Quantcast

» «
Photo

Idea for an awesome open world gameplay feature!

10 replies to this topic
DisasterMaster13
  • DisasterMaster13

Anarky Bitches!

• Members

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:28 PM

I was thinking of an interesting idea open world games can use. While your walking around you can listen in on npc's conversations. But depending on the conversation it could unlock a special random mission.

Example: Say 2 npc's are talking about a child who went missing near the local store. This will generate an event near the store where you can investigate and find clues in the area to find out where the child is and who abducted them. You then go to the location and kill the people who are holding the child before taking them to their family.

This could truly add a sense of non-linearity to games!

What do you think?

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Zaibatsu
  • Japan

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:59 PM

Been done before. I believe Skyrim had something similar to it, you could overhear specific conversations and you'd be given a mission to do. Even GTAV, I once heard someone asking for help, got a new blip in the map, went there, it was a trap etc. Small thing, but still similar to what you say.

It might add a sense of non-linearity, but most players will still perceive it as scripted anyway, specially in games that try to be realistic.

DisasterMaster13
  • DisasterMaster13

Anarky Bitches!

• Members

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:50 PM Edited by DisasterMaster13, 31 October 2013 - 10:50 PM.

Been done before. I believe Skyrim had something similar to it, you could overhear specific conversations and you'd be given a mission to do. Even GTAV, I once heard someone asking for help, got a new blip in the map, went there, it was a trap etc. Small thing, but still similar to what you say.

It might add a sense of non-linearity, but most players will still perceive it as scripted anyway, specially in games that try to be realistic.

Yeah but these wouldn't be blips (at least until after you see or hear about an event) on the map. These would truly be random and they would have more variety then Skyrim.

Like hearing on the news that a movie theater is on fire and you can choose to go to the theater and rescue the person trapped inside. Plus their not only conversations, example: Window washer platform suddenly collapses and window washers are hanging on for dear life. You can drive a car under them so that when they fall they will land in the car and be safe. I mean with next gen all of this can be possible. 

Freakorama
  • Freakorama

Freako

• The Yardies
  • Australia

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:03 AM

Window washer platform suddenly collapses and window washers are hanging on for dear life. You can drive a car under them so that when they fall they will land in the car and be safe.

There is no f*cking way someone would surive a fall from a building by landing in a car.

Secura
  • Secura

Fallen and Reborn

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:01 PM

Window washer platform suddenly collapses and window washers are hanging on for dear life. You can drive a car under them so that when they fall they will land in the car and be safe.

There is no f*cking way someone would surive a fall from a building by landing in a car.

Not if it's carrying an inflated bouncy castle.

• Joe Chip likes this

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:32 PM Edited by ryuclan, 03 November 2013 - 11:41 PM.

Like hearing on the news that a movie theater is on fire and you can choose to go to the theater and rescue the person trapped inside. Plus their not only conversations

sholaugh.gif

What you don't realize is that these things WILL be scripted. They only serve to give the illusion of spontaneity. There would be so many bugs and issues to deal with if you gave a game engine stuff like that to play around with.

I'm assuming you mean writing in the programming a multitude of options and parameters (time of day, location, event, npc used, other things) and letting it run with it.

DisasterMaster13
  • DisasterMaster13

Anarky Bitches!

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:39 AM

Like hearing on the news that a movie theater is on fire and you can choose to go to the theater and rescue the person trapped inside. Plus their not only conversations

sholaugh.gif

What you don't realize is that these things WILL be scripted. They only serve to give the illusion of spontaneity. There would be so many bugs and issues to deal with if you gave a game engine stuff like that to play around with.

I'm assuming you mean writing in the programming a multitude of options and parameters (time of day, location, event, npc used, other things) and letting it run with it.

Yeah that's what I meant actually.

DisasterMaster13
  • DisasterMaster13

Anarky Bitches!

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:40 AM

And there's no way a two-bit criminal like Franklin should have access to a RPG but in game land reality can suck it. Hard.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I see nothing but good things for you my boy.

• Members
  • India

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:40 AM Edited by AceKingston, 15 November 2013 - 02:41 AM.

Example: Say 2 npc's are talking about a child who went missing near the local store. This will generate an event near the store where you can investigate and find clues in the area to find out where the child is and who abducted them. You then go to the location and kill the people who are holding the child before taking them to their family.

Assassins Creed: Brotherhood had something similar.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Zaibatsu
  • Japan

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:58 AM

There's one thing though. If the players can't perceive it well enough, then it's as if it never happened and all that effort goes to waste. Players don't usually like the more subtle kind of thing, unless the game is all about subtle kind of things. Those "events" would also end up becoming meaningless as since they are completely randomly scripted, then the character will disappear/whatever after the event is done and that's it. And if you don't remove them from play, then you'll just increase the number of "vital" actors to a ridiculously big number, making it irrelevant. 

And what happens to the players that never found out about the movie theater burning down? Will they like that they some day walk by a burnt down theater and have no idea what happened? Unless your game is built completely around this "feature", it would suck. Half the open world players want to play an exciting story with branching paths in a huge world, half o them want to just set it on fire. Noone is there to save "random npc 205412" from "catastrophic event 2452211".

CatDog96
  • CatDog96

Dayman

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:27 AM

What if two npc's were talking about a rapist demon that can transmorph into any animal even an identical version of you pet and you have to hunt it down. I would play that game

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users