Photo

GTA online is horrible.

147 replies to this topic
SmokeyB34Rx
  • SmokeyB34Rx

The Revelator

• Members

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:50 PM

I think the crew system does provide some functionality. Is it an out of the park home run? No. Could one achieve the same thing more or less via the Friends list? Probably. But as for our crew, we enjoy the ease of comparing ranks, fastest laps, etc among the crew. I may not be good enough to get top ten in the world of players but shooting for that best in the crew title is fun. Crew colors on gear and rides can be expensive agreed but some find it fun and are willing to pony up. But by far the best feature is crew recognition in free roam. Not all crew members are on my friends list. Most are friends of friends who joined the crew. Identifying crew members on the map allows me to immediately recognize that dot as a friendly even though it's not player on my friends list. I should note here that our crew is invite only and has only 60+ members so it's not a bunch of randoms. Generally there is only 1 degree of separation.

GAMES A COMPLETE JOKE

I play ONLY to annoy people. Bounties, Mercs, Muggers...then spawn killing with my tank. I ONLY want a reaction out of people with Mics. other than that, I session-jump to find troll candidates. 

GTAPhilly1 I love ya bro! We love players like you. They give us purpose. You want a reaction? You got it. Not through the mic tho. We don't roam alone. We love the challenge. Ba-boom! All in fun. I hope I get to shoot you in the face! ;)

• .Polar_Bear. likes this

twopair2s3s
  • twopair2s3s

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:56 PM

agree with everyone saying this game is boring. If you dont get a boner from racing for 3 hours or shooting randoms in free roam then its sh*t.
The missions are an absolute bust, go steal this drug or tanker or RV hop into the car, get out, kill 4-5 truck loads of people, drive 3 miles untouched, get 2k, repeat. how is that fun?
They pepper in los santos connection and death from above missions that are a little against the grain, but there is literally 10 AT MOST missions that dont involve go to point a steal item kill 20 guys drive to point b. there needs to be a point online besides glitching money.
Why is there not random corrupt cops, lawyers, gang leaders, civilians giving me little side jobs or completely different set of missions to get away from the tediousness of these missions, love to see someone try to stick up for missions like Blow Up, and the 20 trailer stealing missions

Missions will always come to fetching this, kill this person, yada yada yada, they can't make each mission play out like a Hollywood movie. It takes time.

How would you implement better missions in a timely manner, cause I'm sure they have very skimp deadlines when work needs to be done.

No matter how you slice it, missions will always vaguely be similar .. Fetch this, steal that, kill this person, guard this area, attack this..

What else can you do for missions, steal a spaceship and fly to mars? ??

People just don't like the gameplay which is fine, leave. But to say it lacks variety is incoherent

Read my post you idiot, they have about 10 missions that are off the beaten path, why cant they have more, los santos connection for example, ya its the same as go here kill this go here, but its a 3 part mission, it has some variety is it that hard? why are people so set on sticking up for these greedy bastards. there is TONS of single player variety, why cant we add that in? Like the mission where gerald races 2 super cars and you are the 2 bike cops, you chase them, pull them over, steal the cars ,and bring them back. plenty of variety then just steal meth bring to gerald.

GTAPhilly1
  • GTAPhilly1

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:56 PM

I think the crew system does provide some functionality. Is it an out of the park home run? No. Could one achieve the same thing more or less via the Friends list? Probably. But as for our crew, we enjoy the ease of comparing ranks, fastest laps, etc among the crew. I may not be good enough to get top ten in the world of players but shooting for that best in the crew title is fun. Crew colors on gear and rides can be expensive agreed but some find it fun and are willing to pony up. But by far the best feature is crew recognition in free roam. Not all crew members are on my friends list. Most are friends of friends who joined the crew. Identifying crew members on the map allows me to immediately recognize that dot as a friendly even though it's not player on my friends list. I should note here that our crew is invite only and has only 60+ members so it's not a bunch of randoms. Generally there is only 1 degree of separation.

GAMES A COMPLETE JOKE

I play ONLY to annoy people. Bounties, Mercs, Muggers...then spawn killing with my tank. I ONLY want a reaction out of people with Mics. other than that, I session-jump to find troll candidates. 

GTAPhilly1 I love ya bro! We love players like you. They give us purpose. You want a reaction? You got it. Not through the mic tho. We don't roam alone. We love the challenge. Ba-boom! All in fun. I hope I get to shoot you in the face! ;)

We need eachother! 

