Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:07 PM

It would be 9 big

• ShinobiFixer likes this

user14
  • user14

Prankster

• Members

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:09 PM

just cause 2 had big map with HD graphics.

CatDog96
  • CatDog96

Dayman

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:11 PM

Imagine how much bigger that map could be with N64 graphcis it would be 11 big

• DeafMetal likes this

Chekoloco
  • Chekoloco

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:12 PM

Just Cause S**cks!!!

• lol232 likes this

Lelouch vi Britannia
  • Lelouch vi Britannia

Zero

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:13 PM

True that. And people said the game was boring. Boring? I had hours of fun with that game. I'm even considering buying it again. Some people just don't like action packed games I guess. I like how you could surf on top of a plane. That was pretty damn cool.

nuer
  • nuer

• Members

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:35 PM

True that. And people said the game was boring. Boring? I had hours of fun with that game. I'm even considering buying it again. Some people just don't like action packed games I guess. I like how you could surf on top of a plane. That was pretty damn cool.

Shooting mechanics and the story sucked. They need to release JC3 soon.

Lelouch vi Britannia
  • Lelouch vi Britannia

Zero

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:37 PM

I hope you know that the game is a parody of cheesy 80s action movies.

IceHot100
  • IceHot100

Out of Order

• Members

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:38 PM

It was never for the story. It was fun, in general. An intense action-packed story, where you can pretty much do anything. What else do you want? :3

spamtackey
  • spamtackey

Business Socks

• Members

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:39 PM

The problem I had with Just Cause 2 was that most places looked the same. They made like one version of everything and copy/pasted it everywhere. "Oh there's that water tower I blew up about 500 of... oh hey another silo to blow up... oh hey more propaganda stands!" The city areas were a little interesting, but I would definitely not say it was anywhere near as interesting as the GTA maps. I'd rather have a smaller map with more detail than the same thing copy/pasted to make a huge world. 

woggleman
  • woggleman

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:40 PM

JC is a good game but a lot of it is cope and paste. In V every area looks different.

Lelouch vi Britannia
  • Lelouch vi Britannia

Zero

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:43 PM

Don't know if anybody remembers, but Spider-Man 3 on the PS2 had every building copy and pasted on every street. it was the same sh*t through and through no matter where you went. Like the pizza shop for instance, there'd be like 6 of them on the same damn street. That's Activision for you.

spamtackey
  • spamtackey

Business Socks

• Members

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:45 PM

Don't know if anybody remembers, but Spider-Man 3 on the PS2 had every building copy and pasted on every street. it was the same sh*t through and through no matter where you went. Like the pizza shop for instance, there'd be like 6 of them on the same damn street. That's Activision for you.

Never played 3 on the PS2, but I played 2 on the gamecube. DId they actually manage to do worse than that? I mean, they already had a pretty cool looking New York for 2, why use copy/paste buildings?

Lelouch vi Britannia
  • Lelouch vi Britannia

Zero

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:50 PM Edited by TensaZangetsu, 31 October 2013 - 11:54 PM.

Never played 3 on the PS2, but I played 2 on the gamecube. DId they actually manage to do worse than that? I mean, they already had a pretty cool looking New York for 2, why use copy/paste buildings?

Well mainly because they were more focused on a next gen Spider-Man game at the time, so they put more effort into the next-gen version. The Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of the game were very detailed, much more so even on PC. Everything looked really different all around the city, much like how IVs Liberty City did. But on the PS2 version, it was like a dumbed down version of Spider-Man 2  with nothing original at all. Just the same copy and pasted buildings through the whole map. Is it realistic for there to be a f*cking pizza shop on every corner of the same damn street? No. Not only that, even the laundromats, about 4 of them on the same damn street. Couldn't they have just used the Spider-Man 2 map instead? That map was perfect. Not to mention, you can't even go to Liberty Island on SM3! I mean why take an awesome part of the map out of the game? I loved hanging on helicopters in SM2 to get to the Liberty Island. That was awesome.

