why is suicide considered bad?

52 replies to this topic
John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:34 PM

I Have No Problem with people killing themselves if they have a REAL reason to but i read a story about a teen girl who was cyber bullied so she killed herself and i just think to myself what a f*cking waste of a life for what is a Trivial Reason. and i do not like it when people kill themselves in a selfish manner like tying a rope to a fence then driving off and Beheading himself << that happened at a local supermarket just up the road  from my house my ex Girlfriend saw it and still goes to Therapy sessions  a year on. 

So in Conclusion   if its not selfish or Trivial i have no Problem with it myself. 

You must admit though, traumatised witnesses aside, that's a pretty creative way to book your grave, no?

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:41 AM

When I was depressed I thought it wasn't selfish -- god I hate those memories 2 years ago -- but now I think it is kind of a stupid thing to do. It's just not necessary, you're probably thinking of all the negative sides to life instead of the positives at the moment too.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:13 PM

Yeah I wouldn't consider leaving your family and friends behind, worried about wether or not they could've done something about it, causing them to live in sorrow and grief for the remainder of their live, because you couldn't handle certain problems head-on and killed yourself because someone bullied you on the internet bad (just an example, obviously not everyone commits suicide for this reason)..

I wouldn't call that bad at all.

I might excuse someone considering suicide if he or she has been raped and abused by the people closest to him or if there's no other way out (then again people ALWAYS say there was no other way out, which is bullsh*t more than half the time).

In secondary school a girl in our class commited suicide by drowning herself and I know we never get the full story, but as far as I know it was because she was stressed out because she had to take over the tasks of her mother and her farther made her do everything in the house, then she had a dream of drowning and decided to do it the next day. Even I (I didn't like her at all) felt a sense of guilt like I could've done something, I can't imagine how her friends felt.

Now the biggest problem is that we can't see into someone's mind and feel what they might be feeling, but I still think it's a bad thing to do.

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:56 PM

Because it's stupid and selfish. Unless they are in extreme physical suffering.

Danz.
  • Danz.

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:34 PM

Second to Émile Durkheim, a certain percentage of suicide, during a determimed period of time, is normal for any society. Regardless of what causes acts like that to happen, I've got to agree with him.

Crazyeighties
  • Crazyeighties

Your self proclaimed GTA forums DJ!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:16 AM Edited by Crazyeighties, 05 November 2013 - 04:08 AM.

Because suicide is f*cked up, people do to think about what it does to the loved ones or the person that finds them. Earlier this year my MC (Motorcycle Club) lost a member to someone taking the cowards way out. Even a few years ago while I was going through the darkest point in my life. After being diagnosed with cancer and spending 4 months in the hospital and the next 4 years in and out of hospitals I mean constantly. I never once thought about it. Because I knew for my family and friends it was something that would rare them apart inside. Having the courage to fight, or get help shows true strength.

Zotak
  • Zotak

Tom Hardy looks like me, or is it the other way?

• Members

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:44 AM

Suicide is bad because it is unhealty you know, you die and there's no way back.

Everything else is disputable, is there life after dead, do we go to heaven or hell, or just eternal darkness, nothing?

I knew a person who commited suicide, he wrote a letter saying he's just going for a trip and would be back later.

He was on drugs and drunk at the time and...never came back.

Crazyeighties
  • Crazyeighties

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:04 AM

Suicide is bad because it is unhealty you know, you die and there's no way back.
Everything else is disputable, is there life after dead, do we go to heaven or hell, or just eternal darkness, nothing?

I knew a person who commited suicide, he wrote a letter saying he's just going for a trip and would be back later.

He was on drugs and drunk at the time and...never came back.

I'm sorry that's tough.

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

Soviet Connection

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:11 PM

I lost my cousin 5 years ago this month to suicide. He hung himself off a tree, but admittedly I wasn't that close to him though I heard some pretty confronting stories about what lead to his death. He done some jail time and got raped while in there.

I don't consider what he done as a selfish act.

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:17 PM

Having the courage to fight, or get help shows true strength.

