21 replies to this topic
SilverRST
  • SilverRST

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:32 PM

Hi,

the holiday is coming and I can finally build a new PC.

And after 10 years being loyal to notebooks, I completely don't know

which monitor is the best or good.

From what I have read on the internet I would need a response time of atleast 1 or 2 ms.

Ther are lots of monitors of 5ms and above. So can anyone of you

recommend me a better monitor?

The PC will be used for gaming and watching HD movies, it is important for me

to have a smoother FPS or response time.

I assume notebooks have barely or no response time.

I never noticed the black haze like I noticed this on my dad's monitor.

It looks horrible, it has 5 ms.

I do like it if the monitor is 27 inch and 1920x1080, I don't need higher than Full-HD.

And what about the refres rate? I'm sure I'll be getting a i7-4770, GTX780Ti and 16GB RAM.

Most of the gaming monitors have a refresh rate of 120 or 144,

will games looks smooth and nice when it's running at like 40FPS?

Crysis3 on Full-HD and maxed out settings probably won't run at 120 or 144FPS :p

I prefer a glossy display. The matte like my dad has doesn't look that good to me.

My budget for a monitor is €300 the max is 350.

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:05 PM

Response time doesn't really matter as there is very little to no difference.

For gaming look at TN panels

For movies look at IPS panels.

Higher Hertz (Hz) isn't associated with gaming. It's there if you want to have 3D.

For 3D look at monitors that's at least 120Hz. Another thing is not all 120Hz screens can work with Nvidia 3D glasses.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:45 PM

If you do go for glossy, look for anti-glare gloss. Unless you play in the dark a lot.

I recommend a 16:10 screen, personally, as it just feels better all around for the use of space.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Empty Pleasures and Desperate Measures since 1994

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:24 AM

At a scrape, you might be able to afford a 1440p monitor for that much (that's 2450x1440 resolution). Considerably higher than 1080p but you'd need an absolutely top-spec GPU to make the most of it.

I wouldn't worry about 60 versus 120hz to be honest because there isn't really a noticeable difference between them. Latency and contrast ratio are more noticeable unless you're doing something like 3DVision.

yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Poland
  • Best Poster [Tech] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Tech] 2013
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:23 PM Edited by yojo2, 04 November 2013 - 10:59 AM.

There are barely any 16:10 monitors left on the market, so I think that it'd be best to stick with 16:9.

Anyway, if you're gonna go for a 27-inch display, I'd go ahead and grab one that supports 1440p resolution. 1080p seems too low for 27". But it's up to the personal preferences.

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:33 AM

Or grab a 4K monitor

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Empty Pleasures and Desperate Measures since 1994

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:29 AM

If you can find a 4K monitor for EUR350, I'll be absolutely flabbergasted. 

SilverRST
  • SilverRST

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:58 PM

Lol no, I won't want and need a 4K. That's overkill!

And I want a much stable FPS. I'm really fine with a 1080p, I don't need higher than that.

I prefer glossy display, the sun is no concern as it doesn't shine directly to my room.

Most of the sunshine are getting blocked by a bunk.

But is the 5 ms not bad? I don't want black smudged haze lol

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:40 AM

I've been through a lot of displays over the past ten years and can confirm that.

I paid $300 for a Samsung 30" 1920x1200 monitor 6 years ago and it's still awesome (although I'd never use it for work)
http://www.ebay.com/...200-led-monitor

I'll disagree with sivi about the gfx card needed to make use of 1440p - this all comes down to what post processing you use. At 1440 you don't need much AA at all, (or any, depending on taste) which cuts down on requirements quite a bit.

In fact, games on my office monitor (2560x1600) look absolutely gorgeous on my macbook. (Multidisplay)
Which over course is 2880x1800 and isn't too shabby in its own right.

Point is, don't get bogged down by all the marketing sh*t. There hasnt been a ghosty unevenly lit lcd for ages. You'll be happy with pretty much anything if you do a little research on the specific model first.

SilverRST
  • SilverRST

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:21 PM Edited by SilverRST, 10 November 2013 - 07:29 PM.

Yesterday I got my new PC monitor, Asus VK248H.

I didn't know 24 inch was that big! So 27 inch seemed to be a overkill.

I'm quite happy with the monitor, I adjusted the right colors as my laptop has, I'm very used to it so it's kind of hard

get used with the new monitor.

I always get confused when stores talks about dynamic contrast and all. So here is my only one downside about this monitor:

it gives too much light. Black is very black as it should but why does it give much light?

Night and black in movies and games are as black as the monitor and that is not on my notebook.

