Photo

My Overly Long Take on GTA IV and V

73 replies to this topic
CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:41 AM Edited by CantThinkOfOne2013, 10 November 2013 - 10:23 AM.

I actually bothered to read this, and, while I appreciate your effort to write this bullsh*t, it's still bullsh*t. The majority of people complaining about GTA V lead me to say the same thing over the over again:

THIS IS WHY WE CAN"T HAVE NICE THINGS

The problem with modern game industry and modern games is that all anyone cares about in a video game is the story, people cry 'Story This and 'Story That' without any regard for the most important part of a GAME, the GAMEPLAY! Just Have a look at Metal Gear Solid 4, 16 hours of cutscenes and only four hours of gameplay, and what do people do about it, hail it as the best 'game' ever made, another example of this problem is Mass Effect 2, yeah, sure the story is great but the gameplay is absolute garbage, and the level design, uggh, the less said about that the better.
Now, regarding GTA IV vs GTA V, I personally loved the story in GTA V, the three character approach made you feel like less of an 'errand boy' who is do anything as they are told, but that's beside the point. GTA V had better GAMEPLAY and there is no argument, the shooting feels better, the driving feels better, the planes are actually more than decorative props, there is a good variety of vehicles (GTA IV cut everything down the the bear minimums, even things like the Dozer, Tow Truck and Newsvan were cut for some bizarre unknown reason), better map design with more varied locations, no annoying cousins who ring you up every five minutes to go bowling or shoot pool, oh the list goes on. Many fans screamed for the return of a classic GTA with refined mechanics made possible from this generation of gaming and for good reason, but when we finally get one, people whine over the story and don't sit back and actually have some FUN (if anyone has even heard that word nowadays).

If this was TL,DR (Too long, didn't read), just see this:

Bowling-GTA4-gameplay.jpg

V-3-1280.jpg

You've got a choice in life: Fighter Jets or Bowling Alleys, if you had to think about that for more than the time it took you to steal your sister's hairspray, switch your form of entertainment... please!

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:53 AM

The problem with modern game industry and modern games is that all anyone cares about in a video game is the story, 

Like it or not, gaming is not an industry aimed to cater kids anymore. Adults also like to play. And adults want something else than cheap action. MGS4 was a MASTERPIECE. Walking dead games by TellTale are too. GTA 4 was. I´ll always remember the characters in these games, and some of its moments. Always. I´ll forget about Trevor in a couple of years after I stop playing this game.

I´m really sorry for those who can´t appreciate anything that takes some time to tell us a great story so the things that happen actually have some importance for us.

The big stuff you wrote is true: we can´t have nice things. Because some game developers listen to people like you and can´t make nice things. But there´ll always be Hideo Kojima I guess.

• kvic likes this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Damned Legend

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:26 PM Edited by B Dawg, 10 November 2013 - 04:35 PM.

GTA V had better GAMEPLAY and there is no argument, the shooting feels better, the driving feels better, the planes are actually more than decorative props, there is a good variety of vehicles (GTA IV cut everything down the the bear minimums, even things like the Dozer, Tow Truck and Newsvan were cut for some bizarre unknown reason), better map design with more varied locations, no annoying cousins who ring you up every five minutes to go bowling or shoot pool, oh the list goes on. Many fans screamed for the return of a classic GTA with refined mechanics made possible from this generation of gaming and for good reason, but when we finally get one, people whine over the story and don't sit back and actually have some FUN (if anyone has even heard that word nowadays).

GTA V having better gameplay is entirely subjective, casuals will prefer GTA V while hardcore gamers GTA IV in the gameplay department, not just the story, but the gameplay department as well.

What most of us wanted, is an IMPROVED GTA IV, it was one of the best things that ever happened, but it could have been better without the core gameplay being ruined for a bunch of small kids. We could have had amazing IV physics on a giant map with a huge countryside, but no. A big list of things done right in IV didn't return in GTA V. The mechanics you have in GTA V were already available last gen. Seriously, health regeneration, simplified driving and crash mechanics, shooting mechanics (almost non-existent bulletspread, while SA and IV had it)? GTA SA improved upon III and VC in almost every way, and we expected GTA V to improve upon GTA IV but unfortunately it did not at all. In fact, GTA SA seems to be better than GTA V in the gameplay department. The player no longer needs to put effort into the game.

