Do you write the way you speak?

33 replies to this topic
StormerBoy
  • StormerBoy

Tribe Leader

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:14 PM

When writing something (eg letter, email, forums, notes, etc), do you wright it the exact way you would say it as if you were talking face-to-face with some one? Or do you word it differently for some reason?

• Ramyhyday likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THIS ONE GOES OUT TO ALL THE RAVERS IN THE NATION.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:15 PM

Of course not. I capitalize all my "I"s in real life, not to mention using proper punctuation in real life.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:16 PM

Well, depends who I am speaking to or what's the context.

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:19 PM Edited by F4L?, 31 October 2013 - 11:22 PM.

I Definitely do not write how I speak, I think most people that paid attention in English class do not, because obviously to get the marks you're going to want to type in detailed description using more uncommon words which can trigger the right set of emotions, which is something that is not generally used in a conversation with speech because the inflection of the speech does that without resorting to those more complex uncommon words, unless you want to sound like an uppity academic, conversely, typing how I spoke would give the impression of a one toothed farmer who uses the slang of todays generation y.

• StormerBoy likes this

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:23 PM

I Definitely do not write how I speak, I think most people that paid attention in English class do not, because obviously to get the marks you're going to want to type in detailed description using more uncommon words which can trigger the right set of emotions, which is something that is not generally used in a conversation with speech because the inflection of the speech does that without resorting to those more complex uncommon words, unless you want to sound like an uppity academic, conversely, typing how I spoke would give the impression of a one toothed farmer who uses the slang of todays generation y.

I like your new name, Fññlfhfh4l€. Kinda hard to write, tho.

StormerBoy
  • StormerBoy

Tribe Leader

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:25 PM

Well a lardydar to you :p
  • F4L? likes this

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:29 PM

I like your new name, Fññlfhfh4l€. Kinda hard to write, tho.

Personally I feel as though it is an abhorrent mistake, an eyesore, I was simply changing the "f" into an "F" and look what happened. In 12 months perhaps i'll revert back, or perhaps i'll be dead, haha.

• Adler likes this

Lucchese
  • Lucchese

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:29 PM

Does this include accents?

If so, being Scottish, you people would have an extremely, extremely tough time understanding my writings.

• xXGst0395Xx likes this

xXGst0395Xx
  • xXGst0395Xx

Boss

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:41 PM

Maybe I can be somewhat more intelligent when I type, and a bit calmer in the case of frustrating situations.

na89340qv0n34b09q340
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:45 PM Edited by Joe Chip, 31 October 2013 - 11:46 PM.

In real life I'm quiet (can't speak up for the life of me) and don't like to be considered in decisions; with family and close friends I like to joke and goof around through most of my conversations, and I feel incredibly shallow for it all the time; and online I like to try to add to the conversation, even if I don't have much to add.

Probably has something to do with mood.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:47 PM

If I wrote like I talked I'd use a ton more ellipses and hyphens(then I normally do 'round here)...oh and curse way more too.

I believe there is a level of conversational typing that is and has been evolving over the past bunch of years.

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:50 AM Edited by Lazyboy., 01 November 2013 - 12:51 AM.

On the internet I have time to google sh*t and make sure I'm not making an ass of myself when I'm arguing with someone.

In real life however, I either tell them to shut the f*ck up or ramble on incoherently and pretend to sound like I know what I'm talking about.
  • VitalEcho likes this

Vlynor
  • Vlynor

Я не говорю

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:12 AM

Not really. I type more proper than I speak.

Ermac.
  • Ermac.

watermelon sarcasm

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:03 AM

Nope. I have a hard time putting what i'm thinking into text than into actual words for some reason. It makes sense when it comes out of my mouth, but on paper/cpu screen, it looks like sh*t.

Mad_Maxine
  • Mad_Maxine

ʇnɥʍ

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:09 AM

I type like I speek, But Im not very good at spelling or grammer,

But yeah, Id say somethin aint right, Rather than going and saying, That is not right,

So yeah, you dont like that? dont read none of my posts. No problem.

