Quantcast

» «
Photo

Should Free Aim Be Default for Online Competitive Play?

101 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Free Aim Be Default for Online Competitive Play? (145 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Free Aim Be Default For Online Play?

1. Yes (106 votes [73.10%])

Percentage of vote: 73.10%

2. No (39 votes [26.90%])

Percentage of vote: 26.90%

Vote Guests cannot vote
HITMAN1342
  • HITMAN1342

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:19 PM

So another day and no free aim death match lobbies has me curious. Do people really like auto aim that much? Or do they not know that it exists? I always play on free aim and I've completed missions and all ten waves of survival with free aim so it's not some act of god to get kills with.  Once you get used to the aiming you realize that it is actually very fun and not all that hard to use.

With that being said, I have no problem with auto aim during PVE, it's the PVP that I feel is made irrelevant due to this glaring problem. Even then, those that want to use auto aim they can do so by switching the aim settings before jumping onlne though I don't see the fun or competitiveness in it at all. To each his own.

Brainberry
  • Brainberry

Tiger Lion King Of The World

• Members

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:24 PM

In Deathmatch/LMS/TDM yes I think it should. 

Actually it should be even in free roam. Its funny how people talk about getting into gun fights in a aim assist session. They don't realize how stupid they sound. " yeah man, I totally out gunned this guy earlier" haha, yeah, pressing a button to auto lock on someone is nothing to be proud of. 

GotDjent?
  • GotDjent?

See you on the other side.

• Members

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:26 PM

No. Because this is Grand Theft Auto, not -insert generic FPS-. 

• BlakeZ likes this

loudanddumb
  • loudanddumb

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:29 PM

auto aim on the internet is the worst thing i heard of... 

HITMAN1342
  • HITMAN1342

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:32 PM

I understand that, but shooting plays a large role in GTA and not making it a skill for players online to develop and use to compete isn't taking full advantage of the game in my opinion. As I've said PVE I have no problem with auto aim

HITMAN1342
  • HITMAN1342

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:33 PM

Actually it should be even in free roam. Its funny how people talk about getting into gun fights in a aim assist session. They don't realize how stupid they sound. " yeah man, I totally out gunned this guy earlier" haha, yeah, pressing a button to auto lock on someone is nothing to be proud of. 

My thoughts exactly

TanSeeker
  • TanSeeker

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:16 PM

Really should be on free-aim. I only played on free aim on the single player for the first two weeks and a week online then once it said a server was using a different aim mode so I changed over.... seeing this thread I'm gonna change back....
Its more interactive and rewarding.

iBUCKEYE
  • iBUCKEYE

Die Hard is a Christmas movie

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:27 PM

That's a sh*t excuse for auto-aim.

karmaman1010
  • karmaman1010

Snitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:28 PM

GTA is competitive? Oh, ok.

• yesir1 likes this

SKaREO
  • SKaREO

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:30 PM

lol competitive play, you mean sports? this is a video game m8, read: pastime.

EyeMacHunt
  • EyeMacHunt

Tank Hunter

• Members

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:32 PM

Brainberry your sig is f*cking awesome.

JohnGazman
  • JohnGazman

"Jesus Christ Lamar, you gotta stop talkin'!"

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:33 PM Edited by JohnGazman, 26 October 2013 - 11:36 PM.

Actually it should be even in free roam.

If only R* had created seperate Free-aim and Auto-aim servers.

Oh, wait...

I'm pro-choice here. You want Auto-aim TDMs, go into an Auto-aim lobby. You want Free-aim TDMs, go into a Free-aim lobby.

• GotDjent? likes this

HITMAN1342
  • HITMAN1342

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:55 PM Edited by HITMAN1342, 26 October 2013 - 11:58 PM.

Actually it should be even in free roam.

If only R* had created seperate Free-aim and Auto-aim servers.

Oh, wait...

I'm pro-choice here. You want Auto-aim TDMs, go into an Auto-aim lobby. You want Free-aim TDMs, go into a Free-aim lobby.

You're still getting the choice here, the game is just more fun without auto aim. It's like playing Monopoly without dice, when it's your turn you just choose which space you want to land on. Takes a lot out of the game doesn't it?

The problem is the free aim lobbies are almost always empty, and I think it's because a lot of players don't know that free aim exists or that there are in fact different servers for each targeting mode.

Son_Of_Sparda
  • Son_Of_Sparda

Demon Desparado

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:02 AM

I would like the red dead style menu's back so If Im in a Auto aim lobby I can join a free aim death match, very frustrating how If I want to change my aiming style I have to back out to the single player and change it.

• abfirstr8 likes this

HITMAN1342
  • HITMAN1342

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:08 AM

Yes, welcome to online gaming my friend. You're going to love it

X_EnglishPride_X
  • X_EnglishPride_X

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:08 AM

How do you turn Auto Aim off? I agree with most people on here. Auto Aim is good when doing missions but it takes all element of skill out of the game when playing PVP or when in a lobby. Getting taken out buy LVL 10s who start shooting you as you speeding past is annoying.

riksterinto
  • riksterinto

Trick

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:09 AM

The error here is thinking that the GTA community is a competitive space.  Most players are casual players who enjoy light competition but aren't obsessed with winning or being "the best".  They just want to have fun.  The option is there to choose Free Aim and be more competitive but I doubt that option would suit the majority of players for this game.