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:58 PM

The problem I had with Just Cause 2 was that most places looked the same. They made like one version of everything and copy/pasted it everywhere. "Oh there's that water tower I blew up about 500 of... oh hey another silo to blow up... oh hey more propaganda stands!" The city areas were a little interesting, but I would definitely not say it was anywhere near as interesting as the GTA maps. I'd rather have a smaller map with more detail than the same thing copy/pasted to make a huge world. 

This this this this. Just Cause 2 has a much bigger map yes but what does it matter when the entire map is less detailed a single city square block in GTA 5.

Then there's the insane AI interaction that you can do between talking to random peds and messing with them. The incredibld physics engine that allows you to shoot destroy move etc virtually every object in the world.

And my personal opinion coming from someone who is all about graphics and game engines (look at my main rig specs in my signature) Rockstar's game engines are damn amazing. Beautiful graphics in a world that really feels alive. Just Cause 2 and really any other free roam game can never touch the world Rockstar creates.

spamtackey
  • spamtackey

Business Socks

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:00 AM

This this this this. Just Cause 2 has a much bigger map yes but what does it matter when the entire map is less detailed a single city square block in GTA 5.

Then there's the insane AI interaction that you can do between talking to random peds and messing with them. The incredibld physics engine that allows you to shoot destroy move etc virtually every object in the world.

And my personal opinion coming from someone who is all about graphics and game engines (look at my main rig specs in my signature) Rockstar's game engines are damn amazing. Beautiful graphics in a world that really feels alive. Just Cause 2 and really any other free roam game can never touch the world Rockstar creates.

I believe I've said it before: but if Rockstar decided to stop making full games they could probably make a ton of money just making game worlds for other games. No one else rivals them in it. 

• JonRenemy likes this

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:02 AM

Detail over size any day. I would happily have the map halved in size if there was unique ways to get on to more buildings, little ledges and garbage cans and such, and be able to jump across them, that'd be awesome.

dave4242
  • dave4242

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:23 AM

You could still have the same level of detail in terms of number of objects and stuff, but a lower resolution and awful textures would allow for a monstrous map. I would love to see a game like that. I think you would get used to the sh*t graphics if it was the only game you were playing at the time.

Tilemaxx
  • Tilemaxx

I Run This Town

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:33 AM

Here's your N64 GTA:

ShinobiFixer
  • ShinobiFixer

way of the snake

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:29 AM

It would have more songs, more criminal side-activities, more gameplay.  This is why I hate when developers focus on graphics.

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:25 AM

N64 master race

• CatDog96 likes this

Mr. Rocko
  • Mr. Rocko

Beep.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:45 AM

Just Cause S**cks!!!

Not really.

Slave Boy
  • Slave Boy

Minion

• The Connection
  • Finland
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2014
    Most Talented GFX Artist 2014
    Most Talented GFX Artist 2013

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:05 AM

Imagine how poorly that game would sell.

bicycles?
  • bicycles?

Peon

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:53 PM

they DID use n64 graphics, for the gore.  Compare the n64 007 game to the "gore" in gtaV.

And what good is the insane detail in gtaV when the police/gameplay mechanics are so sh*tty?

The only thing all that detail is good for is looking at. And it's all hollow, uninteractive, and lifeless. It's supposed to have been a videogame, not a movie.

I was going to make a jc2 comparison thread but didn't. I'll copy/paste it here...  The world is more cartoonish, but it's nowhere near as restrictive, and the explosions are more realistic - better looking and don't travel from vehicle to vehicle for no reason, etc...

jc2 vs gtav (right corner) - the scale is correct.

2ihugt4.jpg

the cities/bases were all copy/pasted mirrors of each other, and much less visually detailed, but there was more actual GAMEPLAY and fun.

And the police didn't just repetitively spawn into/out of thin air, you could actually see them coming from a distance.

And you could ride/surf vehicles.

And the planes handled realistically - actually needing runway space for takeoffs/landings, not falling out of the air when you release the controls, not bobbling around like they're held up on a string, etc...

And the helicopters were fun to fly, not a chore you had to learn.

And you could fire cannons/machine guns at the same time.

And you could select personal weapons without pulling up/cycling through a menu, and use the melee without first uneqipping a weapon/equipping your hand.