Human

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:15 AM

No, when I type I usually think out what i'm about to say. When I talk I just say things I shouldn't and offend everyone. It isn't intentional though.

The Pizza Delivery Guy
  • The Pizza Delivery Guy

If You Know What I Mean

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:46 AM

I sometimes try to speak like I type, but it never happens. I st-t-t-tutter like Porky f*cking Pig when I talk to anyone. On the internet I can type as if I have half my brain cells.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:34 AM

I'm don't type exactly like how a speak. I Elaborate my when I type. I do usually speak as bluntly as I do here when something or somebody annoys me. Not rage, but you know.

MIGta
  • MIGta

• Members
  • England

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:44 PM

Initially yes.  But when typing I can re read what I've typed and correct it and make it better.  Not much you can do when you talk sh*t.

Girish
  • Girish

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:41 PM

Most Indians that you'll come across are much better at written English than spoken. I'm no different. Our phonetics are all messed up because schools here emphasize more on grammar than pronunciation. I'm sure more than half the people in my country will have trouble breaking up words into syllables, but they'll be pretty darn good when it comes to putting pen to paper.

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

Homie

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:25 PM Edited by Libertyking, 01 November 2013 - 05:25 PM.

In Quebec's English classes in school, we're encouraged to write as we speak, as we're evaluated on the contracted form of words. For example, I've got a better score on a text I wrote the way I talk than when I wrote without any contracted form. So yeah, I write the way I speak.

Tyler
  • Tyler

This is gonna take crackerjack timing, Wang.

• Unknown
  • Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:48 PM

I curse like a sailor and I'd rather not let that spill over into writing when it's not warranted. I also impersonate caricatures and people from time to time and that never translates well onto the computer screen.

MrPeteyMax
  • MrPeteyMax

DON'T TOUCH ME YOU FILTHY CASUAL

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:27 PM

chea' nigga i spek da way i spek in real lyfe i aint no pussy computa biyatch

Trinette
  • Trinette

lean on me. so you wont. stray your neck.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Unknown

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:18 PM

I use very similar words and the proper way of using them when I speak them as I do write them.

So in a way I do, but  not precisely. :ph34r: :ph34r: 

Tacymist
  • Tacymist

Onward towards the fright

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:43 PM

Nah, I f*ck up a lot in my speech and it comes out sounding like one of Ozzy Osbourne's mumblings. 

mariana_dm1989
  • mariana_dm1989

Mari

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:21 PM

the exact same way

ShadowDog94
  • ShadowDog94

Gaming since '94

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:42 PM

Nah, when I write online I tend to use ''American'' terms, rather than the Irish slang I use in real life. 

PaletoChickenCapo
  • PaletoChickenCapo

Neunundneunzig Luftballons

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:58 PM

My English grammar isn't good when I write (maybe you've noticed), but I suck even more to speak. I have a slight lisp, and I can't really notice it when I speak Norwegian (my second language), but it really f*cks up my English. 

I usually have a very slight Norwegian accent when I speak.

• Alex Francisco likes this

Grand Theft Savage
  • Grand Theft Savage

'Bout that life

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:34 AM Edited by Grand Theft Savage, 02 November 2013 - 05:34 AM.

When writing something (eg letter, email, forums, notes, etc), do you wright it the exact way you would say it as if you were talking face-to-face with some one? Or do you word it differently for some reason?

Not even close. I once emailed someone and they thought I was white. They were surprised to see that I look and sound like a straight up hoodlum

ASIAN LAWYER
  • ASIAN LAWYER

Trick

• Members

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:25 AM Edited by ASIAN LAWYER, 02 November 2013 - 11:35 AM.

I type like I think. This probably explains why I'm a clumsy writer.

Edit: Exhibit A, is it "type" or "write"? Goddammit, told you I was clumsy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users