@CantThinkOfOne I enjoyed Mass Effect 2, what exactly is wrong with its gameplay? It was done pretty well if you ask me.

• Bonnano likes this

mastershake616
  • mastershake616

The Wolf of BAWSAQ

• Members

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:18 PM

You also completely miss the point of comparison for The Godfather with GTA.  I was not calling it boring I was calling it slow, which it is. The point was that being slow and not having action every two minutes can work very well. The first Godfather movie takes a long time to get to any kind of shooting or action scenes because it's simply not needed.  Whether or not you find it boring is up to you. I personally like it for that. It gives us time to know the characters and makes it so that any gun that gets fired has more weight to it than a movie that opens with gunfire and death and action for the sake of having a big opening. I was trying to say that being slow can work but GTA IV didn't really pace itself so much as it tried to be realistic at the expense of pacing. Maybe I just worded it wrong, but honestly if Cappolla got insulted by that then he'd be extremely thin skinned and I'd wonder how he stuck out in the film industry for so long considering how many people have probably called the film worse than that. 

And where in your original post do you explain this? You can't just reference the f*cking Godfather movies as the quintessential example of plot pacing with, "...just look at the Godfather movies..." 

The experience I had while playing it is my own and I cannot make anyone experience it. 

There it is again!!! May as well say, "A table is a table." 

It's a free country, write whatever the f*ck you want, nobody is stopping you from doing that. Ignorance is bliss. 

A table is a table. 

For me, this post is something that I think I can best describe as being something that I felt because it was my own individual experience. Just look at the Mona Lisa. 

And those are my thoughts about what I felt about the post above which is something that is not bad but doesn't provide me with the same experience that I had felt before.

The end.

So essentially: "I am smarter than you. You are dumb. I will not explain why adequately, but I will only state that I found things wrong with what you say and then when you make the same mistake I will complain about it rather than point out why it was a mistake or how to do better because I am too smart."?

That's all I'm getting out of this. I tried responding nicely and you simply gave me a meaningless response much akin to the table sentence you used in your response. 

"You can't just-" Why not? You didn't explain it. 

"This is the same-" Then tell me how to do better or why this doesn't make any sense to you. Tell me how I'm supposed to word it or put it. "I don't know what it is to do that." is not an answer because you have enough information to complain about it. 

Otherwise you're post is as useless as my interpretation of it. 

See:

Time to play devil's advocate. 

I don't want to flame you, and I don't want to discourage you, but I became angrier the more and more I pressed through this ridiculously bland narrative. I'm telling you what I think, and I'm being blunt, but I'm also being honest. I didn't finish reading it, but that's because I knew it wasn't going to get any better. I'm not a 'tl;dr-er' and, no, I'm not a raging GTA V fanboy. 

This is brilliant stuff to a fifteen year-old, sure, but don't mistake yourself as a future columnist for the New Yorker. I appreciate the attempt to make this a readable piece, as opposed to something best left for a three-inch screen and impressionable tweens. So, uh, bravo for being literate, even if that comes at the expense of being a decent writer. 

I'm going to entail what I found wrong with your unintelligible scripture, and after that, I wish you luck in college, and hope that you can make me eat my words one day. Here we go:

- Almost every sentence reads like it's begging for qualification. What do I mean by this? Take, for example:

Something that I can't share with anyone, but rather I can only speak of what it was for me.

What are you trying to say here? That your time playing GTA IV was unique? That no other player could share the same experience? You couldn't have articulated that in a less complex way, yet the way you write implies that you believe it's the summit of critical thinking. Bleh. 

-A vast amount of omitted commas makes for a clunky, incohesive read. You wrote as you thought. And you didn't do any proofreading, did you? This is a first draft...I hope. 

-Modifiers that dangle like aged male genitalia (don't ask how I know what that looks like).

-This:

It took forever to get the pace going and even then it would stop and slow down and take its time doing anything. This can work,just look at The Godfather films...

Oh, I see what you did there! The Godfather films are notoriously slow-burning, but are widely accepted as some of the best movies in the history of filmmaking, right? Care to explain this, or will all the answers come to me when I "look at" The Godfather Trilogy? 