HITMAN1342
  • HITMAN1342

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:12 AM

I would like the red dead style menu's back so If Im in a Auto aim lobby I can join a free aim death match, very frustrating how If I want to change my aiming style I have to back out to the single player and change it.

This sounds like a good idea, I don't mind auto aim in the lobbies themselves as I do in death matches and such. Although I still choose to play in free aim free roams so I know I'll have a fighting chance if a guy is stalking me :p

SKaREO
  • SKaREO

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:14 AM

Only competitive online games I can think of is the original Counter-Strike and StarCraft II, League of Legends and DOTA are a bit of a stretch, but at least they have big tournaments. GTA Online isn't exactly in that class of games though, unfortunately. Those games are considered eSports.

silentunion
  • silentunion

Prankster

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:14 AM

My only question with having the free aim as default would be for newbs that might not know there's the option to auto aim. I think it works better if they later on find out they can freely aim as opposed to the other way around.

HITMAN1342
  • HITMAN1342

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:15 AM

The error here is thinking that the GTA community is a competitive space.  Most players are casual players who enjoy light competition but aren't obsessed with winning or being "the best".  They just want to have fun.  The option is there to choose Free Aim and be more competitive but I doubt that option would suit the majority of players for this game.

I will agree with this post, but I just wish everyone would give free aim the chance. If it was the default this would be the case and players really couldn't handle it they would look for the solution in auto aim. Maybe have a help icon pop or inform players that free aim users will only be matched with other free aim users.

HostilityFactor
  • HostilityFactor

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:18 AM

I prefer free aim myself, It's cool if people want to play in auto-aim servers, I have nothing against that. The actual reason I switched to Free aim is because anytime I would get into a gun fight with another player, if there was a cop anywhere even remotely close to me, it would auto lock on them. I wouldn't even need to be wanted or anything, just by default cops are higher on the auto aim pyramid than other players actually firing at you. So that did it for me, and I switched over to free aim. 

HITMAN1342
  • HITMAN1342

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:21 AM

Only competitive online games I can think of is the original Counter-Strike and StarCraft II, League of Legends and DOTA are a bit of a stretch, but at least they have big tournaments. GTA Online isn't exactly in that class of games though, unfortunately. Those games are considered eSports.

I've never heard that term before, but don't all games have to have a little competitiveness? I mean who wants to lose? Every game has a strategy, but if you're playing deathmatch that strategy is just hitting L2/LT you know?

Kammakazi
  • Kammakazi

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:26 AM

Competitive play?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Elemental716
  • Elemental716

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:27 AM

I feel like a lot of people dont even realize you can or how to change the aim style. Also why have 3 different choices? should be Free aim and assisted aim only. By having traditional aim they just limit the amount of people anyone can play with. Add in bad sport and thats 6 different groups of players that can't play with each other. No wonder missions and jobs are empty. 

JohnGazman
  • JohnGazman

"Jesus Christ Lamar, you gotta stop talkin'!"

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:28 AM

You're still getting the choice here, the game is just more fun without auto aim. It's like playing Monopoly without dice, when it's your turn you just choose which space you want to land on. Takes a lot out of the game doesn't it?

The problem is the free aim lobbies are almost always empty, and I think it's because a lot of players don't know that free aim exists or that there are in fact different servers for each targeting mode.

That's a matter of opinion. The game is more fun for you without AA. It's more fun for others with AA.

The solution to the lack of players in Free-aim lobbies is not to force everyone into Free-aim by default. It's to educate people to the existence of Free-aim servers. And then to accept the fact that if they're still empty, perhaps there aren't as many fans of Free-aim as you assume there are.

Tdubinmadtown33
  • Tdubinmadtown33

Glitcher

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:28 AM

Go play BF4 or call of duty ghosts. This is a 3rd person RPG.

HITMAN1342
  • HITMAN1342

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:30 AM

Competitive play?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The term was used in order to distinguish between Deathmatches, Races, and LTS games from Missions and Free Mode. I'm sorry you didn't understand that.

HITMAN1342
  • HITMAN1342

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:35 AM

That's a matter of opinion. The game is more fun for you without AA. It's more fun for others with AA.

The solution to the lack of players in Free-aim lobbies is not to force everyone into Free-aim by default. It's to educate people to the existence of Free-aim servers. And then to accept the fact that if they're still empty, perhaps there aren't as many fans of Free-aim as you assume there are.

That is my opinion, correct. However, People don't look for reasons to hinder their game. The mindset here is "Well why would I want to use free aim when he/she gets to use auto aim". Making Online free aim default (Notice we're not forcing anything on anyone here) rather than auto aim would make people explore the options more. Would help if Rockstar made a clear notification that when changing targeting systems they will be matched based on that. They do notify you that you will be put in a different server, but that may not be clear enough for most players.

Pinnkiepie
  • Pinnkiepie

PIE

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:37 AM

Would be nice if they added a +20 % RP and Money bonus if using Free-Aim (Regarding DeathMatches, LTS, Free-Roam and Survival).

Maybe it would motivate more people to use Free Aim instead of Auto :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users