Photo

"I love slipstream!"

18 replies to this topic
CaughtUp
  • CaughtUp

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:19 AM

Why are people so in love with slipstream? I see complaints about Catch Up, but slipstream has far greater consequences on the outcome of "races" in this game.

Racing in GTA5 is more of a struggle to hold second place than it is a shoot for the finish line. I'm not looking for a racing sim, but I don't want to put myself into the mind set of "lose to win" before every race, either. Once two people start riding each other, you can literally slipstream yourself and the other guy to the finish line with no chance of anyone catching up. I've been fortunate enough to be pair with like minded individuals in the same lobby, the kind who can differ between someone trying to kill them, and someone trying to jointly slipstream to a win.

With all of that being said, I merely assume people have taken so kindly to slipstream because after searching and searching, I have yet to find anyone truly upset with this mechanic.

*Remove auto-targeting players.

• Crimson Glyph likes this

Boomify
  • Boomify

Whip it in my Volvo

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:25 AM

Because it's a thing in real life.

chainsoar
  • chainsoar

rider of bikes

• Members
  • England

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:47 AM

From directly behind another vehicle. Not from 15 feet away. Slipstream is broken and needs fixing, badly.

Boomify
  • Boomify

Whip it in my Volvo

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:50 AM

From directly behind another vehicle. Not from 15 feet away. Slipstream is broken and needs fixing, badly.

In LeMans racing its from much farther away due to the massive wings and downforce. 

kljy
  • kljy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:17 AM

In LeMans racing its from much farther away due to the massive wings and downforce. 

yes but in real life, once your car gets out of the slipstream zone, the wind will slow you down again, and because of that, it  is impossible to overtake the car in front of you. you can only get behind him or in the same level as him, never overtake and go faster.

Slipstream in this game, as well as catchup, is a joke! Not to mention that they should implement a 'Ghost vehicle ON' option, where you could see the other player's cars but if you tried to touch them, you would just go through them, because right now, races are based on which driver had the most luck coming out of the pile of crashing cars, instead of rewarding skilled drivers.

Boomify
  • Boomify

Whip it in my Volvo

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:23 AM

Complaining about unrealism yet wants ghost car. i don't even...

QGMC
  • QGMC

AA pro

• Members

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:07 AM

Don't feel threatened, better make a conversation like a man with no feelings and no drama. 

So slip is bad as the guys above explained and catch up? meh..: Kids party. Well I liked more the previous version of gta. Hope theyl fix :)

MootWizard
  • MootWizard

Rat

• Members

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:23 AM

I completely agree with the ghost car thing, the amount of races I have almost come 1st in only to have some tool PIT manoeuvre you is crazy.

kljy
  • kljy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:43 AM

Complaining about UNFAIR unrealism. Ghost vehicles would be like time trial -.- But time trial would take a lot of time if done 'one player races, than the other, than the other, ...'.  This is the best way to introduce a time trial without taking too damn long.

N_Devil
  • N_Devil

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:26 PM

right now, races are based on which driver had the most luck coming out of the pile of crashing cars, instead of rewarding skilled drivers.

QFT.

Stopped playing races because I got tired of being first or second only to someone catch up, ram and made me spin only to finish last.

lolmattjk
  • lolmattjk

Machiavillian

• Members

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:57 AM Edited by lolmattjk, 29 October 2013 - 06:02 AM.

Woah, ghost cars. Why didn't I think of that? Brilliant.

I also got way sick of racing because there was always some idiot (or in most cases 6 of the 8 players) would all slam in to the corner and sh*tstorm the entire race. And people who pit manuever/ram into other drivers before a corner are bastards.

edit: just remembered this was originally about slipstream.I think it's a fun feature occasionally but can be used too easily for an unfair advantage. Maybe just shorten the effective length?

BuyMeTheMoon
  • BuyMeTheMoon

Homie

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Norway

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:21 AM

I think slipstream is nice, gives you a chance to go ahead at the last second if you play your cards right. I think its a little too much unrealistic though, you get one hell of a boost out of it, and you don't even need to be right behind to slipstream and it still works when you loose track in corners.. What I don't like is catchup, and that everyone feels the need to crash and make a big mess in the first 20 seconds of the race, making it based a lot on luck to win. 

Juzzy.jt
  • Juzzy.jt

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:30 AM

I think they need to decrease the speed you gain. Maybe have it so you can catch up behind them but none of the super speed we're getting atm.

M210F
  • M210F

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:18 AM

Slipstream as a mechanic is fine, it's how it was implemented- you gain enough momentum to overtake the car ahead of you in like 2 seconds from 50 feet away. I think the mechanic would be fine if you had to practically tailgate the person for several seconds before you could overtake them. There's no point trying to get an early lead, because all that will happen is someone rams you from behind as they're slipstreaming you and you get sent spinning out.

Zelyth
  • Zelyth

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:41 AM

who cares

MootWizard
  • MootWizard

Rat

• Members

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:52 AM

Slipstream as a mechanic is fine, it's how it was implemented- you gain enough momentum to overtake the car ahead of you in like 2 seconds from 50 feet away. I think the mechanic would be fine if you had to practically tailgate the person for several seconds before you could overtake them. There's no point trying to get an early lead, because all that will happen is someone rams you from behind as they're slipstreaming you and you get sent spinning out.

I agree, no matter how good you take a corner or get out of the 5 car pile-up there's always some novice with slipstream on his side to overtake you just before the finish line.

Crimson Glyph
  • Crimson Glyph

Garfunkel Squirts

• Members

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:32 AM

who cares

Why did you even post?

Slipstream is broken as it currently stands. Simply doesn't make sense to make the second place driver guaranteed to win just because of it. Only way to avoid the second place person winning is to swerve left and right on the track to keep them from streaming, and if you're doing that, you're losing speed anyway.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:23 AM

I need 4 more slipstreams to unlock the Lava Red paint set. I'm a fan of slipstream, if only you could use it online as well.

Dixarect
  • Dixarect

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:16 PM

I cannot stand slipstream. It should be in the game, don't get me wrong, but it's a huge over kill. Make me rage all of the time

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users