If I'm Francis Ford Cappolla, reading ignorant accusations like this, I'm pissed off. "Taking forever to get the pace going" (nice hyperbole) is not something anything should want to do well. This text-to-text comparison reeks of laziness. "Hey, The Godfather was boring as hell, but it's one of the greatest films ever! Why can't Grand Theft Auto do it right?"

-Your "TLDR" addendum might be the most sensible thing written in that gargantuan space, but here's what it SHOULD say:

TL;DR : GTA V is disappointing to me. 

In fact, why don't you replace the entire opening post with that? You managed to say the same thing hundreds of other users on this forum have been saying every day since the release of GTA V, only you were exceedingly annoying and anything but brief in doing so. 

I'm sorry for being such an insufferable dick to you, because you are far from the worst. Good luck in college, kid.  

spamtackey
  • spamtackey

Business Socks

• Members

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:32 PM

Your post might as well be the damn "Table is a table" for all the good it does. I ask you to fully explain yourself because you complain about me making the same mistake in my reply and instead you give me your original post. Well, since you invite me to read your first post, which explains nothing further than it did the first time, I invite you to reread my original reply to it as it hasn't really changed. Then maybe we can go in this damn circle for the rest of our lives. You have batman in your avatar so I can be the Joker. Just let me go find a picture. 

woggleman
  • woggleman

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:54 PM

I actually bothered to read this, and, while I appreciate your effort to write this bullsh*t, it's still bullsh*t. The majority of people complaining about GTA V lead me to say the same thing over the over again:

The problem with modern game industry and modern games is that all anyone cares about in a video game is the story, people cry 'Story This and 'Story That' without any regard for the most important part of a GAME, the GAMEPLAY! Just Have a look at Metal Gear Solid 4, 16 hours of cutscenes and only four hours of gameplay, and what do people do about it, hail it as the best 'game' ever made, another example of this problem is Mass Effect 2, yeah, sure the story is great but the gameplay is absolute garbage, and the level design, uggh, the less said about that the better.
Now, regarding GTA IV vs GTA V, I personally loved the story in GTA V, the three character approach made you feel like less of an 'errand boy' who is do anything as they are told, but that's beside the point. GTA V had better GAMEPLAY and there is no argument, the shooting feels better, the driving feels better, the planes are actually more than decorative props, there is a good variety of vehicles (GTA IV cut everything down the the bear minimums, even things like the Dozer, Tow Truck and Newsvan were cut for some bizarre unknown reason), better map design with more varied locations, no annoying cousins who ring you up every five minutes to go bowling or shoot pool, oh the list goes on. Many fans screamed for the return of a classic GTA with refined mechanics made possible from this generation of gaming and for good reason, but when we finally get one, people whine over the story and don't sit back and actually have some FUN (if anyone has even heard that word nowadays).

V-3-1280.jpg

You've got a choice in life: Fighter Jets or Bowling Alleys, if you had to think about that for more than the time it took you to steal your sister's hairspray, switch your form of entertainment... please!

I fully agree. I like a good story but number one should be gameplay. It is the fundamental component of video games and on that V beats IV IMO.  

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Playa

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:36 PM

great read OP

I agree with you on most points!

GTA IV is much better than V for me story is more important than gameplay

mastershake616
  • mastershake616

The Wolf of BAWSAQ

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:36 AM

Your post might as well be the damn "Table is a table" for all the good it does. I ask you to fully explain yourself because you complain about me making the same mistake in my reply and instead you give me your original post. Well, since you invite me to read your first post, which explains nothing further than it did the first time, I invite you to reread my original reply to it as it hasn't really changed. Then maybe we can go in this damn circle for the rest of our lives. You have batman in your avatar so I can be the Joker. Just let me go find a picture. 

I forgot what we were arguing about, probably because of the anger that manifested within as I read your overlong drivel. All I remember is an unrevised string of high school level rhetoric and you insulting The Godfather without realizing it. 

spamtackey
  • spamtackey

Business Socks

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:33 AM

I forgot what we were arguing about, probably because of the anger that manifested within as I read your overlong drivel. All I remember is an unrevised string of high school level rhetoric and you insulting The Godfather without realizing it. 

