Quantcast

» «
Photo

Should Free Aim Be Default for Online Competitive Play?

101 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Free Aim Be Default for Online Competitive Play? (145 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Free Aim Be Default For Online Play?

1. Yes (106 votes [73.10%])

Percentage of vote: 73.10%

2. No (39 votes [26.90%])

Percentage of vote: 26.90%

Vote Guests cannot vote
RowanSane
  • RowanSane

SURF crew Commissioner, Xbox 360

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:39 AM

My only question with having the free aim as default would be for newbs that might not know there's the option to auto aim. I think it works better if they later on find out they can freely aim as opposed to the other way around.

I think r* need to do two things - make it much more obvious that the option exists and affects your Online server placement, and make it changeable from within Online.

HITMAN1342
  • HITMAN1342

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:39 AM

Go play BF4 or call of duty ghosts. This is a 3rd person RPG.

Did I mention this was a game breaking feature? My apologies I'll go play a game that I don't care about because you told me to

HITMAN1342
  • HITMAN1342

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:41 AM

Would be nice if they added a +20 % RP and Money bonus if using Free-Aim (Regarding DeathMatches, LTS, Free-Roam and Survival).

Maybe it would motivate more people to use Free Aim instead of Auto :)

This is actually a great idea, interesting post

JohnGazman
  • JohnGazman

"Jesus Christ Lamar, you gotta stop talkin'!"

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:49 AM Edited by JohnGazman, 27 October 2013 - 12:50 AM.

That is my opinion, correct. However, People don't look for reasons to hinder their game. The mindset here is "Well why would I want to use free aim when he/she gets to use auto aim". Making Online free aim default (Notice we're not forcing anything on anyone here) rather than auto aim would make people explore the options more. Would help if Rockstar made a clear notification that when changing targeting systems they will be matched based on that. They do notify you that you will be put in a different server, but that may not be clear enough for most players.

That's a supposition. And explore what options? There's free-aim or there's auto-aim. The most exploring you're going to get is that you get dumped into a free-aim lobby, decide you prefer Auto-aim, and change to an Auto-aim server. 

Given that the game puts you into the server based on your settings in Single player. I genuinely don't see an issue with this system.

Did I mention this was a game breaking feature?

Explain.

HITMAN1342
  • HITMAN1342

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:56 AM

That is my opinion, correct. However, People don't look for reasons to hinder their game. The mindset here is "Well why would I want to use free aim when he/she gets to use auto aim". Making Online free aim default (Notice we're not forcing anything on anyone here) rather than auto aim would make people explore the options more. Would help if Rockstar made a clear notification that when changing targeting systems they will be matched based on that. They do notify you that you will be put in a different server, but that may not be clear enough for most players.

That's a supposition. And explore what options? There's free-aim or there's auto-aim. The most exploring you're going to get is that you get dumped into a free-aim lobby, decide you prefer Auto-aim, and change to an Auto-aim server. 

Given that the game puts you into the server based on your settings in Single player. I genuinely don't see an issue with this system.

Explain.

Sure, I love Grand Theft Auto

HITMAN1342
  • HITMAN1342

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:03 AM

Explain.

And as for the first paragraph, there is a problem with the system because there are even people on these forums that don't even know free aim exists. It's a very apparent problem, but if you like auto aim that's fine. It's just that no one is going to want to leave auto aim for 2 reasons:

1. By the time they find this option, they may already be used to auto aim and feel disadvantaged by the more experienced free aim shooters at that point in time.

2. They already have auto aim, so why would I want to give someone else an advantage? (Because even if one does know how to switch their aim settings, they may not realize that they get matched based on that setting)

Once again, I have no problems with people using auto aim. I just feel like there are more than 4 people that want to play death matches with free aim and there needs to be a better way of making players aware of this. As someone mentioned an XP and Cash reward boost for "competitive" game modes might be a really good solution.

JohnGazman
  • JohnGazman

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:13 AM

Explain.

That's lovely.

So, you were going to explain why it's presently game-breaking?

But if you like auto aim that's fine. It's just that no one is going to want to leave auto aim for 2 reasons:

[...]

As someone mentioned an XP and Cash reward boost for "competitive" game modes might be a really good solution.