And you had roving gangs shooting it out with your enemies/coming to your assistance, and surface to air missiles firing from bases you took over at enemy choppers.

And a ton of other things that were better/more fun/more intuitive than gtav.

that game came out 3 years ago and didn't require an internet connection. The ps3 version also had a pretty nice record/replay feature. 

gtav was essentially a 60 dollar demo disk.

At the beginning of the video you can see a helicopter nearing in the background, unlike GTAV where they always just spawn within your line of sight.

You can also see an orange marker indicating a Surface to Air Missile heading for that helicopter. You don't just have crews of guys on your side cruising around shooting it out with the enemy in jc2 - If you leave the SAMs in place while taking over bases, they'll be turned against your enemy's choppers. They don't always hit, but it's very entertaining, and there's almost no draw distance.

Whereas gtaV doesn't even have real gang wars now and has horrible, repetitive chopper spawning.

It's so nice being able to hijack vehicles as soon as they're within a hundred feet or so, and it's soooo nice being able to ride them, and it's nice (and very basic) being able to use different singular buttons for different weapons.

In GTAV you have to trudge up to a vehicle without getting shot, run over, killed by a mountain lion, etc... and there's no guarantee that you can even drive them, and you can't ride/surf 99% of them - Try to stand in a pickup bed, even, and the gate falls down, dumping you out. That's not realistic or fun, at all.

And the weapons cycling is just stupid. If you're using a pistol, and you end up close to someone, you can't just push a different button to punch/kick them, you have to pull up the weapon wheel and equip your hand. Same with grenades, whereas jc2 just has a grenade button, a melee button, and a fire button, with easy, instant switches/no menus in between.

And all the weapons you're carrying are displayed on your body. GTAV puts on this air of 'realism' and makes you traverse the map to find vehicles, and if you lose them they're gone until you find them again, but they don't even display the stuff your character is carrying.

There are so many more examples...

GTAV has more realistic graphics, for sure (aside from the explosions and some other effects,) but it seems to be going for a simulator/role playing feel, but is very inconsistent with where/how the "realism" is applied.

They apply it to places where it takes fun away (dying almost instantly, getting up slow, expenses/losses, etc) and remove it from places where it would be fun (gore, vehicle damage, much of the controls, etc) while JC2 is *all* about fun.

copy/pasted JC2 pros list from another thread

- being able to exit/mount/stick to the roofs of vehicles with one push of a button, even vehicles in the distance, helicopters, and airplanes. My favorite thing to do in any game is just ride the cars around shooting at stuff, and this game is perfect for it. There's a train you can ride in gta, but it gets boring quick if you're not playing online, and there are trucks you can ride for a bit, but not long.

- *A crouch button* and much better cover on natural stuff, whereas gta only allows you to cover on set, predesignated spots, and will often stand you up when you meant to crouch and vice versa. Gta doesn't give you control of what you want to duck behind.

- singular roll button. (gta5 requires a weapon equipped, holding one button, pressing another)

- much better/faster swimming, and you can use the grappling hook to get out anywhere instead of gta where you're mashing a button and steering like sh*t for 3 minutes to find a ladder or something else low enough/predesignated for you to interact with.

- singular/separate gun, grenade and melee buttons - no wheel to pull up and cycle through, and the weapons are displayed on your body

- SO much more fun and convenient being able to quickly parachute across the map and just grapplehook onto anything you see, instead of, in gta, having to slowly/clumsily mash buttons until you find a ladder or an interactive ledge to climb on, IF you can climb on something.

- getting into and out of vehicles is better. You can exit them at speed without dying, and the parachute makes it amazing. In gta they force 'realism' in some spots, one of them being car ignitions. Press a button to get in a car and go, and then wait 4-10 seconds before you can actually move. Frustrating.

- The controls, from cover to combat, are just so much more dynamic and less scripted, whereas in gta almost everything is an animation that you engage, but don't actually control.

- the airdrops in jc2 are much more convenient than driving across the gta map to different stores.