Why does someone need to show true strength? If I'm tired of something, terminally ill, or paralyzed, why is it cowardly or weak for me to say, "f*ck it, I'm not doing this anymore."? If I was paralyzed and I could take my own life, I'd most likely do it. I still live with my parents and they both work 9-5 jobs just to scrape by, why would I want to force them to take care of me?

DAWeeE1
  • DAWeeE1

Peon

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:07 PM

Historically, at least in Sweden, suicide was considered murder, since you kill someone, yourself that is. The bible says that you shall not kill anyone, and deviating from it which the laws were largely based on then would result in your dead body being buried in a random place, without any kind of ceremony, which was of course the worst that could happen to a dead person back then...

Max
  • Max

The Port Vila Killa.

• Zaibatsu
  • Vanuatu
  • Contribution Award [Sports]

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:15 PM

Why does someone need to show true strength? If I'm tired of something, terminally ill, or paralyzed, why is it cowardly or weak for me to say, "f*ck it, I'm not doing this anymore."? If I was paralyzed and I could take my own life, I'd most likely do it. I still live with my parents and they both work 9-5 jobs just to scrape by, why would I want to force them to take care of me?

Ah, but that is slightly different. Suicide to avoid a life of pain and suffering, or because the quality of life open to you is not what you would wish is essentially voluntary euthanasia. I would actually be in favour of allowing such a practice in the UK though it would have to be stringently regulated.

• Tyler and Frank Brown like this

Nonpareil1983
  • Nonpareil1983

Boss

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:23 PM Edited by Shenmue18, 07 November 2013 - 05:24 PM.

I don't see anything wrong with suicide if your life has absolutely no chance to improve. Now if you kill yourself because you're broke then I'd consider that bad because it shows that you care more about money then friends and family or if you kill yourself while you have a child, especially an underage child, that's completely f*cked up. If you have a child and they die or something truly terrible happens to you, I can't blame you for wanting to die, but if it's something like money trouble, or a girlfriend breaks up with you or your getting cyber bullied like someone else said, then I see it as selfish to kill yourself because of that.

Crazyeighties
  • Crazyeighties

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:55 AM Edited by Crazyeighties, 08 November 2013 - 01:59 AM.

now that is different if you have no quality of life, but if someone is just depressed, or broke, or anything except being terminally ill. I admit if if I get to the point to where I'm terminally ill and or on life support I won't fight it. I've been through it enough. By the show courage statement I was trying to refer to people getting mental help if they are depressed and thinking of suicide because you have no job, no money it's the worst thing you could do because it's only going to f*ck up family and friends.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:03 PM

I think suicide is irrational and dumb but I just want to smack those who say, "Oh it's a cowards move."

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

Dealux (Πvar.ΣΓ01122599)

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:44 PM

I think suicide is irrational and dumb but I just want to smack those who say, "Oh it's a cowards move."

Because life is so important and good. When have we established that? It's only a coward move if we can objectively establish that life is worth living.

DannyBee
  • DannyBee

Oh Zee...

• Members

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:11 PM Edited by DannyBee, 15 June 2015 - 08:56 PM.

uzi 9mm
  • uzi 9mm

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:35 PM

I don't think it's a really pleasant thing at all, if a person wants to commit suicide they are very depressed and have no will to live. They need to see a psychiatrist and talk about their problems. So it's complicated, if someone wants to end their life then by all means they may.

A woman killed herself in the Bentall center in Kingston, she jumped off of the top floor and died in front of shoppers in the center, and it's a fairly busy place too, children saw her die, this is an example of an act of selfishness, people have been traumatised for witnessing this selfish act of human nature. I definitely would not have liked to witness a dead body while I went shopping one day because somebody wanted to dispose of themselves, she could have gone to a cliff edge. Not to sound unemotional, I do feel compassion for the woman for her depression and death, but I disagree with her decision of where she did it.

So in that sense, it's very selfish. There have even been the odd times in my life where I have been depressed and thought about 'if' I ever wanted to die and how would I do it, but the thought of my family members having to grieve over me killing myself will immediately stop me from doing it.