How interesting that one of the things we were arguing about was the whole Godfather thing, which you can remember for a quick and sloppy insult but forgot when asked to explain. Also, I like how you seem to expect genius-level material on an internet forum. "Oh boy you're work would only impress high school." is just silly. I never said "The most beautifully written take on GTA" I just said it was overly long. Maybe I should ask the mods to include "NOT A COLLEGE PAPER" to appease any college professors roaming the forums. 

Let's try this again without insulting each other, if that is possible.  

Part of your original reply:

"The Godfather films are notoriously slow-burning, but are widely accepted as some of the best movies in the history of filmmaking, right?"

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. They are notoriously slow burning. Some people hate them for it and other people love them for it, but nobody can deny the impact the films have had. Them being slow burning is one of the things I love about them, while it's the same reason my dad hates them and I have friends who refuse to watch them. I think GTA IV was trying to be slow burning but ended up feeling inconsistent. Maybe it's because we pick what missions we take at any given time. *shrug* 

What I understand from your response is that I made the right choice in using it as a comparison. You got pretty much what I was talking about when I wrote it without my having to explain it. How you find it an insult is something that you haven't explained. 

Dale Nixon
  • Dale Nixon

methane on my mind

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:34 AM

OP is still young virgin and so are most people posting in this thread.
you know who you are.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:46 AM Edited by StingrayX, 11 November 2013 - 04:58 AM.

"My overly long take..."

Sorry, but I stopped right there.

And you're TLDR didn't help.

Here's a tip. Grow the f-ck up and actually read posts or don't post at all. Simple. :colgate:

You're honestly beginning to annoy the sh-t out of me with you constructive-less posts and spam.

@CantThinkOfOne2013, Honestly I'd rather have a good storyline instead of over-the-top missions. I'm not the type of person who needs stupid "exciting" sh-t to be pleased. I think your post is utter bullsh-t.

mastershake616
  • mastershake616

The Wolf of BAWSAQ

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:02 AM

How interesting that one of the things we were arguing about was the whole Godfather thing, which you can remember for a quick and sloppy insult but forgot when asked to explain. Also, I like how you seem to expect genius-level material on an internet forum. "Oh boy you're work would only impress high school." is just silly. I never said "The most beautifully written take on GTA" I just said it was overly long. Maybe I should ask the mods to include "NOT A COLLEGE PAPER" to appease any college professors roaming the forums. 

"The Godfather films are notoriously slow-burning, but are widely accepted as some of the best movies in the history of filmmaking, right?"

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. They are notoriously slow burning. Some people hate them for it and other people love them for it, but nobody can deny the impact the films have had. Them being slow burning is one of the things I love about them, while it's the same reason my dad hates them and I have friends who refuse to watch them. I think GTA IV was trying to be slow burning but ended up feeling inconsistent. Maybe it's because we pick what missions we take at any given time. *shrug* 

What I understand from your response is that I made the right choice in using it as a comparison. You got pretty much what I was talking about when I wrote it without my having to explain it. How you find it an insult is something that you haven't explained. 

GTA IV wasn't attempting to be a "slow-burning" game. If you see that way, your standard for normal pacing has been set by Michael Bay films and Saturday morning cartoons. This is a societal issue that infuriates me. 

Slow pacing is hardly prevalent in any video game, let alone action video games. You're driving from point to point, bowling and having conversations with your cousin during a cab ride without any killing involved, okay, but is that slow pacing? No. It's progression. The story is a familiar tale -- maybe even a cliche -- 'rags to riches'. You start with little and have to ascend the rungs; a story integrated in this formula is, again, not "slow pacing". The pacing is up to you, the player. The primary purpose of these missions is to help you learn the ropes and feel out the new features. GTA V does the same thing, except in more engaging and exciting ways.  

Slow pacing is long takes. Slow pacing is going to a place and not leaving it for a long time. Slow pacing is a conversation playing out on screen like an expositional monologue. When you watch 2001: A Space Odyssey , Blade Runner, Tree of Life, any of these "art house" or "slow burning narratives," you're not sitting there, going, "This is slow! I like this!" You're either experiencing these things emotionally, or you're looking at an opaque screen. By comparison, some go to an art gallery and 'feel,' others do not. 