Is it the dynamic contrast or the cd/m or something else? My notebook is a HP HDX16, it is this notebook:

http://www.notebookc...ok.16712.0.html

That one doesn't give that much light, it gives so much smoother colors and perfect dynamic contrast and soft for the eyes.

Too bad there are no info about the notebook's display specs like the contrast, cd/m and more.

So does anyone know?

I can keep the info in mind for next time when buying another one. Of course not so fast.

EDIT

After reading that notebook website review it is the cd/m that handles how much light there. Is that true?

So I have to find one which has lower cd/m?

And what is the exact definition of dynamic contrast and the regular contrast?

What is the best one to have the same or almost the same display as the one of the notebook?

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:56 AM

Not quite sure I understand the problem. Care to reiterate it for me? The cd/m (basically a measurement of how bright the output is) can be manually controlled by simply turning down the brightness.

SilverRST
  • SilverRST

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:26 PM

Don't mind the rest, I fgured the most of them.

Btw, are there any OLED tv's/monitor? The OLED display is really nice.

Sure the price mightbe high but nothing is for free.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:41 PM

Yeah, and lots of cool thinks like flexible OLED screens that curve around surfaces. The thinness they can achieve is incredible; they had a demo 14" monitor at the local Sony store for a while that had was insanely thin.

SilverRST
  • SilverRST

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:00 PM

I guess there are no official OLED monitors. Too bad, the OLED screen of the PSVita looks really nice.

I'm used to notebook display 10 years so a 17 inch or 18 inch would be really nice and FullHD.

I'm not really happy with this Asus VK248H. It's too dark or something. If I increase the brightness,

the image will look too light. You can't see the black details like in games at night, it is really black

as the display itself while this is not on my notebook display.For example, you can see the details of a weapon

like in BF3 on my notebook display but not on the Asus monitor.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:38 PM

Personally, I'd never use dynamic contrast. It sounds like that's what's causing your issues here. Try experimenting without it and using a monitor calibration tool to get optimal settings.

SilverRST
  • SilverRST

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:54 PM

Personally, I'd never use dynamic contrast. It sounds like that's what's causing your issues here. Try experimenting without it and using a monitor calibration tool to get optimal settings.

You got that right. Too bad almost any monitor comes with dynamic contrast and choosing one the best is really hard.

Can I turn the dynamic contrast off? How? And which calibration tool? What can such a tool do?

TN monitor sure have lots of downsides. It would have been much better I have picked a glossy one. (If there is any)

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:14 PM

Dynamic contrast should be able to be turned off, basically all it does is increase the brightness of your screen to try and make blacks stand out further. Most people have a bad experience with this.

SilverRST
  • SilverRST

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:01 PM

Dynamic contrast should be able to be turned off, basically all it does is increase the brightness of your screen to try and make blacks stand out further. Most people have a bad experience with this.

F*ck. Then I'm in a deep troube with this sh*tty monitor. It can get even worst, this panel has a very bad vertical view angle.

The monitor is placed on my office, it is a pretty low office so the view angle is just.... seriously f*cked up.

This is a big problem for watching movies and playing games.

I should have bought an IPS but the response ms is a problem for IPS.

tonyrose
  • tonyrose

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:26 AM

how about a projector?

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=T7XzyZB6WEM

Prototype.Prodigy
  • Prototype.Prodigy

Know What I Mean?

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:11 AM

Eizo Forris Gaming Monitor.

24 Inch IPS panel. Vivid Colours and Good Viewing Angles.

http://www.eizo.com/...ndex.html#tab02

Everything You want OP.

tonyrose
  • tonyrose

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 December 2013 - 05:46 AM

How about a 29 inch ultra wide monitor?  The resolution is 2560x1080.  not all games will support this resolution, but if it does... the experience is amazing.  Very immersive

Check out a video for how it may look/feel here: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=SrSfPdih93U

SilverRST
  • SilverRST

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:10 PM

Does anyone knows a monitor that is like a TV? Not big, a 24 inch is perfect to me.

I really do not like matte display and other people just touch the display when they want to point something at and I hate it.

Also children too, they just won't listen. So better a glossy display and I like glossy display anyway, I don't have problem with the sunlight,

it doesn't shine directly to it. Yesterday I saw a very nice TV, the colors are great, the glass on it is great too but

it is too expensive and too many useless stuff like smart tv and internet and so on and no DVI. And it is too big to place it on my desk.

The TV is Samsung 32" LED TV UE32F5300.

After 3 months I'm still not happy with this sh*tty Asus monitor.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users