Photo

Discrimination?

12 replies to this topic
Cyper
  • Cyper

Liberty City Lover Since 2001

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:23 AM Edited by Cyper, 27 October 2013 - 10:27 AM.

Hi there,

I made a post containing the word  ''ni**er'' and ''jew'' and I got an infraction for it. It took longer then I expected, though.

All over the board I see people using the term ''fa**ot'' as in ''you are a fa**ot''. This seems to be accepted, or to a certain extent not taken as seriously as if I write posts such as ''you're ni**er'' or ''you're a stupid Jew''. I don't think that moderators are being very consistent on this one. Of course I don't expect anyone to agree that there may be a fatal or even minor flaw with how the forum is being moderated. I don't think anyone will agree to something they most likely have been unaware of. Which is exactly the reason why I am writing this. This is also directed at the members of this community.

• StormerBoy likes this

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Contribution Award [GTA III]

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:27 AM

Well, the users that make those remarks may get warned - You won't know if they do get warned unless a Moderator edits the post with 'User Warned for this post', not all staff members do this.

Also the terms you were using are a lot more hurtful and foul compared to "fa**ot".
  • Spider-Vice likes this

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Perhaps here things will be different

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:35 AM

On a board that 1000s of people visit each day we're not going to bother with verbal warnings in threads all the time. Most of the moderating is done behind the scenes so to speak.

We take racism and other unacceptable slurs quite seriously, but we can only punish what we can see. I don't tolerate those sort of comments no matter the context personally.

StormerBoy
  • StormerBoy

Tribe Leader

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:06 AM

On a board that 1000s of people visit each day we're not going to bother with verbal warnings in threads all the time. Most of the moderating is done behind the scenes so to speak.

We take racism and other unacceptable slurs quite seriously, but we can only punish what we can see. I don't tolerate those sort of comments no matter the context personally.

But not 'very'?

It does seem that some discriminatory words are more acceptable than others, here. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 'ni**er' word is censored, where as 'fa**ot' isn't?

Yes, you must have a hard time 'seeing' everything with so many posts, so I will help. Go to search and type in 'fa**ot'. Sorting (ie deleting) all of those posts is enough to get started with.

Of course, I live in the UK, where we can discriminate against class more than race or religion, so what would I know?

Stockton209What
  • Stockton209What

Rat

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:11 AM

I got an infraction for making a kitchen joke 

lol

• StormerBoy likes this

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Contribution Award [GTA III]

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:21 AM Edited by GTAKid667, 27 October 2013 - 11:28 AM.

But not 'very'?

It does seem that some discriminatory words are more acceptable than others, here. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 'ni**er' word is censored, where as 'fa**ot' isn't?

Yes, you must have a hard time 'seeing' everything with so many posts, so I will help. Go to search and type in 'fa**ot'. Sorting (ie deleting) all of those posts is enough to get started with.

Of course, I live in the UK, where we can discriminate against class more than race or religion, so what would I know?

Well if you think you are good enough to be a moderator - Why don't you search through 9,259,046 posts to find foul language? The words that the OP were warned for are unacceptable, being rude against anyone's race or religious is unacceptable, the moderators saw it and warned him as they should have.

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:41 AM

do People Really Get Offended by Insults On an Internet Forum?

Ryan
  • Ryan

• Canada

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:12 PM

Just because you see such posts doesn't mean the offender hasn't been warned or temped for them.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:05 PM

Exactly. Cyper - were you trying to get a warning with that post? Because if you were, I can upgrade it for you, free of charge.

I can't say this enough - if you see something that should be punished, report it, and move on. Like Ryan said, other members' warnings are not visible to you, so it's likely they have been warned.

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:41 PM

But not 'very'?

You seem to have a problem with everything here whilst having little to no knowledge of how a website is run. Word censorship has got nothing to do with what's allowed and what's not allowed and everything to do with Google AdSense policies. If they ask us to censor a few more words, we'll have to oblige.

We don't condone usage of racial or homophobic slurs and while we cannot prevent them from being used, we can certainly warn/temp members for using them to insult other members. Of course, we rely on members to report such offending posts. You can't expect us to follow each and every topic and check for infractions.

Adriaan
  • Adriaan

Uncut

• Members
  • None
  • Most Helpful [GTA Series] 2012
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2012
    Most Respected 2012
    Most Helpful 2012
    Best Returning Member 2012
    Best Contributor [GTA Series] 2012
    Best Forum Ledby 2012
    Best Moderator 2012

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:53 PM Edited by Adriaan, 27 October 2013 - 09:01 PM.

All over the board I see people using the term ''fa**ot'' as in ''you are a fa**ot''.

http://youtu.be/v-55wC5dEnc?t=5m13s

• Shou likes this

Cyper
  • Cyper

Liberty City Lover Since 2001

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:57 PM Edited by Cyper, 27 October 2013 - 09:03 PM.

Exactly. Cyper - were you trying to get a warning with that post? Because if you were, I can upgrade it for you, free of charge.

I can't say this enough - if you see something that should be punished, report it, and move on. Like Ryan said, other members' warnings are not visible to you, so it's likely they have been warned.

I honestly believe that all of you moderators are trying your best and I understand completely that it is literally impossible - and not to mention completely out of order - to expect every single post to be overlooked.

My thesis was that if I would write ''fa**ot'' as an insult I would not get an infraction, but if I wrote what I did, I would most likely get one. Maybe it was a coincidence. Maybe it wasn't. But  ass I stated, I just don't think things are consistent enough in this case. In the end of the day it's the moderator who must decide. It may be (at least partly) because I've got a slanted view because the fact is that I don't see how many people who are getting infractions or what they get infractions for. But let me put it like this: From what my own experiences  it seems to be more socially acceptable among people to discriminate someone because of their sexuality than because of their race and that's a frickin' problem. You're right though, I do report posts, and I am going to do that even more frequently now. Regarding what I wrote I will leave that to your judgement and your free will. If you want to give me an infraction then that's up to you. I'm not going to object or take anything back, though. I refuse. What you should know though is that my purpose isn't and have never been to keep doing it. I didn't write it just to be a troublemaker in the first place. If I wanted trouble I wouldn't discuss how to possibly make the forums a better place.

EDIT: Slightly off topic, but wouldn't it be a good idea to implement a feature that makes it possible to see if someone have been warned because of a specific post? Maybe by some sort of ''Red Card'' or something. In that way there wouldn't be ten different reports on the same post and people would also notice what you can be get an infraction for.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:20 PM

I warn every time I see someone use "fa**ot" as a pejorative. There was no need to run an experiment - it may have led to you being banned, had myself or another mod seen it in a grumpier mood.

As for your second idea - I kind of get where you're coming from. However, and this has been proven here in the past, these sorts of things (warning cards, wanted level stars, etc) become desirable badges of idiocy for a certain segment of the population.  Personally, if I'm not binning a topic or hiding an offending post, I'll try to leave a note saying if the member was warned. However, more often than not, the posts ARE binned or hidden.

So please, do, report away.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users