Epi
  • Epi

might be a girl in rl

• Members

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:03 PM

ofcourse you arnt having fun

you killed your self with doing repetitive races for cash/rp

so now you had an overkill because of it being repetitive

you have your 10car house, and your supercars

so there is no motivation for that anymore

you're dulled out because you spend alot of time

and you feel beter because you have stuff that doesnt matter

gta online is fun, if you have actual fun not caring about that the car that drives you from a to b sometimes should be car x

i have loads of fun, even doing same missions, we dont just rush all in our own car to the yellow dot, we move in groups, scout the enviroment, try to do the mission different then last time, try to do the mission more stealthy, try to do the mission in overpowerd ways with heli back ups, air strikes, jets we stole before etc.

if you rush there and just start shooting... niggu you might as well just go play duckhunt or the same auto aiming get behind cover railgame gears of wars... or maby a race game and choose the same lap over and over.

but you're not gonna do that

because you are burned out by doing the same dumb round around the prisson for 100+ times because you think money/car was fun and status

i bet you put monopoly money in your pocket too when you go outside... same principle...

• SmokeyB34Rx likes this

GTAPhilly1
  • GTAPhilly1

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:09 PM

ofcourse you arnt having fun

you killed your self with doing repetitive races for cash/rp

so now you had an overkill because of it being repetitive

you have your 10car house, and your supercars

so there is no motivation for that anymore

you're dulled out because you spend alot of time

and you feel beter because you have stuff that doesnt matter

gta online is fun, if you have actual fun not caring about that the car that drives you from a to b sometimes should be car x

i have loads of fun, even doing same missions, we dont just rush all in our own car to the yellow dot, we move in groups, scout the enviroment, try to do the mission different then last time, try to do the mission more stealthy, try to do the mission in overpowerd ways with heli back ups, air strikes, jets we stole before etc.

if you rush there and just start shooting... niggu you might as well just go play duckhunt or the same auto aiming get behind cover railgame gears of wars... or maby a race game and choose the same lap over and over.

but you're not gonna do that

because you are burned out by doing the same dumb round around the prisson for 100+ times because you think money/car was fun and status

i bet you put monopoly money in your pocket too when you go outside... same principle...

I disagree, i don't think it's as easy as, "you glitched, you ruined it for yourself", you can't blame the customer for a bad product. nice try, how long have you been working for R*? 

Epi
  • Epi

might be a girl in rl

• Members

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:15 PM Edited by Epi, 29 October 2013 - 07:17 PM.

who ever said the word glitch? 

im talkign about doing repetitive stuff because your goal is something that doesnt matter in game

spending too much time on something boring burns you out

game is dull, please show me your enjoyed everything ls has to offer award/trophy/achievment. most of the whiners did 10% of the game and the rest is unchecked in their map still.

im not condoning glitching...hell go glitch more cash does make the game more fun because you dont have to stress while banking cash, you can buy loads of nates/stickies, you dont have to care about health costs

but it''s oke bro keep saying to yourself that its the game and not your own fault. i wont miss you and appereantly your ego cant handle the truth so plz go ahead lie to yourself

some of the glitchers do to : im glitching because r* this that... no bitch your glitching no because....

be a man, and if sh*t happens take it like a men

Scumbaggah
  • Scumbaggah

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:36 PM

Agreed. The level to which this forum's users feel the need to "enhance" their arguments with insults is disappointing. Many good points are lost. Adding the "punch" of an insult doesn't enhance your case or make it alone, it devalues it. Those who may have been in agreement can and will be lost. But que sera sera.

The simple truth is we will NEVER agree and insulting someone for not do so makes no sense. We all have different measuring sticks as to what makes a "good" game. Better graphics? Enhanced physics? Bigger open world? More missions? Better single player story? The list goes on.

As for "variety" I find it ironic some players scream for more variety and yet the same players want it spoon fed down their throats. The variety is there. R* just didn't script it for you. For example: http://www.youtube.c...d&v=ku5KTFSr3LA. How's that for variety? All R* did was provide the platform. The greater variety is up to us. If it's variety of options (i.e., customization) we must remember that there has to be a line in the sand somewhere. Give players 10 choices of jacket and they'll want 15. Give 'em 15, they'll want 20. Could one argue that R* used creative phrasing in promoting is variety of options and missions? Sure. Welcome to the world of advertising. And lastly, that type of variety can and will be constantly enhanced through DLC. Patience my friends, patience.