I'm gonna throw something at you that will be hard for you to accept, so bare with me. Not everyone is entertained by shootouts and explosions.

*gasp*

Settle yourself, this is the truth. It's undeniably true. Not every quick paced story includes these things. To assume this is to be ignorant. 

spamtackey
  • spamtackey

Business Socks

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:19 AM

GTA IV wasn't attempting to be a "slow-burning" game. If you see that way, your standard for normal pacing has been set by Michael Bay films and Saturday morning cartoons. This is a societal issue that infuriates me. 

Slow pacing is hardly prevalent in any video game, let alone action video games. You're driving from point to point, bowling and having conversations with your cousin during a cab ride without any killing involved, okay, but is that slow pacing? No. It's progression. The story is a familiar tale -- maybe even a cliche -- 'rags to riches'. You start with little and have to ascend the rungs; a story integrated in this formula is, again, not "slow pacing". The pacing is up to you, the player. The primary purpose of these missions is to help you learn the ropes and feel out the new features. GTA V does the same thing, except in more engaging and exciting ways.  

Slow pacing is long takes. Slow pacing is going to a place and not leaving it for a long time. Slow pacing is a conversation playing out on screen like an expositional monologue. When you watch 2001: A Space Odyssey , Blade Runner, Tree of Life, any of these "art house" or "slow burning narratives," you're not sitting there, going, "This is slow! I like this!" You're either experiencing these things emotionally, or you're looking at an opaque screen. By comparison, some go to an art gallery and 'feel,' others do not. 

I'm gonna throw something at you that will be hard for you to accept, so bare with me. Not everyone is entertained by shootouts and explosions.

*gasp*

Settle yourself, this is the truth. It's undeniably true. Not every quick paced story includes these things. To assume this is to be ignorant. 

I would say GTA V to be more like Michael Bay than GTA IV. Of course GTA IV had more action than the Godfather, but it's a videogame. Even The Godfather videogame had more action than the movies. It's part of the medium. It's interactive. 

Long scenes in one location: The scene in Uncle Vlad where Niko explains to Roman why he came to Liberty. The very opening of the game when Niko talks about the war to Roman in their apartment. 

Not all of GTA IV is slow, but for a videogame it tries to not be simply "okay now we're adding explosions." For a videogame, I consider it slow paced. I don't hold games to the same pacing as other mediums because it has to have that interactivity to it. Speedrunners make everything extremely quick and some people can just spend forever exploring the same location for secrets. You said in another thread that a game is only poorly paced if it's too short and I disagree with that. We just have two different ideas on what pacing is for games I guess. 

• Scaglietti likes this

Tashan
  • Tashan

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:34 AM

What are you guys discussing about? 

Google Chrome is crashing with "Aw, Snap!" message.?... 

Terrible thread!

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:37 AM

-snip

-snip

I'm sorry, but I have disagree with you. First of all, his post his not bullsh*t, it has some valid points. Your post is the one that should be considered bullsh*t. You're stating your opinions as facts. I'm just going to come out and say that I would rather have a game with an well built story, that isn't always over-the-top, rather than one with plot holes and a load of over-the-top missions. Gameplay does matter, but the story should not be sacrificed for it.

Now about the stating your opinions as facts part. You said, "GTA V had better GAMEPLAY and there is no argument, the shooting feels better, the driving feels better, the planes are actually more than decorative props, there is a good variety of vehicles (GTA IV cut everything down the the bear minimums, even things like the Dozer, Tow Truck and Newsvan were cut for some bizarre unknown reason), better map design with more varied locations, no annoying cousins who ring you up every five minutes to go bowling or shoot pool"

That is all arguable. I personally feel like there is something off about the shooting in V. It feels choppier, less engaging to me, the guns sound a little dull, and the way your enemies have almost perfect shooting accuracy just irks me. In regards to the driving, the best way for me to describe how I feel about it is mediocre. It is not challenging, it is unsophisticated, and its pretty boring. The driving feels like it was dumbed down to be easier for casual gamers. Nothing is unforgiving, just look at how you can make a corner at 100 mph and over do a corner going at regular speeds. I personally feel like the driving is a huge step down from IV because it offers no challenge, it deletes anything challenging, and it just feels bare, like a Saints Row game or some other game where driving is barely cared about.

