Quantcast

» «
Photo

Should Free Aim Be Default for Online Competitive Play?

101 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Free Aim Be Default for Online Competitive Play? (145 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Free Aim Be Default For Online Play?

1. Yes (106 votes [73.10%])

Percentage of vote: 73.10%

2. No (39 votes [26.90%])

Percentage of vote: 26.90%

Vote Guests cannot vote
riksterinto
  • riksterinto

Trick

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:44 AM

Essentially this would be the best fix, but the problem is NOBODY is ever in free aim deathmatch lobbies and that isn't due to everyone choosing to play free aim. Many people don't know how to get to free aim lobbies, and that is the root of the problem.

In my OP I am not saying to rid auto aim. It seems a lot of people are misunderstanding this. I mentioned free aim as default in "competitive" modes or "PVP" modes. This means that if someone is hindered by that experience they will look into possible fixes, and find auto aim. This theory doesn't work the other way around, the way it is now.

Have you tried joining deathmatches using the quick Jobs menu in the pause screen?  I never have a problem finding a full deathmatch using that feature.  Whenever I try to join a specific deathmatch using the map or by travelling there, I have the same issue finding other players in AA lobbies. 

FR_Player-One
  • FR_Player-One

NO BULLSHlT ALLOWED Pew Pew Pew - - -

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:44 AM

There is absolutely NO "competitive play" with auto aim / assisted aim. Auto aim has nothing to do with any sort of skill or competition.
So it MUST be free aim.

BTW it doesn't need to be a FPS to play free aim, see all TPS that plays free aim, and that are competitive.

And for the "auto aim badasses", suck it up.

Enough people seem to have fun playing the game as it is now.. whether that be Auto-Aim or Free-Aim.. In actuality, you're the one who has to suck it up because the option is there now as it stands so until that changes you'll have to adjust. Maybe some people enjoy games without the burden of having to develop strong stick skills to survive. Honestly I feel that if a CLEAR, CONCISE choice prompt was made when players first booted up online the majority of players worldwide would probably stick to auto-aim.. Gamers who enjoy competition will go to Free-Aim sure, but I think they'd be outnumbered... and because of that I am sure most will move on and get their competitive fix from CoD or Battlefield or some other FPS or TPS that doesn't allow auto-aim. I'm not saying it's right, i'm not saying it's wrong.. I just think that is how it is.

I understand many don't want to.. em, make an effort to aim, expecially PC gamers (I know, these damn controllers... ain't easy), but for the "suck it up" part, I was talking about the "auto aim badasses".
Basically the ones who think they're so badass and so skilled... using auto aim.

I used auto aim myself for GTAs until 6 months ago.
I know WHY I choosed it and so I know why other people still choose it. I'm not saying anything about that.
Just don't think that you have any real "skills".. since the game does 90% of the job for you.

When I say "you" it's generic, not.. you.

HITMAN1342
  • HITMAN1342

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:48 AM

I mentioned free aim as default in "competitive" modes or "PVP" modes. This means that if someone is hindered by that experience they will look into possible fixes, and find auto aim. This theory doesn't work the other way around, the way it is now.

Wait, what?

So you're saying that free-aimers that are hindered by the experience of auto-aim can't simply turn auto-aim on?

I'm saying if you don't like auto aim most people accept it, if you don't like free aim people will look for a way to better their play and find auto aim. Simple as that. In theory anyway, of course as previously mentioned an agreeable way to fix this situation would be to have a specific yet concise notification before joining online for the first time explaining the targeting modes and servers. Heck we had this whole intro, this could have been something that really boosted free aim lobby counts.

yesir1
  • yesir1

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:48 AM

GTA is competitive? Oh, ok.

HITMAN1342
  • HITMAN1342

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:49 AM

Essentially this would be the best fix, but the problem is NOBODY is ever in free aim deathmatch lobbies and that isn't due to everyone choosing to play free aim. Many people don't know how to get to free aim lobbies, and that is the root of the problem.