Happy gaming friends. I hope we can shoot each other in the face some day! ;)

P.S. Allow me to steal your thunder... "Smokey is a fag." Boo-ya!

Yeah I think everyone has seen that vid, The telling point in that is the cargobob, It's the funnest thing in the game but it doesn't spawn for me anymore so... there is only so long you can sit there ramming your friends and doing burnouts before it gets boring. Honestly there isn't that much to do in free roam (Bounties, Armoured trucks, Simeon vehicles, Impromptu races, 4 boring "sports")But hey if that is your thing then go for it! I just want to be challenged from this game.

As someone pointed out Los Santos Connection has the right idea. I want immersive and challenging missions, Don't give me bullsh*t about limitations that prevent this all they need to do is combine a few of the missions. Most of them you spend longer in the loading screens than you do completing the actual mission.
  • SmokeyB34Rx likes this

Pbmaster2k89
  • Pbmaster2k89

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:41 PM

Forced dunce cap for a week because I like to blow sh*t up.... They offer me Sticky Bombs, Grenades, RPG, Grenade Launcher, Minigun, Gasoline, Buzzard, Rhino, hell even a pistol shooting the gas trail on a car will make it explode. Then they force me to wear a f*cking dunce cap?? It's just mind boggling stupid. Aside from that I love the game but I can't tolerate wearing this pointy f*cking hat for weeks.

I havent had this problem, yet, but i have to agree that this is one thing ruining the experience. The bs bad sport feature

egoloss
  • egoloss

Adam Santos

• Members

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:45 PM

They should send people to bad sport servers but without the dunce cap. What purpose does it serve? Let people who blow sh*t up frequently play with others like them. Is not being able to play with their friends not punishment enough?

shunsuke
  • shunsuke

AKA, Masatooo !

• Members

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:07 PM

Yes, because 500 unique missions is a realistic aim for a launch title. No offence OP, but I'm pretty sure you set your expectations way too high.

I agree. Anyone who really thought that there would be 500 completely unique missions is incredibly naïve. There are only so many ways you can kill, steal and race in a game.
I get a kick out of people's expectations from a $60 product.
That's a real easy thing to say after the game was released and the truth about the missions became obvious. However, I agree. There are only so many ways to kill, steal and race in a game. I bet if you give me 5 years I could come up with more than they did for GTAO, though ... and I bet you could, too.
Doesn't anyone question why after 5 years of developement we ended up with activities (ahem, missions, sorry) no more technologically advanced and well thought out than arm wrestling, darts (was in GTA4), races (been in GTA since forever), base jumping (was in GTA as early as SA), Death Match (because that's original), survival (well, okay, not too bad)? And people around here claim CoD fans are just buying the same game. But, as much as I'm going to hate myself a little for typing this, at least it doesn't take them 5 years to recycle it. 
     You see, I'm pretty much your opposite. I get a kick out of trying to figure out how people are okay with such low expectations.

yes! you're so much better than Rockstar.

Kromix
  • Kromix

Peon

• Members

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:59 PM

game is boring, broken and repetitive ... Its way more fun coming here and see people defend Rockstar like its their mum, swallowing one bad deal after another while saying please and thank you ...

Im out, just like all the other degenerates who find GTAO boring - clearly we dont get it like all you serious mature gamers out there ...

Don Fraser
  • Don Fraser

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:28 AM

I love the campaign but the online just seems lazy and repetitive.
All of the apartments look exactly the same.  when i call for a job i almost always get the same job i just played. ive been punished twice for being a bad sport and all I did was get kicked from lobbys for no reason at all.

Dont get me wrong the online was fun for about two weeks but the lack of missions and horrible community has just ruined this game for me. For me this game would have been a lot better if there was actually 500 real missions, not races and deathmatches.

