why is suicide considered bad?

52 replies to this topic
gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:03 AM

This though t came to me randomly out of the blue today. Why is suicide always liked at almost I'm the same light as murder in some cases? If someone truly hates their life and is Leading a mIserable existence who are we to tell them they have to continue to suffer through their pain? Shouldn't someone be allowed to "check out" if they choose since we all apparently have the power to govern our own lives.

Those are Just my thoughts and I was just curious to see what everyone else's is.
  • Ramyhyday likes this

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:06 AM

This though t came to me randomly out of the blue today. Why is suicide always liked at almost I'm the same light as murder in some cases? If someone truly hates their life and is Leading a mIserable existence who are we to tell them they have to continue to suffer through their pain? Shouldn't someone be allowed to "check out" if they choose since we all apparently have the power to govern our own lives.

Those are Just my thoughts and I was just curious to see what everyone else's is.

I'm fine if someone wants to off themselves UNLESS they're a parent or guardian to a child/person who's unable to provide for themselves. Then it's just selfishness. People calling it selfish for emotional reasons (i.e. "You're my friend! Taking your life is selfish!") are selfish themselves.

• DeafMetal likes this

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:11 AM

I agree with that. I should have said that in the original post. That's the only time I have a problem with someone offing themself.

MrPeteyMax
  • MrPeteyMax

forum prankster haha i prank u!!!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:38 AM

It stems from the Christians saying that suicide is a sin and will result in you going to Hell. After that it just seemed to become taboo.

I have no opinion on suicide. People do as they please.

I'm fine if someone wants to off themselves UNLESS they're a parent or guardian to a child/person who's unable to provide for themselves.

I do agree with this 100%, though.

Human

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:01 AM Edited by 018361, 31 October 2013 - 03:03 AM.

I have thought of this question many times myself. I agree with Vlynor too. If someone is in pain and wants to end it all to stop their suffering shouldn't they be able to? Saying no because you will be hurt for a period of time far less than they ever were in my opinion is selfish.  I do agree that suicide and assisted should be allowed to a certain degree. I have felt suicidal at some points in my life, but after I realized that I was expecting life to throw me bones that I didn't deserve I snapped out of it with only the occasional thoughts of ending it. When you are suicidal you just need to remember that even though you may be having a dark, stormy, and miserable time in your life the sun will always shine through again. You can't expect life to give you happiness on a silver platter. You have to change yourself and do the things that you may be uncomfortable doing to be happy. You need to remember that the dark stormy and bad days are one of the things that make the bright and sunny ones better. All of the vegetation of that prairie that blows in the wind on a beautiful sunny day needed the rain to grow. What i'm trying to say is that even though times may seem bad, these bad days are what will make the good ones great and better than they would normally be. If you are unhappy in life you need to make a change. Get something off of your mind that has been bothering you, do something that you know you need to do but keep procrastinating to do, it doesn't matter just change what you know is broken in your life. You need to control your life instead of letting life control you.

TL;DR Version: People who are truly in pain should be able to but most people who feel like doing it don't realize that life will get better only if they take control of it. You will look back on the bad days and you will realize that they are what make a happy day so much better than it would normally be. You are only as miserable as you allow yourself to be. It is all a state of mind. If you think you are sad you will be sad. 

Durden
  • Durden

The annoying voice in your head

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:14 AM

It's selfish to want a friend/family member to not commit suicide. Not wanting them to kill themselves is like not wanting them to have a sexual orientation besides heterosexual, not wanting them to have a different religion, not wanting them to go to college to get a particular job, etc...

Not wanting someone to kill themselves essentially means that you want them to continue waking up every morning to agonizing emotional pain. I hate anybody that thinks it's selfish for a kid to commit suicide. 

WhatsStrength
  • WhatsStrength

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:39 AM

This is actually a very interesting topic, one I have not thought of before either. 

I guess people feel that something could have been done to make the victim reconsider and they feel guilt for not intervening. 

It would be hard for me to say I support anyone's decision to take their own life.