So your solution is to force everyone into free-aim servers, and then add an RP and Cash bonus in order to bribe them to stay?

gametyme89
  • gametyme89

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:15 AM

A simple prompt screen when people first get the game that asks you to choose Auto-Aim or Free-Aim before going online (Much like the Graphic Violence warning you get from the CoD campaigns) would let people know they have a choice. For those of us who already have the game and just don't know about one server or the other; a loading screen devoted specifically to inform players of the separate servers and aiming options would work wonders.. Loading screens take FOREVER as it is so mines well put some useful information on there... That would solve most if not all of the "get the info out there" problems... and then leave it to the people to decide. I am not agreeing or disagreeing with the OP but I do notice that you'd like to switch the default feature out of the box from Auto-aim to Free-Aim. If the loading screens and prompts that I suggested were added to the game would you still feel that way? Or is that just personal preference on your part? Would you disagree with auto aim being default if all were aware of their choices? Then again, if the CoD-esque prompt that I suggested asks a player to choose the FIRST time they boot online, I guess that takes the "default" out of the picture altogether lol!

FATSTOGIE
  • FATSTOGIE

Prankster

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:15 AM

Yes all PVP modes should be free aim. Only missions should be auto aim. Only against NPCs.

JohnGazman
  • JohnGazman

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:16 AM Edited by JohnGazman, 27 October 2013 - 01:18 AM.

A simple prompt screen when people first get the game that asks you to choose Auto-Aim or Free-Aim before going online (Much like the Graphic Violence warning you get from the CoD campaigns) would let people know they have a choice.

This is more like it.

HITMAN1342
  • HITMAN1342

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:18 AM

Explain.

That's lovely.

So, you were going to explain why it's presently game-breaking?

But if you like auto aim that's fine. It's just that no one is going to want to leave auto aim for 2 reasons:

[...]

As someone mentioned an XP and Cash reward boost for "competitive" game modes might be a really good solution.

So your solution is to force everyone into free-aim servers, and then add an RP and Cash bonus in order to bribe them to stay?

It was sarcasm, you must have missed the idiot I was responding to. And they give you an RP bribe to play missions on hard.... I see it no different since free aim is a bigger challenge.

gametyme89
  • gametyme89

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:23 AM

A simple prompt screen when people first get the game that asks you to choose Auto-Aim or Free-Aim before going online (Much like the Graphic Violence warning you get from the CoD campaigns) would let people know they have a choice.

This is more like it.

Why thank you good sir! :lol:

HITMAN1342
  • HITMAN1342

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:24 AM

A simple prompt screen when people first get the game that asks you to choose Auto-Aim or Free-Aim before going online (Much like the Graphic Violence warning you get from the CoD campaigns) would let people know they have a choice. For those of us who already have the game and just don't know about one server or the other; a loading screen devoted specifically to inform players of the separate servers and aiming options would work wonders.. Loading screens take FOREVER as it is so mines well put some useful information on there... That would solve most if not all of the "get the info out there" problems... and then leave it to the people to decide. I am not agreeing or disagreeing with the OP but I do notice that you'd like to switch the default feature out of the box from Auto-aim to Free-Aim. If the loading screens and prompts that I suggested were added to the game would you still feel that way? Or is that just personal preference on your part? Would you disagree with auto aim being default if all were aware of their choices? Then again, if the CoD-esque prompt that I suggested asks a player to choose the FIRST time they boot online, I guess that takes the "default" out of the picture altogether lol!

If this was the case, then this thread would not exist. It has just been my personal experience that people do more research when they want to make something easier on themselves

gametyme89
  • gametyme89

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:31 AM

If this was the case, then this thread would not exist. It has just been my personal experience that people do more research when they want to make something easier on themselves

Oh ok, I hope i'm not coming off as knocking you because that is not the case at all.. I didn't know if this thread was to hear opinions or to spread the info and enlighten people on choices or to possibly give suggestions to make things better.. Seems like we've hit all three haha!

MLO_III
  • MLO_III

Honest Cheater

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:45 AM

The error here is thinking that the GTA community is a competitive space.  Most players are casual players who enjoy light competition but aren't obsessed with winning or being "the best".  They just want to have fun.  The option is there to choose Free Aim and be more competitive but I doubt that option would suit the majority of players for this game.