It starts of all wrong..... For one how could you have loved the campaign? So short, lack of missions and replayability and just didn't have that X factor that we seen when GTA SA hit the shelves. And now we start on the online! For the 5+ years they spent on developing their game you wonder what they've actually achieved? Seriously whoever began planning this game was a moron. The first thing they should have done was just get the ideas flowing from SA, NOT GTA IV. GTA IV was probably one of the biggest let downs, but it had its reasons yes? A lack of experience on a new engine, a new console. But there is no excuses for what they have done to V. All they needed to do was pick up from where they left at SA but again they were too lazy to reconstruct certain features from the game. And it wouldn't have delayed the game for anybody using that excuse. When you have had 5 years to work on that game you walk out with a finished, polished piece of mastery both inside and outside. Instead we have been given a beautiful looking piece of mastery only to find out that although it looks and sounds good it's a fake, it misses those key features that brand it alongside those other great GTA titles

SmokeyB34Rx
  • SmokeyB34Rx

The Revelator

• Members

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:53 AM

Agreed. The level to which this forum's users feel the need to "enhance" their arguments with insults is disappointing. Many good points are lost. Adding the "punch" of an insult doesn't enhance your case or make it alone, it devalues it. Those who may have been in agreement can and will be lost. But que sera sera.

The simple truth is we will NEVER agree and insulting someone for not do so makes no sense. We all have different measuring sticks as to what makes a "good" game. Better graphics? Enhanced physics? Bigger open world? More missions? Better single player story? The list goes on.

As for "variety" I find it ironic some players scream for more variety and yet the same players want it spoon fed down their throats. The variety is there. R* just didn't script it for you. For example: http://www.youtube.c...d&v=ku5KTFSr3LA. How's that for variety? All R* did was provide the platform. The greater variety is up to us. If it's variety of options (i.e., customization) we must remember that there has to be a line in the sand somewhere. Give players 10 choices of jacket and they'll want 15. Give 'em 15, they'll want 20. Could one argue that R* used creative phrasing in promoting is variety of options and missions? Sure. Welcome to the world of advertising. And lastly, that type of variety can and will be constantly enhanced through DLC. Patience my friends, patience.

Happy gaming friends. I hope we can shoot each other in the face some day! ;)

P.S. Allow me to steal your thunder... "Smokey is a fag." Boo-ya!

Yeah I think everyone has seen that vid, The telling point in that is the cargobob, It's the funnest thing in the game but it doesn't spawn for me anymore so... there is only so long you can sit there ramming your friends and doing burnouts before it gets boring. Honestly there isn't that much to do in free roam (Bounties, Armoured trucks, Simeon vehicles, Impromptu races, 4 boring "sports")But hey if that is your thing then go for it! I just want to be challenged from this game.

As someone pointed out Los Santos Connection has the right idea. I want immersive and challenging missions, Don't give me bullsh*t about limitations that prevent this all they need to do is combine a few of the missions. Most of them you spend longer in the loading screens than you do completing the actual mission.

I'm with you on that. I actually agree with a large number of the criticisms, just not the way or degree to which they are raised.

I had higher expectations of just how immersive GTAO would be. And technology is no excuse. If anyone remembers the original Fable game that's the level of my expectation. The character changed with the world and the way the player interacted with it. Not just stat bars but in physical appearance and "morality" which affected the way NPCs would react. A system such as this could have been implemented in GTAO and depending on how you play the game (violent, stealthy, vigilante, criminal, etc) different missions would appear from different NPCs, random events spawn differently and even the way cops treat you.

I certainly don't mean to suggest someone's opinion of GTA is wrong. it's theirs. Opinions by nature can neither be right or wrong--they're opinions not facts. Selfishly I hope to keep players open-minded about the potential for variety. I love to see videos out there of people trying all kinds of stuff because it gives me ideas. The more we keep experimenting, who knows...?

Mad Russian
  • Mad Russian

soviet friendly

• Members

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:15 AM

me and my friends have lots of fun... wont disappointing at all..

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=bJhMsmTm7Ks

Coyteria
  • Coyteria

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:17 AM

I feel like first person shooter type players need to leave GTA online. It just isn't right to have such randoms involve them selves in a game that doesn't have you looking out your e-eyes.

SanHor
  • SanHor

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:43 AM

Its probably fun if you play with friends. Otherwise, most players run home or switch sessions at the first sign of trouble because they don't want to risk losing silly virtual $$$. R* killed it with the cash shop.

DP Man
  • DP Man

GH3O ▲SS

• Members

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:12 AM

I'm starting to get pretty bored of it too, it's sad due to the fact that I played IV's online mode for 4 years and hardly lost interest. I think I'm going to go and pick up a copy of Battlefield 4 tomorrow, at least that has a lasting online appeal.