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:50 AM

I Have No Problem with people killing themselves if they have a REAL reason to but i read a story about a teen girl who was cyber bullied so she killed herself and i just think to myself what a f*cking waste of a life for what is a Trivial Reason. and i do not like it when people kill themselves in a selfish manner like tying a rope to a fence then driving off and Beheading himself << that happened at a local supermarket just up the road  from my house my ex Girlfriend saw it and still goes to Therapy sessions  a year on. 

So in Conclusion   if its not selfish or Trivial i have no Problem with it myself. 

Hecate
  • Hecate

I am for the air.

• NATO
  • Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:00 AM

We treat it as something bad because it is. In most cases the people who want to commit suicide are not able to see full picture of their situation. Every single person who has restrained or failed to kill themselves has come back to say they realized every problem in their life was solvable... Except for pulling that trigger or making the leap off the bridge. There are of course exceptions to this, but I wouldn't consider willful-euthanasia in the same category of suicide.

It's hard for to think in that mindset of living when you're in the depths of depression, but that's why we should encourage people to live: the curtain will be lifted if you persevere and take the steps to changing your situation. All that said, we as a society should decide whether we value individual freedom or social welfare more, and in this case I don't really know which side I fall on.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:23 AM

people should be allowed to "check out."

it's your body and your right... technically.

the reason suicide is considered "bad" is because no one commits suicide when they're happy and content.

if you're trying to commit suicide to begin with then it's obviously because your situation is BAD. bad things are bad. suicide is bad.

no one ever killed themselves because things were going great.

so of course it's bad.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:49 AM

There's always room for one person to improve their surroundings.. if only people would give hope a chance. Suicide is a touchy subject, you have your religious people who call it a sin, then you have people with strong morals who think suicide in general is wrong. Though I actually don't have any real right or wrong opinions towards it.

If someone wants to take their life, it's their life to lose, not mine. Hopefully those who are parents/guardians atleast have some sort of plan for their children prior to pulling the plug.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:59 AM

If people are allowed to off themselves the Church is out their revenues (tithes), the Politicians are out their revenues (donations, but they do get the perk of extra votes), the Medics are out their cut of the revenues.

We can't have assisted suicide because eventually someone will be doing in people for their estates. As if they aren't already.

Can't win either way.

Humans do deserve the same comfort that is allowed other animals.

The biggest crime is the Medics who keep people suffering 'because every life is precious'. Besides they need the practice and the subjects to 'test' on. The famous 'morphine drip' comes into play when the subjects bank account reaches the bottom of the barrel.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:16 AM

There are two types of suicide.  There's the truly merciful death, where someone is suffering from physical pain, and/or can't function in a normal capacity, and their life is a living hell for it.  That is in my mind, acceptable.  But then there's the moody teenager, and/or depressed type that a person isn't in their right mind, and doesn't understand that they can fix their situation.  I had a really close friend that was the second type.  And I know if he just held on, that if he got help, that he would still be here.  But he was a kid.  He hadn't yet learned to cope with the world.  If he would have just held on, I know he would regret ever thinking about it.

• El_Diablo likes this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:42 AM

...the truly merciful death, where someone is suffering from physical pain, and/or can't function in a normal capacity, and their life is a living hell for it.  That is in my mind, acceptable.

just wanna' make it clear I agree with this.

there are situations when death is clearly the better alternative... but that still doesn't make suicide a "good" thing when it's happening. even when merciful, suicide just means that someone has reached the end of their rope (no pun intended :sui:) and had no other options. it's still a sad and unfortunate outcome.

it's always bad even in the rare occasions when it's right.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:59 AM

Know what? If you care about people who are suicidal - do us a f*cking favour and STOP caring about what we do with the lives you think are so f*cking precious. And that means, no lectures about getting a 'career', no expectations of starting a family, no nice little chats about our lives 'having no direction'.

If life is beautiful and worth living, let us f*cking live it, don't implore us to stay around just because you want us to clean your f*cking toilets and work on your f*cking assembly lines. If you can't figure out why life is so crushing, why your expectations wear us down to little nubs, if you really can't understand that and don't want to try - keep your f*cking mouth shut.

