Photo

is Liberalism under threat?

33 replies to this topic
El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:15 AM Edited by El_Diablo, 14 November 2013 - 10:52 AM.

It would get somewhere if people actually did something about it.

You, personally, need to stand up to make the change.

you're doing it again.

you're preaching to the choir.

I'm already on your side here, I don't know why you're telling me this.

I'm trying to get at the issue of why more people don't stand up. I'm already standing. but where's the goddamn Liberal equivalent of the Tea Party? :lol:

it only took them a few years to gain real political power. funny how the batwing nutjobs manage to be the best @ getting elected.

then again it could just as easily be argued that they might not exist at all if not for President Porch Negro occupying the oval office...

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:56 PM

that's probably because what you describe isn't really viewed as far right in the US. From a European standpoint it sure is extremely far right, but those bible thumping racists you describe are a good portion of the country and thus reflected in the Republican party.

actually that's not true.

"bible thumping racists" does NOT describe a good portion of the country.

that's the point of this topic.

Republican party leadership is out of touch with its own base as much as it is with reality itself.

the vast majority of common Republican-registered voters are completely normal, reasonable, rational people with a mortgage, a wife, a 10 year old minivan, and a couple of kids in public school. they DO NOT believe in the kind of extreme rhetoric that passes for routine talking points in today's GOP. but they cannot seem to get a handle on their party.

this is what I'm trying to get at.

Maybe a few years ago, but not anymore. You talk to these minivan driving people with mortgages and they tend to have flocked away from the GOP in recent years and though I don't have any definitive numbers, would probably surmise that they simply aren't going out to vote. 

I honestly beg to differ with you on the bible thumping racists thing. Are all of them racists and bible thumpers? No... but this country is, comparing it on an international scale, by and large a slightly center right nation. People in the US do by and large go to church/practice Christianity. They do harbor irrational hatred of Muslim Americans... f*ck look at the polling. What is it 1/3 of Americans say they aren't sure if Obama is a Christian or not? Many of these so called moderate minivan drivers are again, either not voting, or voting democrat as it has become the de facto centirst party. 

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:13 PM

Maybe a few years ago, but not anymore. You talk to these minivan driving people with mortgages and they tend to have flocked away from the GOP in recent years and though I don't have any definitive numbers, would probably surmise that they simply aren't going out to vote. 

well I can't argue with that.

I know for a fact that several of my own relatives who have been lifelong Republicans simply abstained from the voting booth during 08 and 12.

if it wasn't enough for them to dislike the opposition, they're becoming rapidly disenfranchised with their own party.

but this is still what puzzles me. how can base support erode to such a degree that party leadership only becomes MORE fringe? it doesn't make sense. I thought you had to pivot to the Center when losing support. that's how it works. you fire people up on the fringe during the primaries and move to the center during the general election. but the GOP is doing the opposite. it's like I'm watching a bad horror film and can't turn it off.

I honestly beg to differ with you on the bible thumping racists thing. Are all of them racists and bible thumpers? No... but this country is, comparing it on an international scale, by and large a slightly center right nation. People in the US do by and large go to church/practice Christianity. They do harbor irrational hatred of Muslim Americans... f*ck look at the polling. What is it 1/3 of Americans say they aren't sure if Obama is a Christian or not? Many of these so called moderate minivan drivers are again, either not voting, or voting democrat as it has become the de facto centirst party. 

but I can't agree with this.

you're correct about the fact that the US government operates from a Center Right policy position. especially compared to the EU.

you're correct about the fact that a majority of US citizens attend church or are Christian.

but you would be wrong to assume that an irrational hated of Muslims is the majority. it's not.

I would ask you to quote the poll that says "1/3 of Americans" aren't sure if Obama is a Christian or not. but even so, I would argue this doesn't prove anything other than the tenuous nature of drawing conclusions from self-report polls. if anything it would testify to the power of American media and failure of American news journalism. it wouldn't prove that the US is comprised of bible-thumping racists.

Melchior
  • Melchior

come on and tell me twice

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Nations

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:03 AM

Well, another issue is that Americans are notoriously apathetic. Maybe 1/3rd of the country doesn't think Obama is a Muslim, but 1/3rd of voters might. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users