R.R
  • R.R

Soldier

• Members

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:24 AM

I'm starting to get pretty bored of it too, it's sad due to the fact that I played IV's online mode for 4 years and hardly lost interest. I think I'm going to go and pick up a copy of Battlefield 4 tomorrow, at least that has a lasting online appeal.

I had a chuckle.

Whatever floats your boat though, I guess.

redman7771red17
  • redman7771red17

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:01 AM Edited by redman7771red17, 30 October 2013 - 09:02 AM.

I have to agree with the exception of the game being repetitive.

But yes, this games online mode is starting to feel really sh*tty.

Every game has its flaws but godamn, GTAO has some serious issues. Its like rockstar was smoking crack when they were designing and balancing the multiplayer.

What chaps my ass is how they said things were subjected to change over time as we the players tested everything. They didn't touch  a damn thing unless it had something to do with cash.

Obvious issues like airstrikes not functioning half of the time, broken enemy A.I and spawn points, counter productive bad sport system, f*cked up passive mode, god awful party system if you can call it that, and poor gun balance haven't seemed to be touched yet but they wasted no time nerfing rewards and putting restrictions on farming.

I cant believe Im saying this but as for now in its current state, GTA O is one of the worst mutiplayer games I have played. 

Makes no sense because GTA4 was ok and RDR was fantastic.

teh_g
  • teh_g

Time for a brew..

• Members

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:04 AM

I honestly can't believe some people and their expectations.

A few people have hit the nail on the head with comments about it getting better, with fixes and new content this will be an amazing game.  Single player story mode is incredible the first time you play, and online will seek to re-create this but needs us to help shape it.

Rockstar have already said we are here to shape it and make it incredible.

People whom are bored and hating on it, need to stop playing it, seriously.  Get the f*ck offline.  You are the problem it's currently sh*t.

I've been playing video games for over 30 years.  I am a gamer, I have played Commodore +4, 64, Sinclair, A, Sega, Neo-Geo, NIntendo, Arcade games, MMOs, Pong.. I always wanted a title like this where I could play with friends in a huge online world, hell, i designed one when I was 13.  

Anyone remember Double Dragon? That was fun then, this is fun now.

We now have a game which could be AMAZING, but expectations are out of control.  It's the state of the world, you kids expect everything now, you're not willing to work at all for it.  That's why the game is under-rated now because everyone wanted an easy fix and glitched the fun out of it.  It's been live for 1 month, anyone remember how long WoW took to become popular and good?

I'll say again in caps so people can read it;

IF YOU'RE NOT PART OF THE SOLUTION, YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM.

• Chaos-Elite likes this

EliteGamer
  • EliteGamer

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:31 AM

Yes, because 500 unique missions is a realistic aim for a launch title. No offence OP, but I'm pretty sure you set your expectations way too high.

Actually I don’t think 500 would’ve been impossible considering a) how many missions have been in GTA games over the years and b) how frequently GTA Online recycles mission ideas. (Note however the distinction between “What you expect” and “What you consider possible” and well if players believe unrealistic claims then IMO the majority of the blame still lies with the developer for making them.)

Gerald has about 9 variants of “Go here, retrieve drugs”.

Simeon has about 10 variants of “Go here, retrieve car”.

Lamar has about 6 variants of “Go here, retrieve tanker”.

(“Go here, retrieve trailer”, “Go here, retrieve boat”, “Go here, kill target, photo target”, “Go here with heli, retrieve container” all occur multiple times too).

So if they’re comfortable using the same mission idea 6-10 times then for 500 all they’d need to do is look through their back-catalogue and find what.. 60 base missions to copy. That sounds like a lot but it’s less than a standard GTA game and they have a big pool to pick from.