Melchior
  • Melchior

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • China

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:14 AM

People who want to kill themselves are not of sound mind. Nobody makes a rational decision to end their own lives- they do it in the heat of the moment. It's pretty well documented that the more suicide attempts somebody makes, the less likely they are to make another one.

Brobinski
  • Brobinski

PYPU

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:18 AM

We treat it as something bad because it is. In most cases the people who want to commit suicide are not able to see full picture of their situation. Every single person who has restrained or failed to kill themselves has come back to say they realized every problem in their life was solvable... Except for pulling that trigger or making the leap off the bridge. There are of course exceptions to this, but I wouldn't consider willful-euthanasia in the same category of suicide.

It's hard for to think in that mindset of living when you're in the depths of depression, but that's why we should encourage people to live: the curtain will be lifted if you persevere and take the steps to changing your situation. All that said, we as a society should decide whether we value individual freedom or social welfare more, and in this case I don't really know which side I fall on.

Came in here to make precisely this point. There's an anecdote that goes around, not sure if it's true or not about a Gold Gate Bridge jumper and survived and is quoted as saying he "realised all the unsolvable problems were easily solvable, apart from the one where he leapt off the bridge".

Being suicidal means you're in a dark place mentally, that much is obvious. It also means you've lost your perspective on the world and can't be making such drastic decisions in a fully-informed mindset. Human beings are emotionally resilient, no matter the trials and tribulations you're going through (and let's be honest here, most of us live in the developed first world, our lives are pretty f*cking good) you can come out the other side and be happy again.

Personally I do think it's selfish. Like I said, your problems are solvable in 99% of cases, and if they're not chances are just dealing with them will not be as bad as your imagination let's you think it will be. I think the selfishness comes from you deciding to take the "easy way out" and leaving behind traumatised friends and family. Yeah, yeah it's your body and you should be allowed self-determination, but guess what? You're not the only one who matters dipsh*t. The price of your so-called resolution is tearing apart the lives of your friends and family, probably in a way they'll never properly recover from.

• Hecate and Rudy like this

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:27 AM Edited by Typhus, 31 October 2013 - 09:36 AM.

The price of your so-called resolution is tearing apart the lives of your friends and family, probably in a way they'll never properly recover from.

You really don't get it.

Carrying on a life out of sheer guilt and obligation is no way to live. How long do you really expect any one person to carry on when they're simply living for the gratification of others? You feel like a f*cking ghost.

Mister Kay
  • Mister Kay

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:37 AM

It is just a belief system. Like racism.

Brobinski
  • Brobinski

PYPU

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:11 AM

The price of your so-called resolution is tearing apart the lives of your friends and family, probably in a way they'll never properly recover from.

You really don't get it.

Carrying on a life out of sheer guilt and obligation is no way to live. How long do you really expect any one person to carry on when they're simply living for the gratification of others? You feel like a f*cking ghost.

I see how you got that out of what I said. Yeah, if you live life out of guilt then there's not much point, but if the guilt is what keeps you alive long enough to realise that life is worth living for yourself then, well sh*t, I'm all for it.

But more importantly, I think that sort of realisation, that the world is bigger than just yourself, is helpful in bringing you back from the brink anyway. Once you realise that you're not an island but part of something bigger, life seems a lot more worthwhile. Maybe it's just because I really find pleasure in helping others, but being a positive force in someone else's life really makes my life feel worthwhile. Knowing that your action (i.e. suicide) would have such a negative impact on others illustrates the inverse as well: the capacity for good influence your life also has.

I'm a big advocate for constantly trying to see the bigger picture, obviously it's not always easy especially during times of personal strife, but accepting that the world is bigger than yourself makes everyone happier, in my opinion.

haythem09
  • haythem09

Honorbru Dispray

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:51 AM

To answer the original question, Suicide is considered bad (By some) because:

1. Religious reasons

2. Can be considered cowardly

3. Can be considered selfish 

4. Can cause emotional pain for those who knew the suicidal  <- Prime Reason

5. It makes no sense to some who aren't suicidal (Majority)

6. People may believe their problems could've been undone

I have never really thought on the subject so I have no real opinion. But the reasons above are the reasons why many people consider suicide to be wrong.

