CIVILIAN BOUNTIES: Quite literally the WORST issue in GTA:O

86 replies to this topic
Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

A Young Filipino Boy Playing Hands-Free Catch-the-Quarter

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Topic 2013 "The Identity Crisis: The Problems with V's story."

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:29 PM Edited by Drunken Cowboy, 30 October 2013 - 12:21 AM.

I get it, Rockstar is trying to promote the use of personal vehicles.

For the most part, I DO use my personal vehicles. However, if I need to get away in a hurry, or I receive the entirely too frequent "can't get it to your boss!" call from my mechanic, I figure I should take a vehicle.

Why is the game, the franchise entitled Grand Theft Auto putting down the idea of grand theft auto? The one mechanic holding the game's niche together since GTA 1 has been jacking cars.

But in GTA:O, the irritating bounty feature is forced on us. GTA 5 seems to be pushing more for realism (hence the agonizingly dead-eye, relentless, and ever-present police), so why is it realistic every schmuck in the city has connections to Lester?

Moreover, how do they recognize me? Or get my number?

Or even more unexplained is when I stole a car parked in the middle of a parking lot with no one around, or how I even killed the prick after I took his car, and he still placed the bounty on me.

No matter the quantity, $1000-$9000, the "bounty hunters" are still going to pursue you.

Why should the key game mechanic of GTA be put down in such a way? Sometimes I need to get away from police/mercs/players before they kill me, and have my daring escape be all-for-not when the bounty brigade chases me all over San Andreas?

My personal vehicles look good, but they don't always function. Garage space and vehicles are expensive, and while I don't want to pay for/house/insure/repair a fast muscle car, I sometimes need one for a mission or a certain area of the environment.

We put up with a LOT of crap in GTA:O, and after a lack-luster campaign, I expect my dollar value could at least be redeemed in online. Excusing the enormous technical problems of launch and have persisted, we have RP/stats/money not saving, police pursuing you for shooting a person in the middle of the woods with a silenced gun, getting an automatic two stars when finding a Simeon vehicle (EVEN IF IT'S YOUR PERSONAL VEHICLE), the GTA IV-esc friends-calling-you-every-two-f*cking-seconds to remind you what you already know, the money paid upon death, the vehicle impounding, retrieving of said impounded vehicles, lack of character and clothing customization, lack of property (Blaine County housing, anyone?), the inability to make most any vehicles that aren't street racers personal or even customize them to a decent extent, the severing in half of mission payouts.

If you fix ANYTHING Rockstar, PLEASE START with the civilian bounties.

Before you get all mad...

I'm not saying "OH NO! ENEMY PLAYERS! I CAN'T BE KILLED!"

I'm saying "I wanted to go to X and do Y. I DON'T want to spend the next Z minutes camped on a roof top fending myself off from other players just because I accidentally triggered a feature that IS NOT INHERENTLY BAD... but has been entirely too frequently, and overall poorly implemented. 

• LeAristocrat, Bateman_616 and Timely like this

umm_me
  • umm_me

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:31 PM Edited by umm_me, 29 October 2013 - 06:33 PM.

god forbid somebody kills you once and gets paid 9k.... this sounds like a serious issue.

BTW they last 48minutes in free mode.

• PZVNGI likes this

DirtyT
  • DirtyT

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:34 PM

24 real time hours?

I stopped reading there. They last around 48 minutes.

If civs didn't put bounties on players, there would hardly ever be any bounties to chase.

It's free mode. You can affect the world, it's only fair it can affect you back.

Enjoy the chase that occurs, you're playing GTA for f*ck sake.
  • manutd36, daurkin and BRASCH like this

Elijin
  • Elijin

Probably Lost. Send help.

• Members

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:36 PM

I thought the worst issue in GTAO had to do with cloud servers and lost saves.

I sure was wrong!

• blackbriar, Soulchild and Seanathon like this

AzraelX
  • AzraelX

Li'l G Loc

• Members

This is the only community on the internet that would write a page-long rant against getting free money.