The variety of vehicles is not greater for me personally. They deleted all of those basic fun cars from IV like the Faction, Presidente, Sabre, et cetera -- they even deleted some desirables like the drop dead gorgeous DB9-ish Super GT and then Turismo -- for some soulless exotics and luxury cars that spawn way too much. To me, having more exotics and luxury cars would only be good if they retained the amount of basic cars from IV. Yes they did add some interesting stuff like the tow trucks, newsvan, et cetera and I do agree that that was an improvement. But deleting basic cars was not a good move at all.

As far as the map goes, it is great. But my problem with it is that East Los Santos could've been more than just industry. They could've added some run down suburbs and a neighborhood that actually felt like East Los Angeles. That was the part I hated most about Los Santos, other than the fact that it felt way to superficial in a lot of areas. My biggest problem with the map is that no area feels isolated other than bits and parts of the Eastern side of Blaine County. I was expecting more forests full of the type of trees you see near Paleto. In my opinion, they could've added more to the northern part of the map, like an authentic forest that actually felt secluded and maybe creepy as well. I mean come on, even IV had some creepy spots yet I find none in Los Santos nor Blaine County. That alien/mural stuff doesn't scare me or even interest me that much.

About the phone calls, well I'm going to come out and say that I barely got a lot of "lets go bowling" calls. And at least IV had a proper friends system. In V it feels sloppy, half assed, and dead.

It all comes down to personal preference so don't be like, oh that is not arguable.

To be honest, your post annoys me. You're ignoring the fact that people will have different opinions and people will have different feelings on what is considered fun or not, so if you cannot grasp that, then maybe you should just stop posting here, on a forum.

• gunziness likes this

GTA564
  • GTA564

gta>

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:14 AM

It was very nice to read what you wrote
but i don't agree with what you wrote about GTA V

all the things they didn't add to the game, but was in GTA IV, does not bother me
I mean, restaurants in GTA IV did not make the game more interesting
- ambulance and police tasks
- buy hotdogs from vendors
- pick up trash and throw it at hobos
- choose a response to our e-mails

these were the most boring things in GTA IV

V - Dumping the wanted circle & change the wanted system
It's one of the smartest things they did

The cars don't explode every time you land from a high place
And you have time to get out of the car when it's on fire

Your writing is excellent, I look forward to reading more of your reviews in the future

spamtackey
  • spamtackey

Business Socks

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:41 AM

It was very nice to read what you wrote
but i don't agree with what you wrote about GTA V

all the things they didn't add to the game, but was in GTA IV, does not bother me
I mean, restaurants in GTA IV did not make the game more interesting
- ambulance and police tasks
- buy hotdogs from vendors
- pick up trash and throw it at hobos
- choose a response to our e-mails

these were the most boring things in GTA IV

V - Dumping the wanted circle & change the wanted system
It's one of the smartest things they did

The cars don't explode every time you land from a high place
And you have time to get out of the car when it's on fire

Your writing is excellent, I look forward to reading more of your reviews in the future

I've never actually had time to get out of the car before it explodes at all in GTA V. Every car explosion has been just randomly out of the blue for me. One time I saw a car on fire and waited for it to explode... but the fire just went out. I was all happy it was going to explode too, but it just sat there. Maybe they do set on fire before they explode, but I've never seen it. It makes me quite sad. :( 

NinjaWJ
  • NinjaWJ

Just trying to get by

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:23 AM

The problem with modern game industry and modern games is that all anyone cares about in a video game is the story, 

Like it or not, gaming is not an industry aimed to cater kids anymore. Adults also like to play. And adults want something else than cheap action. MGS4 was a MASTERPIECE. Walking dead games by TellTale are too. GTA 4 was. I´ll always remember the characters in these games, and some of its moments. Always. I´ll forget about Trevor in a couple of years after I stop playing this game.

I´m really sorry for those who can´t appreciate anything that takes some time to tell us a great story so the things that happen actually have some importance for us.

The big stuff you wrote is true: we can´t have nice things. Because some game developers listen to people like you and can´t make nice things. But there´ll always be Hideo Kojima I guess.