- The driving is more realistic as far as traction, things you can and can't drive over, and actual difference in handling between different vehicles, and a lot of the crashes/flips, and even body damage in some cases, are much better/more realistic than gta

- the vehicles in jc2 aren't perfect, but the handling is lightyears ahead of gta5. Gta vehicle handling is worse than any decent ps2 game I played in any genre they're emulating.

- The explosions in jc2 are, to me, much better looking and they don't spread as cartoonishly.

- jc2, even without an internet connection, has a replay feature that allows HOURs of gameplay recording, and you have all kinds of playback controls, including forward/backward slowmo.  
   Gta doesn't even allow the in game cellphone camera to save pictures if you don't have an internet connection. It's horsesh*t

- the sky diving in jc2 is a lot less sluggish and floaty, and the parchute is more floaty and less heavy... better freedom of movement, more fun.

- I personally believe the skylines look better in jc2, and the map looks better from the air. Gta has AMAZING water graphics, but there's just something drab about how it all looks from the sky.

- the grappling hook is a game winner on it's own. You can't even push or grab the nonplayable characters in gta5, and most of them die after one punch.

- the planes in jc2 actually require runway space to take off and land, and handle much more realistically/don't flop around like toys on strings.

- the helicopters in jc2 handle much better, and you can use both weapons at the same time. I've never been in one in real life so I don't know what "realistic" would feel like, but there's no question it's better/more manageable/more fun than in gta.

- in jc2 you can do missions any way you want to, take any route/vehicle you want, shoot any of the characters, etc...

- the enemy forces might not be as 'smart' and challenging as in gta, but they don't just spawn out of nowhere, and then disappear into nowhere.

- in jc2 you've got other 'gangs' driving around shooting it out with your enemy, and they come and back you up, and you can ride around on their vehicles shooting at/using your grappling hook on pursuers.  Sometimes your comrades will take a helicopter you set down and you can follow them around as they shoot your enemy... Where are your gangs in gta5?

In gtaV a punch kills a person the same as a single bullet to the foot from any gun.  In JC2 the weapons upgrades actually noticeably affect the strength and ammo capacity of the guns, they have different sounds, and they're all noticeably different from each other.

There are so many ways that JC2 beats gtav, it's so frustrating when people justify gta's missing features with "console limitations"

• RPhilMan1 likes this

bicycles?
  • bicycles?

Peon

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:57 PM Edited by bicycles?, 01 November 2013 - 01:00 PM.

There are a ton of videos showing how good the game looks, just search for "just cause beautiful" or anything like that. The copy/pasted city structures don't matter, because there are years' worth of gameplay/freeplay/replayability in between it all, and all that detail in gtaV is flat out useless with all the other immersion-breaking garbage they included/things they left out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNaDH7XV5xQ

DaWiesel
  • DaWiesel

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:19 PM

V is miles better than JC 2.

V's map isn't as bland and boring as JC 2's map. They copy-paste way too much, way to repetitive. Mechanics were terrible, same as vehicle handling. Graphics were okay, but V's are superior of course. I played it for like ten hours, I was extremely disappointed at the end. If they do JC 3 I hope they focus more on detail and less on size.

It's beyond me how people could praise the map of JC 2, it's huge but there's almost nothing to do compared to V's map. I guess other open world games are allowed to be bland and boring.

j.hunt
  • j.hunt

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:36 PM

pleople saying that JC2 is better than GTAV (or even good at all) makes me really sick.

• DeafMetal likes this

bicycles?
  • bicycles?

Peon

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:37 PM Edited by bicycles?, 01 November 2013 - 02:42 PM.

do you only play games for the missions/trophies?  I didn't like jc2 at first, but once I got used to it, I've gotten 3 years of good freeplay out of it.

"Freeplay" in gta5 isn't even in the same ballpark.

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:42 PM Edited by DeafMetal, 01 November 2013 - 02:43 PM.

Mario Kart 64 > GTA V, TLoU, RDR, JC2, SR series, GTA IV combined

Glorious n64 master race

049.png

M0B5TA
  • M0B5TA

#swag yolo lolz

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:47 PM

rrla.jpg

gta16.jpg

GTA-5-SNES.png

• DeafMetal likes this