It makes the game more interesting, giving players more reason to interact with one another. It also injects money into the game, something most people are grateful for, but of course everyone can't be. If people aren't bitching about how Rockstar is trying to steal all your cash to promote their cash cards, they're bitching about how Rockstar is trying to give you too much cash for free to promote their cash cards.

Sometimes it makes you wonder if some of these things might actually make sense from a game balance perspective.

I like hunting bounties, and NPCs generate most of them. You should get your own car if it bothers you so much, or call Lester, he'll find you a car that isn't registered as stolen. Or you could just respray whatever car you stole. Or you could just keep driving wherever the hell you're going because police at 1-star wanted level are a joke.

Basically, this is not a problem, let alone the worst problem, literally or figuratively.

• FarVision and sslickk1 like this

S-M-O-K-E
  • S-M-O-K-E

Foot Soldier

• Members

Really?

So many other important issues need addressing and you bitch about civilian bounties? How is it any different then the numerous twats ive came across that place bounties on people for no reason?

Gerarghini
  • Gerarghini

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:39 PM

10/10 agree

protopip3
  • protopip3

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:41 PM

the civilian bounties are awesome! i had one place a $3000 bounty on me and the madness that ensued after was a lot of fun! 

• victor1987 and BRASCH like this

gnad1992the.return
  • gnad1992the.return

since 2007

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:41 PM

I kinda like it. It gives me more adrenaline!

• BRASCH likes this

Epi
  • Epi

might be a girl in rl

• Members

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:42 PM

gives you a reason to stay alert. adds some fun to the freeroam

stop bitching and moaning.

i kill cops and players the same with a bounty or without.

willeyj
  • willeyj

54-46

• Members

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:43 PM

Just run, take out as many pursers as you can and enjoy the chase. I hope they never change the bounty mechanic I love being the hunter and the hunted.

• Vitamin PWN likes this

Masher8559
  • Masher8559

Hustler

• Members

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:44 PM

Free money, what's the problem?

jc20
  • jc20

Rat

• Members

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:45 PM Edited by jc20, 29 October 2013 - 07:02 PM.

While I understand they can be annoying, lately I've been trying to get bounties on me to draw people in for a fight.  Climb up on a building and fight off everyone for as long as you can.  There is a large building which has a campus look in the front that is great for his; its near the LSC that everyone goes to.  Leave either side of the custom shop and head south; there is a large area of grass between the two roadways.  The building overlooks this on one side.  There is a ladder behind the palm tree close to the police station.  Good luck.

Edit:  I know these are not the best directions lol.  Wish I could provide a picture or something.

Edit 2:  The building in the background is the one I was referencing:

BevHillsCopGTA.png

• gnad1992the.return likes this

osyrus
  • osyrus

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:46 PM

Ya, I think you are missing the point of the civ bounties. It isn't to discourage you from stealing cars, its to encourage you to take part in impromptu content. It all depends on your perspective. When I get a civ bounty I take it as a personal challenge. Remember, they have to kill you to claim the bounty........don't let them. Hands down, THE most fun I've had in this game has come from people trying to kill me for a bounty. Nothing gets the blood pumping more than realizing a tank is chasing you down for a bounty. Let the games begin.

riksterinto
  • riksterinto

Trick

• Members

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:48 PM

Just relax and have fun with it.  It can be fun trying to hold your ground against the bounty brigade.  Sell the car you stole and you end up on top in the long run.

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:48 PM

While I understand they can be annoying, lately I've been trying to get bounties on me to draw people in for a fight.  Climb up on a building and fight off everyone for as long as you can.  There is a large building which has a campus look in the front that is great for his; its near the LSC that everyone goes to.  Leave either side of the custom shop and head south; there is a large area of grass between the two roadways.  The building overlooks this on one side.  There is a ladder behind the palm tree close to the police station.  Good luck.

This is generally what it takes. But usually, this isn't my plan. If I WANT to fight people off, I'll give them a reason. I'll kill them unprovoked, blow up their personal vehicles (bad sport/paying others' insurance is another bogus issue of online) whatever I need to.

Though, I usually have my own agenda. I want to play free in a game that promotes freedom of choice. If I want to go up to Vinewood for a round of golf, or out to the Senora Freeway to hold up a few stores, I should be allowed to do that without the sudden stop of having half the players in the game trying to kill me for something as minor as procuring an appropriate vehicle for the situation.

