

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:42 PM

Pretty much agree with the other posts here.  It'd be nice if unlocking this gave you some kind of laser designator amongts your weapons, that you could aim at more distant targets.  It wouldn't need to be sniper rifle range or anything, but having to run up and throw a flare and then hope your opponents stay in place a while AND hope the tiny aoe on the explosions kills anyone is a bit much.

Several of the Merryweather unlocks sound cool, but none are as effective as you'd hope.  I've used the helicopter pickup a couple of times I guess.  Only really useful if you end up a LONG way from a road, otherwise it's faster to drive than wait for the guy to come in, land, fly slowly to your waypoint, then negotiate the parachute jump down.

Touwe
  • Touwe

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:44 PM

Used it once on a parking lot filled with cops that were pinning me down behind cover. Didn't hit a single person or vehicle out of the 10 or so cars and 20+ cops and I threw it right in the middle of them

Sami Nitro
  • Sami Nitro

Mark Chump

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:45 PM

If you need a helicopter u can shoot the pilot and take it, so not that useless, and you can get the Mesa Jeep from killing the mercanary driving it

Apparently if you do that too often they won't deal with you a while.  Probably only a day (in game) cooldown or something though.

Will the flare stay on top of a moving tank if you're lucky enough to get it there?

I haven't tried, but I should think so yeah.  I doubt the jets will respond to the change though - probably just keep bombing the place the flare landed.  Worth testing!

soldat89
  • soldat89

Peon

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:47 PM

It wud be cool to use the map to lay down a target for the air strike. Like instead of placing a waypoint there should be a red marker that u can place anywhere on the map then BOOM goes the dynamite

RAS_ZeroZ
  • RAS_ZeroZ

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:47 PM

Need this :)

• Sami Nitro likes this

Sami Nitro
  • Sami Nitro

Mark Chump

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:51 PM

Need this :)

Haha yeah - that came to my mind before now too!

NYC PATROL
  • NYC PATROL

"Patrolling and Observing Forums Since 2005"

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:51 PM Edited by NYC PATROL, 01 November 2013 - 07:52 PM.

Have to agree the airstrike is pretty useless. You have to be so close to your target to get the right spot.

Omnifarious
  • Omnifarious

R.I.P. in peace Aesthetic, you beautifully beta bastard you.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:53 PM Edited by Omnifarious, 01 November 2013 - 07:55 PM.

Yeah, they're completely useless... They give you a thrown flare for Christ's sake. If they're within throwing distance, they're within shooting range of you. Not to mention, anyone who sees a flare, immediately leaves the area.... They're long gone before the missiles hit. Whoever at Rockstar decided it was a good idea to use a flare to call in an AIRSTRIKE... Well. I have a few choice words for them. Even the level 10's and the such who don't know nothing about the airstrike feature, run away thinking you're throwing a stick of dynamite...

Hey guys, we're in Vietnam, let's throw this flare for the pilot to bomb the area of where it lands! *Throws flare* *Flare lands 10 feet away* *"Bad guys" are on the hill over suppressing squad* *Whole squad's area is flattened by air strike*

meth.
  • meth.

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:06 PM

you should be able to select the name of the person you want the airstrike on.

having to be close enough to possibly get caught in your own airstrike is ridiculous and useless. i wouldn't care if it costed more money it would be well worth the ease.

Born_Homicidal
  • Born_Homicidal

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:15 PM

Yeah would be nice to have a laser designator (binoculars) instead of a flare..

Never called.merryweather mercenaries because I can kill people myself and people tend to escape then easily, also bounties are pointless because the person either goes to their apartment or goes to a private game so no point

RAS_ZeroZ
  • RAS_ZeroZ

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:39 PM

I've sent MW mercs on at least two dozen people and maybe two of the died.  One of them was taken by suprise because he just finished getting a new tattoo and all of a sudden guys are blasting him from 10 feet away lol.

StraightOuttaGanton
  • StraightOuttaGanton

Rat

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:50 PM

Airstrikes are really a novelty

RAS_ZeroZ
  • RAS_ZeroZ

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:57 PM

How long does the flare last? I just set one and it's been running for like 10 minutes, which seems like a long time... no airstrike yet, but this is an unusual place.

King Jose
  • King Jose

Rat

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:10 PM

They should make it like this: Call an airstrike & set a waypoint or a player where you like for them to drop the missiles.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users