GTA3 had 73 missions

GTA:VC had 74 missions

GTA:SA had 114 missions

GTAIV had 87 missions

GTA:TLaD had 32 missions

GTA:TBoGT had 31 missions

GTAV had 122 missions

Though what exactly qualifies as a mission here is subject to debate and certainly a lot of plot missions or minigame missions wouldn’t work so consider this a rough estimate. (There’s also GTA, GTA London, GTA2, GTA:LCS, GTA:VCS & GTA:CW but I was just counting the 3D-era “main” titles)

Still each of the full games has 70+ base missions and with mission recycling GTAO would only need about 60. Buut if you say mission recycling isn’t the right way to go about things then GTAO has already failed. Discounting “cloned” missions (the same mission just in a different location) leaves GTAO only having about 50 different missions and some of them are clearly half-baked. (~91 missions to start with so there are LOTS of doubled up missions). Also if you claim you’ll have 500 missions but you only have 400 then that isn’t so bad... when you claim to have 500 but you only have 91 or even 50 then that really is. (I don’t think 100-200 missions would’ve be unrealistic, considering how copy-pasted some of the missions are).

Basically GTAO has considerably less mission content than a standard GTA game, whilst aiming for a much larger scope and a much longer lifetime.

You see, I'm pretty much your opposite. I get a kick out of trying to figure out how people are okay with such low expectations.

Realistic =/= low.

You have to remember, this is a whole new thing for RS. Hell, other than APB (which was a tremendous failure on a lot of fronts), this is a whole new thing for the genre. The fact that they had the balls to do it impresses me by itself tbh.

If you think about previous GTA games, each one has effectively kept the same basic forumla for the majority of missions - go there, steal that, kill that, go home - so it's no surprise to me that the majority of the online missions are exactly the same, because the formula is exactly the same in GTAV. If the whole 3 protag thing didn't happen in GTAV, it would effectively be bringing nothing new to the table at all.

On the subject of innovation - how many games in recent years have truly been innovative, and how have they gone in the market, and how many have been from big devs/publishers? I can think of games like Mirror's Edge, Alpha Protocol, the first Assassins Creed, Portal, maybe the STALKER games, that were true innovators for different reasons. If you look at those games, all but maybe one or two of them were massive flops.

RS aren't really the type of company, and GTA isn't really the type of franchise, that they can take chances like that, not for a game launch anyway. I can see them adding innovative stuff down the track, but that's wholly dependent on the data they'll be getting from the way we're playing, and how much of the commmunity sticks around after the first couple of DLC packs.

So yeah, my expectations weren't low - they were just realistic.

Uhhh what? GTA3 was an innovative game, it’s largely responsible for the Sandbox genre and hundreds of games have been influenced by it. (Note that popularizing an idea is just as important as being the origin of an idea). Sure Rockstar have rested on their laurels a lot since then, but still Saint’s Row, Just Cause, Prototype, Infamous, Assassin’s Creed & Sleeping Dogs probably wouldn’t be the same without GTA3.

Actually do you know what the word innovative even means? I’ll grant that the games you’re mentioning have something unique or unusual about them, but I wouldn’t say they illustrated new ideas or new values.

Mirror’s Edge – Unique art style and pairing up platforming + first person is unusual... largely because it’s a terrible terrible idea. You could possibly arguing that pushing for pacifism is unique too but it doesn’t follow it the whole way and other games have done it better.

Alpha Protocol – More like a re-tread of old ideas (branching paths) than something new and really the game feels like a failed experiment anyway.

Assassin’s Creed – Crusade-era Jerusalem was an interesting and different setting, but it falls apart completely with all that animus rubbish and Desmond “Personality-Vacuum” Miles. Also it seems like the only semi-new idea the game brought to the table was basically “auto-platforming”.

Portal – Interesting and unique mechanic, plus it is a game the skews a number of conventions. I have trouble pin-pointing anything particularly innovative about it, but there are some obvious Portal clones around so maybe it counts. Maybe we can count the idea of an omnipresent blabbermouth antagonist to compensate for a mute protagonist?

Haven’t played Stalker so I can’t comment on that one.

(The games industry does have serious problems with lack of innovation and stagnation but calling the games you mentioned flops is simply wrong. Portal was a huge success, Assassin’s Creed is now a massive series and Stalker ALSO seems to be going strong. Mirror’s Edge and Alpha Protocol flopped but I think that was due to problems with the games rather than them being too new or too different)

Now if I had to nominate semi-recent innovative games...