• Timely likes this

GrndZero
  • GrndZero

Old enough to be your dad.

• Members

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:49 PM

I love civilian bounties. I only play on invite only or closed friends servers and I get to keep that bounty all the time. I don't see the problem, lol.

Rusty Shackleford
  • Rusty Shackleford

Donkey Punch Champion

• Members

I think the NPC bounties are dumb, but it's along ways from being the worst issue.

AzraelX
  • AzraelX

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Climb up on a building and fight off everyone for as long as you can.

Haha, I like to do this, although I've found out the hard way that you need to make sure you pick the tallest building within a 10 block radius. People can get pretty creative when it comes to ending your life lol.

keenanandkel984
  • keenanandkel984

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:51 PM

i get a bounty seemingly every other car i steal. it is odd that even if i kill the driver or steal an empty car it still happens.

kinda annoying out when i am trying to get somewhere and can't get to my private vehicle, but the chase can be fun if my original objective wasn't that important.

from now on i am going to try shooting the driver before i open the door, and see if that helps.

Car Lover
  • Car Lover

Lover of Cars

• Members

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:51 PM

Go put your big boy pants on and man up... or go play a Care Bear game.

This is GTA.

victor1987
  • victor1987

Rat

• Members

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:52 PM

the civilian bounties are awesome! i had one place a $3000 bounty on me and the madness that ensued after was a lot of fun! 

i know right..i actually try to get a bounty on me just so people will go crazy and follow me

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:52 PM

from now on i am going to try shooting the driver before i open the door, and see if that helps.

Tried. Doesn't, at least in my case. Very annoying...

Maybe if it applied to something like jacking gang members or rich people's cars only, I could be more sympathetic toward the system.

• milion peso man likes this

jc20
  • jc20

Rat

• Members

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:59 PM Edited by jc20, 29 October 2013 - 07:00 PM.

This is generally what it takes. But usually, this isn't my plan. If I WANT to fight people off, I'll give them a reason. I'll kill them unprovoked, blow up their personal vehicles (bad sport/paying others' insurance is another bogus issue of online) whatever I need to.

Though, I usually have my own agenda. I want to play free in a game that promotes freedom of choice. If I want to go up to Vinewood for a round of golf, or out to the Senora Freeway to hold up a few stores, I should be allowed to do that without the sudden stop of having half the players in the game trying to kill me for something as minor as procuring an appropriate vehicle for the situation.

This is precisely why I DON'T kill people unprovoked for the most part.  You don't wan't people trying to kill you for a bounty when you were planning to do something else, yet you will kill someone for no reason, blow up a player car, etc.  Do you see how that is a bit hypocritical?

• Upggrade likes this

pbeezy
  • pbeezy

Beast Mode

• Members

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:00 PM

Your a conehead. Bounties are the best! I wish more people would put them on me, I just call in a tank and go sit on the beach with it and whoever drives up to me just turns around; or they get blown away!

PRICELESS

JohnGazman
  • JohnGazman

More Dakka Is Never Enough

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:00 PM

Hell no. NPC bounties are great - it's free money, after all.

GraniteDevil
  • GraniteDevil

The Logic Maker

• Members

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:01 PM

I love NPC bounties.  I spend a good amount of time jacking cars trying to get those bounties on my head.

Kracus
  • Kracus

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:02 PM

I think it's amusing but the consistency needs to be checked. I stole some guy's sh*t beater car and he put a 4k bounty on me. Steal a nice sports car and get a 1k bounty. Doesn't really make sense. I don't think the bounty should be worth more than the car I stole!

Napalmbrain
  • Napalmbrain

What is Buzz?

• Members

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:03 PM

This topic is ass.

The biggest problem BY FAR is the broken matchmaking.

• S-M-O-K-E likes this

Black Rabbit
  • Black Rabbit

Owsla

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:04 PM

NPC bounties are the sh*t. I don't mind getting them on my head (oh no!&!! someone might kill me....phsst) and I love going after them. 

R* will not remove these because a few people get annoyed that they can't steal cars without repercussions. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users