In my OP I am not saying to rid auto aim. It seems a lot of people are misunderstanding this. I mentioned free aim as default in "competitive" modes or "PVP" modes. This means that if someone is hindered by that experience they will look into possible fixes, and find auto aim. This theory doesn't work the other way around, the way it is now.

Have you tried joining deathmatches using the quick Jobs menu in the pause screen?  I never have a problem finding a full deathmatch using that feature.  Whenever I try to join a specific deathmatch using the map or by travelling there, I have the same issue finding other players in AA lobbies. 

Yes, this is what I am referring to when I say free aim death match lobbies

G_Masta_Phunk
  • G_Masta_Phunk

Blunt Smoking Philosopher

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:56 AM

Hell ya  it should... would prevent so many random shootings as people would have to aim at you as your fly by them in your car

gametyme89
  • gametyme89

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:33 AM

I mentioned free aim as default in "competitive" modes or "PVP" modes. This means that if someone is hindered by that experience they will look into possible fixes, and find auto aim. This theory doesn't work the other way around, the way it is now.

Wait, what?

So you're saying that free-aimers that are hindered by the experience of auto-aim can't simply turn auto-aim on?

I'm saying if you don't like auto aim most people accept it, if you don't like free aim people will look for a way to better their play and find auto aim. Simple as that. In theory anyway, of course as previously mentioned an agreeable way to fix this situation would be to have a specific yet concise notification before joining online for the first time explaining the targeting modes and servers. Heck we had this whole intro, this could have been something that really boosted free aim lobby counts.

I understand your point now.. I like your idea better now that I understand... The clear concise prompt screen should still be there but if we were forced to START the game a certain way w/o prompt it (IN MY OPINION) should've been in free-aim.. and then users could switch to auto-aim after a couple of failed trolling and/or drive by attempts :p

G0DLY
  • G0DLY

Rat

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:44 AM

even though this game was made for casual gameplay, im pretty disappointing that they left out the competitive side of this game. free aim should always be on, but its on for those people that have awful aiming in the game

Hojo-88
  • Hojo-88

USAF ATC

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:18 AM

Free aim lobbies are empty because free aim lobbies are empty. I check every day when I log
in. If I can find a free aim lobby with people, I will stay. But I can't find them anymore. So it's either play solo or play assisted. Despite hating the assisted aiming, I play it more often than not because that's where the population resides. I just wish that auto-aim would be disabled PvP altogether. The shooting matches are so lame that it's basically just a racing game but it should be everything!
  • Greasepalms likes this

Hojo-88
  • Hojo-88

USAF ATC

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:20 AM

Just to keep my free aim kills up (I don't actually know if this works or not) I will typically walk around with my rifle out and aimed to prevent the assisted mechanism from returning when I release then press L2 again. Again, I'm not sure if that actually works or not but I'm pretty sure I haven't gotten all my free aim kills in free aim lobbies because I can't ever hardly play in them since they're empty all day long.

petenasty
  • petenasty

Rat

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:26 AM

The in game method of changing aiming mode is not only terrible, but it literally buries and hides free aim games. There's no instruction,explain action, or advertisement it exists.

I'd wager most players dont know it exists, they just get confused when entering and leaving g jobs and their aim mode is different.

Easily the worst designed feature of GTA:O is the entire aiming/server separation. Its almost an after thought.
  • Greasepalms likes this

Zombiejaeger
  • Zombiejaeger

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:25 AM

About casual gamers, it is more likely for them to survive on a Free-Aim server than Auto-Aim. In Auto-Aim you could get killed by anyone, anywhere, anytime even when speeding down the road.

In Free-Aim it's easier to survive but harder to get a kill. You can actually run away from a fight and survive while being shot at. Ever heard about that in Auto-Aim?

Let everybody choose how they want to play, but much like you get info on everything on the loadingscreen (tips and tricks) make one advertising that you can change your aim. I had a friend last night (not a big GTA player) who was one big question mark when I asked him to change aim. "What aim?".

z-Poteto
  • z-Poteto

Snitch

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:31 AM

Free Aim feels like it have more nicer people than Auto Aim. I hardly get into a gun fight with people in Free Aim, but Auto Aim makes me feel like I hate everyone there!

haythem09
  • haythem09

Honorbru Dispray

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:24 AM

GTA is the only series that still gets away with this old auto-lock-on bullsh*t so I don't see why not.