I hate to agree to this, but it seems that most of the people I've encountered online fit into this category.  If it wasn't for Auto Aim, they'd likely never get a kill/be able to defend themselves.

I prefer free aim myself, It's cool if people want to play in auto-aim servers, I have nothing against that. The actual reason I switched to Free aim is because anytime I would get into a gun fight with another player, if there was a cop anywhere even remotely close to me, it would auto lock on them. I wouldn't even need to be wanted or anything, just by default cops are higher on the auto aim pyramid than other players actually firing at you. So that did it for me, and I switched over to free aim. 

This is what made me switch to free-aim in the first place as well.  Unfortunately, there's never anyone around, so the odds of running into those strangers we all love to mess with goes down a great bit.

Yes all PVP modes should be free aim. Only missions should be auto aim. Only against NPCs.

I'm as surprised as anyone this wasn't R* mentality when creating the entire online set up.  The game is geared towards Co-op (based on things like bad sports lobby, co-op missions, more fun with friends campaign), so why we're able to snap aim at our buddies in the middle of a gunfight is beyond me.

HITMAN1342
  • HITMAN1342

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:46 AM

Oh ok, I hope i'm not coming off as knocking you because that is not the case at all.. I didn't know if this thread was to hear opinions or to spread the info and enlighten people on choices or to possibly give suggestions to make things better.. Seems like we've hit all three haha!

This has been a fairly productive thread and I appreciate everyone input

mcmikezr1
  • mcmikezr1

Snitch

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:53 AM

The error here is thinking that the GTA community is a competitive space.  Most players are casual players who enjoy light competition but aren't obsessed with winning or being "the best".  They just want to have fun.  The option is there to choose Free Aim and be more competitive but I doubt that option would suit the majority of players for this game.

these casual players should not be able to kill me as i drive by at 60mph

Hojo-88
  • Hojo-88

USAF ATC

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:00 AM

Remove auto/assisted aiming from game or make free aim default.

Can't even play free anymore, empty servers. Majority should be on free and choose to switch to auto/assisted so those servers will be empty.

riksterinto
  • riksterinto

Trick

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:00 AM

Well if you didn't drive past them in a straight line, then they probably would not be able to kill you.

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

Founder And Opening Batsman: Vinewood Cricket Club

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:01 AM

If you want to play free aim (I do) you can set your game to free aim? I dont see the point in forbidding people from playing a way that they like to play.

FR_Player-One
  • FR_Player-One

NO BULLSHlT ALLOWED Pew Pew Pew - - -

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:05 AM

There is absolutely NO "competitive play" with auto aim / assisted aim. Auto aim has nothing to do with any sort of skill or competition.
So it MUST be free aim.

BTW it doesn't need to be a FPS to play free aim, see all TPS that plays free aim, and that are competitive.

And for the "auto aim badasses", suck it up.

HITMAN1342
  • HITMAN1342

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:05 AM

Well if you didn't drive past them in a straight line, then they probably would not be able to kill you.

So it's mcmikes fault that the other guy can't aim? I mean why don't they put auto steering into the game so I can hit L2/LT and have the car swerve for me to battle that?

This can go either way, and in my opinion free aim would lay this situation to rest. I also understand there is a heavy casual support on this game as well, I'm not convinced they all know about the targeting systems.

HITMAN1342
  • HITMAN1342

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:08 AM

If you want to play free aim (I do) you can set your game to free aim? I dont see the point in forbidding people from playing a way that they like to play.

You didn't read the OP clear enough I guess. This thread is about trying spread awareness of other targeting systems.

riksterinto
  • riksterinto

Trick

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:14 AM

So it's mcmikes fault that the other guy can't aim? I mean why don't they put auto steering into the game so I can hit L2/LT and have the car swerve for me to battle that?

This can go either way, and in my opinion free aim would lay this situation to rest. I also understand there is a heavy casual support on this game as well, I'm not convinced they all know about the targeting systems.

I was just trying to offer a tip.  I play mostly in AA lobbies and I never get killed while driving my car.  Swerve back and forth a bit while someone is trying to shoot at you and their AA is useless.

gametyme89
  • gametyme89

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:16 AM

There is absolutely NO "competitive play" with auto aim / assisted aim. Auto aim has nothing to do with any sort of skill or competition.
So it MUST be free aim.