Holy crap i thought it was the other way around. People these days don't give a CRAP about the story. Just look at COD franchise! THeir campaigns are so short now and the story has gotten ridiculous!

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:50 AM

This. In my opinion, story is one of the least important factors in a a video game, and one of the most overrated ones too. even more overrated than graphics. 

The problem with the modern video game is industry is that they rely too much on story so players can be swooped in by emotions and whatnot. A video game is meant to be played, not watched. Beyond two Souls ended up being bad because there was hardly any actual gameplay, and mainly a story (which wasn't even that good) 

The fact is, you can have a full in-depth and compelling story, but make sure that there is a lot of gameplay. Don't pull a cheap shot by grabbing an emotion ridden narrative out of your ass, slap a few quick time events on and call it a game.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:15 AM

I just want to say that they did not cut out the Sabre in V. I have one for each character. It is rare but that just makes it even more sweet when you find one. V probably has some of the best cars in the series and even more so if you count the cars you need to buy. The Monroe alone is better than many cars in IV. 

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:37 PM Edited by StingrayX, 11 November 2013 - 10:07 PM.

I just want to say that they did not cut out the Sabre in V. I have one for each character. It is rare but that just makes it even more sweet when you find one. V probably has some of the best cars in the series and even more so if you count the cars you need to buy. The Monroe alone is better than many cars in IV.

:sui: Do you not know what a base Sabre is? That Monte Carlo from the 80's lookalike. You're referring to the Sabre Turbo.

And um, that is YOUR opinion, in my opinion they should've kept the cars they had in IV and then added what we have now. Its not a fact that the Monroe is better than most cars from IV. I think you're full of sh*t, that is my opinion. I value the lesser cars in life, I'm not just a "I only like high end cars" person. I don't need a bunch of high end cars. I don't think adding supercars improves the variety.
  • kvic likes this

carmelo3
  • carmelo3

Prankster

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:00 PM

This is all the fault of 14 year olds who whined alot about GTA IV 'waaaa waaa the driving sucks!' 'waaa waaa niko is so boring' 'waa waaa bring back san andreas and CJ'. I believe this had an effect on the devolopment of V.

It 100% did.

That forced DLC by the name of TBOGT is evidence of this.

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:35 PM

Holy crap i thought it was the other way around. People these days don't give a CRAP about the story. Just look at COD franchise! THeir campaigns are so short now and the story has gotten ridiculous!

Hell, you´re right.

This. In my opinion, story is one of the least important factors in a a video game, and one of the most overrated ones too. even more overrated than graphics. 

The problem with the modern video game is industry is that they rely too much on story so players can be swooped in by emotions and whatnot. A video game is meant to be played, not watched. Beyond two Souls ended up being bad because there was hardly any actual gameplay, and mainly a story (which wasn't even that good) 

The fact is, you can have a full in-depth and compelling story, but make sure that there is a lot of gameplay. Don't pull a cheap shot by grabbing an emotion ridden narrative out of your ass, slap a few quick time events on and call it a game.

Well I guess we´re all different.

When I downloaded The Walking Dead videogame by TellTale I was mega adicted. I NEEDED to see what the hell would happen next. I don´t have the urge to play GTAonline when for some reason I can´t do it. I don´t remember the game at all when I´m doing any other thing.

When I played The Walking Dead it was "I hope I could play this thing NOW to see what happens next!".

PulpFiction
  • PulpFiction

Godfather

• Zaibatsu
  • Vatican-City
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:03 AM

V-3-1280.jpg

32ye.jpg

u4h9.jpg

GTA V is a fun game. I still play it on a regular basis, but it's probably best not to make posts that can be easily fired back at. ;)

• Scaglietti likes this

mastershake616
  • mastershake616

The Wolf of BAWSAQ

• Members

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:49 PM

V-3-1280.jpg

32ye.jpg

u4h9.jpg

Do the vigilante missions fill up some of Niko's special ability meter, too?

GTA V is a fun game. I still play it on a regular basis, but it's probably best not to make posts that can be easily fired back at.  ;)

Ditto. 

XxLDCxX
  • XxLDCxX

Cloud Strife

• Members

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:36 AM

What is this sorcery?! An intelligent post on these forums simply stating an opinion without bashing others??? That alone deserves an applause.