Minecraft (proving that graphics aren’t the be-all, end-all of games),
CoD4 (yes the series has been on endless repeat ever since then but still I think killstreaks and perks were interesting ideas and it’s done a lot to popularize online multiplayer),
Canabalt (proving one-button games can be fun and engaging, even if it can trace its origins to the helicopter game),

Dark Souls/Demon’s Souls (proving the value of brutal combat, along with interesting if not fully developed multiplayer),

MOBAs in general (whole genre exploded nearly overnight)

F2P, Episodic and Kickstart models (obviously not games and sure they have their own teething problems but they’re new ideas which can lead to different types of games)

Planetside 2 (the MMOFPS has been the Holy Grail of games for a long time and PS2 is the closest the industry has gotten. Yes it’s just doing the same thing on a different scale, but that in itself presents new challenges and opportunities.)

I’d also say the character switching mechanic of GTAV was pretty innovative too. Sure similar mechanics have been around for a long time (I remember something similar in BF2:MC or more recently you can think of Driver:SF) but GTAV shows some new and interesting ways to use the mechanic.

Incidentally I’d also say that the problem of weak innovation in the gaming industry isn’t because nobody can come up with ideas, it’s because one guy comes up with an idea and 50,000 people rush to copy it.

Is it really that hard to put the controller down? The amount of people on here saying they don't like "this" or "that" about the game is staggering. 

Good, great, grand, you REALLY can't just stop playing without having to bitch about it on a forum? Really? You really just can't wait till announcements? You just HAVE to bitch?

Criticism =/= Bitching.

Seriously most of the OP’s complaints are pretty reasonable and surely it’s okay to talk about the faults of a work-in-progress game which actively solicits feedback from its players.

Liking the game is fine, but getting needlessly defensive about valid complaints is just dumb.

The game WOULD be better with customizable apartments.
The game WOULD be better with more missions and more varied missions.

The game WOULD be better with tweaked ‘request job’ options.

The game WOULD be better with some rethinking of the bad-sport and passive-mode systems (but IMO a lot of the bad sport complaints are blown out of proportion).

The only problem here is that “horrible” is kinda hyperbolic.

A few people have hit the nail on the head with comments about it getting better, with fixes and new content this will be an amazing game.

It could be an amazing game, in about 2-3 years. Assuming a) Rockstar keeps updating it the whole time, b) None of the new updates introduce new problems, c) Rockstar recognizes and addresses their mistakes, d) The game manages to retain a playerbase throughout the whole process.

Really the question I would ask the optimists is how they're able to reconcile polar opposite views for past claims ("Well OF COURSE Rockstar were never going to actually deliver on that claim, it just wasn't possible") and future promises ("Have some faith guys, Rockstar said it will be good so we should just take their word")

• teh_g likes this

tom_p1980
  • tom_p1980

Semi-Retired Forum Junkie

• Members
  • England

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:42 AM Edited by tom_p1980, 30 October 2013 - 10:44 AM.

It could be an amazing game, in about 2-3 years. Assuming a) Rockstar keeps updating it the whole time, b) None of the new updates introduce new problems, c) Rockstar recognizes and addresses their mistakes, d) The game manages to retain a playerbase throughout the whole process.

The playerbase within GTAOnline will be halved this time next year as people jump to the next gen within the next 12 months and leave the game to rot, at which point R* themselves will just cut their losses and leave the game to die whilst they work on next gen projects.

If they really had plans to make this game sustainable over the long term they wouldn't have released it in the dying days of the current gen. As you say in 2 to 3 years this game could have been amazing, had this been years ago when the current gen was at it's peak. Sadly it wasn't and this game will die a slow painful death as the next gen approaches.

teh_g
  • teh_g

Time for a brew..

• Members

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:50 AM

Thanks for editing my post Elitegamer, and I agree with your post.

I am an optimist, I believe we will see good things.

These videos are awesome, they really show what fun you can have with your imagination.

Please watch and tell me if you don't find these hilarious.

Thanks Vanoss and Friends for the great laughs :)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=er0dF7Esk_c

Don Fraser
  • Don Fraser

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:15 PM

I honestly can't believe some people and their expectations.

Rockstar have already said we are here to shape it and make it.

I like how you've said this. But I ask you now, so we are here to shape the game and help make it into an AMAZING game. But to. Won't accept the criticism that the game gets?

This game is below par, fact. This game is still extraordinary but not amazing, fact. This game lacks a lot of features, fact. And finally the grand piece, R* have been extremily lazy and ignorant, fact. If you can't see this you are the blind.