ExtremoMania
  • ExtremoMania

Just a dose of metal everyday

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:45 PM

It's selfish to want a friend/family member to not commit suicide. Not wanting them to kill themselves is like not wanting them to have a sexual orientation besides heterosexual, not wanting them to have a different religion, not wanting them to go to college to get a particular job, etc...

Not wanting someone to kill themselves essentially means that you want them to continue waking up every morning to agonizing emotional pain. I hate anybody that thinks it's selfish for a kid to commit suicide. 

I agree with you for some reason. However if the reason of suicide isn't that trivial at all from which you can still rebound from that emotional situation, like for example those acts of punishment/banning from using social networking, emotional loss of love, non-severe family problems like financial status the case of suicide to escape excruciating depression isn't necessary.

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

5KΣΓ

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:45 PM

Personally I do think it's selfish. Like I said, your problems are solvable in 99% of cases, and if they're not chances are just dealing with them will not be as bad as your imagination let's you think it will be. I think the selfishness comes from you deciding to take the "easy way out" and leaving behind traumatised friends and family. Yeah, yeah it's your body and you should be allowed self-determination, but guess what? You're not the only one who matters dipsh*t. The price of your so-called resolution is tearing apart the lives of your friends and family, probably in a way they'll never properly recover from.

You can't come up with any good arguments for this because it goes both ways. It's also selfish to be attached to people. There's nothing noble about that and attachment can be a choice, as in you can choose to be less attached to people or not attached at all, and you won't suffer if those people walk out of your life. Emotions aren't as involuntary as you think, and even if they were, why do they have to be someone else's responsibility? They are each individual's emotions after all.

I was going to argue that suicide is generally not justified, but I couldn't come up with any arguments because after all, is life actually worth living? I would say probably not. Isn't nothing (death) better?

WBaker
  • WBaker

Acatalepsis

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:08 PM

As the cliche goes it's a permanent fix for a temporary problem. "Suicide is painless, it brings on many changes..."

Mr. Sleepy
  • Mr. Sleepy

Infamous

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:33 PM

I'll surely be hated for this, but what the heck, it's the internet.

To suicide your way out is an act of pussiness, it means you're weak and you can't handle your sh*t.

I'm against it for whatever reason.

egoloss
  • egoloss

Adam Santos

• Members

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:38 PM

The reason is it frowned upon is because about 90% are failed suicide attempts costing the police time and hospitals money to repair the injuries sustained from it.

Nlwt
  • Nlwt

• Members
  • Lesotho

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:14 PM

It's selfish to want a friend/family member to not commit suicide. 

I get why people think this, but I disagree. As somebody above said, everybody can improve their life/surroundings in some way, even if the majority can't see that happening. If somebody close to me was considering suicide, I wouldn't just stand back and think "If I get involved, I'm being selfish." I'd obviously do whatever I can to talk them out of it and help them see what they have to live for and how things could get better. Suicide is hardly ever an option imo, the only time I've seen/heard where it's even remotely an option in my eyes is when somebody is terminal with an illness and it would prevent weeks/months of extreme pain and suffering.

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

5KΣΓ

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:31 PM

To suicide your way out is an act of pussiness,

it means you're weak and you can't handle your sh*t.

I'm against it for whatever reason.

I have a feeling that if I ask why you are going to bring up religious "arguments", so I won't bother.

Yes, not surprisingly some people find it harder to deal with situations than others. You have a limit too. Just because you don't know what it is doesn't mean you are unbreakable.

Even euthanasia (in cases of terminal illnesses)?

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:27 PM

The reason is it frowned upon is because about 90% are failed suicide attempts costing the police time and hospitals money to repair the injuries sustained from it.

Good points for having Government/Medical assisted suicides.

Authorities can determine that it isn't an attempted murder gone wrong. And Hospital needn't bother with revival attempts.

I think more people would suicide if they didn't worry about "Life after Death."

Mcquiz
  • Mcquiz

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:13 PM

I am against it. Those who suicide are quite selfish, not thinking about how their death affects their family. I also think that suicide is for the weak. Suicide is only an option in very rare cases. But hey at least it's better than taking your whole family to the grave with you which seems to be very popular these days.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users