These were low points in my life, and I wasn't actually considering it, I just thought 'what if'. I don't think I'd ever be able to be in a state of mind where I'd kill myself, life is a blessing and it should be lived.

Crazyeighties
  • Crazyeighties

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:14 PM

Because when your mum did it 3 weeks ago you realise the people that commit suicide are seriously mentally ill and need help, even if somebody briefly mentions it please act. I didn't and now I've lost my own mother in something that could've been easily avoided. It's selfish but at the same time the people who do it don't think rationally.. 

I am so sorry, I don't know if your spiritual but you and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

K20
  • K20

suckmyrocket

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:28 AM Edited by K20, 09 November 2013 - 10:31 AM.

I think its okay if there are no emotional ties to anyone. No children, parents, spouse, partners. its selfish to commit suicide and then leave family grieving.

And its acceptable to kill oneself if you are in pain or suffering physically. I hear about people committing suicide because of financial problems. Yeah its tough, but why kill yourself. Get over it and march through. Its only money, more more can always be made. there are people in 3rd world countries who do not have a single piece of possession, and live in the dirtiest of holes. yet, they do no kill themselves. those who jump infront of trains and buses are the worst. not only are they dead, but they also ruined the life of the drivers. totally.

some people have mental problems. this is out of their reach.  thought processes are all mixed up. they need medical help.

and to those who kill themselves over a breakup etc. its stupid. these people should die for their stupidity.

baguvix_wanrltw
  • baguvix_wanrltw

Cynical, yeah. Bitter, probably.

• Members

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:17 AM

It's simply a decision someone can make. In the end, the only person you're truly responsible for in life is yourself. Friends (= people you usually met simply because you were in the same classes or lived close to) don't matter then, neither does family because yet again, they are coincidental. You might have grown attached to them and they might have grown attached to you, but truly every one of us has always been and will always be alone. For some that realization alone may be reason enough, others use it for justification of their own needs, but regardless it's always up to the individual.

It would be nice to live in a world where nobody ever wished to die but unfortunately this is not it.

Revenge of the Donut
  • Revenge of the Donut

Meh

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:57 PM Edited by Revenge of the Donut, 10 November 2013 - 03:58 PM.

This though t came to me randomly out of the blue today. Why is suicide always liked at almost I'm the same light as murder in some cases? If someone truly hates their life and is Leading a mIserable existence who are we to tell them they have to continue to suffer through their pain? Shouldn't someone be allowed to "check out" if they choose since we all apparently have the power to govern our own lives.

Those are Just my thoughts and I was just curious to see what everyone else's is.

Because only rarely is someone ever truly without others in their life who care in someway or another, even if you are alone there's always the hope that things will get better. 

I remember when I was depressed a while back, their was a point where I contemplated suicide often, but looking back I can't believe how stupid I was for considering something like that, my life isn't that bad compared to some peoples yet I was going to throw it away over something I shouldn't have even given a sh*t about.

Not only would it devastate your family, if you let's say decided to throw yourself of a public building, imagine the people who see, maybe even children who could be scarred for life after seeing someone splat on the floor in front of them, it's irresponsible and selfish. There's also the possibility of attempts failing and you living the rest of your life in pain because of the damage the attempt causes.

No matter how miserable you feel, there is always another reason to live, you only get one life, you should never piss it away because you never know what might come along and make it all worth living for again.

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:11 PM

No matter how miserable you feel, there is always another reason to live, you only get one life, you should never piss it away because you never know what might come along and make it all worth living for again.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. Some people will just never be happy or be fulfilled in their life. I believe im an example of this. I have a good job and earn a decent income so money isn't really an issue and I live a comfortable life. I have a group of really close friends. So on the surface I may appear happy as can be but in reality I will never be able to achieve my greatest dream of having children and raising my own family. And that tears awah at me on the inside and leaves a gaping hole. I'm not saying im suicidal over it or anything because i'm not but It does make me question if life is really worth living.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users