Quantcast

» «
Photo

The final verdict: Is GTA V hit or miss?

58 replies to this topic
TakinThyBacon
  • TakinThyBacon

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:19 PM

I tend to agree with the OP on most points that he makes. 

-Graphics/Textures- I am astounded at the beauty that Rockstar managed to muster out of current generation consoles, the game at many points has left me in awe of how beautiful and realistic it is.

The water is something that I always find myself marveling at every time I play, only to be rivaled by the cities night lights from the air.  

-World Design-  I really feel as though some areas are amazing while some seem sloppy and not very thought out. The Beach is a great area with a perfect transition of 3 different environments, the transition from city to beach to ocean is very well done and spaced perfectly.

The city has some really interesting areas but far to many areas that are just flat out boring and lack the ambiance of the rest of the area. 

The countryside I feel  lacks that special something that gives me the urge to return to, I always feel like I just want to bypass it completely by flying to my destination as opposed to driving through it.

The only real strong point I feel is the fact that they gave us some huge mountainous areas that make for some great fun with a vehicle. 

-Missions-  I am split on, while i enjoyed most I feel as though they lacked that epic sense that we have gotten from some of the former missions of past GTA titles.

I cannot recall any real memorable moment that I thought "wow, that was amazing".

They just seemed rather bland and I feel as though they were overly easy to accomplish, I only recall actually having to reattempt a mission once or twice in my whole campaign. 

-Driving-  This is another spot that I feel kind of split on, although i have had some epic close calls and amazing high speed driving sessions, I feel that they lack that sense of accomplishment due to the fact that handling and driving in general is very easy. 

So to sum up my feelings, I think the game is far to massive to be evaluated as a whole, there are some really strong points and some rather weak ones. 

calambos
  • calambos

Snitch

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:58 PM

Miss. After all that hype and expectations it certainly doesn'live up to it. It's still a great game though. I love the graphics, mechanics, traveling, free roaming and messing with the cops. Unterwater is also extremely well done. I was scared sh*tless when i first met a shark. The story, 3 protags and switching mechanics, on the other hand, are unfortunately a big let-down. It all feels kinda overacted, the story isn't engaging, character behavior is incosistent and the dialogues lack classic r* humor. Missions itself are very short, illogical and chaotic. Instead of keeping you in the center of action the switching keeps you out of it by forcing you to switch in weird moments. It never makes sense, makes the game very easy, but when you get into a shootout in free roam you die very easily(ai seems to have better accuracy when out of missions). With all that switching revolution you can't even switch when hanging out. There's a lot more. Sometimes i feel like they made this game not perfect for their previous games to still matter and future titles to have room for improvement while trying(with success) making this game a commercial hit with making it kinda gtasa2. Shame this game isn't as good as I exected it to be after 5 years of work and 2 of hype.

RPhilMan1
  • RPhilMan1

Now or Never

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:48 PM

Miss.

egoloss
  • egoloss

Adam Santos

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:56 PM

Definite miss.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:57 PM

GTAForums - Miss (SHIITEST GTA EVER)

Most sane websites - Hit, generally surprised after the lackluster GTA IV

And that about sums it up. :)

egoloss
  • egoloss

Adam Santos

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:08 PM

Review sites always play up to the hype because R* will send them free promo gift packs with the game included to sweeten them up. If you judge games by critic scores, you are gonna be helluva disappointed constantly. 

How anyone can say GTA 5 is a hit is beyond me, it's the most disappointing GTA of all time. I didn't really like GTA IV but number 5 takes the piss.

• GMAC Webs likes this

17th
  • 17th

Thug

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:10 PM

No hit. 
Big disappointment. They promised us a lot more. Lack of features. It feels like rushed game. sh*tload of bugs. 3 hairstyles. sh*tty car damage. Broken police AI. Flying airplanes or helicopters is annoying.
At least we know why they were silent in 2011/2012 - because they had nothing to show.

Sorry for that words, but I waited for V for 3 years now, and after months of waiting, reading previews, and analysing screenshots they gave me that - game that didn't meet expectations. V is probably my last pre-ordered GTA game, maybe even R* game because now it looks like they care about money, not gamers.
  • GMAC Webs likes this

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:46 PM

Review sites always play up to the hype because R* will send them free promo gift packs with the game included to sweeten them up. If you judge games by critic scores, you are gonna be helluva disappointed constantly. 

How anyone can say GTA 5 is a hit is beyond me, it's the most disappointing GTA of all time. I didn't really like GTA IV but number 5 takes the piss.