In all seriousness, I agree. You summed up pretty well my feelings towards both games. The small things like not being able to leave your car on,etc aren't game breakers, but just missed opportunities. And your comment regarding the online somehow hurting the SP experience, I fully agree 100%. Think about all that free disc space that would be available for more SP content and such if they didn't incorporate the online mode. I mean, online is fun for a while; but SP is what made me fall in love with the GTA series. Imagine how much more epic the SP could have been...

But in all, GTA5 was a helluva game. The first couple days of playing I thought I would never explore the entirety of the map. No doubt, the first couple of days I was absolutely blown away.

I have to say though, "The Last of Us" has been the big hitter for me this year. Everything has stuck with me since I beat that game. A true masterpiece. (except some ai issues) But on the other hand I won't be playing that 5 months from now like I will be with Gta5.

TimeLordDoctor
  • TimeLordDoctor

Praise him, Praise him, Praise him, Praise him, Praise him,

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:29 AM

Well said, i agree, but the faults in gta v dont get in my way!

I find it funny when i die, cause everytime i die its just funny, and I love that they brought back the WASTED sign along with that bell sound, its just Perfect. The environment and everything is just amazing. The vehicle handling is better than IV, but i do miss the damage in IV, but if you think about it Vehicles in IV was alot slower and if you crashed them in a wall they damage, think of V speed and crashing into something full speed with IV's damage, and car chases and cop chases. GTA V vehicle damage is tougher but it works out in the long run. 
Now the characters i fell in love with since the day they announced them. Franklin i see as a third wheel but hey without him Michael and Trevor would be dead!(Pun intended) But he is the peacemaker and I dont like how they gave us the options at the end, the logical one which was the Death Wish fit Franklin more than the other choices, because we do see some of Franklin's life and how he supports his friends to the max, saving Lamar 24/7 and stuff and saving Trevor, Michael and helping them countless of times, and then give in to a rich guy or FBI agent and killing them, it doesnt make sense for Franklin to turn like that. And its sad cause we will never see Michael or Trevor in any more Gta's because they are just gonna be seen as Dead. And yet they was really good, id say i liked them better than Niko. 
Also with character switching, you still feel their lives and live their lives even after the main story, because you see them going about their day in their own fashion. Its really cool and unique and something R* should continue on doing.

(PS i read the whole thing! very moving)

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

''Cool it, assholes''

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:38 AM

Should I go search for the Unique Bountis Maude has given me and make 60k out of it?

Or should I steal a Police Cruiser and acess the mounted laptop, so I can just go to a group of people and shoot them down gaining stars while doing so, just for a couple of misserable houndreds.

I'd rather go with Maude there Mr. Liberty Jr.

Should I do pointless activities with the funny fatso who lied about everything to me on a email

or...

should I do some Yoga to build up resistance/strengh so when I run I just don't fall down tired and almost dying?

Both seem fun so...

PulpFiction
  • PulpFiction

Godfather

• Zaibatsu
  • Vatican-City
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:49 AM

Should I go search for the Unique Bountis Maude has given me and make 60k out of it?

Or should I steal a Police Cruiser and acess the mounted laptop, so I can just go to a group of people and shoot them down gaining stars while doing so, just for a couple of misserable houndreds.

The bounties would be cool if there were more than 4 and if the emails didn't disappear after a certain amount of time.

IMO GTA V completely f*cked up as far side missions go. There isn't a lot for three protagonists. Michael has sfa, Franklin's amount is pathetic and Trevor has all the good ones, but despite being a meth dealer hasn't got any drug related side missions at all. I guess R* were kind enough to give us them in GTA IV. Much more fun than going on bounties where you point a gun at a suspect and they follow you around like a bad smell.

Mr. Sleepy
  • Mr. Sleepy

Infamous

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:15 AM

A video game is an interactive movie.

What the f*ck is a game without a story? Are you telling me that GTA would be such a great franchise without its story? Oh please, All that you can do in GTA if there is no story is to run people over, and please don't pull that "use your imagination" card, what is there to imagine? Means of torturing people?

No thanks, I already disliked the Mr. K mission.

• PulpFiction likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users