» «
Photo

Losing Ammo Upon Death (Minigun, etc)

30 replies to this topic
AzraelX
  • AzraelX

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:02 PM Edited by AzraelX, 31 October 2013 - 05:10 AM.

There have been conflicting reports that you lose all the minigun ammo when you die, as well as a few other weapons. There have been various claims about the conditions for it as well (such as "it has to do with your wanted level", which is false). I just performed some tests to finally clear this up.

What causes you to lose ammo from a weapon?

- Dying while having the weapon equipped.

- Dying while unarmed, and it was the last weapon you had equipped.

What weapons lose ammo?

- All non-melee weapons, including grenades, sticky bombs, and even the jerrycan.

- You do not drop melee weapons, they are unaffected.

How much ammo do you lose?

- You lose one full clip of ammo.

- The "extended clip" upgrade also increases the amount of ammo lost accordingly.

Keep in mind it may seem like you are losing more than that, because it also refills your clip when you die.

Example: You are using a pistol with an extended clip, and you see the ammo is 100/16 (which means 16 bullets in the clip, and 100 more after that, giving you 116 bullets total). You fire 4 bullets, making it 100/12. You then die somehow.

Your new ammo count will be 80/16. The 4 bullets missing from the clip were refilled, going from 100/12 to 96/16. You then lost one full clip of ammo, which is 16 bullets, making it 80/16.

The clip size doesn't show up for all weapons though, such as grenades and RPGs. How do you determine it then? Well, the same way as any other weapon: the clip size is the amount of ammo you can use continuously without reloading.

This means the RPG and grenade, as mentioned, have a clip size of 1, so you lose 1 unit of ammo when you die. For the minigun and jerrycan however, all of the ammo is stored in a single "clip", so you lose it all.

How much ammo does each specific weapon lose?

- Minigun: 9999

- Grenade Launcher: 10

- RPG: 1

- Grenades: 1

- Sticky Bombs: 1

- Tear Gas: 1

- Jerrycan: 100

All other weapons display their clip size on the weapon wheel (with extended clips, the pistol loses 16, AP pistol loses 36, carbine loses 60, etc).

How can I prevent this?

- Switching to a melee weapon before dying will prevent you from losing any ammo.

Keep in mind that your fists do not count as a melee weapon, so you'll still lose ammo from the last weapon you had equipped before that.

Are there any times when this doesn't happen?

- If the ammo you use kills you immediately, then it will count as being in the clip.

Basically, the ammo you use will also count toward the ammo you lose if it kills you immediately, so you won't actually be penalized the round you fired.

Examples would be firing a rocket directly at your feet, tapping left on the D-pad while throwing a sticky bomb, holding a grenade until it explodes, and standing against a car while firing a grenade launcher at it. For the grenade launcher, you will still lose the additional 9 grenades after that one.

I just lost all the ammo in my minigun! What can I do?

- In Ammunation, press X/Square when buying ammo. It will allow you to buy the max ammo all at once.

Additionally, be sure to switch to a different weapon before dying when using the minigun in the future.

• Wolfhuman, Nah Tso Gud, EliteGamer and 5 others like this

BlakeZ
  • BlakeZ

Rat

• Members

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:04 PM

This explains why all my grenade launcher ammo keeps going missing. Thanks for the insightful post. I hope they fix this as it seems to be a terrible or unintended mechanic.

NombreDeLaBeast
  • NombreDeLaBeast

Mark Chump

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:06 PM

This explains a whole hell of a lot lol. like BlakeZ I was wondering where the hell all my grenade launcher ammo was going.

mbhitman
  • mbhitman

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:06 PM

So if you die while using the mini gun you will lose ALL the ammo in the gun? 9999 bullets?

AzraelX
  • AzraelX

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:17 PM

Constantly losing my grenade launcher ammo is what finally prompted me to do these tests lol.

So if you die while using the mini gun you will lose ALL the ammo in the gun? 9999 bullets?

Yes.

PlutoniumJones
  • PlutoniumJones

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:55 AM

It's amazing what stays on the front page and what sinks. This would be an informative sticky. Thanks.

AzraelX
  • AzraelX

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:10 AM Edited by AzraelX, 31 October 2013 - 03:11 AM.

It's amazing what stays on the front page and what sinks. This would be an informative sticky. Thanks.

But you can never have too many threads about glitchers and griefers and bad sport! And no problem :D

Dirrty_Burrito
  • Dirrty_Burrito

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:48 AM

Yeah I noticed the same thing... 