And how about most general gaming forums? Were all the public people paid off to? Face it, people DO have complaints about the game but outside of here, the view of GTAV is generally very positive. This place just flat out hates the game for the most part where as other places love things that THIS place cites as a bad thing, such as the changed driving physics, all the small details, etc.

egoloss
  • egoloss

Adam Santos

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:49 PM

And how about most general gaming forums? Were all the public people paid off to? Face it, people DO have complaints about the game but outside of here, the view of GTAV is generally very positive. This place just flat out hates the game for the most part where as other places love things that THIS place cites as a bad thing, such as the changed driving physics, all the small details, etc.

I think this place helps you realise what a bad game it is by noting all of it's faults. All my friends love it but if they came on this forum I bet they would see it is pretty terrible and disappointing. 

cldd
  • cldd

Rock On

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:51 PM

A hit, you f*ckers don't know how to use your imagination and think everything must be catered to you like in SA. 

egoloss
  • egoloss

Adam Santos

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:57 PM

A hit, you f*ckers don't know how to use your imagination and think everything must be catered to you like in SA. 

''Use your imagination'' is like telling a kid there is no toys so go out and use your imagination. I am not a kid. Merely a response that shows there is a lack of content.

• GMAC Webs likes this

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:05 PM

I think this place helps you realise what a bad game it is by noting all of it's faults. All my friends love it but if they came on this forum I bet they would see it is pretty terrible and disappointing. 

So you're saying by being OVERLY picky and negative, ...they to can hate the game. Wow, that's not a good reason dude, I'll admit myself even taking a break from here for a few days, I enjoyed playing GTAV more, I guess this place just loves to wallow in negativity.

The other side is, I rarely see any positives here pointed out where as most other places do notice them, in the videos and myth busting I've seen they've all came from other places and NOT from here, it IS like this forum just wants to focus on the bad and not mention the good which create an awkward hatred for the game. I don't get people sometimes.

mariana_dm1989
  • mariana_dm1989

Mari

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:23 PM

It's a hit, but not bullseye.

• GMAC Webs likes this

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, I always carry my heat in these streets

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:06 PM Edited by Official General, 01 November 2013 - 10:06 PM.

It was a hit many areas and a miss in other areas that were very important. 

So my verdict is that it was a hit, but not the big enough hit that it should have been. Like what happened in GTA IV, Rockstar failed to realise GTA V's full potential. I think it's slighty worse in V's case, because V had every opportunity to greatly improve on what IV was lacking. In some cases IV did certain things better, and that is why V will not get full praise from me. 

• tom_p1980 and GMAC Webs like this

Mzeppelin
  • Mzeppelin

The Don

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:17 PM

Absolutely not a total hit. Is it great? Yes. BUT.. The story is extremely entertaining but still feels half-assed and somewhat empty even after completion. Point #2 is why in the HELL are there STILL more features in the original San Andreas than this game? The post-story gameplay is dull.

• GMAC Webs likes this

kvic
  • kvic

Hustler

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:20 PM

It's right on the edge of the target.

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, I always carry my heat in these streets

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:28 PM

Point #2 is why in the HELL are there STILL more features in the original San Andreas than this game? 

This is question I ask myself all the time when criticizing GTA V. I will never understand why Rockstar allowed this to happen. 

• AtomicPunk and GMAC Webs like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Boards Of Canada

• The Precinct
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:55 PM

I believe it's a hit but some things grind my gears about the game like no gambling, another modern setting, northern part of the island felt underused, one city and not really being paid for heists. 

Other things that keep me going wow are minute details that can easily be overlooked if not pointed out to you. 

Game is a hit. Moreso than how I felt about IV at the time. 

Also, now I know what the game is like, I shall re-start it and probably do all the collectibles first and try build my character up before I continue with missions and to try maximise profits on the stock market etc. Basically, I'm going to try mould an empire building game out of what Rockstar gave us with V. 

I love empire building but it wasn't like San Andreas was. I loved acquiring safe houses etc. 

Soarindude
  • Soarindude

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:57 PM

I think my biggest disappointment was the storyline. I had been looking forward to this game for 3 years, and the storyline was just... bad. It was a very bad storyline compared to GTA IV, and it was a very bad storyline for any game in general. I was also disaspointed in the interiors of buildings, which was probably one of the most requested additions to the game, and we actually saw less interiors for this game then in GTA IV.

However, I still love the game. I play the game constantly, I get excited to do certain things in the game. But now the only thing keeping me invested in the game is online, one feature I didn't think I would play much at all. I really wish Offline had been better, because Online is really only fun when you have a big group of friends playing. There's only so many times I can go in offline, blow some things up, get in a five star chase, steal a tank, and die eventually.

• tom_p1980 likes this

Immigration
  • Immigration

420 Warrior

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:55 PM

Miss. 