Munx
  • Munx

Homie

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:00 PM

Yes, It should be default, but more importantly it should have a bonus RP/Cash % for missions, survivals and gang hideouts (and in the future heists), not to the point where its more profitable to play in free roam, but to the point where the RP/Cash income is compareable per hour to what you'd expect to see in a auto aim server.

Missions easily take upward of twice the time in free aim (not to mention the difficulty diffrence) so the current reward system actually punishes you if you choose to play free aim, which is totally backwards.

Phyxsius-
  • Phyxsius-

Just lil me

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:33 PM Edited by Phyxsius-, 27 October 2013 - 01:33 PM.

So another day and no free aim death match lobbies has me curious. Do people really like auto aim that much? Or do they not know that it exists? I always play on free aim and I've completed missions and all ten waves of survival with free aim so it's not some act of god to get kills with.  Once you get used to the aiming you realize that it is actually very fun and not all that hard to use.

With that being said, I have no problem with auto aim during PVE, it's the PVP that I feel is made irrelevant due to this glaring problem. Even then, those that want to use auto aim they can do so by switching the aim settings before jumping onlne though I don't see the fun or competitiveness in it at all. To each his own.

I will support free aim when this console will allow me to plug in my keyboard and mouse.

Would be nice if they added a +20 % RP and Money bonus if using Free-Aim (Regarding DeathMatches, LTS, Free-Roam and Survival).

Maybe it would motivate more people to use Free Aim instead of Auto :)

Would also be nice to add +30 % RP and Money bonus for female avatars too. And it`s not like I own one or two, it`s just that it`ll make the game better.

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:37 PM

No. Because this is Grand Theft Auto, not -insert generic FPS-. 

Is called Grand Theft Auto.  Not Auto Aim Adventures.

madwullie
  • madwullie

Snitch

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:46 PM

Must admit I was surprised when online came out that auto assist was available

Zwenkwiel
  • Zwenkwiel

Proud owner of several tin foil hats

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:01 PM Edited by Zwenkwiel, 27 October 2013 - 02:01 PM.

lol competitive play, you mean sports? this is a video game m8, read: pastime.

what's your point?

that you like one more than the other or think it's more important or valuable

because they're both pretty useless unless you get into that small margin that actually manages to make a lot of money with it

2 or more people competing to achieve a certain goal is the definition of competitive play and it fits both sports and online videogames perfectly

ow yeah and on topic

free aim is the only aim

• HITMAN1342 likes this

blackrooster_
  • blackrooster_

Hustler

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:04 PM

So another day and no free aim death match lobbies has me curious. Do people really like auto aim that much? Or do they not know that it exists? I always play on free aim and I've completed missions and all ten waves of survival with free aim so it's not some act of god to get kills with.  Once you get used to the aiming you realize that it is actually very fun and not all that hard to use.

With that being said, I have no problem with auto aim during PVE, it's the PVP that I feel is made irrelevant due to this glaring problem. Even then, those that want to use auto aim they can do so by switching the aim settings before jumping onlne though I don't see the fun or competitiveness in it at all. To each his own.

I enjoy free aim quite a bit, though I usually prefer auto for a variety of reasons (assisted, not full-on). One thing that would greatly improve free aim is if they improved the reticle. Without a lock-on, it just goes to a random spot every time, so I can't make the shots I have done in other games. Sometimes, the gun aims really high for some reason, which is ridiculous.

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:21 PM

I enjoy free aim quite a bit, though I usually prefer auto for a variety of reasons (assisted, not full-on). One thing that would greatly improve free aim is if they improved the reticle. Without a lock-on, it just goes to a random spot every time, so I can't make the shots I have done in other games. Sometimes, the gun aims really high for some reason, which is ridiculous.

This^.....   You know R* could have put some better effort in the aim mechanics.   Its basically the same as GTA 4 and Red Dead.     I look at a game like Saints Row 3 and that game has great 3rd person shooting mechanics...