BTW it doesn't need to be a FPS to play free aim, see all TPS that plays free aim, and that are competitive.

Enough people seem to have fun playing the game as it is now.. whether that be Auto-Aim or Free-Aim.. In actuality, you're the one who has to suck it up because the option is there now as it stands so until that changes you'll have to adjust. Maybe some people enjoy games without the burden of having to develop strong stick skills to survive. Honestly I feel that if a CLEAR, CONCISE choice prompt was made when players first booted up online the majority of players worldwide would probably stick to auto-aim.. Gamers who enjoy competition will go to Free-Aim sure, but I think they'd be outnumbered... and because of that I am sure most will move on and get their competitive fix from CoD or Battlefield or some other FPS or TPS that doesn't allow auto-aim. I'm not saying it's right, i'm not saying it's wrong.. I just think that is how it is.

gametyme89
  • gametyme89

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:19 AM

The game allowed "Choice" to begin with, I don't believe R* should take that "choice" from gamers and force us to use either one or the other.. I just think they need to do a better job of advertising ALL of their choices and features so everyone understands the options they have available. Leave it to the players to decide what they like.. Some will adapt, others will be upset and some will even be fed up and look elsewhere to find mechanics and gameplay that cater more to their interests.

Trenchfoot321
  • Trenchfoot321

DON'T HATE ME 'CAUSE I'M BEAUTIFUL, N**GA

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:23 AM

Necessary for the NPCs, but it actually feels like it hurts me when playing with players.  Sure, lets me pop the AI, but it's a bit slow to respond to the duck an weave maneuvers of good players, and I feel I'm better at anticipating where someone is going to be without having it lock on and be just a bit off.  Still though, for fighting NPCs, it's pretty critical due to the cover mechanics really messing with your reticle coming out.

HITMAN1342
  • HITMAN1342

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:37 AM

So it MUST be free aim.

Enough people seem to have fun playing the game as it is now.. whether that be Auto-Aim or Free-Aim.. In actuality, you're the one who has to suck it up because the option is there now as it stands so until that changes you'll have to adjust. Maybe some people enjoy games without the burden of having to develop strong stick skills to survive. Honestly I feel that if a CLEAR, CONCISE choice prompt was made when players first booted up online the majority of players worldwide would probably stick to auto-aim.. Gamers who enjoy competition will go to Free-Aim sure, but I think they'd be outnumbered... and because of that I am sure most will move on and get their competitive fix from CoD or Battlefield or some other FPS or TPS that doesn't allow auto-aim. I'm not saying it's right, i'm not saying it's wrong.. I just think that is how it is.

Essentially this would be the best fix, but the problem is NOBODY is ever in free aim deathmatch lobbies and that isn't due to everyone choosing to play free aim. Many people don't know how to get to free aim lobbies, and that is the root of the problem.

In my OP I am not saying to rid auto aim. It seems a lot of people are misunderstanding this. I mentioned free aim as default in "competitive" modes or "PVP" modes. This means that if someone is hindered by that experience they will look into possible fixes, and find auto aim. This theory doesn't work the other way around, the way it is now.

HITMAN1342
  • HITMAN1342

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:39 AM

Necessary for the NPCs, but it actually feels like it hurts me when playing with players.  Sure, lets me pop the AI, but it's a bit slow to respond to the duck an weave maneuvers of good players, and I feel I'm better at anticipating where someone is going to be without having it lock on and be just a bit off.  Still though, for fighting NPCs, it's pretty critical due to the cover mechanics really messing with your reticle coming out.

I agree with this, but this thread isn't about targeting NPC's. I like the challenge of free aim vs NPC's anyway, but I completely one-hundred percent understand this argument.

JohnGazman
  • JohnGazman

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:43 AM Edited by JohnGazman, 27 October 2013 - 02:43 AM.

I mentioned free aim as default in "competitive" modes or "PVP" modes. This means that if someone is hindered by that experience they will look into possible fixes, and find auto aim. This theory doesn't work the other way around, the way it is now.

Wait, what?

So you're saying that free-aimers that are hindered by the experience of auto-aim can't simply turn auto-aim on?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users