Photo

3 character system sucks imo...

40 replies to this topic
StarOfStar
  • StarOfStar

Rat

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:24 PM

I mean its still fun and all and cool in its own way. But i'd rather concentrate on one character, and train only it, as my own ingame character. Its good that R* took a risk like always, and tries something new, but not in this scenario.

Going to gym and become a big bodybuilder, or get big fat boy buy eating alot etc, like in san andreas, i miss and loved that. It was so great, that you could just train your own characters abilities and collect money and properties to only you, not just switch to 3 different characters which you cant get a connection with.

This system doesnt feel right and i cant get that connection with this game, as i coulded with previous gta'. Anyone agree?
  • UltraGizmo64 likes this

Red XIII
  • Red XIII

FourTwoZero

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:29 PM

I don't agree, I thought towards the end of the story was quite intense, that tells me that I made a connection with the characters. I actually felt quite bad for Trevor.

• KingPancakes likes this

Lanzfeld113
  • Lanzfeld113

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:32 PM

I agree with OP.

One character would be better.

The game was made for the ADD crowd though.

StarOfStar
  • StarOfStar

Rat

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:36 PM

I don't agree, I thought towards the end of the story was quite intense, that tells me that I made a connection with the characters. I actually felt quite bad for Trevor.

youre talking about different connection. what i meant was, that the characters you are playing with doesnt feel like "your own" characters, like it does in SA for example

RockstarFanboy
  • RockstarFanboy

GTA #2 FANBOY / Loyal R* Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:41 PM

have to disagree... whenever I was boring playing with one character I could just change to another character and do diffrent stuff... and IMO the best part is you can associate your game style to each character.... if you feel like taking a ride at your fancy car, you play as michael but if you feel like doing crazy stuff and exploding everything, you play as trevor... makes everything much more fun

• IveGotNoValues likes this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:41 PM

I liked being able to experience the world from three different perspectives. The game just felt different depending on who you were playing.

• SmoothGetaway likes this

spamtackey
  • spamtackey

Business Socks

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:45 PM

youre talking about different connection. what i meant was, that the characters you are playing with doesnt feel like "your own" characters, like it does in SA for example

I never felt like CJ was my own character. He was still the same guy no matter if I made him strong or weak, thin or fat, muscles or no muscles. A few bits of dialog change but the character did not, he did not feel like my own. This is for good reason. Rockstar are telling stories and the last thing that a story needs is for the audience to come in and make their own insertion character. It rarely works out. It works in Saint's Row because Saint's Row is silly as all can be, but Rockstar haven't fallen that far away from mature storytelling yet IMO. 

RowanSane
  • RowanSane

SURF crew Commissioner, Xbox 360

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:48 PM

I disagree. Multiple characters allowed for a more complex story, though the mechanism wasn't perfect especially during missions. As for 'connection', customising CJ (including his build) did make him feel like 'my CJ' but he was still CJ. I don't expect to have the degree of connection you're talking about outside of a roleplaying game - Skyrim, Fallout, Dragon Age. It makes more sense to customise our Online characters IMO, since that story is 'ours'.

Just my opinion though.

GTAspotter
  • GTAspotter

Middle Park East/Rockford Hills Resident

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:18 AM

I agree, I prefer having one protag and watching them develop over time and forming an emotional bond to them, and while this can happen with 3 protags, it is not as strong and intense as it is with one protagonist.

zielarz119
  • zielarz119

Peon

• Members

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:28 AM

I agree. One protagonist is better, for example if you think about GTA IV there is Niko in your mind and his story, same with other GTA's

Also what was the story of GTA V? Heists? (michael wants retire but finally...

Spoiler
) thats not good enough for story, I think Michael alone would be better even with 69 missions excluding heists preparation

keeronv
  • keeronv

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:57 AM Edited by keeronv, 28 October 2013 - 01:05 AM.

I mean its still fun and all and cool in its own way. But i'd rather concentrate on one character, and train only it, as my own ingame character. Its good that R* took a risk like always, and tries something new, but not in this scenario.

Going to gym and become a big bodybuilder, or get big fat boy buy eating alot etc, like in san andreas, i miss and loved that. It was so great, that you could just train your own characters abilities and collect money and properties to only you, not just switch to 3 different characters which you cant get a connection with.

This system doesnt feel right and i cant get that connection with this game, as i coulded with previous gta'. Anyone agree?

ME TOO ! I agree!

I liked the 3 characters, but they seemed distant and you didnt feel like any one of them, it felt like watching a movie and you was just a spectator.

I prefer to just have 1 IN - DEPTH character, that you feel like the actual character instead of just watching them and feeling like you are watching a movie.

The missions were AWESOME controlling 3 characters however, the part where your torturing that guy as TREVOR and then switching back to franklin and micheal was awesome.