I thought my ammo was going quickly...

They do need to fix this for sure!!

Reckless1
  • Reckless1

Rat

• Members

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:57 AM

Just another money sink from R* imo. #workingasintended

Nothing like being in an intense pvp battle, dying a few times and being out of ammo...real fun.

/end sarcasm

DP Man
  • DP Man

GH3††O ▲SS

• Members

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:09 AM

One of the worst "features" in the game, pisses me off so much.

The Rangler
  • The Rangler

Snitch

• Members

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:23 AM

Is this specific to a certain kind of death, i.e. only by other players, or is it the same if cops kill you too?

petenasty
  • petenasty

Rat

• Members

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:33 AM

Hah was literally wondering why all my grenade launcher ammo was missing after a bad encounter with some douchebag crew last night. That sucks.

Even more so for the minigun. Was so excited to get my first from a crate; fired 6 shots and was headshotted by my target instantly and lost all of it. So salty.

RedHound88
  • RedHound88

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:59 AM

Damn this feature !! i hope they remove it !!

Nah Tso Gud
  • Nah Tso Gud

SuperHonky

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:07 AM

Great post. Thanks a bunch for taking the effort/deaths/ammo loss to figure this out. Hopefully they do fix this somehow. Just about to earn the Minigun :D Buzzards=even more lol then.

AzraelX
  • AzraelX

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:41 AM

No problem, I just hope this is a bug and not an intended mechanic.

IXBillyXI
  • IXBillyXI

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:06 AM

Yeah I don't think losing 9999 rounds of a minigun was intentional. This confuses me why this wasn't tested at all and would like to see what these testers actually did. What kind of testers WOULDN'T want to test out the minigun on another tester in a buzzard shotting at him? Im sure the minigun guy would of died eventually and hoping he would of noticed he had no ammo left in the minigun lol.

AlmightySo
  • AlmightySo

Professional Hustler

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:17 AM

its onyl happened to me whilst holding the mini gun.

MLO_III
  • MLO_III

Honest Cheater

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:30 AM

Request sticky, at least f not here in errors or gameplay forum. Thank you azrael

Seanathon
  • Seanathon

Playa

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:25 PM

Good to know.

ells144
  • ells144

i like franklin because of lamar

• BUSTED!

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:54 PM

cool thanks I guess there is no point, in the mini gun then :(

HostilityFactor
  • HostilityFactor

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:57 AM

Yea, I finally unlocked the mini gun today and was so stoked to use it, only to find out upon death that I lost all the rounds for it. I wondered this whole time why I have never seen or been killed by a high level player with it, and now I know lol. Hopefully its not intended to work like that and gets some love in the future. 

marvinthebox
  • marvinthebox

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:05 AM

awesome work

don_pepe23
  • don_pepe23

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:22 AM

Thx man. Already thought it was a bug..

EliteGamer
  • EliteGamer

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:10 PM

I knew about this a while ago, but it’s good to see it tested in detail because knowing the specifics is useful. +1

Racer__X
  • Racer__X

@DeejayJeanP

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:25 PM

I noticed today, annoys the f out of me. I got a sh*t load of money but 5000 dollars for a full grenade launcher everytime I die is some expensive sh*t

gta_10851
  • gta_10851

GTA_10851

• Members

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:59 PM Edited by gta_10851, 11 November 2013 - 07:58 PM.

There is a glitch. when I ended my game from the previous night I purchased ammo for rpg, minigun and grenade launcher before logging off. I started playing today it was gone. I thought maybe I didn't buy ammo, I go and restock these weapons, by the way I'm in invite only session to mod my cars with no interuption. After playing for 10 minutes I check to see if my ammo is there and it's gone for all three weapons never used it, never died. Thousands of dollars gone.

G_Masta_Phunk
  • G_Masta_Phunk

Blunt Smoking Philosopher

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:50 AM

interesting find... I knew I lost ammo on death.. but the specifics were a mystery to me. 

darkwar854
  • darkwar854

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:14 PM

I lost a minigun today and I am pissed.

Preusse
  • Preusse

König von Preußen

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:25 PM

Probably because you didn't buy it.

Mike Honcho
  • Mike Honcho

Packin' Dips

• Members

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:39 PM

Probably because you didn't buy it.

Yeah this sucks. I don't even have the minigun unlocked yet, but I get it all the time from doing survival missions. If you get the minigun from survival and die with it equipped, the game doesn't just steal your ammo, it takes the gun away from you so you can't even get a crate to refill it. Lame.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users