So do I need to go into detail about this games single player and multiplayer being disappointing? I really don't think you can if you are a true fan of the series and understand my stance

RetardOfTheYear
  • RetardOfTheYear

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:48 PM

Those that had no expectation enjoy GTA online a bit, I guess, those that expected the game to be at least very good (the SP was quite good don't get me wrong) have already stopped (like me) for a while. I'm actually surprised to enjoy Path of Exile more than GTA online... and it's a free to play!

KiLLe12-X
  • KiLLe12-X

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:23 PM

GTA online is horrible...

Said no one ever.

ALOT of people have said this.. And will continue saying it until R* gives us what we were promised in full.

Forced dunce cap for a week because I like to blow sh*t up.... They offer me Sticky Bombs, Grenades, RPG, Grenade Launcher, Minigun, Gasoline, Buzzard, Rhino, hell even a pistol shooting the gas trail on a car will make it explode. Then they force me to wear a f*cking dunce cap?? It's just mind boggling stupid. Aside from that I love the game but I can't tolerate wearing this pointy f*cking hat for weeks.

Thats what you get. There are literally 20-30x more cars on the roads than player cars and you cant find something else to blow up other than the 15 dots on your map? Not to mention:

=EXPLOSIVE USES=

Sticky Bombs: Armored trucks, Cement trucks (missions) and Jets (missions)

Grenades: Deathmatch, TDM, Missions, GTA Races, Evading Cops and Bounty Hunting

RPGs: Tanks that are a threat (this can include PVP ones), Cement Trucks (missions), Jets (missions), Helicopters (Survival/Threat PVP/Police)

Grenade Launcher: Tanks that are a threat (this can include PVP ones), Cement Trucks (missions), Jets (missions), Helicopters (Survival/Threat/PVP/Police), Armored Vehicles (military and swat), Survival

Minigun: Survival, Police, Missions (1 of Lesters missions comes to mind) and Heists in the future

Gasoline: At lower levels this was great for No Hay Broca, the mission for Gerald in order to blow up the cars.. This can also be used for 1 of Simeons missions.

Buzzard: Police, Missions (especially Martins missions) and Bounty Hunting

Rhino: Police, Missions (again, can think of a Lester mission that would need this), Bounty Hunting (overkill though..).

The only reason you'd have for blowing up another players car is if A) It was a total accident (I tried to commit suicide once and accidentally blew up a friends car that was parked too close to the gas station) or B) you were being a douche intentionally, at which point you deserve it. Now then.. Tell us more of why you dont deserve the pointy hat.

It was R* whose miss leaded everyone about the variety of missions. when you say 500 missions who thinks of races and deathmatchesr 

Me, and other intelligent folk

You're just being a jackass right now. You know damn well everyone expected actual jobs, and alot more than recycled jobs sometimes even from the same person (Martin has not 1 but 2 missions where you follow a car.. Kill the target.. Pickup/photo the body and run from cops). The other things are more mini-games than anything.

I agree. Anyone who really thought that there would be 500 completely unique missions is incredibly naïve. There are only so many ways you can kill, steal and race in a game.

I get a kick out of people's expectations from a $60 product.

You're right. I guess that games like Skyrim and Fallout must be cheating somehow with their massive stories and insane amounts of side missions/stories. You sound like a cod gamer.. expecting the developer to just copy-paste everything over from the previous title and you take that abuse and get ripped off because "Hey, its only $60, what do you expect?" Sheep.

Yes it's horrible...I went online tonight and get chased down and run over any time I try to do a job. Can't even f*cking play. I won't be going back online

Go into a Solo or Friends Only room. And if you want to start a job but think its too dangerous just go to your map with about $500 on your person and you'll be able to start a job anywhere on the map by pressing the Square button (on PS3).

Mikeol1987
  • Mikeol1987

GTAF Rep

• Members
  • England

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:39 PM

I am starting to get sick of gta online not alot of it is very fun. Races = ramming dickheads. missions = repetitive. freemode = full of spawn killing c*nts. I think I am going to remove myself completely from playing on public servers as its just not fun and quite infuriating when you are trying to have a laugh with a friend then someone comes along and spawn kills over and over.

This is not going to be the big success rockstar want it to be because it just turns into a two block shootout/mess with the same kind of c*nts over and over and over again, it gets so f*cking boring.
  • Scumbaggah likes this

Omnicr0n
  • Omnicr0n

Magnificent Bastard

• Members

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:45 PM

Apologists and excuse makers never help a game. Don't entertain them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users