The story was awesome and the missions were too, but i would prefer a more IN - DEPTH story. It ended like a Stupid Movie suggesting that there would be a sequel, I couldnt even tell it was the Ending, and i thought WTF! lol.

It ended abruptly. imo, Maybe its because it didnt go in - depth it felt like it was over quickly.

Lock N' Stock
  • Lock N' Stock

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:59 AM

I like it, it adds more variety to the game.

lizardman563
  • lizardman563

Give your free will a chance, you've got to want to succeed.

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:31 AM

I disagree. With having one protagonist it forces you to play as someone you might not relate to or respect, with 3 characters you have a choice and the characters in GTA V are so diverse that there are probably few people who didn't like atleast 1 of them. Also, there is nothing "ADD" about liking multiple characters. Hell, if anything, you have to be able to focus and pay attention alot more with 3 characters than you do with just 1. 

IveGotNoValues
  • IveGotNoValues

Half Mexican/half white...I'm a vanilla bean!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:41 AM

I disagree, The 3 character thing was definitely a success. I can switch characters depending on my mood, which gives me options, and we all know options are a good thing. 

fish61324
  • fish61324

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:08 AM

I agree that one character would be better. But because of the whole weight lifting and eating thing.... I hated that in San Andreas.... but because of the other part you wrote. I want ONE character... to have properties, money, cars, etc.... I don't want to have to split all that up between 3 guys. like if I want to drive or fly around with one character in a a specific vehicle, then I want ti get in a different vehicle, I have to switch characters... then I have to switch back when I want back in the other vehicle. NOT FUN

gtaftw69
  • gtaftw69

Snitch

• Members

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:10 AM

It's nice to have just one character, I get more involved in the story that way. 3 characters works but only just IMO. If they want to have 3 characters then the game needs to be a lot longer otherwise it feels like more of a gimmick than something amazing!

Loxley
  • Loxley

This member is no longer active.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:38 AM

If you can't get a connection with these characters. then go play something mindless, with nothing to the story and bland cartoon characters like SA.

Kifflom!
  • Kifflom!

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:02 AM

i disagree now go suck a c*ck

kifflom

User was warned for this post

beanzinapot
  • beanzinapot

Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:19 AM

Agreed. I still haven't beat the story because you have to switch between characters. Whenever I play the story I'll start with Michael, but then after a while, I'm wondering to myself,"Why aren't there any missions popping up? Oh yea! *press down on dpad*, F*CK! 11 missions for Trevor!! 6 for Franklin!! Damnit!!

StarOfStar
  • StarOfStar

Rat

• Members

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:24 AM

i disagree now go suck a c*ck

kifflom

I dont do that nasty things that clearly, you do.

Funny how you think youre funny, with your "kifflom" thing, so unoriginal. This kid is all over this forum oh god, your mother should punch you in the face.

Emmi
  • Emmi

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:48 AM

It was good for 1 game but for the future I hope R* gets away from the multiple character system. One is better imo.

Chukkles
  • Chukkles

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:17 AM

For every 1 that doesn't like it there's 100 more that do.
Most people don't want gym crap back and actually love the 3 character system.
Because its good.

Tashan
  • Tashan

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:26 AM

There is room for a lot to improve. Current state of the system is fine but still needs some good changes otherwise no problems with three, two or one we get to play all in different shades than one.

also, as some one rightly pointed out more missions to live the characters as well!

rovert
  • rovert

Los Santos Hobo

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:33 AM

change is constant yo.

pitan666
  • pitan666

Snitch

• Members

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:01 PM

you suck imo

Lanzfeld113
  • Lanzfeld113

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:31 PM

For every 1 that doesn't like it there's 100 more that do.
Most people don't want gym crap back and actually love the 3 character system.
Because its good.

Wrong.

Making up numbers fail is a fail.

Lock N' Stock
  • Lock N' Stock

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:40 PM

The game was made for the ADD crowd though.

What's wrong with having ADD may I ask?

xXxTerrorist
  • xXxTerrorist

Snitch

• Members

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:59 PM Edited by xXxTerrorist, 28 October 2013 - 01:00 PM.

Switching for fun in freeroam is cool.

Being forced to switch constantly during missions ruins the emersion and disrupts flow.

Budweiser Addict
  • Budweiser Addict

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:02 PM

I quite enjoyed it actually. It allowed for a bit more multilayering to the plot: e.g. Not every protagonist had to be present at a significant story event, and the problems one character causes can impact that of the others. It's all about freedom VS good story, but I feel Rockstar balances them out better than some developers. That said however, it did make the story feel a bit more linear, like how you were completely cut off from Frank and Mike after gaining access to Trevor.

United_Stealth
  • United_Stealth

Scooter brother

• Members

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:03 PM

I do agree that you get more immersed into the story with only 1 character. 

But I also liked the 3 characters system.

I had to vote for 1 or multiple protags in the next gta, I think I'd vote for multiple protags.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users