Stealth Broken.

Overly frequent 2 minute + police chases.

Physic Cops.

Overaggressive Peds.

Driving Sucks.

Flying is Atrocious.

Cheats Utter  Garbage.

Retarded Side-Activities (Ie. Yoga)

69 Missions.

SP has no replay value. 

V is the only gta game i haven't played since beating the main story line.

This game was not worth the 5 year wait. 

• tom_p1980 and AtomicPunk like this

v17
  • v17

Contractor

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:13 PM

Miss. Now that I've got over the hype and see the game clearly.

I wanted to love it and I wanted it to be perfect. Which is probably the problem...
  • tom_p1980 likes this

AtomicPunk
  • AtomicPunk

I'm your huckleberry

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:18 PM

An absolute miss in many ways. Very let down by the whole thing. It is a beautiful game, but the map is layed out wrong, the story is weak and makes no sense at times. Too much left out. R* changed their formula and it ruined GTA.

AtomicPunk
  • AtomicPunk

I'm your huckleberry

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:21 PM

Point #2 is why in the HELL are there STILL more features in the original San Andreas than this game? 

This is question I ask myself all the time when criticizing GTA V. I will never understand why Rockstar allowed this to happen. 

I hate to double-post in this thread, but both of your guys' comments hit the nail on the head. How does the original have more? I just haven't been able to wrap my min d around that. This was a return to San An. It was supposed to be epic. Instead, it was mediocre, at best. Too bad. R* made their money, though. And they made it by name only, not content.

Rock Howard
  • Rock Howard

Some Aussie Dude.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:01 AM Edited by Rock Howard, 02 November 2013 - 12:01 AM.

For me it's a plain and simple hit. It doesn't do everything perfectly, but no game does. Regardless it is still simply awesome. Both the single player campaign and online. :^:

woggleman
  • woggleman

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:08 AM

A hit to me despite it's flaws.

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

''Cool it, assholes''

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:15 AM

Its definetively a hit for me, peoples just got their hypes up over stuff that R* didn't tell them there was going to be.

For christ's sake there is still room for improvement too, you're getting a Free DLC in a couple of weeks too! For me people are stuck in some 2004 timewarp because all they do is compare the new GTAs to SA, SA had this, SA Had that, SA is this, that other GTA game is bullsh*t because SA had this, FOR CHRISTS SAKE PEOPLE, IF YOU WANT ANIMALS, VEGETATION AND A LOT OF f*ckING VEHICLES, WEAPONS AND A DETAILED ENVIROMENT PLUS GOOD AI R* HAD TO TRIM SOME OF THE FAT, VIGILANTE WAS NOTHING BUT SHOOTING A GROUP OF PEOPLE AND GETTING 200 FOR IT!

Ape1337
  • Ape1337

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:36 AM

GTAV is a great game and my favourite out of them all. My only dissapointment is the online; I expected it to be easier to get fighter jets and tanks etc to have an all out battle in free mode, similar to all of the buzzard/annihilator dog fighting in IV free mode.. Love the Fort Zancudo laser deathmatches though.

Sneakerhead.
  • Sneakerhead.

☛✔Goals Achieved: 1/1☚

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:51 AM

GTA V is a hit.

No doubt about it.  :r*:

Lil ski
  • Lil ski

Hawai'i 5-O

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:26 AM Edited by Lil ski, 02 November 2013 - 01:33 AM.

Lol u summed it up bro :pp
Every other forums and also everyone I know IN REAL LIFE has the same opinion!

My opinion. It is DEF a hit. No doubt in my mind. THE BEST gta game ever created and surpassed the all mighty San Andreas.

Now...is it perfect? Hell naw nigga!
There's alotta small things that were a miss but it's understandable. It was not Rockstar's fault. Alotta things they had to take out because of console limitations and also alotta things got overlooked in the coding due to the pressure of the time crunch ( and pissed off fans cuz of the delay..REMEMBER THAT YOU UN GRATFUL f*ckS!. I remember how y'all were bitchin back in Jan.)

Trust me people,butchers, complainers alike, and I'm only gonna say this once ok?
Rockstar wanted the same game that you all were expecting but could not deliver completely because of what I just said ( limitations and time crunch ) just be greatful for what they produced with what they got because they have made an amazing f*cking game with stoneage hardware and under heavy pressure of YOUR bitching during the delay!!

TL;DR:Hit 10/10 EGM Platinum Award GOTM and GOTY candidate, Video Game Hall of Famer

EDIT oh yeah, Online was a different story . THAT was their overambitious mark but they are improving it . Give it some time and it will get better!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users