The best way to deal with R* lack of aim sights is to plaster a little dot on your screen where your reticle will be.  Now you have always on aim sight.  It works wonders.... 

Zwenkwiel
  • Zwenkwiel

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:37 PM

practice man

no need to stick things to your screen

there's a logic to where it will go, try to figure it out

like if you're in cover on a left corner the reticule will appear slightly to the left of the center of your screen when you pop out (since you move a bit to the left when you pop out)

it's a bit weird and different I have to admit especially when driving but there's method to the madness and IMO sucking it up and going free aim is well worth it

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:06 PM

practice man

like if you're in cover on a left corner the reticule will appear slightly to the left of the center of your screen when you pop out (since you move a bit to the left when you pop out)

it's a bit weird and different I have to admit especially when driving but there's method to the madness and IMO sucking it up and going free aim is well worth it

Sticking things on your screen removes the "trying to figure it out" part so you can get down to aiming and shooting.  Personally I think if your gun is in your hand the reticule should stay up.  And that's all sticking things on your screen to mark it does.  It gives you the option that R* forgot to add.

I mean, I never use auto aim but I hate the few seconds lost waiting for the reticule to appear and I've yet to use the sticky on screen in GTA V.  Mainly because free aim Death Matches where basically Dead on Arrival.

GTA 4 most players used free aim and auto aim was the joke world....  Red Dead saw the change to auto aim as the master play mode but free aim did last for a year... And in GTA free aim seems to be hidden with no extra rewards and dead lobbies.

Its pretty sad.  The worst part of GTA V is R* lack of effort to making free aim much better then GTA 4 and RD.

Auto aim should not be an option in Player VS player modes...  

NewReno
  • NewReno

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:13 PM

Competitive or not, free aim is the only way to go. Aim assist is a serious joke.

KonradGM
  • KonradGM

GM of himself

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:13 PM

jeees some guys in this threath are retarted, what happened to ad,mins that they let so many 12 year olds spam this forum? yeah the shooting mechanics are one of the best in the series and it is sad people dont realise it since the free aim, and also a lot of people dont realise that pressing r2 withouth l1 [ or rt witouth lt] gonna make you do shoot strafing

Zwenkwiel
  • Zwenkwiel

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:38 PM

practice man

Sticking things on your screen removes the "trying to figure it out" part so you can get down to aiming and shooting.  Personally I think if your gun is in your hand the reticule should stay up.  And that's all sticking things on your screen to mark it does.  It gives you the option that R* forgot to add.

perhaps having the reticule Always on screen would have been a good idea

but I kind of like it like this, does make sense since you don't really aim untill you aim (like IRL)

all you can really do is visually getting an estimate of where you will end up

once you get the hang of it it works perfectly

SHarm
  • SHarm

Reincarnation of Tommy Vercetti

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:45 PM

For f*cks sake, I hate people like you who say "free aim this free aim that" there's a damn server for free aim only go and find out how to switch to that server

GTA from III has always been auto aim and always will.

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:48 PM

practice man

perhaps having the reticule Always on screen would have been a good idea

but I kind of like it like this, does make sense since you don't really aim untill you aim (like IRL)

all you can really do is visually getting an estimate of where you will end up

once you get the hang of it it works perfectly

Agreed...Although its hard to get the hang of it when most of the time free aim shoot outs are hard to find. :(

Free Aim Death matches should be worth twice as much as auto aim.  Hell, Auto Aim death matches should have no rewards since :D.

Free Aim should be packed, not the other way around.  :(

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:50 PM

For f*cks sake, I hate people like you who say "free aim this free aim that" there's a damn server for free aim only go and find out how to switch to that server

GTA from III has always been auto aim and always will.

GTA 3 had thumb pads only, no analog stick and no multiplayer..  Things have changed.

R* is the only game devs that serve up auto aim competitive mode.  Which only ruins it for people who play legit with empty game modes.

iSkreenLooker
  • iSkreenLooker

Homie

• Awaiting Authorization

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:52 PM

Auto-aim all the way son!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users